• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
9SulSpB.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, PlayStation 4, Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
Release Date:
October 7, 2014​
Switch - December 5th, 2019​
Genre: Survival Horror
Price: $34.99/€34.99
Player(s): 1
Format:
Switch - Digital Only​
XB1, PS4 and PC - Physical/Digital​
Developer: Creative Assembly/Feral Interactive
Publisher: SEGA/Feral Interactive
Size: 17.6 GB (Switch)

VDeRu2D.png

How does the game run on Switch?
Very well!

+ 1080p docked (majority) dynamic resolution: lowest recorded resolution was 756p
+ Modern TAA that makes a less aliased images than even the PS4
+ Adaptive sharpening that further refines the image
+ Great Audio (equivelant to PS4)
+ Nearly locked 30fps: Known stress areas have a more consistent fps than Xbox One
+ No screen tearing (vs other console versions)

- Comparable but demonstrably worse loading times
- Ambient Occlusion Removed (or changed dramatically)
-/+ Motion blur disabled
- LOD/Shadow draw distance pushed in
- In game videos running at a lower res

Everything else (chromatic aberation, film grain, reflections, lighting etc) are in tact.

Note: There are some users reporting input lag in the game.

Are there gyro controls?
Yes. The game supports optional gyro aiming.

HD rumble?
Yes.

Surround sound?
Yes.

Is there a physical release?
The game is a digital-only release with no word on a future physical release.

What content is included?
You get the original game along with all the bonus and post-release content. The extra content essentially amounts to challenge levels that take place before/during the main campaign or during the original movie.

Dbaerex.png

What is Alien: Isolation?
Alien: Isolation is a first person horror game where you must explore and survive a decrepit space station populated with hostile humans, androids and the titular Alien. This creature will hunt you throughout your journey through Sevastopol Station, using dynamic AI to adapt to your actions and learn where to look for you.

Is there combat?
Yes, while the tools on Sevastopol Station aren't able to kill the Alien, you are able to challenge it and scare it off for a time. You are also able to fight back against the androids and humans (even calling the Alien down upon the latter with a distraction tool) so you aren't entirely helpless but stealth is still a highly valuable playstyle.

How does saving work?
You'll need to find a save station and activate it, but make sure the coast is clear before doing so. During the startup save sequence you can be killed by anything that crosses your path.

How long is the game?
15 to 20 hours.

How scary is the game?
It's not a jumpscare factory or anything of that sort; the game is built on tension rather than typical scares.

How hard is the game?
There are a range of difficulties that range from "Novice"—where the Alien is easier to distract and resources are more plentiful—to "Nightmare" where the Alien is highly adaptable, your motion tracker is damaged and resources are scarce. The Alien will always be a threat regardless of difficulty but you can make those encounters more manageable with those options if you prefer.

Is the Alien always a factor?
There are times when the Alien is not in play

Should I be familiar with the Alien franchise before playing the game?
Alien: Isolation takes place in-between the first two Alien films so knowledge of the original movie is recommended. While the character you play as has no knowledge of the events of that film there are a handful of moments that are less impactful if you haven't seen Alien.

Is the game enhanced on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X?
No, but the performance hiccups the game had on the base machines are improved while playing on a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. Screen tearing is also eliminated on the X.

Does the game use FPS Boost on Xbox Series consoles?
Yes, both the Series S and X will run Alien Isolation at 60fps.

Game Pass?
Yes, the game is available in the Game Pass service on both Xbox and Windows 10 PC.

SEyotv0.png

Switch_Alien_01.jpg
Switch_Alien_02.jpg

Switch_Alien_03.jpg
Switch_Alien_05.jpg

SNKQej1.png

Metacritic
Xbox 360 | Xbox One | PC | PS3 | PS4 | Switch
Opencritic

NintendoLife 9/10
Alien: Isolation is a survival horror masterpiece and straight-up one of the very best horror video games ever released. It's a nerve-wracking affair – a slow, methodical game of cat and mouse against a brilliantly clever recreation of one of cinema's most infamous killers – but if you're up to the task you'll find one of the most satisfying gameplay experiences in the genre; a brilliant and beautiful homage to one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies of all time. Feral Interactive has done a stellar job with this Switch port and the excellent motion controls and inclusion of all previously-released DLC only go to sweeten the deal. This is essential stuff for survival horror fans.

Cubed3 9/10
Without any of the technical issues that plagued it on other systems it got released on, Alien: Isolation was, and remains, one of the best survival horror games ever made. It's a top notch addition to the Alien franchise as a whole, which has seen its fair share of missteps over the years. Then, adding to all of this, Feral Interactive's port of Alien: Isolation to the Switch is a defining example of a port to Switch done right. On Switch, the game runs smoothly 95% of the time, unlike even the powerful Xbox One, without sacrificing too much in the way of visual fidelity, making it mostly on par with the best console version yet - the PS4 one - but with the audacity of blessing it with better anti-aliasing and even smoother pre-rendered cut-scenes... albeit more compressed looking, sadly. This release is an indispensable addition to any Switch fan's collection of masterpieces, only really let-down by the absence of any plans for a physical release, at least at the time of writing.

Metro UK 7/10
A masterclass in terms of cinematic adaptation and slow burn survival horror, but the overly long running time and lack of compelling storytelling prevents it from being a classic.

VeNgQzJ.png

Official Site

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the best games based on a movie franchise ever made, and one of the best horror games ever made.

An absolute triumph and possibly my Game of the Gen. I'm jealous of everyone playing for the first time.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Absolutely adore this game. If it wasn't for me only just replaying it back in July this year I would be buying it day 1.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best games based on a movie franchise ever made, and one of the best horror games ever made.

An absolute triumph and possibly my Game of the Gen. I'm jealous of everyone playing for the first time.

It really is amazing what Creative Assembly was able to do with Isolation, it's such a fantastic game.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
I finally managed to sit down and get through this game. I enjoyed it a great deal, though I couldn't help but wonder what the game would have been like had they gone with the third-person perspective instead. I'm maybe the only one since everyone seems to love the immersion that first-person allows for.

Sep 28, 2018
Best Alien franchise game? Check
Most authentic film to game adaption? Check
Best sound design in a horror game? Check
Best horror game of all time? Check

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most epic horror games ever. An adventure packed with quality and consistently inventive content. With the Switch port being this polished, it's a steal for just $35.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Step 1. Buy a Valve Index.
Step 2. Download motherVR mod.
Step 3. Wear a Subpac m2x.
Step 4. Prepare to be scarred for life.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The game is fantastic and I feel without a doubt had the best sound design of any game that exists. Playing through this with a headset is the only way to play, and boy is it an experience.

This is the real Alien 3 right here.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
One of the best horror games ever. One of the reasons I originally got a PS4 (along with the promise of Silent Hills *sigh*), now on the way.

The only negative is no physical version.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Buying it when I get my paycheck this Friday, and will double dip later on if there's a physical release.

I've never actually played it, but it's one of those times where everything I've seen/read lets me know I'll absolutely love it.

Good job to Feral for their high quality switch ports. They clearly care about delivering polished experiences to the switch playerbase.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I think I'm picking this up Friday after I get paid. The concept of the game has interested me for years but I'm a big weenie and survival horror is usually a big no-no for me, so I've never played it.

The Resident Evil 2 remake has helped to get me over some of my fears of something pursuing me and always being a factor as to when shit can go wrong, so bring on the xenomorph I guess.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit of a chicken shit when it comes to horror games, but I adore the Alien franchise and I am considering giving it a go. It looks so good from all the switch previews I have seen.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I am a bit of a chicken shit when it comes to horror games, but I adore the Alien franchise and I am considering giving it a go. It looks so good from all the switch previews I have seen.

I'd recommend it! Isolation is definitely a horror game but scare wise, noting subjectivity and all that, it isn't too bad. You're a much more effective character than what you see in a lot of other FPS horror games, becoming more and more capable as the game goes on, so it's not just 15 hours of darting from closet to closet while avoiding the Alien.

The Alien-specific references are incredible as well; if you have reverence for the original film this is something you should highly consider playing.

Deleted member 61326

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2019

I'm the same, but I gave it a try anyway due to the Alien setting. I struggled in the beginning due to the tension but in the end it was so rewarding. Easily in my top 10 of all time and I very rarely play horror games. Played the original release back in 2014.

The only bad thing I can say about the game is that it's slightly too long.

Stairouais

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
France
I wanna go back, but I don't think I can.
Alien is my favourite movie, but terrifies me. It took a lot of me to get to the end on ps4

Mar 29, 2018
Mar 29, 2018
Just remember that it's probably the most dynamic horror game of all time. Almost to the point of feeling random, like a rogue like.

If you take risks (e.g. just try walking straight for the exit even though you can hear the threat), there's a decent chance you'll just happen past the threats and be totally fine. I beat some really tough encounters like that.

rawd

Oct 25, 2017
PLayed this shit out of this game on my PS4 and got the platinum. Sequels please.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gah I wish it was physical. I am extremely hesitant to buy digital, especially on Switch of all places. Despite being the huge fan that I am, I recently sold my PS4 copy in order to get some cash, but now I'm reconsidering buying it again. I might as well just buy it for PS4 then since it's cheaper.

Also a word of advice for newbies: Do not stay still for extended periods of time. This is probably the biggest reason people have difficulty advancing and put down the game early on. They think that standing still and waiting for the "perfect" opportunity to move is how to play. Unfortunately for them, that only makes it more difficult and you'll find that you get nowhere if you don't continuously move. The game is about constant tension and getting over your fears. Yes you'll probably die a lot so make sure you save as often as you can.

Just a warning. If you stay in the same spot, the alien will Liam Neeson your ass, more so than if you just keep it moving.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend it! Isolation is definitely a horror game but scare wise, noting subjectivity and all that, it isn't too bad. You're a much more effective character than what you see in a lot of other FPS horror games, becoming more and more capable as the game goes on, so it's not just 15 hours of darting from closet to closet while avoiding the Alien.

The Alien-specific references are incredible as well; if you have reverence for the original film this is something you should highly consider playing.
I'm the same, but I gave it a try anyway due to the Alien setting. I struggled in the beginning due to the tension but in the end it was so rewarding. Easily in my top 10 of all time and I very rarely play horror games. Played the original release back in 2014.

The only bad thing I can say about the game is that it's slightly too long.
Just remember that it's probably the most dynamic horror game of all time. Almost to the point of feeling random, like a rogue like.

If you take risks (e.g. just try walking straight for the exit even though you can hear the threat), there's a decent chance you'll just happen past the threats and be totally fine. I beat some really tough encounters like that.

Thanks everybody!!!
I watched some more gameplay and I just can't pass it up. Looks like a blast, so I'm going to pull the trigger and give it a shot!!!

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to replay this on the PS4 Pro sometime when it went on sale again, but I might get this on an eShop sale in the future, especially since all the DLC is included, along with the visual improvements.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Been really meaning to pick this up. Thinking about dropping $40 on the PC version just to support their porting efforts for Switch.

Would get it for Switch but I just bought a dope ass new PC monitor.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Ive played through it 4 times on my PS4

I love it so much. Its one of my favorites of all time.

Im playing it right now, and having the game on the go is a blast.

The film grain is REALLY bad and distracting. Especially in a dark looking game, this is really bad.

I would recomend to disable it asap.

The major problem tho is input lag.

Even on the main menu, the latency is noticable. The game is barelly playable.
I've just arrived at Sevastopol, so I havent encountered any enemies yet, but I imagine it being a pain in the ass later on.

I really, really hope that they patch it because it will affect my enjoyment of the game a lot

Last edited:

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
Ive played through it 4 times on my PS4

I love it so much. Its one of my favorites of all time.

Im playing it right now, and having the game on the go is a blast. However, I wouldnt recomend it on docked mode.

Imho, it's far from being the best way to play it on a big screen.

The game has dynamic resolution, and it shows. Sometimes, you notice the low resolution.

But my main problem with it are: input lag and film grain.

The film grain is REALLY bad and distracting. Especially in a dark looking game, this is really bad.

I thought "maybe it was already present on the PS4 version?". But nope, I'm playing the PS4 version as I type this, and there's no grain.

The other major problem is input lag. Even on the main menu, the latency is noticable. The game is barelly playable.
I've just arrived at Sevastopol, so I havent encountered any enemies yet, but I imagine it being a pain in the ass later on.

I really, really hope that they patch those 2 things because they will affect my enjoyment of the game a lot
You can disable the film grain, it was like this on PS4 too.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Duh :p

I came running to correct myself because I just found out about this in the settings.
I had it disabled on the PS4 thats why

But the input lag complain still stands. Its really annoying.
DF would have absolutely brought up input lag if it were a significant issue. John played a bunch of different versions of the game while doing research.