• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Cody and Dustin are amazing talkers who could build a amazing feud but they simply wont have the platform to do that without TV yet.

Im sure the match will be fine, but those 2 could do a much better build if held off until they had a platform to do one properly.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Cody getting DDP's film production crew doing Road to Double or Nothing (and presumably building out from their contacts) seems like a real coup. Steve Yu is legit super-talented.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Meltzer is saying his contact just expired so I guess he wasn't lying when he denied reports a few weeks ago.

Edit: Beaten lol

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Cody getting DDP's film production crew doing Road to Double or Nothing (and presumably building out from their contacts) seems like a real coup. Steve Yu is legit super-talented.
I hope they integrate a lot of Road's style into the TV show.

More of a sports doc/authentic feel to it. Would be something different rather than angry or snarky promos back and forth backstage with an interviewer or in the ring all the time to get things across.

Last edited:

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

More of a sports doc/authentic feel to it. Would be something different.
That's my hope too. Really like getting to know the talent and keeping the grounded and real feeling will help make it work and get people over. I think it'll help get fans much more emotionally invested. A lot of the tertiary stuff WWE does for their roster has all been great! The episode of Photoshoot with Charlotte got me emotional in no time at all. Never mind I'm a big ol softy when it comes to seeing people grieve lol. Would be great to see stuff like that in place of the filler matches and unnecessary feuds people don't care for.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am fine with Cody doing his thing as long as that keeps him away from the stuff I like. Call it the AEW bathroom break q:

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wonder if they'll announce anymore matches. There should at least be 1 more match as there are some woman on the card who aren't in a match yet.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with Cody doing his thing as long as that keeps him away from the stuff I like. Call it the AEW bathroom break q:
Yeah, I'm disappointed the whole card isn't a stunner/showcase. Was so close to looking like a total package for the most part where every match would deliver on some level.

Cody can have this but I'm definitely going to continue to be butthurt about it.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've been super underestimating the elite's drawing power all this time. crazy.

that said, dallas wrasslin fans truly disappointing right now. new japan blessing what was once a great wrestling territory with that show. kevin von erich rolling in his grave right now.

Kevin's the one that's not dead.

NJPW would draw a lot better than 3,000 a lot of places for a G1.

Cody vs Dustin will be a solid match. It won't be a classic, but it doesn't have to be. Dustin's a very good wrestler, and Cody gives his all even if he's limited athletically.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Username "GOLDUST" is already taken.

The Following usernames are available.

SILVER POWDER
BRONZE SAND
PLATINUM GRIT

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017

More of a sports doc/authentic feel to it. Would be something different rather than angry or snarky promos back and forth backstage with an interviewer or in the ring all the time to get things across.

In a perfect world I'd love to see them combine this HBO sports doc style of the "Road to" for video packages with the spontaneous, flowing segments of '97 WWF for the weekly show. A real interconnected feel, where the people backstage, interviews, and feuds are bumping up against each other realistically, and no single segment feels like it's in a pocket universe.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I could see Dustin being AEW's Mr. Wrestling (since they're modeling Mid-South), the grumpy vet who's angry about the younger guys passing him up who sort of acts as a gatekeeper.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to be Goldust v. Cody though. This is Dustin. Don't get hung up on the make-up. As long as Dustin comes in working as hard as he has the last couple years, this will be fine. It's not like Cody was this huge technical marvel to begin with. They'll put their heart into it to make it good. Aldis/Cody wasn't a technical masterpiece but it told a great story, even with a stiff like Aldis.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I guess I was hoping for more than "fine" from AEW.

In addition to Aja Kong and Yuka Sakazaki being advertised and Hikaru Shida signed/with nothing announced to do yet, the current card looks like

Hangman Page vs PAC
SCU vs CIMA and two TBA OWE partners
Kenny/Jericho 2
Britt Baker vs Kylie Rae vs Nyla Rose
Bucks/Lucha Bros for the AAA tag titles
Over the budget battle royal (confirmed participants so far: Sonny Kiss, Kip Sabian, Brandon Cutler, Ace Romero, Glacier, Brian Pillman Jr, Sunny Daze, MJF, Joey Janela)
Cody/Dustin

Cody/Dustin is easily the worst looking match on the card for me right now. If even that's "fine", it's hard to not say this is an impressive first show for a company. This is a very good card even with that match being the down point

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Its definitely looking that way so far.

Both of those guys are almost guaranteed to be future champions if they stick around, especially PAC. Gonna burn it down at DON.
Still can't believe what WWE did (or rather didn't do) with PAC. He was always great in the ring but he found himself as a character at the end of his WWE run. Should have been in a better spot rather then stuck on 205 as he was. At least we're getting this now.

Deleted member 8583

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AEW booking so far is decent taking into account they have not established any division or belts. I do not mind the show having one or two mediocre matches (Cody and Brandi) as long as they give the rest their time.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
One thing that I think AEW should strive towards is to keep their shows compact to further differentiate themselves from the WWE.

It's perfectly ok to have 7-8 matches on a PPV card and allow each match to breathe a little within a 3-3.5 hour period, rather than to shove 11+ matches onto a card in an attempt to put everyone and their mother on the card.

Overly long shows with too many meaningless matches was one of my biggest pet peeves with the WWE before I stopped watching.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Meltzer made a brief comment on WO radio about how CM Punk was actually Tony Khan's "first pick [for AEW], before the Young Bucks and Jericho."

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Meltzer made a brief comment on WO radio about how CM Punk was actually Tony Khan's "first pick [for AEW], before the Young Bucks and Jericho."
Punk is too stubborn to return at this point, I think.

Even if he wants to come back, think he'll keep doing the dumb masked indie spots to scratch the itch.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not surprising. Only person outside of WWE that has both the name value to casual fans that Jericho has and could get hardcore fans more excited then the Elite since it'd be his big return and if he's motivated.

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely think Punk will wrestle or be involved in AEW. Consulting or some kind of on-screen management role.

Think about it, be involved in what could be a major blow to WWE after all the bullshit he went through.

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
Punk has already made it clear that he has no desire to wrestle again. He's not coming to AEW or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.