• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it was like this but imagine if they knew something was up, that the AI behavior was certainly not what they intended... Man, the people who went over the code with a fine toothed comb up till deadline all eyes on them feeling like the success of the entire project was their shoulders... The waterfall of feelings they must be experiencing right now.

And then the guy/s responsible for the .ini…

To be a fly on those walls.

Wonder how those txt messages are going down...

Hazelhurst

Oct 25, 2017
original.jpg

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
How!?

Surely someone would have noticed the AI acting nothing like the vertical slice they showed and looked into fixing it, or were there so many other bugs that the AI became low priority to fix.

I can't believe. there was such a simple solution to one of the games biggest problems.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are a lot of people shitting on Gearbox in this thread. For the record, they have made some damn fine games as a company. In an alternate world, ACM might have been as outstanding as their Brothers in Arms titles. It's a shame ACM was such a mess. It's a shame Randy chose to be all weird and dishonest about it. It's also nice to see people working to fix the game's many problems, although I'm not entirely keen on some of the changes modders tend to push such as making facehuggers way harder.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
So is it worth playing now? I have it on Steam so..
God no, unless the true ai is the successor to Fear we've been waiting for all these years it was an ugly, repetitive nothing of a game back when it released let alone now. The story is also an abomination.

I'm still disgusted by literally all preview and trailer gameplay, including footage shown days before being release, being fake and nothing resembling the game. Me and my friend were shocked when it unlocked at midnight.

Furio

Oct 25, 2017
It would really surprise me that an engineer wouldn't be able to debug that when noticeable bugs were happening. Outside of ineptitude, only thing I could think of is that fixing it was too costly on the CPU side with the AI... it was 5 years ago, so maybe it was tanking framerate. Would be interesting to test it on an older PC to see.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
God no, unless the true ai is the successor to Fear we've been waiting for all these years it was an ugly, repetitive nothing of a game back when it released let alone now. The story is also an abomination.

I'm still disgusted by literally all preview and trailer gameplay, including footage shown days before being release, being fake and nothing resembling the game. Me and my friend were shocked when it unlocked at midnight.
Welp, guess I'll cancel the download then, thanks.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would really surprise me that an engineer wouldn't be able to debug that when noticeable bugs were happening. Outside of ineptitude, only thing I could think of is that fixing it was too costly on the CPU side with the AI... it was 5 years ago, so maybe it was tanking framerate. Would be interesting to test it on an older PC to see.

This definitely wasn't done intentionally. Nor was it intentionally not-fixed.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
So you're telling me that part of the reason this game was such a fucking mess was because like

A single line of code had a typo in it
Well you can't exactly run spell check on it!
It's not that I don't understand why it happened, it's that I can't believe such a crucial and egregious element completely slipped under everyone's noses
The person who made the typo went on to write the information on Capcom box arts.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
how did the motherfuckers who made this shit, and made the AI, and expected it to run a certain way

how did they just not...follow up and look and say "something isn't right"

You're assuming the people who did the AI were even still there at the end. Don't forget all the shadiness that went into this game's development. Sega thought Gearbox were making it and meanwhile Gearbox were farming it out left right and centre. It could be that TimeGate did the bulk of the AI and then Gearbox finished it without properly understanding the code and that it was supposed to work better.

Mundas

Oct 29, 2017
I would think so too, but I would genuinely like to hear from someone with QA experience in video games. My thinking is that they would have reported broken AI in testing the product and it was up to someone resolving issues to look for the cause. I have never heard of QA going through INI files though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Depends on the project and the team. At my current gig I work on a large number of projects with short turn around times so I'm bouncing between games constantly so the majority of my testing is more surface-level. At prior companies though I've worked on a single project for several years at a time. In those longer-term projects I was able to become more familiar with what was under the hood and able to tinker and apply that knowledge in my test casing, for some testers and projects this might include messing with INI files. On one such Unity project I became so comfortable working on the game in my free time that I was able to spin off into a dedicated systems design role out of QA.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't one of the things that was accused of being false advertising that the AI was promised to be really good?

Could provide some justification for that.

Deleted member 11018

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha how did this get through QA?!

It probably went into QA with a name like GenericName_0x000001DEAD00BEAF (with a typo) and at the very end before final assembly decided to rename stuff by hand but made a mistake... xD

It's very funny to read , they cannot say there's nothing wrong with the AI now :)

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
The actual development issue here isn't that there was a typo. Typos happen, and have to be expected.

The actual issue is that there is no part of the game or toolchain which prominently reports that a typo happened -- i.e. that a mapping to a non-existent element occurred. It would be different if the typo changed it to something which exists but is wrong -- I could understand that being hard to catch -- but I'd consider a non-existent element flying under the radar at load time the real underlying bug here.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
QA doesn't check the code, they have no need to go over the config file. The question for me, as someone already pointed out, is why did the compiler not pick up on the seemingly undeclarated object.

Not go over the code, but behaviours(ai) should be expected and if they see something off/weird, they should escalate/ask. But I guess it could be possible that it was dismissed as "this is what it is supposed to be".

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The typo that ruined Colonial Marines was when Sega wrote "Gearbox" on the contract instead of "any other developer"

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Not go over the code, but behaviours(ai) should be expected and if they see something off/weird, they should escalate/ask. But I guess it could be possible that it was dismissed as "this is what it is supposed to be".

Yeah totally. It seems like this was a rushed project as it was, it's more than likely that regression testing wasn't a priority or QA simply weren't given the resources to go deep near the end of the project.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So imagine being one of the developers responsible for the AI code and seeing the final product.

Man that must be a headscratcher.

It still kinda blows my mind how [apparantly?] no one noticed a huge chunck of AI patterns/behaviour was straight up not functioning.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Randy Pitchford soon in a new interview: "See, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. The guy who always talks about me, you know the big one. He must've ruined the file during reviewing himself to create a witch-hunt."

starbuck2907

Jan 29, 2018
The DefaultEngine.ini has another typo on the same line as that one, ClassRemapping=PecanGAme.PecanSeqAct_AttachXenoToTether, where the A is capitalised also causing issues and nobody noticed it

Good catch.

Has anyone corrected this too and seen how it affects the game? Anton, do you know what it affects?

Has Anton found another undiscovered error here that changes the gameplay?

GoaThief

Oct 25, 2017
Good catch.

Has anyone corrected this too and seen how it affects the game? Anton, do you know what it affects?

Has Anton found another undiscovered error here that changes the gameplay?
It's been previously found and tested a little according to the comments on the original discovery (scroll down), and again it allegedly helps.

Which coincidentally is what I came here to ask; has anyone done a comparison with the other typo fix alone, then both combined vs the base game?

This kind of sucks. It took five whole years for anyone to discover this in a plain text file which is commonly poked about in. Once you know the solution it seems easy, but the fact that it's taken so long and god knows how many people skimming over it for years... perspective.

Last edited:

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
People saying 'surely somebody in company had to notice bad AI behavior' thats not exactly true.
The game could be tested internally with the correct .ini file and only the .ini that was linked to the client build was messed up.
That said, testing of final client build should also be part of QA process and should be noticed, even if not before launch, at least after launch.
So Gearbox knew definitely something was wrong with AI, unless they changed their whole QA department, after release by looking up players gameplay videos.

---
The actual development issue here isn't that there was a typo. Typos happen, and have to be expected.

The actual issue is that there is no part of the game or toolchain which prominently reports that a typo happened -- i.e. that a mapping to a non-existent element occurred. It would be different if the typo changed it to something which exists but is wrong -- I could understand that being hard to catch -- but I'd consider a non-existent element flying under the radar at load time the real underlying bug here.
Yes, it should be part of test automation process, but maybe it was only for development builds, not client builds.
I also do not know how often in Game development the CI with extensive test automation is linked.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if it was being reported but the rest of the game was spewing out so many errors and warnings that it was ignored.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
This kind of sucks. It took five whole years for anyone to discover this in a plain text file which is commonly poked about in. Once you know the solution it seems easy, but the fact that it's taken so long and god knows how many people skimming over it for years... perspective.
Its very limited popularity means the files may not have been poked around in all that much over the years.