• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
I would think so too, but I would genuinely like to hear from someone with QA experience in video games. My thinking is that they would have reported broken AI in testing the product and it was up to someone resolving issues to look for the cause. I have never heard of QA going through INI files though. Maybe I'm wrong.

Here is my experience when i'm doing qa for mobile games
Yes, chances are the QA already reported the bug and programmer probably try their best to fix it. Come deadline, some upper up said 'fuck this. Lets ship it and fix with update patch" or simply give up. even if qa are told to check INI files, they probably only assigned to something that are related to certification or mundane stuff and accompanied with checklist and stuff. No qa have time to check other line not assigned to him.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it was being reported but the rest of the game was spewing out so many errors and warnings that it was ignored.
Yeah, that's a possible scenario. It being reported, but only at a logging level where you get spewed to death. Broken window theory and all that.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee you that a lot of coders after reading this will now go, "check spelling" when something goes wrong.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
These sorts of 'parsing raw strings and magically connecting them to the actual game code' errors are (one of) the worst to try and troubleshoot.

I'm not surprised at this news but it's still kind of funny.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
What's the word on the pacing of the gameplay now? I'm a sucker for older shooters and love the alien franchise. Does this bring the game from a 0 to a 6 in terms of quality?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is beyond embarrassing.

giphy.gif
That gif fits this so well.
Y'know what they say -- You can't spell 'Revelaitons' without Aliens.
giphy.gif

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I would've laughed with you guys had i've known this bone-headed programming mistake before this month or so . . . . but as someone who just spent days poring through code and customer data trying to identify and fix the source of the processing timeout error . . . . only to belatedly realize that the timeout value stored in the ini file IS the source of the timeout error. It was too low. There is still a question as to how or why our partner all of a sudden was sending this ridiculously huge data to process but i still cant help but feel stupid for not quickly realizing the obvious.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It can be really hard to spot stuff like this when you've been staring at your code for weeks/months/years. Hell, it actually took me a second to spot the typo when the two lines were side by side in the article. That being said it's still hilarious.

I'm still shocked the Wii U version got cancelled considering Alien is like the one franchise in existence that is perfectly suited to make use of the Wii U Gamepad.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
This shit is funny because literally this week I had an error where I had a typo and a config value wasnt loading properly but it wasnt crashing either. It has probably been therr for a fdw weeks and no one noticed

Unknown

Oct 29, 2017
As appalling as this is, I can completely understand it happening.

Hypothetically:

AI team invest time building a competent system. Deadline is on the horizon, other teams are struggling.

Everyone panics because the game is over on all sorts of budgets, poor performance, using too much memory, etc.
Stuff gets cut, huge rearrangements, lots of things change radically and rapidly to fight this fire. Absolutely everything gets broken, stability goes out the window, game is an unplayable mess.

Somehow this ini file is accidentally changed in the chaos. All of a sudden, the otherwise competent AI takes a giant crap on itself, but no one noticed because everything else is completely broken.

Deadlines looming. Everything is on fire, bugs everywhere. Everyone is panicking. AI has been drafted to help fight other people's fires.

Finally a stable build, actually can play it without crashing everywhere. First release candidate. No one touch it. AI team is baffled because now the game isn't a broken mess they see the AI isn't working right. Investigate, makes no sense... Everything looks fine, code hasn't changed. WTF...

Deadline hits. They get told they can't make any more changes. Locked down, gotta get it out the door.

AI team is devastated.

Bunch of people quit.
Happens way more often than you'd think.

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So how didn't the compiler catch the typo?
.ini files are plain text files that are read during execution, not part of the binary code that is generated during the compilation process. A compiler would catch a typo in the code that it is compilating, not one of the external files that code reads from after its been put into production.

A better question would be: why did they not add checks to the configuration files' parsing code that printed a warning or something when it found a parameter value that didn't correspond to any valid value for that parameter? It would have been easier to catch that way, specially since presumably the files are read at game startup.

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. The software I work on has several spelling errors throughout the code that we have to work around. None of them are mechanical but I know it'll happen eventually.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how that coder got through their day at that crucial point in time.

-Checks out newest build
-Codes for a day
-Everything works
-Let me tidy things up real quick and I can go home
-Checks in changes without giving it another go

Feels good man.png
"Maybe I can finally get back home in time before the kiddo needs to go to sleep... Watch a movie with the wifey... "

-Alarm Klaxons
-Logs burst into flames
-Debug build slows to a crawl
-AI breaks completely
-Unrelated bugs spring forth and multiply
-Rest of the team and QA look at recent commits and grab spanking sticks

"Fuck. me."
-Quick message to cuddlymuffins2569: Sorry hun we're having problems, I might be a bit late. Will make it up to you. XOXO

-Looks at error message "Blablabla object teather does not exist bla bla" ... Hey I didn't change any of that, probably a parsing bug in the new engine build?
-Fixyourshit.png (->Engine guy)
-NoU.svg (<-Engine guy)
-duncare.gif, make it work or the both of you can walk the plank (<-boss TO:wholeteam CC:HR)

(Some hours later, things are looking desperate: bug remains)

-Sneakily creates instance of misspelled object with default values during engine startup
-Most errors go away (but the AI remains somewhat broken)
-Adds /* ===FIXME=== ===FIXME=== ===FIXME=== Clean up this mess. It's an ugly hack but it kinda works. Dunno why. Prolly Dave's parsing again. */
-Checks in new version
-Most complaints go away (QA still mad af tho)
-3 o'clock in the morning, no more developer juice remaining, reputation tarnished but somewhat redeemed

"What a day. I don't look forward to hunting down that parsing bug tomorrow."

Next day:

"Dude, Randy will be over in an hour and we need (list of features) to work and a nice presentation. Since you done fucked up yesterday, the presentation's all on you mate. Have fun. Keep him busy and out of the office or we'll personally ship you to Sibiria."

"But the AI-"

"One. Hour."

_(´ཀ`」 ∠)_

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The bare amount of game programming knowledge i have is working with .ini files and even i know that shit can fuck you up if you miss even one word. So I'm not gonna pretend to be surprised that something this simple was overlooked. It happens.

Shame that people (expectedly) jumped on the Randy Pitchford shitposting almost immediately

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
.ini files are plain text files that are read during execution, not part of the binary code that is generated during the compilation process. A compiler would catch a typo in the code that it is compilating, not one of the external files that code reads from after its been put into production.

A better question would be: why did they not add checks to the configuration files' parsing code that printed a warning or something when it found a parameter value that didn't correspond to any valid value for that parameter? It would have been easier to catch that way, specially since presumably the files are read at game startup.

An "advantage" of UE is that is pretty robust to missing files and scripts. You can disable movies in every UE game only deleting the files. A missing texture will be grey, etc

Maybe a warning was in some place, but nothing critical for them to put more effort into. Sadly.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of the Sonic 4: Episode II PC locked resolution bug, which Sonic 4 PR said wasn't possible to resolve due to the image "breaking down"; only for someone to change literally just one line of code to properly fix it. (Although Sega actually bothered to release an official patch that included the fix, unlike Gearbox.)

What a mess.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the Sonic 4: Episode II PC locked resolution bug, which Sonic 4 PR said wasn't possible to resolve due to the image "breaking down"; only for someone to change literally just one line of code to properly fix it. (Although Sega actually bothered to release an official patch that included the fix, unlike Gearbox.)

What a mess.
I mean this was just reported a few days. Maybe give them some time to "officially" patch it before saying Gearbox won't do it.

However, I agree this entire game was still a shit show, this being a hidden participant for 5 years.