• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Nothing wrong with pushing the party leftward, at all. Or primarying shitty house members. Again, she's much closer to the future (and current) direction of the party and there's a reason why AOC has resonated and it's not because of comic book quotes. If it's a battle of establishment versus insurgancy, she will win out in the end. Because that's the future.

You're conflating the public with her place of work. She may be a rock star on social media and with her followers but as a politician she's a freshman with very few allies. How will she win? Why wouldnt the leadership just pick someone else who's less of a pain to deal with? AOC, like any politician, can't simply choose to become a leader in the party she needs to master congress to do so. This has nothing to do with doing the party leftward, it's how she does it. I don't think her influence will get to their peak when she's frozen out of committees and her bills aren't voted for by the majority of House Dems.

Voting for Pelosi was good, that's the type of thing she needs to do more of, this behaviour is not that. Pelosi isn't going to hand her over leadership positions just because she votes for her occasionally. She needs to gain that trust, like you do with any boss.

edit: When you're in a work place or a political organisation or a charity, do you normally ignore the rules of that space? AOC is doing that right now, as I explained upthread. You may not care for how she tweets or primaries rivals, but her work colleagues do. I don't like how they're so stodgy, either, but this is what she signed up for. Did you honestly think the Dems don't have any rules or customs for how they run their organisations?

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
if you think that my tiny post about her is unreasonable and worth criticism, then i'm pretty sure i'm not the one overreacting. like, damn, re-read this entire conversation and honestly tell me who was in the wrong here. disagree with me about it, that's fine. but the conclusions that poster reached based on that post were crazy.

i understand that right now we are all skeptical of people's intentions when they say something regarding the current things happening in our country, but if you can't take THAT level of criticism against a politician without assuming the worst, then you're not really going to be able to handle any serious discussions going forward.
you can't have someone accuse you of criticising a woc without accusing them of calling you "trash" and you keep coming back with even bigger paragraphs.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
You're conflating the public with her place of work. She may be a rock star on social media and with her followers but as a politician she's a freshmen with very few allies. How will she win? Why wouldnt the leadership just pick someone else who's less of a pain to deal with? AOC, like any politician, can't simply choose to become a leader in the party she needs to master congress to do so. This has nothing to do with doing the party leftward, it's how she does it. I don't think her influence will get to their peak when she's frozen out of committees and her bills aren't voted for by the majority of House Dems.
How bout instead of overreacting to politico articles we let the girl work and see for ourselves, eh?

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
you can't have someone accuse you of criticising a woc without accusing them of calling you "trash" and you keep coming back with even bigger paragraphs.

i'm defending myself because i shared a very tame opinion and like 5 posters decided to get mad about it and assume the worst of me

and if you can't see how accusing someone of being racist is the equivalent of calling you trash, then i don't know what to tell you. i think we all would consider people like that to be trash.

i am not an enemy, at all

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
How bout instead of overreacting to politico articles we let the girl work and see for ourselves, eh?

This isn't about a random politico article it's about her career as a politician. It's not my problem if she self destructs, I have other politicians on my side who know how the game works, but if you insist on AOC continuing this line behaviour all I can say is

please-proceed.gif

Which is to bad, I liked AOC.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
i'm defending myself because i shared a very tame opinion and like 5 posters decided to get mad about it and assume the worst of me

and if you can't see how accusing someone of being racist is the equivalent of calling you trash, then i don't know what to tell you. i think we all would consider people like that to be trash.

i am not an enemy, at all

p1: "i like her but she needs to dial it back. she's starting to feel more like a meme than someone to take seriously. the emoji put it over the top i think. "
p2: "She doesn't "need" to do anything lol, she's scaring the appropriate people. Nice tone policing though. "
p1: "jesus, you sound like a teenager defending a celebrity you're obsessed with. that was the lightest criticism imaginable and you're talking about tone policing. get outta here with this overly combative shit. "
p2: "It wasn't even criticism, it was literally telling a WOC to "behave" because it makes you uncomfortable."

i don't see where p2 accused p1 of being racist. or called them trash. I do see where they told p1 they were "tone policing" a woman of color.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't about a random politico article it's about her career as a politician. It's not my problem if she self destructs, I have other politicians on my side who know how the game works, but if you insist on AOC continuing this line behaviour all I can say is

please-proceed.gif

It's amazing how easy it is for certain so called liberals to write off their own champions.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
p1: "i like her but she needs to dial it back. she's starting to feel more like a meme than someone to take seriously. the emoji put it over the top i think. "
p2: "She doesn't "need" to do anything lol, she's scaring the appropriate people. Nice tone policing though. "
p1: "jesus, you sound like a teenager defending a celebrity you're obsessed with. that was the lightest criticism imaginable and you're talking about tone policing. get outta here with this overly combative shit. "
p2: "It wasn't even criticism, it was literally telling a WOC to "behave" because it makes you uncomfortable."

i don't see where p2 accused p1 of being racist. or called them trash. I do see where they told p1 they were "tone policing" a woman of color.

the person brought up her race and said it made me "uncomfortable". the implication of racism is pretty blatant. idk why you're pretending it's not there.

anyways, that person just got banned for it, so evidently there was something there. i'm not gloating about it, but at least now i know i'm not taking crazy pills.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're conflating the public with her place of work. She may be a rock star on social media and with her followers but as a politician she's a freshman with very few allies. How will she win? Why wouldnt the leadership just pick someone else who's less of a pain to deal with? AOC, like any politician, can't simply choose to become a leader in the party she needs to master congress to do so. This has nothing to do with doing the party leftward, it's how she does it. I don't think her influence will get to their peak when she's frozen out of committees and her bills aren't voted for by the majority of House Dems.

Voting for Pelosi was good, that's the type of thing she needs to do more of, this behaviour is not that. Pelosi isn't going to hand her over leadership positions just because she votes for her occasionally. She needs to gain that trust, like you do with any boss.

edit: When you're in a work place or a political organisation or a charity, do you normally ignore the rules of that space? AOC is doing that right now, as I explained upthread. You may not care for how she tweets or primaries rivals, but her work colleagues do. I don't like how they're so stodgy, either, but this is what she signed up for. Did you honestly think the Dems don't have any rules or customs for how they run their organisations?

wtf i hate aoc now

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
the person brought up her race and said it made me "uncomfortable". the implication of racism is pretty blatant. idk why you're pretending it's not there.

anyways, that person just got banned for it, so evidently there was something there. i'm not gloating about it, but at least now i know i'm not taking crazy pills.
actually they say that her behaviour is what makes you uncomfortable, not her race. that seems to be more your implication than theirs, but hmm hmmm hmmmmmm

all very illuminating.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's amazing how easy it is for certain so called liberals to write off their own champions.

I'm not writing AOC off, she'd doing this to herself. I have no interest in lost causes, I want congress to do something about them. Right now AOC is all talk, show me victories passing bills in congress and I'll be there right with you at her side.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently, learning the ropes means spending most of your time begging for money instead of actual work

AOC's chief of staff:

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, it's a wrap for AOC, she quoted from either a 30 year old graphic novel, or a 10 year old movie, and even dared to use an emoji!

I better start being concerned about writing off the political career of someone who has been officially in Congress for less than two weeks because she's just a little beyond the veil of the decorum!

Jesus fucking Christ people, the woman barely made it 30 days into 2019 without fake nudes being posted around in an attempt to smear her before she even begun, and ya'll want to talk about how she needs to "reign it in, she needs to fall in line to become [generic democrat]."

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh no, it's a wrap for AOC, she quoted from either a 30 year old graphic novel, or a 10 year old movie, and even dared to use an emoji!

I better start being concerned about writing off the political career of someone who has been officially in Congress for less than two weeks because she's just a little beyond the veil of the decorum!

Jesus fucking Christ people, the woman barely made it 30 days into 2019 without fake nudes being posted around in an attempt to smear her before she even begun, and ya'll want to talk about how she needs to "reign it in, she needs to fall in line to become [generic democrat]."

People are effectively purity testing her, and it's funny cause it's coming from the types who typically whine about purity tests.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Apparently, learning the ropes means spending most of your time begging for money instead of actual work

AOC's chief of staff:

In congress that is actual work, it's part of the job. When election times come AOC won't have those coffers filled, she'll be starting from scratch.

People are effectively purity testing her, and it's funny cause it's coming from the types who typically whine about purity tests.

This is not purity testing, it's about her being able to function in her place of work and being able to get the most out of her career as a politician. Which means working with other politicians.

Yes. Her work has barely begun as a congresswoman. She isn't close to achieving her ambitions she's been talking about there. She's got 2 years to figure it out.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
This is not purity testing, it's about her being able to function in her place of work and being able to get the most out of her career as a politician. Which means working with other politicians.

I'm not quite following how, well, anything centered around what AOC did to warrant this topic being created in the first place affects her ability to function in her place of work.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana

please-proceed.gif

giphy.gif

Fam, her career that's been going on for about half a year, or really, about a month has seen her being nothing but authentic leading to her already being about the most popular Dem not named Obama and has earned her the constant ire of the entire Conservative media. So, I think she'll be fine. As long as she's representing her constituents properly, which entails being unabashedly progressive and pushing the establishment, she'll be doing her job properly.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In congress that is actual work, it's part of the job. When election times come AOC won't have those coffers filled, she'll be starting from scratch.

No, it's definitely purity testing. Making such prescriptive judgements and this Congress hasn't been in session two full weeks.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not writing AOC off, she'd doing this to herself. I have no interest in lost causes, I want congress to do something about them. Right now AOC is all talk, show me victories passing bills in congress and I'll be there right with you at her side.
Nothing progressive is getting passed for the next two years. There's plenty of other work a congressperson can do for their constituency though.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
i like her but she needs to dial it back. she's starting to feel more like a meme than someone to take seriously. the emoji put it over the top i think.

I disagree.

The dems have been far too passive and enabling for far too long towards the Republicans. It's long past time to take it up a notch or two, and AOC is doing exactly that. It's why she is so popular right now and resonating with the public all around, because people are glad to finally see a Democrat with some fire in their belly.

She's doing just fine, I say let her be her.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I disagree.

The dems have been far too passive and enabling for far too long towards the Republicans. It's long past time to take it up a notch or two, and AOC is doing exactly that. It's why she is so popular right now and resonating with the public all around, because people are glad to finally see a Democrat with some fire in their belly.

She's doing just fine, I say let her be her.

Her doing this is not going to turn the party into a bunch of AOC clones.

She is not fine, letting her be may have drastic consequences to her career and accomplishments in congress.

Having fire is fine, knowing the time when and how to use it properly is something else.

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's so a part of their job as a congressperson that they can't even do those calls at congress. They have a special call center just to beg for money. And yeah, she'll be starting from scratch, but she'll be pulling in small donations from everyday folks, not calling rich people and listening to their problems.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even agree with a lot of her ideas, but it's so refreshing to see someone who points all the BS in politics for the joke that it is. Armchair pundits in this thread telling her she needs to lay low included. Let AOC be AOC.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Nothing progressive is getting passed for the next two years. There's plenty of other work a congressperson can do for their constituency though.

She can push to get bills as progressive as possible, she's supposed to be there fighting for her people not giving up whence arrives with the big stuff. Big stuff doesn't happen unless it gets done. This is the right time to start moving in that direction, and it never will unless she's able to work out a strategy to do it there.

She can do more than work for her constituency.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Going by those examples they are going to do and say shit no matter what so why be passive to their fuckery?

It hasn't worked in the past and isn't going to work now.
I'm not suggesting to be totally passive, just take a quality over quantity approach on Twitter especially when dealing with pundits/trolls. Don't want her to get burnt out. That combined with stress ususally leads to mistakes.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Yeah, it's so a part of their job as a congressperson that they can't even do those calls at congress. They have a special call center just to beg for money. And yeah, she'll be starting from scratch, but she'll be pulling in small donations from everyday folks, not calling rich people and listening to their problems.

Which would be a death knell in an area where she was in actual danger of being overthrown by Republicans, where many of her colleagues are. She's not Beto with small donations. The establishment know her now, as well, and she faces problems via redictricting - the latter worked in her favour in her election, which can be turned against her by the New York Political Machine.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Her doing this is not going to turn the party into a bunch of AOC clones.

She is not fine, letting her be may have drastic consequences to her career and accomplishments in congress.

Having fire is fine, knowing the time when and how to use it properly is something else.

No one wants a party of AOC clones. They want a party they can trust and have faith in, a party of honesty and honor. A party for and of the people rather than the corporations. So far AOC seems to be all of that, and the majority doesn't seem to care if she does not fit the "standard mold" of a typical politician. In fact, that is WHY the public likes her so much. It's why Trump won in 2016 too, same reasons; different behavior and temperament and full of lies, but same reasons. It's a large part of why Bernie was so successful in 2016 as well.

She's inspiring to people, particularly the younger crowd, and she is only the beginning of a new breed of politicians who will be coming into DC. A breed who do not fit the "mold".

To hell with the mold, frack the old ways of doing things. They've been broken for too long, it's time to throw them out and start something new.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
The ones here that are defending AOC like she can do no wrong are probably the same young voters that realized Republican party was comprised of a bunch of racists just within the past decade. A lot of you are naive as fuck.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Which would be a death knell in an area where she was in actual danger of being overthrown by Republicans, where many of her colleagues are. She's not Beto with small donations. The establishment know her now, as well, and she faces problems via redictricting - the latter worked in her favour in her election, which can be turned against her by the New York Political Machine.
Even politicians in heavily blue areas do telemarketing. Since Citizens United, the Democrats have been begging for money.

Also, Betos small contributions were 45% of his total while AOC's was 62%.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
No one wants a party of AOC clones. They want a party they can trust and have faith in, a party of honesty and honor. A party for and of the people rather than the corporations. So far AOC seems to be all of that, and the majority doesn't seem to care if she does not fit the "standard mold" of a typical politician. In fact, that is WHY the public likes her so much. It's why Trump won in 2016 too, same reasons; different behavior and temperament and full of lies, but same reasons. It's a large part of why Bernie was so successful in 2016 as well.

She's inspiring to people, particularly the younger crowd, and she is only the beginning of a new breed of politicians who will be coming into DC. A breed who do not fit the "mold".

To hell with the mold, frack the old ways of doing things. It's time to throw them out and start something new.

The public aren't the ones she's working with to achieve her goals, she's working with the Democratic party - who have their own customs and rules. If she didn't want to abide by them she shouldn't have ran, what did you think was going to happen once she won? Being "different" isn't necessarily a good thing when you don't have the capacity to work with people on your own team. What's she supposed to do?

Your intentions are fine, but there is no plan here for how to get there. AOC certainly doesn't have one, either. We're stuck with Democrats because there is nobody else with the political might to help those in need.

Bernie wasn't successful, he lost the nomination. He doesn't get a medal for second place.

AOC isn't in position to do any of what you're proposing, she's got like 6 allies and Pelosi certainly isn't going to do this for her.

Being a Maverick is great in fiction, in the real world it get you burnt bridges unless you can use that to your advantage.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Even politicians in heavily blue areas do telemarketing. Since Citizens United, the Democrats have been begging for money.

Also, Betos small contributions were 45% of his total while AOC's was 62%.

They've been doing this before Citizens United.

AOC's donations: $2,014,746

Beto's donations: $78,961,689

Deleted member 22490

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They've been doing this before Citizens United.

AOC's donations: $2,014,746

Beto's donations: $78,961,689
One was statewide for a large state and the other was a house district.

At any rate, the purpose of that tweet is to show that the Democratic Party itself is more concerned about money than with actually doing their job. And with that concern about money, they listen and focus on the problems of the rich.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
One was statewide for a large state and the other was a house district.

At any rate, the purpose of that tweet is to show that the Democratic Party itself is more concerned about money than with actually doing their job. And with that concern about money, they listen and focus on the problems of the rich.

Indeed it was, and the results speak for themselves. Beto had a harder path than she did, and managed that. If she wishes to ever move out of that area or not be vulnerable to redistricting like her opponent was her career rides on getting those donations to incredible levels down the line, because winning elections won't always be that easy.

You can concerned about money, while doing their job. Sure that comes with caveats to the wealthy, but public donations has its own disadvantages so it's not like she's in a better position. She's in a safe district for now, but how long is that going to last?

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
How long before Moore issues a grumpy statement about how terrible an adaptation her quote was?