• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Was gonna open a separate thread, but might as well post here. Anyone from NYC who wants to go to the interactive Alita experience in Brooklyn, since I work there as a performer I got a discount code that grants you up to 6 free tickets (which is perfect since it's a team based experience). If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll give you the discount code. I think it should work for the LA and Austin location too. Also, the discount code is for this weekend only I think.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was gonna open a separate thread, but might as well post here. Anyone from NYC who wants to go to the interactive Alita experience in Brooklyn, since I work there as a performer I got a discount code that grants you up to 6 free tickets (which is perfect since it's a team based experience). If you're interested, send me a pm and I'll give you the discount code. I think it should work for the LA and Austin location too. Also, the discount code is for this weekend only I think.

Is this like a themed escape room?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Is this like a themed escape room?

Yup, only thing is, you're not trying to escape the room, instead you're going through multiple "stations" playing different team based games (while competing against other teams) for the highest score, the winning team gets a 1000 credit coin used in the movie (each team member gets one).

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, only thing is, you're not trying to escape the room, instead you're going through multiple "stations" playing different team based games (while competing against other teams) for the highest score, the winning team gets a 1000 credit coin used in the movie (each team member gets one).

Hmm... how many people are recommended and how long is this going till?

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Hmm... how many people are recommended and how long is this going till?
It's going through April 25th, you can come solo or with friends, either way you'll be assigned a team color (so if you're coming with 6 friends you'll all be one team, if you come alone, you'll get assigned to a group that is bellow 6 team members). It's a nice 2h experience if you're into the world of Alita.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Movie Bob's Review:

7/10
He thought it was messy and all over the place with the usual criticisms of Hugo, but he still enjoyed it.I highly recommend you watch the video, he comes up with some good and interesting points.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I suspect this movie to have strong legs. Personally watched it on good word of mouth from a work colleague so, instead of just passing on it based on its critic scores.

Dont sleep on Alita based on the RT and MC score.

Oh and i really liked the movie, was better than expected even tho he gave it a strong recommendation.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Just got out.
It was good I guess? I liked the main character alita she was great! The love interest sucked as well as the villian. But the action was good and the ending actually makes me want a sequel but there is so much they can play with.
Also sorry to say the amount of let me tell you the audience what happened or what this mean was crazy! I swear the first 30 minutes all conversation was like this.
It's a solid 6-7ish on first viewing..I think this movie will work better as a part one of a trilogy then an stand alone film.

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
3 times. I dunno, its just enjoyable for me. Prolly got a slight crush on Rosa, which makes it all easier.

It's pretty crazy how good of a job WETA did with Alita that it made us have a crush on an actor that we don't even see on screen. They got all of Rosa's personality and mannerisms through the CGI.

Crushing on Rosa too lol

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else feel like Robert Rodriguez pulled off the impossible? I never would have thought I'd see him take on such a big budget movie with James Camerons stamp. What is the story with how he got to direct?

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Does anyone else feel like Robert Rodriguez pulled off the impossible? I never would have thought I'd see him take on such a big budget movie with James Camerons stamp. What is the story with how he got to direct?

Basically Jim and Robert had a meeting and Jim showed Robert his script and told him if he can trim it down to movie length, he will let him direct. Something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
This is the successor to Speed Racer I've been waiting for. I love this movie.

I wasn't expecting to give anything approaching a shit about the characters but all the leads are very personable and fun. Only thing I wish is that the assistant maybe got another couple lines, she was silent in a way that was really weird.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know what its tracking for on its second weekend in the states?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4488&p=.htm

Following a debut performance that topped expectations, Fox's Alita: Battle Angel enters its sophomore frame as something of a question mark. It received a solid "A-" CinemaScore from opening day crowds and the audience score on RottenTomatoes is a strong 94% to go along with a solid 7.6/10 rating from IMDb users. The question here is whether it can continue to over perform. Based on what we're seeing historically, a best case scenario looks like a drop around -48% or so this weekend and a $14.8 millionthree-day performance for a domestic cume topping $63 million by the end of the weekend. That, however, is based primarily on its three-day performance over the three-day holiday weekend, of which it got a jump start on the Thursday prior, what kind of effect that has on its performance this weekend will be something to watch.

How to Train Your Dragon starts this weekend in NA. Not direct competition, but will knock it from the #1 spot for sure.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
That motorball race was incredible

But I'm half missed they made a jashugan cameo but only that. It seems pointless and wasted

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Wow, this movie has joined a small list of significantly flawed movies that I absolutely love. Tron Legacy,, John Carter and Alita. All three have hype as fuck endings too, which makes the inevitable lack of sequels much more heartbreaking :(

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow, this movie has joined a small list of significantly flawed movies that I absolutely love. Tron Legacy,, John Carter and Alita. All three have hype as fuck endings too, which makes the inevitable lack of sequels much more heartbreaking :(

Tron Legacy has to be an embarassment of riches for Disney. Completely drop it for Tomorrowland which was a huge disappointment. I will never forgive them for that.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3 times. I dunno, its just enjoyable for me. Prolly got a slight crush on Rosa, which makes it all easier.

Didn't need to justify to me. Lol.. I love this movie. I'm definitely going to watch this again and may be one more time in a couple of weeks if I get the chance to do so. I'm trying to Will a sequel into existence at this point.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I ended up seeing it last night with my best friend (I read the manga back when I was in undergrad, so my memory is a bit fuzzy on the big details, but both of us watched the VHS of the OVA like crazy when we were kids) and... well, we both liked it.

I see the flaws for the movie; the story is kind of dense and jumps all over the place at times, the acting save Christolph Waltz was kinda rough in the beginning but gets better as the movie goes on (Alita's actress really, really grew on me over the course of the movie), and the CG isn't great (It's not Black Panther bad, but it's not super great either). But overall, I ended up liking it way more than I thought I would (after shit like Ghost in the Shell, my expectations were rock bottom)

The movie is pretty much an expanded remake of the OVA, except you actually know who the main villain is in addition to Alita's orgin way ahead of time, but it was all good.

My friend and I took informal bets on whether the dog would get finger sliced, and if Hugo would still get wrecked by the spike rings.

It's been awhile since I've read/seen the source material, but Hugo is... annoying here, but way better than he was (Imagine if in this movie, he wasn't convinced by Alita's words shortly before her death, and he was whining about how he was now a cyborg and how life sucks and he is going to this sky cybercity, damn everything).

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this today and eneded up liking it more than I expected. The script is a mess with clumsy dialogue, odd character interactions, convenient plot points, bad pacing and is full of cliches but I think it has some strong characters which makes the story bearable. Alita herself was a success as a character. She's simultaneously a badass action heroine but also emotionally vulnerable and honest. Maybe leans a bit too much into the noble strong soul trope but it's very well done. WETA+Salazar did a great job in building her performance. I think they could have pushed the Angel theme a bit harder though - her actions inspiring good in people in a world where everyone's out fending only for themselves. I thought they were trying to do this with the bar scene but it didn't go anywhere (like the myriad of other things in the film). I mean her impact on the major characters like Hugo and Chiren is apparent but I was hoping for a more wider influence. The teenage romance....worked in places and didn't at others. It works when used as a means for showing Alita's unconditional love for things and growing maturity but it's hard to have much genuine emotional investment in it because it's so shallow - it is literally a teenage girl's first crush, which would be fine if it didn't make up so much of her motivations and the movie. Nova I thought was cool (until we find out what he looks like) but there's just too many things going on here between him, Vector, the henchman, bounty hunters, motor ball, space war, the love story, Ido/Chiren/daughter dynamic (and something else I'm probably missing). The world itself though was wonderfully realised and it looked very nice in 3D. It was nice to see a different spin on the cyberpunk aesthetic. I liked it's blend of Asian, American, European buildings, markets and streets with nature still thriving. The action was good but a bit overwhelming in parts.

Last edited:

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...d19.8-million-on-opening-day-in-china/.143814

Chinese market news. Well bad timing, sounds like it came out during a popular Chinese sci-fi movie :/ 19 mil sounds pretty low for opening there...
It's killing it in China and is tracking for a $62m opening weekend actually.

$19m is the daily total m, my dude. Not the weekend.

If it performs like Ready Player One from here, the film could get into the black based on China alone. Still no easy feat.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...d19.8-million-on-opening-day-in-china/.143814

Chinese market news. Well bad timing, sounds like it came out during a popular Chinese sci-fi movie :/ 19 mil sounds pretty low for opening there...
A bit higher than that apparently. From the BO thread:

Simply not true. -60% these days is not a big drop. Wouldn't be surprised to see Alita slightly beat that estimate.

Keep in mind that the move was originally looking to do 45-50m territory. It showed some positive momentum on Saturday, could ebb over 65m.

I don't know how much that translates to in terms of total intake though. There seems to be quite a bit of variability to the OW:total BO ratio in China.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't know how much that translates to in terms of total intake though. There seems to be quite a bit of variability to the OW:total BO ratio in China.

Alita well enough on scoring on user rating platforms but it has some decent competition. It should easily do at least x2 but after that it's unknown. Saturday showed some positive WOM effect, so it may develop some decent legs.

I am rooting for it!

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...z-china-wonder-woman-terminator/#4705ebcb42c1
The good news is that it's still kicking butt in China, with a $24.8m Saturday (+25.5% from its $19.75m opening day) for what should be a $63.5m Fri-Sun frame.

That's on par with Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One (which legged it to $218 million last year after a $61m debut in China) but it's also about on par with Kong: Skull Island (which earned $168m from a $71m launch in 2017) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (which earned $172m from a $65m launch in 2017). If it holds up at least as well as the 2017 releases, then it could hit $150m-$166m in China alone. That would be a great result but, pending how it performs everywhere else, not quite enough to make it a hit. Now if it plays like Ready Player One and flirts with $200m-plus (which is a big "if"), that's a different story.

Offhand, if it earns $175 million in China (How to Train Your Dragon 3 is "only" expected to earn $30m next weekend), $85m in North America and over/under $200m everywhere else (Maze Runner, Termiantor: Genisys and Ready Player One earned $220m-$238m overseas without China), then it still gets to a face-saving (if not money-making) $460m worldwide. However, if it goes the distance in China and holds up around the world, we could (again… "could") be looking at the first Hollywood flick to earn $500m worldwide without earning at least $100m in North America.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back, really impressed with the final product. Got off on an awkward foot at first, and Jennifer Connoly was a void, but about 1/4 of the way in it picks up steam and keeps going all the way through. 3D looked really good, and the action was the best kind of schlock, bless Rodriguez.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Alita herself was the reason this movie works. Great acting and CGI made her an extremely likable character. I need a Funko.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty crazy how good of a job WETA did with Alita that it made us have a crush on an actor that we don't even see on screen. They got all of Rosa's personality and mannerisms through the CGI.

Crushing on Rosa too lol
Count me in as someone who developed a crush on Rosa as well.

I didn't even really realize until the second time I saw the movie since it's been a long time since I can remember an actress giving a performance that made me crush on a character in the span of one movie, especially without knowing the source material or who Rosa was beforehand and given that Alita was all CGi.

Rosa's sincerity, vulnerability, sass, and confidence are all pulled off so well and really make Alita a 3 dimensional character.