• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the movie, but I wanna see more as it felt it skipped over stuff that could have been more explored.

I dno if this could have been 2 movies but I enjoyed it enough to wanna see more.

ps3ud0 8)

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I just had to Google as I was trying hard to figure out who played Nova, he looked like Jim Cameron in a wig....
That seems pointless so did the other cameo

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Watching this on Tuesday with my girlfriend. We are both pretty excited for it, we were kinda down on it initially but the positive impressions and newer trailers sold us on it

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
ANNcast had pretty glowing reactions to it, which put me on the hype train. Looking forward to seeing it.

Oct 28, 2017
"Does it bother you, that I'm not completely human?" "You are the most human girl I've ever met."

Yea, that's the kind of cliched dialog you can write in your sleep.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, but couldn't get over of how out of place Alita feels when she's interacting with human characters.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Just got back.

You can tell Rodriguez chopped a lot out. This film is a string of payoffs with no set up. Characters, character relationships and just random lines of dialogue make no sense and have no impact because the set up isn't there. The film isn't allowed to take its time.

And yeah, the love interest dude should've been axed entirely and the relationship focus should've been on Ido and Alita.

That said, as a character - performance wise and vfx wise, Alita is really great. Rosa's performance is great. The 3D adds to the film, without being best in class.

There are certain flashback moments that -visually speaking, look fucking awesome.

The later action scenes are really well directed and shot and just a joy to watch on screen. The fight choreography of Alita is pretty awesome too. But there is some very Spy Kids Rodriguez framing choices going on throughout this film. And some very kid-focused, self-aware cheese moments.

The score is entirely forgettable.

The film is definitely worth seeing in 3D. It's fun and something pretty impressive to behold. It's just frustrating that we're shown the cut threads of what was obviously a very meaty film that now just feels threadbare.
Totally disagree about there being tons of payoffs with no setup. Seems like you're kindof pulling that out of thin air. Please list specifics where you see threads coming from nowhere and random lines of dialogue. I can't even think of one random line of dialogue that didn't lead somewhere in the movie.

"Does it bother you, that I'm not completely human?" "You are the most human girl I've ever met."

Seemed perfectly natural for teenagers to be saying that.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Totally disagree about there being tons of payoffs with no setup. Seems like you're kindof pulling that out of thin air. Please list specifics where you see threads coming from nowhere and random lines of dialogue. I can't even think of one random line of dialogue that didn't lead somewhere in the movie.

Seemed perfectly natural for teenagers to be saying that.
Literally the line they keep advertising in the film "I do not stand by in the presence of evil" comes out of absolutely nowhere and is super awkward because of it.

Her complete attitude shift into badass fire-spitting in the bar also comes out of nowhere.

Marking herself with that random dog's blood was fucking weird when she had seen it (and admittedly saved it) once before. The action itself made no sense in context of who she's shown to be up until that point, but felt like a payoff to something cut.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Literally the line they keep advertising in the film "I do not stand by in the presence of evil" comes out of absolutely nowhere and is super awkward because of it.

Her complete attitude shift into badass fire-spitting in the bar also comes out of nowhere.

Marking herself with that random dog's blood was fucking weird when she had seen it (and admittedly saved it) once before. The action itself made no sense in context of who she's shown to be up until that point, but felt like a payoff to something cut.

I agree with this, although this discussion should probably be in the spoiler thread.

I enjoyed the film a lot, but didn't think it was special in any way. Things would be very different if Cameron made this instead of Avatar in 2009. I can see how this can be 3 hrs long, there is enough plot here for a 2 parter. It could easily have blown up the same way as Avatar and we would have been looking at potentially 5 Alita movies.

Now though, it doesn't feel fresh at the tail end of a decade of YA dystopian movies. A lot of the ideas might have originated from the manga, but we have seen them before on screen. It reminds me a bit of John Carter, which wasn't actually terrible but also felt it came out a bit late, all the ideas in the source material have already been taken by others.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I've been waiting for this film to come out for years as I'm a big fan of the anime OVA that I've owned on VHS since I was a kid. I'm not too familiar with the original manga, but the film is pretty much spot on with its adaption from what I know by osmosis. My local cinema doesn't have many screenings per day though, as it's having to compete with The Lego Movie 2 and How To Train Your Dragon 3. My local cinema was giving out free posters too, so I got one to frame later.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018

[
shes shown as awkwardly innocent several times before. She knows she's a soldier at that point and is trying to inspire those people (stupidly) to fight with her. It wasn't a shift at all she was left with no choice after being denied that body she found. She also has repressed memories she says only come out in life threatening circumstances which is why she went there as well. She wanted combat. Literally says that a few minutes before entering. They also plainly discuss her fighting technique and who she was plainly minutes before that bar fight. The action itself made perfect sense when the movie shows her instinctively fighting twice before then. And she had major memories come back just before that fight of training and other things.

Seemed pretty normal to me.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK

The war paint is in every ad and poster and then you find out what it is......

He has not written a good script since Strange Days if you ask me

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It has problems, but I enjoyed it. The SFX on Alita are quite beautiful. The big eyes really help avoid uncanny valley. Too bad a bunch of the other robots looked worse than Bruce Banner using the Hulkbuster with it's top open.

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
HBO Screening Room sitdown with Rosa and Robert with a clip of Alita finding her new body.

And Comic Book Resources got an interview with Alita creator Yukito Kishiro, where he talks a little about his inspirations and what it's like to see his creation turned into a major Hollywood blockbuster.

CBR: Battle Angel Alita Creator Yukito Kishiro Is 'Super-Honored' By the Film

And a new piece of Alita artwork from Kishiro inspired by the film's visual style.

Z5sJ1ct.jpg

Source: Kodansha Comics USA

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
Watched an interview where he explained the real reason behind retitling it Alita: Battle Angel, instead of Battle Angel Alita.

It was in preparation for potential sequels. The next film would have been called Alita: Fallen Angel.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Inviting friends for when I go... I got one "not interested" and one "lemme check reviews...." Still waiting to hear back :/

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I mainly want to see this because my boy Christoph Waltz is in it, It's been a while since I've seen him in something.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably too early to ask, but should I go with IMAX 3d, Dolby 3D, Real D 3D?

Prior to looking up showtimes for this movie, I didn't even realize there were three different methods of displaying 3D.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the movie, but I wanna see more as it felt it skipped over stuff that could have been more explored.

I dno if this could have been 2 movies but I enjoyed it enough to wanna see more.

ps3ud0 8)
Excellent. I've loved the trailers. Really hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

HBO Screening Room sitdown with Rosa and Robert with a clip of Alita finding her new body.

And Comic Book Resources got an interview with Alita creator Yukito Kishiro, where he talks a little about his inspirations and what it's like to see his creation turned into a major Hollywood blockbuster.

CBR: Battle Angel Alita Creator Yukito Kishiro Is 'Super-Honored' By the Film

And a new piece of Alita artwork from Kishiro inspired by the film's visual style.

Z5sJ1ct.jpg

Source: Kodansha Comics USA

Really cool. Love that artwork too.