• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
IG4bMAL.png

Seeing as it's Halloween and I'm about to play it again I thought it would be cool to ressurect the OT.

Will probably play on the new setting Nightmare this time, which will probably give me even more anxiety.

I really hope to see some new fans getting introduced to this game, it's probably THE best Alien game I have ever played, without a doubt.

5ToVnuP.jpg

OP
OP
Strafer

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Been thinking about starting this game. How's the combat system? Is it punishing?

punishing in what way? It's your traditional survival horror game, limited ammo, you don't have to shoot if you dont want to, I used my gun a total of 6 times the first time i played it, the rest I just sneaked around.

BlaineStarJoe

Oct 27, 2017
punishing in what way? It's your traditional survival horror game, limited ammo, you don't have to shoot if you dont want to, I used my gun a total of 6 times the first time i played it, the rest I just sneaked around.
punishing in a way where you feel the interaction is stacked against the player for, seemingly, no reason (I remember bouncing off of the first Evil Within game because the controls and the way the character moved around seemed sticky and illogical) .Seems like there's still resources made available to the player if you only had to use your gun six times.

OP
OP
Strafer

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
punishing in a way where you feel the interaction is stacked against the player for, seemingly, no reason (I remember bouncing off of the first Evil Within game because the controls and the way the character moved around seemed sticky and illogical) .Seems like there's still resources made available to the player if you only had to use your gun six times.

The thing with this game is that the Alien is attracted to sound and if you use your gun a lot there's a chance it will show up and fuck you up, and yeah, there's plenty of stuff you can use to help you if you dont wanna use your gun.

And I agree, the controls in TEW wasnt great, but the controls in this are fine, it's first person so you dont get that same sticky feeling. You should definitely give it a try. Play with headphones.

BlaineStarJoe

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with this game is that the Alien is attracted to sound and if you use your gun a lot there's a chance it will show up and fuck you up, and yeah, there's plenty of stuff you can use to help you if you dont wanna use your gun.

And I agree, the controls in TEW wasnt great, but the controls in this are fine, it's first person so you dont get that same sticky feeling. You should definitely give it a try. Play with headphones.
Rad, thanks for the rec. Will def give it a try.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just reinstalled this.

Had it on 360, but didn't complete it for some reason. I got to the bit..

...when you trick the xenomorph into the airlock and blow it out into spaaaace.

I assume I wasn't anywhere near the end.

Looking to tuck in and finish it properly this time. It's an absolutely phenomenal game in every regard (the Working Joe is probably one of my favourite enemy characters in gaming), just a wee bit stressful :D

I'll sub and see how everyone else is getting on. Good luck!

OP
OP
Strafer

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I just reinstalled this.

Had it on 360, but didn't complete it for some reason. I got to the bit
when you trick the xenomorph into the airlock and blow it out into space

Looking to tuck in and finish it properly this time. It's an absolutely phenomenal game in every regard, just a wee bit stressful :D

There's something about walking around the space station while hearing that thing crawl up in the vents and knowing it can jump down any second.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's something about walking around the space station while hearing that thing crawl up in the vents and knowing it can jump down any second.

Oh god, yeah. Even the slow walk of the Working Joes makes my heart race!

They did such a phenomenal job of translating the experience of the first film (one of my favs) into gameplay mechanics. In the film, you hardly see the alien in all it's glory. In the game, you only really get slivers of it when peaking around desks and such, otherwise you're dead! Really quite clever.

Last edited:

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the VIP member of this OT. Isolation is one of the greatest, atmospheric games I've played. Looks like I have to start again.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone know the status of MotherVR? I was waiting for the crouch headbob to be fixed, but it's been over 2 months since the last release.