• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's amazing how easy it is for certain so called liberals to write off their own champions.
Probably because a fair amount of people on The Left™ have been burned by their champion(s), inspiration(s), etc. I can speak for myself since I was pretty disgusted to hear what James Portnow of Extra Credits fame did to Soraya.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I think so. People are not prepared to accept the new norm of twitter politics and want to go back to those innocent days before social media where politicians made deals in smoke-filled backrooms instead of throwing shade in public.

This didn't go away.

giphy.gif

Fam, her career that's been going on for about half a year, or really, about a month has seen her being nothing but authentic leading to her already being about the most popular Dem not named Obama and has earned her the constant ire of the entire Conservative media. So, I think she'll be fine. As long as she's representing her constituents properly, which entails being unabashedly progressive and pushing the establishment, she'll be doing her job properly.

Her job in congress recently started, and it's not solely about all that. This isn't about popularity or being authentic, it's about reaching her potential as a politician. Serving her constituents is half of her job, the other half is participating in congress - rising in leadership, voting and supporting bills, making alliances with other politicians. That becomes harder to do with tweets like this.

I'm not quite following how, well, anything centered around what AOC did to warrant this topic being created in the first place affects her ability to function in her place of work.

She's been having problems upsetting others in congress with her tweets. That's how it affects her work.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...they-hope-to-get-her-to-fall-into-line.92815/

Last edited:

Bonafide

Oct 11, 2018
I think these tweets best sum up my feelings.

I have to disagree with this. The only people so rabid about tearing AOC down are not her supporters, they would be the ones like who are threatened by what her, Bernie, and what some of the newer democrats represent: a potential shift in power that's not picked from the established order. It should give you a red flag why everyone from the talking heads at CNN, your standard conservative grifters, and even folks from her own "side" are tripping over themselves to stifle whatever momentum she has. People are hungry for progressive politicians who are authentic and can speak to power instead of the standard democrat "we have to compromise", "we can only fight for incremental change", which is why another way of saying that we can't fight against the wealthy powers in this country and have to wait on their terms for change.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
i took it the obvious way that it was meant for me to take it, and you're pretending like you don't understand it. you do. you know you do.

No, Akira86 is correct.

p2: "It wasn't even criticism, it was literally telling a WOC to "behave" because it makes you uncomfortable."

Ain't no one referring to a woman of colour as "it". The "it" is clearly referring to her behavior as that is what you were referring to:

p1: "i like her but she needs to dial it back.

Women and people of colour get talked down to in a way that white men don't, so telling a woman of colour that she needs to "dial it back" is a bad look even if her being a WOC has nothing to do with your issues with her.

The issue isn't you specifically, it's the multitude of folks who are otherwise on her side talking down to her and insisting they know better regarding what she should say and how she should act.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I have to disagree with this. The only people so rabid about tearing AOC down are not her supporters, they would be the ones like who are threatened by what her, Bernie, and what some of the newer democrats represent: a potential shift in power that's not picked from the established order. It should give you a red flag why everyone from the talking heads at CNN, your standard conservative grifters, and even folks from her own "side" are tripping over themselves to stifle whatever momentum she has. People are hungry for progressive politicians who are authentic and can speak to power instead of the standard democrat "we have to compromise", "we can only fight for incremental change", which is why another way of saying that we can't fight against the wealthy powers in this country and have to wait on their terms for change.
We build people up and then get mad that they're not the person we envisioned all the time. That's obviously not her fault, but we've been here so many times.

My issue is with this as a practice. Not her specifically.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018

That isn't the full picture. Are there bad actors trying to sabotage her and are scared of her? Sure. You are right about those who fear what she represents as a shift in power within the party and the political scene. Where this goes too far is calling anyone who disagrees with her methods as a "red flag" of a possible enemy, rather than acknowledge what they're saying can be a legit it criticism and whether you agree with them or ignoring when you don't think they are right. She's a person, who makes mistakes and everyone is free to criticise how she does things. That comes with the job, particularly being a high profile politician who terrifies segments in both parties. Her momentum isn't going to get stopped by some posts on a message board, she's safe with her followers at this time. People are hungry for that, where I disagree here is that the idea all it takes is defeat the "Powers That Be" are some heated rhetoric in the press and social media then they'll roll over and play fetch. You're severely underestimating the forces allied against AOC's influence with that analysis. It's impotant to be realistic with expectations or it'll be that much easier for her followers to turn on her when she does something they don't like, as those tweets explained upthread.

Last edited:

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
My issue is with this as a practice. Not her specifically.

Then you probably shouldn't bring it up in a discussion specifically about her.

I mean, "we need to teach young people about the effects of alcohol" is a perfectly fine thing to say, unless it's said in response to a news story about a girl being gang-raped while intoxicated, by a group of boys she thought were her friends, in which case it becomes horrific victim blaming. It changes the context completely and assumes the victim was ignorant of the effects of alcohol and that the rape somehow wouldn't have happened had she been educated, when the real issue is the boys and their decision to rape.

"We shouldn't put people on a pedestal" is perfectly cromulent advice, but when offered as a response to people praising and supporting AOC it's only to to come across as criticism of her, specifically.

Oct 25, 2017
Then you probably shouldn't bring it up in a discussion specifically about her.

I mean, "we need to teach young people about the effects of alcohol" is a perfectly fine thing to say, unless it's said in response to a news story about a girl being gang-raped while intoxicated, by a group of boys she thought were her friends, in which case it becomes horrific victim blaming. It changes the context completely and assumes the victim was ignorant of the effects of alcohol and that the rape somehow wouldn't have happened had she been educated, when the real issue is the boys and their decision to rape.

"We shouldn't put people on a pedestal" is perfectly cromulent advice, but when offered as a response to people praising and supporting AOC it's only to to come across as criticism of her, specifically.
Nah, it's pretty relevant here.

This isn't a thread about people attacking her, this is a thread about how awesome she is for quoting Watchmen.

I specifically posted this in here and not the thread about how she gets along with Democrats for a reason.

But nice metaphor.

Last edited:

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The amount of attention this woman gets is absolutely insane. Based purely on the media attention you would think she's the president elect or something. I think the main reason people love her is because she's getting attacked from all sides, yet she stands her ground and fights back.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
She's been having problems upsetting others in congress with her tweets. That's how it affects her work.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...they-hope-to-get-her-to-fall-into-line.92815/

I highly doubt jokingly quoting a comic book and/or movie in response to someone else's joke is going to affect her at work in any way.

All of your concerns relate to stuff brought up in this other topic as opposed to this one (unless you're going to start bringing this point up in every AOC topic that comes up from now on)

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
This isn't a thread about people attacking her, this is a thread about how awesome she is for quoting Watchmen.

Nah, this is a thread in which the op posted a single tweet without context. This is a thread where people respond both positiviely and negatively to the tweet, saying they thought the tweet was awesome or corny or cringeworthy. This is also a thread where some insist on talking down to those they deem to be responding "incorrectly".

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
I highly doubt jokingly quoting a comic book and/or movie in response to someone else's joke is going to affect her at work in any way.

All of your concerns relate to stuff brought up in this other topic as opposed to this one (unless you're going to start bringing this point up in every AOC topic that comes up from now on)

That's fair, I'll keep it separated from now on.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is a thread in which the op posted a single tweet without context. This is a thread where people respond both positiviely and negatively to the tweet, saying they thought the tweet was awesome or corny or cringeworthy. This is also a thread where some insist on talking down to those they deem to be responding "incorrectly".
If you want to interpret it that way.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
You're conflating the public with her place of work. She may be a rock star on social media and with her followers but as a politician she's a freshman with very few allies. How will she win? Why wouldnt the leadership just pick someone else who's less of a pain to deal with? AOC, like any politician, can't simply choose to become a leader in the party she needs to master congress to do so. This has nothing to do with doing the party leftward, it's how she does it. I don't think her influence will get to their peak when she's frozen out of committees and her bills aren't voted for by the majority of House Dems.

Voting for Pelosi was good, that's the type of thing she needs to do more of, this behaviour is not that. Pelosi isn't going to hand her over leadership positions just because she votes for her occasionally. She needs to gain that trust, like you do with any boss.

edit: When you're in a work place or a political organisation or a charity, do you normally ignore the rules of that space? AOC is doing that right now, as I explained upthread. You may not care for how she tweets or primaries rivals, but her work colleagues do. I don't like how they're so stodgy, either, but this is what she signed up for. Did you honestly think the Dems don't have any rules or customs for how they run their organisations?

You ignore the rules when the rules are fucked and need changing. And that's exactly where things are IMO. The more new and more progressive congresspeople in the party push, the better it is. The established "way things are done" is some straight up bullshit and I love that she (and hopefully others to follow) aren't showing up and just toeing the line.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AOC is great. Some of you people clutching your pearls over the hype are ridiculous. Yeah, people are excited she isnt some 70 year old ghoul beholden to corporate interests like the most of the party. God forbid.

Oct 25, 2017

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Lol. Her twitter is great.

Love how people are analyzing it so critically cause it's clearly the most serious tweet.

Oct 25, 2017

You're miss reading the statement. It's not about the current group of people who are 'coming for her' but her rapid supporters. She's specifically highlighting how people build up pedestals for annointed ones so high that when even the smallest hiccup occurs they're ready to throw them to the side. It's all about setting up too high of expectations and thinking they will be good 24/7 with no failures.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🙄These people need to lighten the fuck up and stop taking themselves so seriously.

They're right. Especially places like here on Era. As soon as AOC does something they don't like a portion of the people who are loving her are going to turn on her hard. That's plain as day.

But I agree that people should lighten up and enjoy the ride. She seems to be incredibly bright and I'm sure she has a long future in politics.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
It happens in this very forum. Anytime a democrat does something that is closer to the center, or maybe a little to the right, then suddenly posters are saying things like "I always knew he/she was horrible", "He has always been shit" or other variety of similar comments from certain left members of the forum. Cortez will inevitably say things and make decisions that will get those same responses.