• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
That's not true. I'm really sick of people, including Eric Bishoff, blaming WCW dying on the merger because that's misleading. It was a main reason why it was being sold. Yes, Jaime Kellner did not like wrestling but WCW went from a company profiting 80-150 million a year to burning through 5-7 million MONTHLY. No one in their right mind can tell me he would still demand them be off the network if they were making a faction of what they made during 96-98. When the merger happened, their profits were already in the toilet, they were losing sponsors, and they were eroding their fan base. If you have to rely on one billionaire's love for wrestling to keep your company alive, then you should not be in business...

My point was that without Turner it was harder for them to run negative, not that it was the sole reason. Turner clearly didn't care about them burning money since he was letting it all fly for those later years.

I know they were burning cash left and right. Shit like Sturges and the Nitro spring break were immediate loses before even counting buy rates. However that happened under turner too and he just did not care.

I'm basing this on death of wcw by the way. Not some Bischoff shoot interviews

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point was that without Turner it was harder for them to run negative, not that it was the sole reason. Turner clearly didn't care about them burning money since he was letting it all fly for those later years.

I know they were burning cash left and right. Shit like Sturges and the Nitro spring break were immediate loses before even counting buy rates. However that happened under turner too and he just did not care.
If you wanna say "with turner, he would of kept the lights on as long as possible", fine. But saying that "the merger screwed them more than anything". More than them burning millions of dollars monthly nearly losing all the money they profited in the past 2-3 years with HUNDREDS of people under contracts for a ludicrous amount of money with MANY of those people being payed 6 figures to sit home... I ain't down with that...

Oct 25, 2017
If you wanna say "with turner, he would of kept the lights on as long as possible", fine. But saying that "the merger screwed them more than anything". More than them burning millions of dollars monthly nearly losing all the money they profited in the past 2-3 years with HUNDREDS of people under contracts for a ludicrous amount of money with MANY of those people being payed 6 figures to sit home... I ain't down with that...

Fair

I'd be super curious to know how long Turner would have kept footing that bill. Bischoff had the most no head ideas and was offering the stupidest contracts

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
In the interview with Jericho, Dean brought up how Hunter nixed a spot because "they'd lose a 10 million dollar sponsor" so to me that's a signal he only cares about keeping up the corporate spiel. Additionally, the booking in NXT is pretty bad right now and that's "Hunters baby" so to speak so I don't think he's particulary the genius some think. He's just got some of the best talent in the world down there helping to cover up the bad booking & story telling.

I also just don't buy into the whole idea that HHH is some how the bright light in this when given his history in the company from the Cliq to his reign & burials to now. He's for the most part always been in the upper hand of things.
Was it not Dean who was talking about losing sponsors? I thought he said that in relation to the line they tried to get him to say about Roman, which he refused to say. Apparently it was that bad he expected them to lose sponsors if he had said it.

As for talent, WWE's main roster has some absolutely amazing talent, but the talent can only do so much to cover up terrible writing and even they're struggling when they have to work with scripted nonsense for 5 hours a week.

Oct 25, 2017
Was it not Dean who was talking about losing sponsors? I thought he said that in relation to the line they tried to get him to say about Roman, which he refused to say. Apparently it was that bad he expected them to lose sponsors if he had said it.

As for talent, WWE's main roster has some absolutely amazing talent, but the talent can only do so much to cover up terrible writing and even they're struggling when they have to work with scripted nonsense for 5 hours a week.

No it was attached to the conversation about doing a spot with hunter. He did later make the comment of how he knew if he said that Roman line the blowback would come on him

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Segment with Kenny Omega and Xavier Woods from last night's Giant Bomb E3 coverage

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Do we know for certain that ITV are running the next two events for 'free'?

I'm assuming that they're going to be screening on ITV4 but I've been wrong about this stuff before.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Do we know for certain that ITV are running the next two events for 'free'?

I'm assuming that they're going to be screening on ITV4 but I've been wrong about this stuff before.
No official word yet. Fite TV did announce yesterday that they're airing the next show outside the US, UK, and Ireland, but didn't say anything regarding a price.

Just based off that, ITV will likely be involved in airing the next show, and I'm also assuming that it'll either be entirely on ITV4 (if it's free) or they may do the pre-show on ITV4 and the main show on ITV Box Office if there's a price involved.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
There's no doubt in my mind that Punk won't be announced formally at this show. He might make a guest appearance he might not, but if he is going to AEW, he will either pull a Luger and walk out Day one or get announced shortly before to build hype to a big TV ratings pop.

He may be a garbage MMA guy and wrestler but he knows how to work marks.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Went to All In and will be trying to get All Out tickets in 45 minutes. Got upper deck for All In and was online right when they went on sale. Hoping for better luck this time.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Good luck to everyone trying to get tickets in an hour
Good luck, friend.

200.gif

Oct 25, 2017
There's no doubt in my mind that Punk won't be announced formally at this show. He might make a guest appearance he might not, but if he is going to AEW, he will either pull a Luger and walk out Day one or get announced shortly before to build hype to a big TV ratings pop.

He may be a garbage MMA guy and wrestler but he knows how to work marks.

Just stop even hoping or thinking. The punk obsession is out of damn control. The roster is stacked with great talent and Punk would only look like a chump amongst it.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Just stop even hoping or thinking. The punk obsession is out of damn control. The roster is stacked with great talent and Punk would only look like a chump amongst it.

I'm not obsessed with punk. As I clearly stated, he is a garbage wrestler. However, he is topical and the next show is in Chicago and the owner of AEW has gone on the record multiple times saying he wants CM Punk.

Also,, notwithstanding that CM Punk is a bad wrestler, let's not pretend like he isn't a good promo and draw. It's still a carny sport and Punk is one of the loudest barkers in the game. If his inclusion generates additional cash for the company so the boys can have a better life, something tells me they wouldn't mind that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not obsessed with punk. As I clearly stated, he is a garbage wrestler. However, he is topical and the next show is in Chicago and the owner of AEW has gone on the record multiple times saying he wants CM Punk.

Also,, notwithstanding that CM Punk is a bad wrestler, let's not pretend like he isn't a good promo and draw. It's still a carny sport and Punk is one of the loudest barkers in the game. If his inclusion generates additional cash for the company so the boys can have a better life, something tells me they wouldn't mind that.

Who is he topical for though beyond "smarks"? Only reason I ever remember him is because people are clamoring for him to come back.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Who is he topical for though beyond "smarks"? Only reason I ever remember him is because people are clamoring for him to come back.
I mean, CM Punk is one of the only recent pro wrestlers who managed to get mainstream attention. Yeah he's been out for a while and he was always so so in the ring but the dude is a draw and he'd bring some mainstream attention to AEW

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Capacity for the arena is somewhere a little over 11,000 so hopefully we get in

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
In the interview with Jericho, Dean brought up how Hunter nixed a spot because "they'd lose a 10 million dollar sponsor" so to me that's a signal he only cares about keeping up the corporate spiel. Additionally, the booking in NXT is pretty bad right now and that's "Hunters baby" so to speak so I don't think he's particulary the genius some think. He's just got some of the best talent in the world down there helping to cover up the bad booking & story telling.

I also just don't buy into the whole idea that HHH is some how the bright light in this when given his history in the company from the Cliq to his reign & burials to now. He's for the most part always been in the upper hand of things.
Ambrose's point was that HHH was right there, in that the spot wasn't good enough to be worth losing a sponsor over, there are always other spots.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Your number in line: 56946
Number of users in line ahead of you: 54010
Expected arrival time on the website: more than an hour CDT

are you fucking kidding me

HOW ARE THAT MANY PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THIS FAKE SPORTS PRODUCT THAT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TV YET

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
They've made their own Wrestlemania and it's in a Raw location. Congrats to AEW on buzz that will last a long time.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You are now in line

You are in line for ALL OUT tickets. When it is your turn, you will have 10 minutes to enter the website.

There is a four (4) ticket limit per customer.
Your number in line: 66031
Number of users in line ahead of you: 59894
Your estimated wait time is: more than an hour

please

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Your number in line: 56946
Number of users in line ahead of you: 54010

are you fucking kidding me

HOW ARE THAT MANY PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THIS FAKE SPORTS PRODUCT THAT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TV YET
It shows how much pent up demand there is for an alternative to wwe in the west.

Between people who stopped watching years ago because wwe is shit, people who stopped watching recently due to the attention wwe and vince get for the Saudi deal and other horrendous stuff and probably current wwe fans too.

As long as aew have a good product that makes sense and has interesting characters and wrestling, they are gonna have a really solid, loyal base to start with and will easily grow from there.

I stopped watching wwe over a decade ago and I can't wait for AEW to start.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Unable to secure tickets at this price level

FUCK. I was 6000 in line and it's not showing me any tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.