• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Just got back from watching it in IMAX, had an absolute blast. The effects are stunning and the 3D is fantastic, it's an awesome movie.

If the visuals are anything to go by, the Avatar sequels are going to be eye melting.

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
Yeah, i thought this was pretty cool. Really enjoyed it. The FX is seriously rad. Want to see it a second time in 3d, perhaps IMAX.

Wondering if I should watch the anime? Doubt there will be a sequel, so would like to know how the story concludes.

OP
OP
Old Man Spike

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
Yeah, i thought this was pretty cool. Really enjoyed it. The FX is seriously rad. Want to see it a second time in 3d, perhaps IMAX.

Wondering if I should watch the anime? Doubt there will be a sequel, so would like to know how the story concludes.
I haven't seen Alita yet, won't be able to until the weekend, but I owned the anime and it was a one-and-done OAV and probably covers less material than this movie. You'd have to read the manga.

Last edited:

Murderopolis

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2019
I haven't seen Alita yet, won't be able to until the weekend, but I owned the anime and it was a one-and-done OAV and probably covers less material than this movie. You'd have to read the manga.

Oh wows, I didn't realise it was just an OAV. Assumed it was a long ass series. I might just order the manga in that case.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Think I'm gonna dip into the manga before I see this on Sunday, just so I can appreciate any nods they make to the source material.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Couple of guys at work saw it yesterday (Dolby 3D) and they freaked over it, and they hate, hate Avatar.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the dudes I went to see it with is a casual movie goer and fucking loved it lol.

He was pissed at the idea it might bomb and he not get any sequels.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
One of the dudes I went to see it with is a casual movie goer and fucking loved it lol.

He was pissed at the idea it might bomb and he not get any sequels.

I was really surprised the guys liked it because I'm sure they were ready to jump on it for their hate of Avatar. Both said they are seeing it again this week. I gotta see it tomorrow.

Super curious to see if WOM catches fire this weekend.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Dialog is not Cameron's strong suit but he's rock solid in other areas. Avatar is better written than 99% of blockbusters

How in the fucking world can anyone say this? Avatar is one of the most hackneyed, cliche-ridden, by-the-numbers scripts imaginable. Even people who love the movie often admit that. It's without question Cameron's worst script by a wide, wide margin, and script is not his strong point to begin with. Is it better than anything Dave Goyer could ever write? Sure, but what is that saying? 99% my ass.

Alita has a similar problem in the sense that it's too easy to know exactly what the next line is going to be if you just assume the most rote, cliched response straight out of a Screenwriting 101 classroom. That is when it's not pulling big payoff lines out of thin air with no story or character-driven precedent. It's not bad, but Rodriguez isn't a strong enough director to paper over the shortcomings of the screenplay on the fly, and the massive focus on the Alita/Hugo relationship is a mistake throughout.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
Anyone that has seen this, how bad is it for kids? Typical Marvel type action and violence or worse?

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone that has seen this, how bad is it for kids? Typical Marvel type action and violence or worse?

The violence was more intense than I figured with the rating, maybe because the cyborgs bleed blue fluid and not red blood and they look robot-like. Also people get killed in almost every fight and there's stuff like severed heads and organ-harvesting murder cyborgs. You wouldn't see me in a theater with anyone under 12 for sure, but maybe kids these days desensitized...

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to the IMAX 3D showing this Saturday. Expecting a fun action movie with great visuals.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
The violence was more intense than I figured with the rating, maybe because the cyborgs bleed blue fluid and not red blood and they look robot-like. Also people get killed in almost every fight and there's stuff like severed heads and organ-harvesting murder cyborgs. You wouldn't see me in a theater with anyone under 12 for sure, but maybe kids these days desensitized...

Thanks. It seemed like this could go either way. Definitely keeping my daughter away from it.

ncsoft

Dec 11, 2017
Couple of guys at work saw it yesterday (Dolby 3D) and they freaked over it, and they hate, hate Avatar.
I hope at some point in the not too distant future, Avatar will somehow follow the path of Titanic and become less hated, I can hardly find a worse case of injustice in this century in terms of perception of a movie.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Just finished the movie and watching the bonus interview. Film was good considering it's an manga/anime adaption. My issue is that a lot of the dialogue was stilted, like before scene transitions, the characters would have to end it with some simple sentence or quips like whether it's talking about how Alita is old, how the orange was good, or making some remark after a fight. Someone also mentioned that the fights felt unearned, totally felt that way watching it, the bar fight, while great, the reason for it felt strange as heck as someone mentioned. My biggest beef was that they made Hugo seem like a good guy. Was frustrating watching Hugo be played as this good but flawed character when he's a piece of crap. The love interest portion made that more intolerable for me. Motorball I felt was unneeded and hurt the movie a bit, should have cut that and focused more on Grewishka's and Hugo's backstory. Speaking of Grewishka, he wasn't terrifying at all and I was taking out because of that, maybe with an R-rating they could have made him more terrifying, but I didn't like him here.

Otherwise the film wasn't bad, I got use to the eyes really quickly, film looked great aside from some Hunter-Warriors, will read the manga again and see the film to see what they skipped over and what they added.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Grewishka, he wasn't terrifying at all and I was taking out because of that, maybe with an R-rating they could have made him more terrifying, but I didn't like him here.
Definitely would've been if they based him on the brain-slurping monstrosity Makaku from the manga both the movie and anime only partially derived him from anyway.
I didn't really mind Hugo in the original manga, but there's just something about the way they portray him in this movie that annoy me so much. That Hugo is changed into a typical white-boy hunk is probably it, hahaha.
Ah. Other than his blandness, I recall a lot of reviews complaining about his acting as well.

Last edited:

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Definitely would've been if they based him on the brain-slurping monstrosity Makaku from the manga both the movie and anime only partially derived him from anyway.
I think that was it, like I was expecting Makaku/Grewishka to be this imposing terrifying being that slurps brains as you said, but instead we got someone who wouldn't be out of place for even Motorball.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That was a pretty bad movie. Love interest dude was the worst. I actually liked Alita herself, but everyone else was pretty bad. Even Waltz turned in a pretty damn mediocre performance.

It felt like it was missing a core. Like, it was a lot of pieces and tiny threads that weren't really held together by anything. It just moved along scene to scene without much reason.

The next film would have been called Alita: Fallen Angel.

You mean it will be, right? Right?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I hope at some point in the not too distant future, Avatar will somehow follow the path of Titanic and become less hated, I can hardly find a worse case of injustice in this century in terms of perception of a movie.
A little hyperbolic, don't you think?

Seems like being the highest grossing movie of all time despite it's flaws should be enough of a consolation prize for Avatar fanboys. I think the bigger injustices are when a great movie has no one watch it than when a mediocre film is able to get every movie-going person to at least give it a shot for it's production value, even if they walk away not impressed with the characters and story.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Got my tickets for Saturday... The assigned seating was really empty a day ago, but looks like it actually started to pick up today. Still hoping it does well!

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That was a pretty bad movie. Love interest dude was the worst. I actually liked Alita herself, but everyone else was pretty bad. Even Waltz turned in a pretty damn mediocre performance.

It felt like it was missing a core. Like, it was a lot of pieces and tiny threads that weren't really held together by anything. It just moved along scene to scene without much reason.

You mean it will be, right? Right?

Waltz is very inconsistent, he's mesmerizing in Tarantino films or whenever he's allowed to lean into his German roots, when he's not he just seems like a bad actor.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I got a notification saying preview showings were yesterday and it looks like there's showings tonight as well, bizarre.

Looks like my $4 T-Mobile promo actually brings a $18 IMAX 3D ticket down to $4, so I'll probably catch a Thursday night showing.

Oct 26, 2017
Opened the link and there's a jab about Alita's eyes in the first thirty seconds. Skipped ahead to the end, and there's another eye jab in the last thirty seconds. Closed the link.

Did they at least enjoy it?

Yeah they did. Said there were a few issues holding it back from greatness but they really enjoyed it, the action's great etc. But yeah eye whining peppered throughout.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
Opened the link and there's a jab about Alita's eyes in the first thirty seconds. Skipped ahead to the end, and there's another eye jab in the last thirty seconds. Closed the link.

Did they at least enjoy it?

yeah, they were full of praise

it did disappoint me also that they spent so much talking about the eyes... the film itself couldn't care less about what the inhabitants of the city look like. trust me, there's people, cyborgs, etc, that look WAY weirder than alita. in fact, she looks quite normal compared to others

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it today. Holy crap that was amazing. So much action! Such beautiful scenery and set design and especially character design. Did I mention the action was amazing? Because it was really well done - it was so... kinetic.

Also Alita was a total badass. I need a sequel.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So this is expected to bomb? A real shame because I absolutely loved it.