• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
(Stop! If you're looking for the spoiler thread, go HERE.)

EhN8IOt.jpg

Alita: Battle Angel Official ResetEra Thread
Official Site | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram

Release Dates
UK: February 6th, 2018
US: February 14th, 2018
China: February 22nd, 2018
Check IMDB for more release dates.

Synopsis
From visionary filmmakers James Cameron (AVATAR) and Robert Rodriguez (SIN CITY), comes ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL, an epic adventure of hope and empowerment. When Alita (Rosa Salazar) awakens with no memory of who she is in a future world she does not recognize, she is taken in by Ido (Christoph Waltz), a compassionate doctor who realizes that somewhere in this abandoned cyborg shell is the heart and soul of a young woman with an extraordinary past. As Alita learns to navigate her new life and the treacherous streets of Iron City, Ido tries to shield her from her mysterious history while her street-smart new friend Hugo (Keean Johnson) offers instead to help trigger her memories. But it is only when the deadly and corrupt forces that run the city come after Alita that she discovers a clue to her past – she has unique fighting abilities that those in power will stop at nothing to control. If she can stay out of their grasp, she could be the key to saving her friends, her family and the world she's grown to love.

Directed By Robert Rodriguez

Screenplay By James Cameron & Laeta Kalogridis

Based on the Manga Series Gunnm By Yukito Kishiro

Produced By James Cameron & Jon Landau

Cast of Characters
zhh1TUh.jpg

Rosa Salazar as Alita

jHVWqR3.jpg

Christoph Waltz as Dr. Dyson Ido

EabPUcR.jpg

Mahershala Ali as Vector

ITayDRF.jpg

Jennifer Connelly as Chiren

tfyS9yl.jpg

Ed Skrein as Zapan

k0MDF7o.jpg

Keean Johnson as Hugo

PHeMv3p.jpg

Eiza Gonzalez as Nyssiana

Trailers

Teaser Trailer - published December 2017.
Official Trailer - published July 2018.
"Battle Ready" Trailer - published November 2018.
"Rise" International Trailer - published December 2018.

Clips & Featurettes
"Ambush Alley" Clip
"Mirror Punch" Clip
"Underworld" Clip
"Best View In Town" Clip
"I'm A Warrior" Clip
"Motorball" Clip

"Two Visionaries, One Vision" Featurette
"The Making of Alita" Featurette
"Behind the Scenes with WETA" Featurette
"Who Is Alita?" Featurette
"A Cinematic Experience" Featurette
"Yukito Kishiro" Featurette
"The Music of Alita" Featurette
"Tilly's Miracle: Open Bionics" Featurette

Music
93WLEv1.png

Reviews

"Alita: Battle Angel is Robert Rodriguez's best film in many years. It's an ambitious, impressive, visually spectacular production with great performances that make its strange world seem real."
-William Bibbiani, IGN

"Salazar, who plays this big-eyed, cyber-bodied version of herself through motion capture, is such a magnetic, sympathetic presence, that even through that layer of digitization she feels like an irrepressibly organic presence."
-Emily Yoshida, New York Magazine (Vulture)

"Not without flaws, but nothing to get too worked up about, Alita: Battle Angel is cynicism-free, first-class popcorn entertainment spearheaded by a knockout performance from Salazar. "
-Martyn Conterio, CineVue

"Best enjoyed for the fun, slick action and the astonishing, super-expressive realisation of Alita herself, because elsewhere it's cyberpunk business as usual, marred by some sloppy plotting."
-Dan Jolin, Empire

"While not exactly a misfire, Rodriguez and Cameron's joint effort lacks the zing and originality of their best individual work."
-Stephen Dalton, The Hollywood Reporter

"Impressive VFX and bursts of action can't mask the fact that this is a tonally confused start for a sci-fi franchise hopeful, made up of scrap parts you've seen put to better use elsewhere"
-Matt Maytum, Total Film

FAQ

***COMING SOON***

Tickets
http://www.alitatickets.com/

LaWcLf6.jpg

NOTE: Use spoiler tags for all plot discussion of the movie, as well as the anime/manga, in this thread.

Thanks to kurahador for the thread title suggestion.

Last edited:

Gen X

Oct 31, 2017
New Zealand
I have a funny feeling this will be like Avatar for me, an enjoyable viewing the first time, but not ideal for a repeat viewing. Keen to go see it.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely watching this if not just for pure entertainment value and visual spectacle.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Saw it the other day. I wish I liked it more but the script is really awful in places. Great visuals and Rosa Salazar did a solid job, but it just felt really soulless and weirdly generic to me. There are tons of weird tonal choices, the romance is dogshit and the ending made me laugh out loud.

The 3D is pretty good if anyone is interested.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last Thursday, and seeing it again tonight. Excellent film. Very faithful to the manga, amazing action, best 3D since Avatar, and Alita is totally convincing and lovable.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so ready for this. Should buy my IMAX 3D ticket soon.

[edit] Finally bought my ticket. It just took some contemplating cause of the $30 price tag lol.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Off to see it tonight. Mate of mine who has very similar taste to me but no knowledge of the manga saw it last night and said he absolutely loves it. He usually avoids 3D but as it was the only showing he was likely to be able to make he took the plunge and said it was incredible.

He'd seen the mixed reviews beforehand and asked me what to expect, and afterwards said that his expectations were definitely helped by what I told him. These are in no way spoilers but I'll put them in tags anyway:

I told him that if it's as faithful to the books as it appears then to expect a small story in a big world, not to expect big questions to be answered or huge revelations to be made, and to expect the sort of story that shows the first formative steps of the main character

tsmoreau

Oct 27, 2017
So love that this is the thread title you went with

I remember seeing it in the other thread and thinking "No one is going to do better than that'

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
I feel complaints with the movie would also largely apply to the manga. So since I very much enjoyed the manga, I am sure I will this too. As far as adaptions go, this seems to set a new bar.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Good. You picked the right OT title.

I'm considering going to see this for my birthday in the 14th.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't expecting to like this but I really did! Very fun watch.

It felt all very earnest... they weren't afraid to go in at all whether it was silly stuff or the violence.

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight. I had fun. A few problems here and there in the last act, but I plan to see it again with the SO when it opens wide.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Saw Alita and loved it. So did the fiancé and the kids. RR was there and had some really cool stories about production and James Cameron. Said he was aware of the big eye backlash but that it was his and Cameron's vision for the movie and feels like when people actually watch it they will understand.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
Holy hell, I thought that this was going to stay within 30% lol.
Can this reach 70% on rotten?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
After 70 review it'll probably end up between 55-60. That's my guess.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
No offense to you guys celebrating the film's fresh status, i get hoping for a good score when you're anticipating a film, but is it really so important whether it is 1-2% in the fresh or the rotten? The film is already completed, it is what it is and you'll either enjoy it or won't. Its quality doesn't go up or down in tandem with its alternating tomatometer status. It's also ok to like or even love movies that have a rotten TM, while understanding why critical reception was mediocre or worse.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
No offense to you guys celebrating the film's fresh status, i get hoping for a good score when you're anticipating a film, but is it really so important whether it is 1-2% in the fresh or the rotten? The film is already completed, it is what it is and you'll either enjoy it or won't. Its quality doesn't go up or down in tandem with its alternating tomatometer status. It's also ok to like or even love movies that have a rotten TM, while understanding why critical reception was mediocre or worse.
That colour being red or green could have some impact on its domestic box office performance (not so relevant overseas), because a film like this without a built in fanbase needs any help it can get, also sometimes RT score is associated with films on ticket booking platforms/apps.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about keeping the score in fresh status since that can affect it's box office numbers. The 1 or 2 percent can be that difference. I do not think it will do great in the US but every little bit helps. Fresh status plus good word of mouth could give it some legs.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Watched it. Was a lot of fun. Beautiful visuals. The anime eyes still bothered me though. Easily one of the best Hollywood manga adaptation I've seen. I know that's a pretty low bar. Lol.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I enjoyed the first two acts every much. And then.., the third acts starts. What the film ended on was a third act that was baffling, frustrating and at one point laugh out loud funny.

I was really into the film but, sadly, it totally blew the ending and by the time the song was playing at the end the whole thing felt like a missed opportunity.

Yet another Hollywood film that leaves it's story unfinished in the hope that it could be completed in sequels that they are almost certainly never going to make.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
I've been really compelled to see this movie from the start for whatever reason. Getting big underrated gem vibes and as someone who was there in the theater for Speed Racer, Dredd, and John Carter, I'm excited.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the anime in my younger days and somewhat remember the story. I am not as connected to this as I was with Ghost in the Shell. It seems this is definitely worth seeing in theaters and won't kick me in the groin bad like the American version of GITS did...

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night in ATX. Pretty solid - even though the acting feels a bit stilted. Alita CG is pretty great, except when she smiles and you get to see her little tiny teeth. Audience was pretty into it, and there was some fun parts that got my audience to cheer out loud. I rated it 3.5/5 on my Letterboxd.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
just got back

granted, pacing is an issue, and of course it's a little hammy and hokey dialogue wise in places... but WOW, what a spectacle

the level of effect work on alita herself is unmatched, it really is. i just couldn't take my eyes off her. performance capture and voice work additionally is next level (sorry thanos, and sorry caesar) also, what on earth is avatar 2 going to look like in 22 months time?!)). she's an absolute pleasure from the second she wakes up to the closing shot. a complete success

yeah, the ending is an issue. bizarre they went with that final 60 seconds... but 24 hours from now i know i'll be over it, so who cares

we don't get proper live action anime, and big screen cyberpunk is hit and miss. alita is the real deal and the full load... no compromises

i say enjoy it and embrace it because it's big, has heart, and looks gorgeous

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Cool. I'm in no matter what for the tech showcase. Did you see it in 3D?

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I'm in no matter what for the tech showcase. Did you see it in 3D?
I saw it 3D. Maybe not Avatar level of engrossing, but I felt it added a bit to the experience. The depth in its 3D was what you'd expect in action scenes, and I feel I lost the effect in the fast movement of the Motorball scenes.