• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping I'd like this movie more after sitting on it for a while but it's still a 6/10 for me. It needed to be longer. The dialogue also needed to be not bad. And honestly, I just can't see what people love about the action. Not a single action scene is memorable to me except when she
gets cut into pieces and then pushes herself off the ground with one arm to stab the dude in the eye.
and some parts of Motor Ball. I wish I understood the love because I'm really enjoying the manga. I also hate what they did to the villain. That was super weak.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I really wonder what Christoph Waltz is thinking in his head while be interviewed by a fake idol on a TV screen haha.

Is the way these AI idols work, is just have someone (in this case, in like a room in the back) essentially doing motions on a Kinect/Vive/etc. that transfers to the character?

Rosa was pretty cute and totally going along with it.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Just got back from seeing it with the family, we all loved it. My 10 y/o niece isn't into scifi and I was worried she'd be bored and talk nonstop, but she really got into it.

The action was well choreographed, clearly shot, and memorable.
The main three characters did a good job and I enjoyed their performances. My focus wasn't on Alita's eyes the whole time (was iffy after seeing the trailers).
I thought it had really excellent world building. Haven't read the manga, but I think they gave more than enough info to piece together the past.
There's some legit messed up body horror/violence. If you thought the Wheelers in Return to Oz were nightmare fuel, this takes the cake.

The only things I'd say could improve would be the pacing. Felt kind of like the movie had 4.5 acts, and I would NOT agree it needed to be longer.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I really quite liked this movie. Especially everything from the start up till the fight with Grewchasky. Fights were stunning, and I LOVED the bar fight. Motorball was cool.

I didn't really have a problem with Hugo or the love plot. Hell, I'm a sucker for a love plot. It's just that much of the dialogue was so corny or not well written.

Also, my contact lense fell out of my one eye, so while I had to put it back in in the dark, I saw Alita suddenly point her sword to the sky at the arena. How did she win? By knocking out the other hunters?

And I love Alita as a character. Especially during and after her fight with Grewchasky. And that one F word she got in lol.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Also, my contact lense fell out of my one eye, so while I had to put it back in in the dark, I saw Alita suddenly point her sword to the sky at the arena. How did she win? By knocking out the other hunters?
You're going to have to describe the last thing you saw before that, because that scene took place after a time jump.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, can't even remember. I might have missed a minute before her stepping onto the platform in the arena. I think the last I saw was Alita killing Vector.
That was literally it. Vector apparently didn't have any other defense effective against Alita left. We don't actually see her leave - it just fast forwards to her suiting up for a Motorball match months later. (I want to say she's actually in the Motorball body and not the Berserker body in this scene, but I'm not totally sure.) She sheds a single tear while checking her equipment, which she proceeded to cut in half with the sword before walking out of the changing area. She then walks out to be introduced, which is where the sword pointing scene happens.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
That was literally it. Vector apparently didn't have any other defense effective against Alita left. We don't actually see her leave - it just fast forwards to her suiting up for a Motorball match months later. (I want to say she's actually in the Motorball body and not the Berserker body in this scene, but I'm not totally sure.) She sheds a single tear while checking her equipment, which she proceeded to cut in half with the sword before walking out of the changing area. She then walks out to be introduced, which is where the sword pointing scene happens.
Oh, alright. Thanks a lot for the description. :)

I really liked Alita, Ido and Zapan in this. Oh yeah, had no idea Lana Condor would be in this, so that was a very nice surprise, although her character didn't have much if anything to do really. Oh, loved the Hell Hounds and their owner as well.

I guess Alita turned out to be part of some special force/program to take down Nova. What she did in space I have no idea, but that shit was cool.

That said, I think Ido's background was the most interesting.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the movie but I do feel like there needed to be more scenes during some parts since it felt disjointed at times. I hope we get a sequel even though hope isn't high, I would love to see who would play Figure Four.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Just got back from seeing it, very enjoyable. Hope it does well enough to get a sequel!

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm thinking of seeing it a 3rd time. I dunno but there's something about the movie that captivates me. I have A-List so it's not like I can't take advantage of seeing it more.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Is the way these AI idols work, is just have someone (in this case, in like a room in the back) essentially doing motions on a Kinect/Vive/etc. that transfers to the character?

Rosa was pretty cute and totally going along with it.

Rosa is basically like Alita.
Love the movie. Watched it twice over the weekend. 3D and 2D.

This is amazing.

Yeah and Rosa is so adorable going along with it. She's basically Alita in real life haha or Alita is her

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
I like it a lot despite being spoiled too much by the trailers and having the manga in the back of my head.

The pacing became too quick at some points which gave less impact than needed for some scenes.
I hate love story but didn't mind the hugo one much because it didn't go overboard like some others movies.
Actions was great but I expected more of it.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Im so hapoy thos movie is performing, lets keep it up!! Im going again this thurs!! Loved this movie!

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
I saw this for a second time today in a 3D imax theater. The first time was just in a regular theater, and while I didn't think this movie needed to be in 3D, as expected, it looked good. Made an already great looking movie, look real nice in spots. I love this movie, and hope it does well enough for a sequel :( It was completely empty besides my dad and I at the imax theater. Maybe because the tickets are overpriced compared to other cinemas, but still...not a good sign I thought seeing an opening week movie be completely empty.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
wtf gelda was michelle rodriguez?
cool
if there is a sequel, hopefully jashugan is recast, jai courtney doesn't look as cool as jashugan in the manga

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
A fairly competently made film with some highlights but I can't help but feel something is missing or it didn't quite hit me as hard as it could've.

And this really needs a sequel with that ending. -_-; Like, this movie does do a decent story arc with some kind of conclusion but the larger narrative is left totally incomplete. There's just so much set-up for storylines beyond this first movie that it'd be a crime for this to not get a sequel, even if it's not the bestest movie ever.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked a lot of the characters, but the movie felt over-long and a little boring. I would've cut out the roller ball stuff. It felt inconsequential to the story they were telling.

Also, why is everyone wearing 20th century earth clothes 500 years in the future? Even after an apocalypse, I'd think style would change significantly during that time.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
i liked the movie a lot. i wanted more action scenes but i can tell by the ending that if they wanted to up the action they can definitely go up a notch! i aint mad at all i really hope there is a 2nd and 3rd movie tbh. the beginning felt a little off but then once it started to flow into the story i enjoyed it more.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For some reason I love Rosa's voice. Theres a vocal fry in there but its not overbearing. Definitely dosn't match Alita, which actually works well.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it, so much that it makes me want to reread the manga

Face like an Angel with a body built for battle was the corniest thing in the movie though
More than anything Hugo said

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I watched this in glorious regular-ass 2D.

You know what, this was fairly enjoyable. Visually there's no doubt that Robert Rodriguez nailed it. The grimy cyberpunky feel of the city is great, and it's effortlessly presented as a living, actual location. Recently rewatched Black Panther and the difference in how the streets of Wakanda versus Iron City's are presented is kinda huge. Really nicely executed. The main cyborg designs are essentially all fantastic and very creative. Just really fucking cool-looking characters. Speaking of, the CGI is top tier and I wasn't bothered a single moment by Alita's eyes, it's a non issue. And the character is so often doing all kinds of crazy acrobatic stuff that it's definitely a positive that she's entirely CGI, else we would constantly suffer the disconnect between a digital double and a live action actress.

The action sequences are pretty awesome. And savage. Alita is a straight killer, doesn't give a single fuck. I was surprised by the brutality of this PG-13 movie. I guess you can get away with a lot if the blood is colored blue and you aren't actually killing people. :P Everything is shot, framed and edited cleanly and clearly. You're never confused about what's going on, there's a clear line of action and direction in every sequence. Everything is exciting and dynamic. Frankly directors that dwell in adapting comic books would do well to take a look at this film and see how that shit should be. My props to Robert Rodriguez. I also gotta say never thought to myself "I wish I had seen in 3D." Didn't matter at all that it was just 2D. Honestly I'm kinda pretty over that shit. However, a few times I was actually wishing this was shot in HFR. There's a lot of detail in what is going on and sometimes the character do zip by quickly and I think it would have greatly benefited from a higher framerate.

That said, the story is spotty. I enjoyed it for about 75% of it, then it makes a few turns here and there that don't make a whole lot of sense. The romance subplot flat out sucks, not due Alita/Rosa Salarez's fault, who is great. Just really enjoyable to watch her do her thing. Her love interest is unfortunately a black hole of charisma and personality. A totally charmless dweeb that I couldn't be any less interested in. And there's no conclusion. The movie ends almost suddenly. It feels like it's missing story.

That said I really liked it mostly due to the visual side of things, and due to Alita.

But this is no Speed Racer, which again people have began to call another movie "The Speed Racer of 20XX", whatever the hell that means anyway. There is no great innovation or boldness in the movie's aesthetic, cinematography or editing techniques. And the story just doesn't really hit emotionally, not for me anyway, which is what really endeared Speed Racer to me, it's not just some brainless rollercoaster of colors. But I digress. Alita is a good time and worth a watch with the appropriate expectations, but flawed and doesn't quite manage to hit its mark.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it sounds like Hugo sucks as much as he does in the manga but for different reasons? Man Hugo sucked in the manga. I'm guessing Figure Four isn't in the movie at all?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also forgot to mention this, but the production values in this movie are great. A 200M movie where you can actually see where the 200M went to. The human and cyborg CGI integration is astounding and the best I've seen of this type, never did I feel any kind of disconnect or weirdness. You watch this and then you watch some garbage like the CGI in Black Panther or the use of CGI for suits in Homecoming and Infinity War and the difference is absolutely fucking abysmal. What the hell is even going on at Marvel Studios. Get your shit together.

Oct 28, 2017
I also forgot to mention this, but the production values in this movie are great. A 200M movie where you can actually see where the 200M went to. The human and cyborg CGI integration is astounding and the best I've seen of this type, never did I feel any kind of disconnect or weirdness. You watch this and then you watch some garbage like the CGI in Black Panther or the use of CGI for suits in Homecoming and Infinity War and the difference is absolutely fucking abysmal. What the hell is even going on at Marvel Studios. Get your shit together.

I agree on like 99%. Hugo looked a little ropey as a cyborg but that scene on the cable high above the city below was breathtaking. CG environments were top notch.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
hugo and grewishka (makaku in the manga) is better in the manga imo
f4 wasn't in this

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the kind of sci-fi action schlocke I can get on board with. Half of it is a cornball mess, the script is often atrocious, and I wouldn't really even praise the world-building (I got MANY questions about this), but the world itself is often beautifully realized and it all left me curious to see and learn more about it. I dunno, there's just something to this movie. I enjoyed it.

You know, I was wrong when I saw the last trailer. I said that despite all the modern technological and cgi advances and money, a fully rendered ("human") being such as Alita still doesn't fully integrate with the live actors on screen. But while watching the final product, there are moments where it got me, where I fully believed her to be a completely physical element on screen. Sometimes, when the scene staging and lighting is just right, it works 101%. But then when the fighting and fast stuff happens it kind of falls apart a little bit.

I liked daddy Waltz doing a non-threatening version of his usual performances. Rosa Salazar's voice has a disarming quality to it and I really like her. I wish Mahershala Ali and Jennifer Connelly had more to do (or better material to work with). The surprise cameo near the end by a certain actor made me do the whiteguyblinkinggif face for a moment.

I'd be down for a sequel. Despite it not really moving any bars for me, I'm glad this exists. I think the teenage me would've lost my shit over it. I've never read the manga but I might look into it now.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah FF wasn't in this and I was looking, wondering who could play him.

He's not exactly the most distinct looking character outside of being jacked and having a sizable chin. Basically someone really lively and charismatic, even a little obnoxious.

70dea8b029.jpg

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Hugo was one of the worst parts of the manga as well. Dude was like Gally's kryptonite except he made her dumb instead of weak.
i dunno, i just finished reading OG alita and am now in last order
the way i see it, at the time she was akin to a teenager having a crush on the 1st boy she met