• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty tough situation all round really, and it's easy to stand on the outside and decide what the right thing to do is.

I don't think you know how you'd react in that situation until you experience it, and I can understand why the parents are acting like they are, but I'd like to think that in a similar situation I'd be able to accept the doctors opinion, are the parents doing this for the boy?, or themselves?.

Even if they did manage to prolong his life, what kind of quality of life would he have?.

Also, the amount of abuse the hospital staff, and the way people have, and are, acting outside the hospital is pretty unforgivable, there are sick children in that place, and the staff dedicate their lives to helping them, it's no way to treat them.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England
Just been sent some "undercover" recording that the hospital is covering something up, cue to me reading Facebook comments, something about pharmaceutical companies paying Alder Hay billions to do some tests on him which explains his bruises.

Christ almighty.

Another comment suggesting that 100,000 people should turn up at the hospital and take the child by force.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, people put down dogs with more mercy than this. How long can that go on, life as a brainless vegetable? Sounds dystopian

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
This case is ridiculous, it's not like the parents are asking for money or something, just let them take their son wherever they want; if the hospital has given up and don't want to continue treatment, then the father should have every right to take the son from there and go with him wherever the fuck he wants.

Stupid burocrats trying to kill him, first disconnecting him and now starving him.

Infuriating case.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This case is ridiculous, it's not like the parents are asking for money or something, just let them take their son wherever they want; if the hospital has given up and don't want to continue treatment, then the father should have every right to take the son from there and go with him wherever the fuck he wants.

Stupid burocrats trying to kill him, first disconnecting him and now starving him.

Infuriating case.

lol

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I can't say for sure about those specific claims, but a lot of that has been going on.

Video:
Protestors attempt to storm the hospital
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-43867132

Video:
Scenes outside the hospital with the protestors blocking the road and abusing passers.
http://metro.co.uk/video/alfie-evans-protest-mob-block-road-outside-hospital-1674996/?ito=vjs-link

These protestors a bunch of idiots and a disgrace to the memory of this boy.
Absolute bunch of idiots (the protesters) blocking a hospital?! It must be scary for any genuine users of the hospital trying to get by those people. Also hitting a car as it drove by - what?!

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Infuriating case.
Because it's tantamount to child abuse.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If my son was brain dead and there was no chance of recovery I wouldn't want him to be in a state like this. But I am not a father so it's hard to judge. I can't even imagine what the parents must be going through.

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
A lot of self-appointed experts with very shallow viewings of the situation, whipping themselves up into a mad conspirational frenzy. That is 'Alfie's Army'. I feel bad for the parents though, not because I agree with them but rather because it is a situation I cannot even imagine going through.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Because it's tantamount to child abuse.
Well yeah, it's much better to try to kill him by disconnecting him, and now that he breathes by himself, you have to starve him; more than 30 hours now. Great logic there.

Let the parents decide, not some armchair burocrat who have no empathy whatsoever. Let the kid go to Italy or Nigeria or wherever the fuck his parents want to take him, to get to doctors that want to try and save his life, and get away from the doctors that want to forcibly kill him.

If this hospital doesn't want to treat him, and there is another hospital that wants to, then take him there, end of story, I don't know why this is even a discussion.
Not sure if it counts as "asking for money", but there is a fundraiser up with well over £100k in donations so far.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/sarah-evans-791
My bad, I was talking about asking for taxpayers money.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
Well yeah, it's much better to try to kill him by disconnecting him, and now that he breathes by himself, you have to starve him; more than 30 hours now. Great logic there.

Let the parents decide, not some armchair burocrat who have no empathy whatsoever. Let the kid go to Italy or Nigeria or wherever the fuck his parents want to take him, to get to doctors that want to try and save his life, and get away from the doctors that want to forcibly kill him.

If this hospital doesn't want to treat him, and there is another hospital that wants to, then take him there, end of story, I don't know why this is even a discussion.
So we should ignore the experts ?

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Infuriating case.

There is no treatment, Alfie is braindead and starving a patient is standard for EOL care.

Alfie's father is an absolute scumbag and I don't believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

The Alfie's Army muppets can fuck off as well.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let the parents decide, not some armchair burocrat who have no empathy whatsoever. Let the kid go to Italy or Nigeria or wherever the fuck his parents want to take him, to get to doctors that want to try and save his life, and get away from the doctors that want to forcibly kill him..

They are medical professionals, not armchair bureaucrats.

What sort of life is there to save?.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017

Infuriating case.
Are you saying the doctors are bureaucrats or the judiciary?

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
This is a case where the parents are doing everything to protect your child... but if medical experts are telling you something, you sometimes need to listen.

Doing what is kind and right isn't always easy.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
In fact, if Alfie's father, family and the Alfie's Army twats hadn't behaved so horrifically towards Alder Hey and the staff looking after Alfie, they might have been allowed to take him home yesterday.

The staff working there are legitimately shit scared of repercussions.

FlammableAce

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
A lot of people believe the hospital is trying to cover something up, the parents have already shown hospital records where they accidentally double dosed Alfie in 2017 before he deteriorated.

The hospital doesn't exactly have a good record either.

Q5iLMXx.jpg

However, I don't agree with storming the hospital or chanting outside.

Broken Joystick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
England

Those bloody doctors, keeping him in their care for 18 months. How dare they!

There is no treatment, that's one of the major points of this story. The other hospital doesn't have a miracle cure.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
So we should ignore the experts ?
Some experts have decided they don't want to treat him. OK, their choice.

Some other experts have said they want to treat him.

Family wants to take him to the experts that want to treat him; have the means to go, have people supporting them.

Some scumbag judge thinks that the family shouldn't have the choice to get him there, and has sentenced the kid to death.

Kid refuses to die, even though said experts (the first ones) said he would die minutes after disconnection. Guess what? Experts were wrong, this is a fact, this is data we have on our hands, and the kid is being tortured right now.

Every minute that passes plays against any possible treatment.

I have kids, and I can't even begin to imagine the pain that family is living right now, and ResetERA posters call the father a Scumbag??? WTF

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017

Infuriating case.

You don't feed food if they're brain dead.

He is being given pallaitive care, if they fed him food he could drown because his body can't digest food etc.

They are not starving him.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Family wants to take him to the experts that want to treat him; have the means to go, have people supporting him.

Some scumbag judge thinks that the family shouldn't have the choice to get him there, and has sentenced the kid to death.

Kid refuses to die, even though said experts (the first ones) said he would die minutes after disconnection. Guess what? Experts where wrong, this is a fact, this is data we have on our hands, and the kid is being tortured right now.

I have kids, and I can't even begin to imagine the pain that family is living right now, and ResetERA posters call the father a Scumbag??? WTF

THERE IS NO TREATMENT.

SEVENTY PERCENT OF ALFIE'S BRAIN IS LIQUID.

*and breathe*

Also, they did not say that he would die in minutes, they said he could.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Either way, the Hospital will suffer backlash.

If he passes in the Hospital, people will say they didn't give him a chance.

If they went to Italy and he passes anyway, they will say the Hospital took too long.

People expecting miracles and hating Emergency Services is not the way to go.

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Family wants to take him to the experts that want to treat him; have the means to go, have people supporting them.

Kid refuses to die, even though said experts (the first ones) said he would die minutes after disconnection. Guess what? Experts were wrong, this is a fact, this is data we have on our hands, and the kid is being tortured right now.

every outcome shows there is no treatment. He is not gonna get better.

If it wasnt for the Alfie Army and the crackpots around the case I would have more sympathy and at the moment I feel like he just wants to get to Italy to watch the second leg of football.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017

They are advocates for the child though.

Let's turn things around a second:

How would you feel about parents wanting to withhold a necessary, life saving blood transfusion on their 9 year old daughter because they are Jehovah's Witnesses and the medical staff going against the parents' wishes? It is overwhelmingly in the best interests of the child, which the medical team recognise. Would you allow the patient to die because the parents believe the medical team are wrong?

AaronC

Oct 29, 2017

The hospital in Italy is not offering treatment. It is offering the same kind of palliative care, only at a cost of 65000 euros to the parents.

Hold yourself to a higher standard and arm yourself with the facts. This perpetuation of falsities is what's turning a tragic case into a cruel farce.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
They are advocates for the child though.

Let's turn things around a second:

How would you feel about parents wanting to withhold a necessary, life saving blood transfusion on their 9 year old daughter because they are Jehovah's Witnesses and the medical staff going against the parents' wishes? It is overwhelmingly in the best interests of the child, which the medical team recognise. Would you allow the patient to die because the parents believe the medical team are wrong?
I feel that you are making a ridiculous argument, apples and oranges, and this kind of stupid argumentation has no place in this case. That's how I feel (you asked).

The worst interest of the child is death, end of story. You are saying that disconnecting the kid, letting him die by asfixia and then of starvation (you CAN feed him) is on his best interest, which is ridiculous, moralizing, and just an opinion.

Even if the kid has 0.1% of recovering, I would take the chance, as a father, I would take the shot.

The problem here is that the family is being denied this very basic human right.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...e-care-life-support-parents-nhs-a8321226.html

Just two days ago, members of "Alfie's Army" stormed the doors of Alder Hey, a hospital full of sick children who are already frightened. A terrified parent begged on Facebook for Alfie's Army to reconsider their plans to set off the fire alarms at Alder Hey, as her own child was on the operating table and "deserved a chance too".

This "Army" is just focused on the life of one, not thinking of others also at the Hospital. But it's fine. Let's call doctors murderers and public ally name them and send death threats.

They deserve it! /s

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that you are making a ridiculous argument, apples and oranges, and this kind of stupid argumentation has no place in this case. That's how I feel (you asked).

The worst interest of the child is death, end of story. You are saying that disconnecting the kid, letting him die by asfixia and then of starvation (you CAN feed him) is on his best interest, which is ridiculous, moralizing, and just an opinion.

Even if the kid has 0.1% of recovering, I would take the chance, as a father, I would take the shot.

The problem here is that the family is being denied this very basic human right.
EVERYONE AGREES THERE IS 0% CHANCE THOUGH

Dan

Oct 25, 2017

Do you have a source to say that he's not being fed?

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

he doesn't have a 0.1% chance of recovering.

FlammableAce

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
when there is an agenda people bends instances. How and why would they burn a child?
I'm not saying they deliberately burnt him, but clearly he was neglected.

When they removed his life support they also removed food/water/oxygen (which is standard procedure, because they're expected to die). 6 hours later the hospital put him back on oxygen and allowed him access to water but not food.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017

I'm sorry it came across that way, I was just trying to illustrate how medical teams can be children's advocates, and how the best interest of that child is always the priority in their mind.

As a Christian, I get your argument - that life is precious and worth protecting no matter what. But as a med student in the UK I can understand how and why this has played out the way it has. I justify it as believing that sometimes palliation is the Christian thing to do - something which I learnt whilst being a Healthcare Assistant on a geriatric ward for over a year.

OP
OP
Norwegian_Imposter

Norwegian_Imposter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am sorry to be so irate, its just the dad really, really rubs me up the wrong way.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
Tom_Evans_on_Alfie_being_starved_to_death_April_24__2018_645_362.png

Apparently he is being fed again.

I have to ask ERA, why is it a problem letting his family take him away? Why are some so against it?

I honestly can't understand. Does it cost more tax money? No. Does it affect you in any way? No it doesn't. Why?