• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I fucking loooooove this film. Oh man. Its nearly everything I've wanted from a manga adaptation. The action was perfect, that acting good to fantastic, and it actually has a well formed emotional core. Also the fucking STAKES. Alita actually felt in danger which only made those action scene that much more intense. Then theres the mind boggling amount of detail. This film deserves so much more critical praise than its getting.

But most of all, Alita. Shes runs thrngambit from naive to stoic, and emotional. Forming this arc for her that makes all these things she goes through and the emotions involved feel earned.

FUCK your mercy!

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just want to say I fucking loved the scene after

Hugo's death were it timelapses the city

So fucking cool.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
As much as the love interest arc was groanworthy (and as much as I'd argue, that's half the point), the scene where she
climbs into his bedroom in a gender role reversal and then takes her heart out of her body and offers it up to him on a whim was a really cool scene, having just followed the reveal that she's a Berserker model and seeing her impulsivity with Ido and other preceding story beats.

It makes her character a lot more fun to watch when there's an air of danger not only to those around her and her enemies, but also to herself.

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017
Everyone hating on Hugo is hilarious. We've been hating Hugo for, like, a quarter of a century :) His death still had impact, but I feel that's because the viewer is sad for Alita, not the selfish organ harvester.

That being said, I feel the movie went to extraordinary lengths to make him less of an obnoxious asshole.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
That being said, I feel the movie went to extraordinary lengths to make him less of an obnoxious asshole.

I think that's true. They really toned him down to a more understandable, "pretty boy bland," rather than, "Holy crap, you're a total jerk, what does she see in you?"

At least now, as an emotionally immature "cyborg teen," Alita's crush on Hugo makes a lot more sense, even if it's not that sophisticated.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
You guys should spoil tag your posts this is still the OT and the movie has only been out a week.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hell yeah. The music that goes with the Motorball scene complements it so well. It was badass. What's great about it you can tell what is going on unlike other CG heavy movies.
I thought even the audience was really well done in that respect. To me it looked like the crowd was all real. At least in the close up shots.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus this movie is crazy violent for PG-13. Just cause they're cyborgs doesn't mean it doesn't look like a human getting dismembered!

But yeah, interesting to hear about the changes to the romance (making Alita a naive teen, changing Hugo's character) cause it still stuck out as bizarre. They made an honest effort!

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it in 2D in Dolby Cinema. Loved it. Gotta say, the two hours flew right by. Didn't take very long for them to get to the exposition and world building. If Cameron was directing, no question there would be more to the movie, including the length, but RR did just fine. I'm quite sure there will be a sequel irregardless of how this ultimately performs at the box office

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think they have great CGI frankly. Acceptable and/or passable CGI, maybe.
This just not gel with reality. They are still working with the biggest and best VFX studios (ILM, Weta like Alita did, etc.). They have helped being on the cutting edge of actor "de-aging" from finding a way to make Chris Evans look like a believeable short and scrawny guy to now shooting a full film with one of the leads de-aged to appear over 25 years younger.

We got leads like Rocket Raccoon, Thanos, and the Black Order being completely CGi with Academy Awards nominations for both Guardians movies and Infinity War.

But yes, focus on less than 30 seconds of VFX on Black Panther and Spider-Man's suit and ignore the thousands of artists working on these films for hundreds of thousands of man-hours that you sit through in the 15 minutes of credits listing their names, that you ignore just like their contributions, while you wait for a little post-credits tease.

What a lazy, empty criticism.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it yesterday and was kind of…whelmed. It wasn't terrible nor great, just kinda typical hollywood tween limonade prefabricate. Fairly competently shot, the CGI was nice, action scenes were fun, but the script just offered literally nothing of interest, only cliches. Expected more from a cult manga adaptation. I would have probably loved it if I was 12 and this was my first movie though. After Avatar, another disappointment from Iron Jim. I wonder how the new Terminator will fare.

It is striking how much it reminded me of Ready Player One and Ghost in the Shell (with scarjo). All three are almost interchangeably mediocre. Which given that cyberpunk is my favourite genre, kinda stings. At least we got Blade Runner 2049 and Upgrade.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tracking for 55M this weeeknd.
This just not gel with reality. They are still working with the biggest and best VFX studios (ILM, Weta like Alita did, etc.). They have helped being on the cutting edge of actor "de-aging" from finding a way to make Chris Evans look like a believeable short and scrawny guy to now shooting a full film with one of the leads de-aged to appear over 25 years younger.

We got leads like Rocket Raccoon, Thanos, and the Black Order being completely CGi with Academy Awards nominations for both Guardians movies and Infinity War.

But yes, focus on less than 30 seconds of VFX on Black Panther and Spider-Man's suit and ignore the thousands of artists working on these films for hundreds of thousands of man-hours that you sit through in the 15 minutes of credits listing their names, that you ignore just like their contributions, while you wait for a little post-credits tease.

What a lazy, empty criticism.
De-aging VFX is not that cutting edge, Lola VFX has been doing that for a while. First in X-Men 3 (with uh dubious results) and then much better in Benjamin Button. But yeah it's the most impressive part of their movies probably.

And I'm sorry, but it's not just 30 seconds. BP suffers from a lot of greenscreen/compositing issues, and Spiderman's suit in Homecoming looks fake pretty much the entire way through, as does any time we see a head poking through a CGI suit in other movies, notably Iron Man and Bruce Banner in Infinity War. These are main characters we're talking about. And in this regard, the way Alita mixes CG elements with people, it's just on another level. And in this particular aspect, yeah the CGI in Marvel's films is awful.

Overall though the VFX quality in Marvel's films is fine, just not particularly noteworthy or praiseworthy to me. *shrug* You bring up Academy Awards as an arguement point, but if their visual effects are so great how come they haven't won a single time in this category after over 20 movies?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, what Weta brings to a Cameron directed/produced movie is on another level.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Overall though the VFX quality in Marvel's films is fine, just not particularly noteworthy or praiseworthy to me. *shrug* You bring up Academy Awards as an arguement point, but if their visual effects are so great how come they haven't won a single time in this category after over 20 movies?

Marvel/Disney never bothered pushing their movies this hard with the Academy before, usually this is a lost cause. Heath Ledger had to die for one of his greatest performances to be recognised by the Oscars because it was a Batman film.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
China poster is fire emojis

4uoj1qkg6rh21.jpg

Umm...WOW! 😍

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
De-aging VFX is not that cutting edge, Lola VFX has been doing that for a while. First in X-Men 3 (with uh dubious results) and then much better in Benjamin Button. But yeah it's the most impressive part of their movies probably.

And I'm sorry, but it's not just 30 seconds. BP suffers from a lot of greenscreen/compositing issues, and Spiderman's suit in Homecoming looks fake pretty much the entire way through, as does any time we see a head poking through a CGI suit in other movies, notably Iron Man and Bruce Banner in Infinity War. These are main characters we're talking about. And in this regard, the way Alita mixes CG elements with people, it's just on another level. And in this particular aspect, yeah the CGI in Marvel's films is awful.

Alita has some noticeable compositing issues in the same way with some faces in the Motorball scene or Hugo in his final scene and again, you are generally cherry picking a handful of shots which is easy to do when taking from a 20 film filmography. And the most egregious offenders that people tend to bring up, like Black Panther or Bruce Banner in Infinity War are scene that were reshot and/or had late changes in editing/post production, which isn't exactly a fair 1:1 comparison with shots that were planned and prevized from before any actors were ever shot. There is even a clear difference between some of those shots and others in the Marvel films alone.

Also, I don't know if you noticed, but that category is pretty competitive and many winners get to boast of doing something ground breaking. I'm sure that if you set aside your bias, you'd acknowledge that even getting nominated puts a film into a cut above "average", and in the same class with losers like District 9, The Dark Knight, the Planet of the Apes trilogy, Prometheus, Max Max:Fury Road, The Revenant, The Martian, etc. You know, movies that are just "fine". I believe they'll take a win this year due to the hype surrounding Thanos in IW and not a lot of strong competition.

Marvel/Disney never bothered pushing their movies this hard with the Academy before, usually this is a lost cause. Heath Ledger had to die for one of his greatest performances to be recognised by the Oscars because it was a Batman film.
Yeah, to my knowledge, this is the first time Marvel has ever bothered to have an Oscar campaign at all. It also seems like the Academy is a bit adverse to awarding straight up "blockbuster" action films and franchises unless there is a lack of anything else.

Last edited:

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this last night and I thought it was awesome, way better than I was expecting. There were some fantastic actions scenes.

Really disappointed in the box office numbers because I'd love to see a sequel even though the movie was satisfying enough as a single film.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth seeing this movie in 3D? I generally don't care for 3D, but since James Cameron has a hand in the film it might be better this time.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
My parents have a 3D TV and BD player but it almost never gets used for that purpose. I might have to try and check these two movies out if I can get the 3D glasses working.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard people say that PSVR is good because there's no glasses that dim the picture, but I've never really tried it. I'm kinda skeptical of the quality of the OLEDs though.

It's true, there's a bit of a trade-off. I've watched some 3D BDs I happened to have at home, like Man of Steel and the most recent Dredd movie. The 3D effect does work nicely, but you're not watching a sharp, pristine HD image anymore. I won't say it's a blurry mess, because it's not, but if you pay attention, you notice the crispness is gone. Not quite SD, but definitely as sharp as what you're used to on a nice HDTV, and definitely no contest compared to 4K.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Is it worth seeing this movie in 3D? I generally don't care for 3D, but since James Cameron has a hand in the film it might be better this time.

I felt like it elevated things in a periphery filling theater like IMAX. And I'm usually indifferent to 3D. The action is very focused and not hectic so it works very well with the 3D.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone hating on Hugo is hilarious. We've been hating Hugo for, like, a quarter of a century :) His death still had impact, but I feel that's because the viewer is sad for Alita, not the selfish organ harvester.

This. ^
He's less of a dick and kinda tried to seek redemption in the film though. His look was probably one reason why Alita was so moonstruck.

Let's cross our fingers! Movie opens in China and Japan today!
I'm sure it will be popular in Asia, China at least, their mainstream audience seems to like flashy/CG-heavy movies. : )

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I wanted to cheer so badly when he died lol, I loved this movie but left a bit disappointed since I wanted more.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only just how realizing that what happens to Chiren kinda messes up the secret of Zalem, but I imagine a sequel would find a way around that.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it again to see if my opinion would change and nope still the best movie I've ever seen.

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
I felt sad for Alita when Hugo fell. But I don't feel sad that Hugo died :)
This and I think that's pretty much the intent.
Hugo was in the end a horrible person. He might have seen the light in the end and wanted to change but all he did and cause caught up with him. I felt bad for Alita was going to feel because it was clear how much she cared about him, feelings I do believe he didn't deserve at all.