• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
This is from the latest Noclip documentary on the game.

Personally, I would have preferred a third person prospective as it would have given Amanda Ripley more of a spotlight. Plus it certainly would have aided with the stealth elements of the game.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
First person was the better decision. It was scary to be chased in first person and not having the third person camera cheat by looking around corners etc..

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
I was just thinking about this game, and wishing it would get a sequel or a next gen upgrade.

Thank fuck it didn't end up being TP though

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
No thanks. The first person aspect of the game really helps drive the horror home. There's not as much of that "oh god what's behind me" feel in third person

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah that was the right call, otherwise how else do you get a close look to this cutie?

sfkmkzpmavh2jbrpcvur.gif

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is such a masterpiece. Should i get the switch version? Have it on xbox but its a little choppy.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would have bought it if third person. Seeing enemies chase your character, approach them, almost get within reach for a narrow escape is so much more intense than "Well I guess it's behind or to the side of me somewhere, damage indicators will tell me".

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
No thanks, infinitely less horrifying in third person. They made the right call. Also because it enabled the amazing vr mod which is outright terrifying.

Sep 10, 2020
I understand motion sickness or generally not liking first-person view, but in terms of actual game design, first-person was absolutely the right decision.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Would have bought it if third person. Seeing enemies chase your character, approach them, almost get within reach for a narrow escape is so much more intense than "Well I guess it's behind or to the side of me somewhere, damage indicators will tell me".
This isn't the type of game where you're running from enemies that are right behind you, though, and you're hoping to get away. If the enemy is behind you, it's too late.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Would have been curious and I think still think would have been good, but confident still this was a good call

Really would like a revisit of sorts, a next gen patch / version even and I'd pay

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the exact opposite of what kind of game Isolation is.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I feel like the atmosphere would have taken a massive dive in third person. Definitely the right call.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
this game needs to be upgrade at 4K 60fps on next gen ... please ...

It's a shame this game came out so early in the generation. It's so jaggy.

It's probably the one Switch game that manages to look better than the PS4/XBO versions, simply because it implemented newer post-processing methods, like TAA in this case. It makes for a much cleaner image overall.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god they changed it. I can't imagine Alien Isolation anyway else than ultra immersive scary with its perspective.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
While I agree that FP was the right decision, it does explain why I've always found its implementation janky in the game. It really should've been developed in that POV the entire time. Major oversight in pre production.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is the wrong opinion. The horror worked because it was 1st person. 3rd person would have been a terrible choice.

Edit: Reading your other post, I feel for your situation. It's just not a game for you then sadly.

I would always take a toggle even if it's a suboptimal way to play. I play all the Bethesda Elder Scrolls and Fallout games in third perosn.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
100% good choice to make it 1st person. The game would've lost all sense of immersion in 3rd person. Nothing like breaking immersion by saying "Let me peek this corner by using the camera".

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Thank God they didn't, i almost can't imagine this working well on third person considering its creative decisions (which were spot on for an Alien inspired and themed experience).

Just thinking how much detail, atmosphere and tension they've would have lost with this, would be a entirely (most likely worse) different title altogether.