• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Just got back from watching this with 3 of my friends. We all loved it. A worthy adaptation. We saw it in 2D, as none of us can't be bothered with 3D. Alita really felt like a character with heart and the world felt alive. Motorball sequences were amazing. The hunter warriors and "baddies" were all really well done and cool. The movie deserves a large audience, and it would be great to see more in the future.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to see the BoxOfficeMojo numbers. So far only South Korea is up, but there's several other countries that officially had it showing this week.

Apr 19, 2018
Does the movie really end in such a cliffhanger fashion -- or with the promise of future movies -- that it ends up being detrimental to the story itself?

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
Does the movie really end in such a cliffhanger fashion -- or with the promise of future movies -- that it ends up being detrimental to the story itself?
For me, it ended at the point where I was definitely wanting more. "Yoooo let's fucking goooo," is where my head space was at, only to then get the title card & credits.

Oct 26, 2017

I think there's two answers to that. I can say, as objectively as it's possible for me to be, that I can understand people new to this world may leave it wanting more (or feeling like it ended prematurely, even - despite a fairly packed two hour run time) and that there's absolutely the impression that a new chapter in the story is about to start as the credits roll. Conversely, as a big fan of the manga, I knew going into it roughly how much material this two hour film would cover, I knew there were a few important things that need to be mentioned at this point in the story but which won't be relevant until way down the line, and obviously knowing what happens after the credits roll helps.

That said the three people I went with had never read the manga and absolutely adored it, start to finish.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
I took some time to digest the movie and to figure how much I really liked it after the initial reaction... and I got this feeling I really want to see it again pretty soon.

It is really crammed with various plots, silly in places, and the romance is hokey. But I really liked it, and the movie left me with just a really nice feeling. Rosa Salazar is super likeable as Alita, and same with Waltz as her foster father. The movie obviously looks insanely good as a whole but the action scenes were also well directed and super easy to follow despite some of them having like a dozen weird cyborgs going at each other at 100 miles per hour... I could make out what was happening every second.l

It just felt like a really throwback spectacle, and a honest, non-cynical experience as a whole despite being a dark cyberpunk thing with body horror and all. Really hope the movie does well despite all that doom and gloom talk about it.

Oct 26, 2017
The movie obviously looks insanely good as a whole but the action scenes were also well directed and super easy to follow despite some of them having like a dozen weird cyborgs going at each other at 100 miles per hour... I could make out what was happening every second.

This was one of my big hopes for the film the moment it looked like it was actually going to get made - the original author's art managed to capture the motion of Alita's fighting style really well in static 2D images, and I hoped so much that they'd be able to capture that in motion. They absolutely nailed it.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I enjoyed the first two acts every much. And then.., the third acts starts. What the film ended on was a third act that was baffling, frustrating and at one point laugh out loud funny.

I was really into the film but, sadly, it totally blew the ending and by the time the song was playing at the end the whole thing felt like a missed opportunity.

Yet another Hollywood film that leaves it's story unfinished in the hope that it could be completed in sequels that they are almost certainly never going to make.
They cast a serious villain and the budget is low. If this does well ww we could easily see a sequel.

People should see this for the 3D alone. I forget what we'll done 3D looks like it's been so long since someone took it seriously.

No. Anyone that says that isn't being honest that they just wanted more and didn't get it. Even if you gave* the movie an extra hour it couldn't wrap up the cliffhanger. The movie establishes alita and the world. It's a great ride but isn't all contained. Story threads are resolved and over arching threads are left open. Even if there is a sequel idk if it would all be wrapped up in reference to what people are complaining about.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
The movie was shot with 3D cameras and had James Cameron involved sharing the lessons he learned from Avatar.

I think that should be enough to convince people that 3D is the way the film was meant to be experienced.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this the first time a movie swung from so far down in 35% range to fresh category? Normally movies that start at that range tend to stay there.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Is it Avatar-style depth 3D or stuff-coming-at-you 3D?
I haven't seen it yet but I assume like most 3D films, it's like 98% depth. Stuff coming out at you is a rare effect/gimmick just due to it being harder to focus your eyes on and not being a common directorial decision in films, unless they specifically are trying to show off a 3D effect. That being said, judging by the trailer, I could tell that there are at least some action scenes that seem to have stuff coming at you, but again, the main effect of 3D will always be the depth. It's just that with a film shot in 3D compared to a conversion, the depth will appear more convincing for live action.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Watched it yesterday..its an awesome movie. The action are great and the cg are impressive. But its different tone than the manga which is darker. The movie is a bit too clean but still great looking. Reminds me a lot with Speed Racer movie.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
The budget is "low"?

Did you watch the film?

That's at least $175m to $200m worth of VFX on screen. The protagonist is almost entirely a photo realistic VFX creation!!!
it's low compared to what Cameron wanted to do. I heard the budget was 140k. I think this could really blow up overseas.

Edit: I stand corrected it's 200 million. Fuck :(

Edit 2: ok he said it was 150 million that's probably where I got it from.

Is it Avatar-style depth 3D or stuff-coming-at-you 3D?
Both

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
We know the budget is sub-$170m. RR himself said that Cameron said he'd need 2-3x the budget for his own version - which would have also been an hour+ longer.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
We know the budget is sub-$170m. RR himself said that Cameron said he'd need 2-3x the budget for his own version - which would have also been an hour+ longer.
Rodriguez also said he didn't add to the script. All he did was edit existing scenes down and combine characters. He said the original script was 160 pages with 600 pages of notes and he edited it down to 120 pages. He sent it off the Cameron for approval and Cameron got really dismayed and said this will probably suck but was surprised with how much he liked the shortened script. RR said he didn't remove any major story beat from the Cameron script.

RR also said he wants to make a sequel if the studio will let him.(kindof obvious but to me that's good news bc I loved it)

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Rodriguez also said he didn't add to the script. All he did was edit existing scenes down and combine characters. He said the original script was 160 pages with 600 pages of notes and he edited it down to 120 pages. He sent it off the Cameron for approval and Cameron got really dismayed and said this will probably suck but was surprised with how much he liked the shortened script. RR said he didn't remove any major story beat from the Cameron script.

RR also said he wants to make a sequel if the studio will let him.(kindof obvious but to me that's good news bc I loved it)
Nah the original script was 180+ pages. And he obviously cut out quite a bit.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished
My siblings all loved it, I like it
I think 7.5~8/10 from me
Definitely the 1st good anime movie done by Hollywood
Gonna check out the manga

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
That colour being red or green could have some impact on its domestic box office performance (not so relevant overseas), because a film like this without a built in fanbase needs any help it can get, also sometimes RT score is associated with films on ticket booking platforms/apps.

It's all about keeping the score in fresh status since that can affect it's box office numbers. The 1 or 2 percent can be that difference. I do not think it will do great in the US but every little bit helps. Fresh status plus good word of mouth could give it some legs.

That's fair, but i'm not fully convinced that the color alone has that much sway over people, when the meter is only 1-2% from crossing over.

Feb 10, 2018
Pretty good, simple story, with shallow character development but the story is good and the action + effects are quite breathtaking.

I honestly think videogames will be very close to this in about 10years, alitas skin shader does not look that much better then UE4 tech demos.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the movie is better than the reviews but there's no doubt it could (and should) have been better.

They really should have kept to a focused main story arc throughout the whole film though. It feels like it's constantly altering between different ones and the end result is no story arc is executed well.

But at least it's fun, has amazing action scenes, looks great and Alita is lovable. Hope the film does well.

BioFan

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched it and I loved it....thought I want to spread the word.
I think it's the best Anime/Manga movie adaptation ever.

I never watched the manga but I watched the anime...the movie is miles better than the anime. I have to check out the manga next.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. It was very typical, clichéd and generic, but done very competently, with some great special effects and cool fight scenes. Hope it does well enough to warrant a sequel.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Well then he's a liar because he said those words right in front of me.
Landau: And Robert did that on his own. He didn't say, "Put a deal in place for me to be the director." He just went and did it. And that speaks volumes. And we read what he did with Jim's 180-page script, and nothing was missing. And that told us that he understood what was important thematically. A lot of people talk about plot, Robert held onto the themes that were so important.

Rodriguez: In fact, Jim told me he would play a game with himself while reading the script. He would be coming up on a part of the movie that he liked and would say to himself, I bet that's cut out, and he would love that it wasn't cut. The stuff that I thought he would miss the most, I made sure to keep in there.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi_uPzYg6_gAhUCfSsKHSHUB-IQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https://www.businessinsider.com/robert-rodriguez-and-jon-landau-on-the-making-of-alita-battle-angel-2018-4&psig=AOvVaw2V8z2sYNNOLfhRm3dGlyg0&ust=1549814671518275

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the agrument. Gatti is saying that RR didn't add to the script only cut what was currently in the script. Which seems legit.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the agrument. Gatti is saying that RR didn't add to the script only cut what was currently in the script. Which seems legit.
Not an argument at all. But he's saying Cameron's script was 160 pages, when it was 180 pages. Basically, the movie changed a lot during RR's edit. You don't lose an hour out of a movie without losing a lot.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
OK then.

Good:
Alita, she always worked for me.
The direction
The 3D

The bad:
Script
Set design
Production design
Ending
Lack of threat

Also dear Hollywood

ThunderousAggressiveGoral-size_restricted.gif

STOP GETTING CYBERPUNK WRONG

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it yesterday and loved it. They dumbed down/toned down some things compared to manga (Mankaku in particular ended up being much less tragic than in manga), but otherwise it feels like Cameron and Rodrigez really gave a fuck about being faithful to the source. Alita's a super likable lead, action looks fantastic, the whole thing is just beautiful. Haven't enjoyed a blockbuster so much for a very very long time. Will probably go watch it again tomorrow.

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
Let's start with the got us all talking about this film in the first place, Alitia. For the most part, she is a triumph as a character. You really feel for the character, very naive to the world yet you see a character come to understand who and what she is. Some weird smiling to one side, it's quite incredible what the animators achieved.

Which leads into the CG. The CG is pretty incredible it has to be said. A level and above an average Marvel movie. Does it have the strongest set pieces, no but did it give glimpses to what's in store for the franchise if given half a chance. The machine and androids are impeccably done. There's a great world that has huge potential to built here.

The script is a bit ropey, well quite abit actually. Far too much emphasis on Alitia's love interest for one, Just wasn't feel that plot line at all. Mahershala Ali is wasted, when you have an incredible actor onboard and hardy give him anything to work with is a disappointment. The relationship between Alitia and Edo was probably the strongest part character wise.

The film reminded me a mix of Tron 3 and Metal Gear Revenegnce. It has these huge spectacles but they don't really go anywhere. You get glimpses of say a war which I was desperate to see more of. Yet we get scenes involving skating, while well done, were just dull.

The potential for a franchise is strong, it's a good starting point if a little unforgettable for a first movie but I welcome more of Alitia.

7/10

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

That's not the panel I was at. I reconfirmed with my fiancé we both heard 160 so maybe he mis spoke?

Not an argument at all. But he's saying Cameron's script was 160 pages, when it was 180 pages. Basically, the movie changed a lot during RR's edit. You don't lose an hour out of a movie without losing a lot.
He said a lot of what he cut out was action and fighting. For example he said the bar fight alone was 12 pages of script. He also said Cameron told him every single one of his favorite scenes are still in the movie an it's just a tighter experience. Idk I mean RR could just be hyping it up but do you really think Cameron would attach his name to a script he wasn't happy with?

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Just got back.

You can tell Rodriguez chopped a lot out. This film is a string of payoffs with no set up. Characters, character relationships and just random lines of dialogue make no sense and have no impact because the set up isn't there. The film isn't allowed to take its time.

And yeah, the love interest dude should've been axed entirely and the relationship focus should've been on Ido and Alita.

That said, as a character - performance wise and vfx wise, Alita is really great. Rosa's performance is great. The 3D adds to the film, without being best in class.

There are certain flashback moments that -visually speaking, look fucking awesome.

The later action scenes are really well directed and shot and just a joy to watch on screen. The fight choreography of Alita is pretty awesome too. But there is some very Spy Kids Rodriguez framing choices going on throughout this film. And some very kid-focused, self-aware cheese moments.

The score is entirely forgettable.

The film is definitely worth seeing in 3D. It's fun and something pretty impressive to behold. It's just frustrating that we're shown the cut threads of what was obviously a very meaty film that now just feels threadbare.