• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Polygon
TMZ

Alfonso Ribeiro is the latest celeb who's got beef with Fortnite's pop culture-influenced dances -- and now he's suing the creators of the game for jacking his own.

The former 'Fresh Prince' star just filed suit against Epic Games -- which developed the crazy popular multi-player game -- claiming the company completely ripped off the famous dance his character, Carlton Banks, did on the show throughout the series.
In the docs, obtained by TMZ, Alfonso says that Fortnite released a new dance that its characters can perform called the "Fresh emote," which came out on Jan 2, 2018 ... and it's a carbon copy of what he claims he came up with on the '90s sitcom.

He also claims he's in the middle of copyrighting the Carlton dance.

The lawsuit is almost identical to the one filed by 2 Milly earlier this month for jacking his "Milly Rock" dance. Alfonso's attorney, David Hecht of Pierce Bainbridge Beck Price & Hecht LLP, tells us, "It is widely recognized that Mr. Ribeiro's likeness and intellectual property have been misappropriated by Epic Games in the most popular video game currently in the world, Fortnite."

Mod Edit

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone wanting to know from an actual copyright attorney if you can copyright dances? Here you go.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait he owns that dance? I thought that was just a dance his character on the show did?

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Good. I get copyright stuff can go too far, but fortnite giving 0 credit or any money compensation was kind of dumb

Off though since i would have assumed the netword would try and copyright the dance, and not alfonso himself

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if he knows the Carlton dance has been in Destiny 1 for like 4 years lmao

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
"The Carlton" is so special though. It's clearly Mr. Ribiero who created and popularized the dance. It's really iconic.
I still remember watching the show and having a blast. That dance was so fun, lol.

I don't know, man. I think he deserves full credit and compensation. This is clearly his stuff being used to make money.
My opinion is that it's completely unfair to be using the dance that someone clearly created and made popular on national TV, and use it commercially without paying anything.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Iiirc Destiny 1 did it first and you had to pay for it directly. But obviously it was never as popular as fortnite.

And honestly, unlike the other dance moves like Donald Faison's dance from Scrubs, The Carlton is actually an iconic dance and it can fully be credited to Alfonso Ribero and no one else for making it popular and iconic.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I love him as an actor, I don't think he'll win just like everyone else who I also think wouldn't win since they didn't already have it copyrighted before all of this but if anyone was gonna have a chance it's him, that dance is clearly iconic because of him.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you can own a dance in this manner, but if you can, then this one definitely belongs to Alfonso.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
Iiirc Destiny 1 did it first and you had to pay for it directly. But obviously it was never as popular as fortnite.

And honestly, unlike the other dance moves like Donald Faison's dance from Scrubs, The Carlton is actually an iconic dance and it can fully be credited to Alfonso Ribero and no one else for making it popular and iconic.

I bought that one and was SUPER disappointed when I found out it wouldn't transfer to Destiny 2.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I still don't think that the copyright claim holds any water...buuuutttt, I do believe that Epic/Bungie/All companies really need to at least credit who create or at the very least popularized the dance moves.

My old boss is probably having a filed day with this, haha.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Wait. So the dance wasn't already copyrighted? Seems like the Carlton actor is fucked then. He's just trying to jump on the bandwagon now. Should've copyrighted the dance move decades ago when you did it.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
He's in the middle of copyrighting the dance now?

Surely that couldn't apply retroactively. It seems you would have as much grounds to sue Epic Games as you would to the games that have used it previously, which I imagine would be none.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't think that the copyright claim holds any water...buuuutttt, I do believe that Epic/Bungie/All companies really need to at least credit who create or at the very least popularized the dance moves.

My old boss is probably having a filed day with this, haha.

There's a video at the top of the post that explains that you can copyright these things. The question is whether or not it's infringement.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Am I having a memory malfunction or is the tone in this thread different then when 2 Milly sued Fortnite?

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... that's more than a move. Up to the courts whether it qualifies as a dance though.
Edit: Wait. What is the Carlton dance? Is it both of those moves in the Fortnite vid or only a single one? The video in OP doesn't show the second part as far as a I can see.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Anyone wanting to know from an actual copyright attorney if you can copyright dances? Here you go.

So what's interesting about this is that it's still just his opinion and why he personally thinks you can copy right a dance move. There's no real case for these video game dances yet. It'll be a case by case bases. That said, I think any game dev implementing dance moves into their games should get permission.