• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this although I wish my AMC had played it in just regular Dolby 2D instead of 3D, I don't really feel 3D added anything, I never really felt any depth or anything and the glasses were distracting every now and then.

What I really wish though is that this had been an HBO or Netflix TV series, it really felt rushed in the last third of the movie and a nice 6-8 episode season 1 would have just been so much better paced and setup a great season 2, whereas I felt extremely disappointed by the ending in the movie.

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed this although I wish my AMC had played it in just regular Dolby 2D instead of 3D, I don't really feel 3D added anything, I never really felt any depth or anything and the glasses were distracting every now and then.

What I really wish though is that this had been an HBO or Netflix TV series, it really felt rushed in the last third of the movie and a nice 6-8 episode season 1 would have just been so much better paced and setup a great season 2, whereas I felt extremely disappointed by the ending in the movie.

None of the Dolby theaters here in NJ play in 3D. It's great ... hope that never changes.

TokyoJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoyed it very much. Never thought they would come so close to the Original story. Very well done. Went for the 2D option. Glad I did.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Alita has a lot of heart, it has problems, but all of them excusable, imo.

I'd watch something like this every time over yet another by the book vanilla marvel movie.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Saw it last night. It was good. Cheesy-as-fuck, but fun. Hugo is the absolute worst. I literally leaned over to my friend after Hugo said three words and went "Oh no, I'm gonna hate this motherfucker..."

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Watched the movie yesterday and really liked it. I ordered the deluxe manga box set of the first series and will probably pick up the last order omnibuses after that. Can anyone give an impression of those LO omnibuses btw? They seem awfully thick for their size, so I'm afraid the books will be uncomfortable to hold and the spines will crease easily...

Dec 31, 2017
I liked it for the most part.

There were some glaring issues with either the editing or the pace.

The sense of time and progression was fucked.

The interaction/story sometimes seems like it takes place over a months/a year but the pacing flies by and sort of feels like 2 weeks.

Sheerans change of heart, the boyfriend climbing up the tower, Alita feeling smothered. The URM war It was kind of all there and mostly made sense, but it needed a lot more room to breathe. Maybe in a sequel that looks like it's not happening.

And the director can't do action. It was competent but not exciting.

I liked mostly everything else. The world was cool, I LOVED the way Alita looked and the actors were fine. Although if they had found a way to put Josh & Mike into the boyfriends crew somehow that would have been perfect.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
Finally saw it. Actually really like it, will put some of my other mangas on hold and read the manga now. Liked it a lot, hopefully Im as plesently surprised as when I read the Blame manga.

Still haven't gotten to Ghost in the Shell.

OT the movie was good, some editing issues and the ending felt rushed as hell. But it looked cool, had great action, had an awesome world.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Im seriously doubting Im gonna have more fun watching Captain Marvel than I did with Alita. And that says alot from me.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So the box office money that this movie is bringing in keeps on popping up in my news feed.
This news article says it's sitting at $350 mil and at the number 3 spot? If so this is all great!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
So the box office money that this movie is bringing in keeps on popping up in my news feed.
This news article says it's sitting at $350 mil and at the number 3 spot? If so this is all great!

I'm actually really surprised (and really happy) that it's been holding in the top 3, 3 weeks after release. This is why I figured it was a great time to release it, and not have to compete with Bumblebee, Spider-Verse, Aquaman, etc., if it still released back in December. As much as I wanted this to do well, realistically, I figured it would debut at no 2 at the most (most likely 3) and would've dropped off after a week. It may not be a huge blockbuster, in terms of profits, but it's been holding on.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Saw this yesterday. I thought it was an incredibly lopsided film. I don't watch many movies and this is typically invisible to me, but man is the acting some of the worst I've seen. Unnatural line reads + stilted dialogue to shoehorn in information is NOT the combo you want. That said, I loved the story beats, how unique all the modified bodies looked and operated, and the action in general. Alita's growth was believable and she herself is a well-written character.

Hated the ending because I know there is so much more story that could still be told. I wanted this to be a 3hr movie. This is one of the rare times where I'll probably check out the source material instead of waiting for a sequel.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
[

Comicbook.com is really bad with this kind of article... well most every article they write. They don't mention the marketing budget at all or the fact China isn't exactly saving this considering how much of the ticket sales the studios usually take home. It'll get to around $400 million but that's probably it especially with Captain Marvel coming out this week. It's by no means a bomb but I wouldn't expect this to garner a sequel or it does expect it with a significantly smaller budget unless Cameron agrees to do it himself in a decade.

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
We saw this today, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I anticipated.
The fights and spectacle moments were so much fun and over the top. There were certainly moments my wife and I were exchanging looks at each other because of how corny it was getting, but it was never bad enough to ruin it for me.

I suspect being familiar with the source material before watching helped a lot with following the story, because it seemed really scatter-brained.

Really crossing my fingers that this gets a sequel. Would love to see more of Alita on the big screen.

The Orz

Dec 5, 2017

Just came across this (apparently old) Q&A session with James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, Jon Landau, and Rosa Salazar and it just makes me smile. Cameron, Rodriquez, and Salazar are such Alita nerds it's absolutely wonderful. Really helps downplay the belief that Cameron had no real interest in the project.

Also, Salazar got Yukito Kishiro to autograph her graphic novels.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017

Just came across this (apparently old) Q&A session with James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, Jon Landau, and Rosa Salazar and it just makes me smile. Cameron, Rodriquez, and Salazar are such Alita nerds it's absolutely wonderful. Really helps downplay the belief that Cameron had no real interest in the project.

There was never a belief that Cameron had no real interest in the project. The dude held onto the rights for almost two decades, wrote the script and did a year of preproduction work on the film years back.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
This movie was not good. There was nice world building, though it had the typical problem of post-apocalyptic stories of
why would everyone live packed into violent, dirty cities, while outside the walls it's green and spacious.
The story was all over the place. I found no fault with the CGI; it was really outstanding. No Uncanny Valley, though I didn't enjoy looking at Alita. Either her eyes were still too big or her chin was too small. Hugo was a terrible character with a dumb subplot and the actor belongs in a cable tv sitcom. Motorball as a sport makes little sense in execution, though it was visually impressive. Outside the action scenes, the movie dragged, and literally 5 seconds before the movie ended, I thought,
"This movie feels so long, and they haven't even done the thing they've been setting up yet! ... What? It's over?"

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
There was never a belief that Cameron had no real interest in the project.
No real interest in the original work, at least. It's pretty clear the movie is barely based on the OVA (which Kishito never liked) and "oh, and then there's this Motorball thing", and I still think it's fairly obvious Cameron was in it for the technical challenge first and foremost (but then he made Avatar, so...).

Last edited:

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
There was nice world building, though it had the typical problem of post-apocalyptic stories of
why would everyone live packed into violent, dirty cities, while outside the walls it's green and spacious.

Isn't that kind of like real life? More people live in cities for more opportunities (even if it is dirty and dangerous) instead of living alongside nature in forests/jungles.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Thanks for this great watch so far.

Rodriguez nailed what I realize made this so special about the movie. He talked about catching Cameron's infectious interest in Alita and why he decided to immediately pick up on it. Something about how in Cameron's homemade characters of "Sarah Connor and Ripley finding their Warrior Spirit, while Alita always had the Warrior Spirit and found her heart".

Im seriously doubting Im gonna have more fun watching Captain Marvel than I did with Alita. And that says alot from me.

Currently the same way i'm feeling. Going into Captain Marvel with open arms though and trying to keep my expectations in check. If there was anything I learned from Alita, the trailer won't be a fair representation of the movie (hopefully).

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that kind of like real life? More people live in cities for more opportunities (even if it is dirty and dangerous) instead of living alongside nature in forests/jungles.

Yeah. The comics also shows that there are other cities, villages and rural areas but people probably prefer to live in the citirs because there are more opportunities.

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Robert Rodriguez: 'I don't live in Hollywood. There's nobody to tell me I'm doing it wrong'

Robert Rodriguez said:
"Jim would rather put something in a drawer and not do it at all than do it incorrectly with the wrong director," says Rodriguez. "I saw his original drawings and they took my breath away. The main character had porcelain arms and huge manga eyes, and I thought, Wow, he's going full manga with this. And he trusted me with the version that was in his head, and he said: if you fix the script for me, you can direct. So a month later I come back and say: here you go, free of charge. And he said: all right, it's yours."

Also, China got some amazing posters for this movie. Better than anything they released here.

hINhRkE.jpg

Last edited:

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017

Completely agreed. I think CM will be great even by MCU standards, but Alita was something new and a lot of fun. Unfortunately, based on the Captain Marvel threads people think that opinion is just trolling.

Oh well, I'll just keep sadly rewatching Speed Racer, Warcraft, John Carter, Alita, and Solo.

I'm too ashamed to include Jupiter Ascending in my list lol

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, except for anything related to Hugo, fuck him. I wish they'd make him a more enjoyable character and less of an asshole.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So at this point was this movie a bomba or not?

Also Im glad that I was not the only one who thought that Yugo was a terrible love interest

Bossun

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Just saw the movie and I was very pleasantly surprised. I know the original source well and I was taken aback by how faithful it is to the manga so the plot didn't feel bad to me. It was a bit corny in the beginning but still following the manga quite nicely while incorporating some last order stuff. Hope there is a sequel.

I'm back to rereading the manga!

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, was thst BraveHeart-esque speech that Alita did in the bar in the manga?

Because it was terrible (the fight was cool)

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this yesterday - wow! Loved it way more than I thought I would. Went in with fairly low expectations and honestly had a blast with this thing. Hope we get a sequel! I was honestly expecting 20-30 more minutes of movie....was super bummed when the credits rolled!

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I realize that, but I don't know, it kinda felt out of place to me, don't know why

I think in that part, did they really acknowledge thst Gruwishka was giving them all problems? I feel like it was just brought up like "no one can best him!" when it was more an Alita issue, nd they like just found out who had been killing the women.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, except for anything related to Hugo, fuck him. I wish they'd make him a more enjoyable character and less of an asshole.
I picked up the first two volumes of the manga (nothing post-movie) after watching the film, and imo he's even more of an asshole in the manga. He's not as involved, but he basically doesn't really feel guilty for his profession at all.