• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Limit

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
What are they doing trying to get TV deals? Get on netflix, amazon, or some other streaming service.

KefkaPalazzo

Oct 25, 2017
I can see this being pretty damn successful given how well All In did. Several TV networks are already interested too, and having Cody and the Young Bucks is a damn nice start. Will be curious to see what relationship they will have with NJPW.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Kishido

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this will turn into a serious rival for WWE and I will support this one.

Curious about Omega and what his plan will be... And damn maybe CM Punk will return at one day if this becomes big

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to be bigger than WWE in a few years.

What they can be is a rock solid genuine competitor.

It's clear from their initial intent they do not intend to directly compete with the WWE (the fact they're not looking to clash with them TV-wise is an indicator of that.

I think on the short term they should look at being a refreshing alternative to WWE much like NJPW is right now - both in terms of the content they're offering and for talent looking to work. If anything, they're competing with ROH. I'd guess they'll use the same kind of model in their early days, with All-In type big shows every quarter..

The question for me is... how I can I see this in the UK..

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The question for me is... how I can I see this in the UK..
Yeah same.
I hope they have a streaming service/partner with one of the big streaming services personally. I don't have Sky, Virgin or Freeview and one wrestling show ain't enough to get me back on that shit.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Motherfucker! How much further can they trade down?

The channel they are moving to is literally partially owned by the same company that owns Impact, so that's probably rock bottom until they finally decide to sell to WWE (which almost happened a few months ago).

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
This is the competitor we've been waiting for... Pls don't fuck it up. They should absolutely pay up to get Punk.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
What are they doing trying to get TV deals? Get on netflix, amazon, or some other streaming service.
I don't think there's enough money in it, especially with the crazy money a lot of TV networks are throwing around to sports and other live attractions.

I remembered TNA being Thursday. I guess TNA was just forgettable once Hogan came

TNA was short lived
The sad thing is TNA's lasted longer than WCW...

Anyway, this announcement has been pretty obvious for a while now but it's still really exciting news. It's always great to have genuine competitors out there and to be headed up by wrestlers who've managed to build themselves into legit stars outside of the WWE is really exciting. Especially since they can now get away from all the RoH baggage. Can't wait to see who they sign.

I sure hope they manage to come to some sort of deal with NJPW, as AEW would be FAR more valuable to them than RoH, especially if it let Kenny stay in NJPW full-time but also work the occasional AEW card. But NJPW's very loyal to their partners, so things could easily turn to shit. NJPW would recover, just like they did when Nakamura, AJ and Karl Anderson left, but it'd still suck.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
It's clear from their initial intent they do not intend to directly compete with the WWE (the fact they're not looking to clash with them TV-wise is an indicator of that.

I don't think it's their decision. They're a wrestling promotion backed by a billionaire and that alone makes them a huge threat in Vince's eyes. There will definitely be a war and WWE will play it nasty. The first battleground will be signing independent talent and Vince andd Hunter will make sure there's nothing left for AEW's plate.

They need to get along with WWE well to stay true independent. We need competition, not war. Wrestling wars always end badly.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped following the day to day stuff with wrestling, but goddamn how long was this in motion?

Does this mean the Elite are leaving NJPW after Wrestle Kingdom?

Also put their show up against Smackdown (WWE's flagship show) and let's get a new war going

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
They really need to hitch themselves to a streaming service. Something like Amazon Prime who have started to buy up some sports streaming rights would be perfect. I love NJPW but something that stops me from following them more closely is how bad their app is (and how you can still only get it on certain devices).

Deleted member 11426

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greensboro NC
I fell out of wrestling and check back in every now and then, but the WWE fucking sucks. These guys are fun to follow and got backed by a billionaire, so it should be interesting to see at least.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
In a perfect world, AEW would buy the rights to this song and use it for their weekly TV show :')

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
If they get a tv deal on a major network that would be big, and it'd be great if they actually brought something new and different in terms of presentation, storylines, etc.. instead of coming off looking like WWE-lite. I hope they succeed because WWE needs a good kick in the pants.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully for AEW's sake Khan is a money mark like Turner was, because that's what they'll need to survive, a guy who doesn't care if he loses money to start, a guy who just wants to bankroll wrestling and doesn't see it as a way to make money primarily

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped following the day to day stuff with wrestling, but goddamn how long was this in motion?

Does this mean the Elite are leaving NJPW after Wrestle Kingdom?

Also put their show up against Smackdown (WWE's flagship show) and let's get a new war going

It's been known in a general sense since All In, but these specific trademarks leaked in late November.

The Elite are most likely done with NJPW, at least for now, after WK.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Khan should call Vince McMahon and tell him he's in the wrasslin buisiness.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't jericho say to vince he wouldn't wrestle in the US for another company?

A man of his word huh?

I don't know if he said that to Vince, that was just his own rule since he figured if he was wrestling in the US, it should be for the big leagues. He's changed his mind since then though.

"Month's ago when ALL IN was announced, Cody called me and said, 'Do you want to be involved?'

And I said, 'No, I'm not really wanting to work any shows in the states that aren't WWE shows. For various reasons. I just didn't feel it was where I was at career-wise. So I told him I appreciated the offer, but I'm not gonna do it. I also got asked to do Long Beach and those New Japan and all that other stuff as well, so that was kind of the thing. But over the course of the last few months, my mindset's kind of changed a bit to where I'm enjoying being a part of this kind-of new revolution of wrestling that's going on... So I just thought, well, you know, I'll consider it, but the idea has to be right.

So Cody called me again and originally asked me if I wanted to be Burnard the Bear. I guess sometimes people will take off the bear mask and... so the idea was maybe do something in the main event where The Bucks come down with Burnard the Bear or something and then I attack Kota Ibushi, obviously Kenny's partner in The Golden Lovers. I was like, 'Why don't I attack Kenny?' It was like, well, it's not really an angle match and whatever - we just couldn't figure it out, it's like, 'Nah, I'm not really interested in it.'

And then Cody called me again and I was like, started thinking, 'I wonder if I could make this work?' And we started kicking around some ideas and the idea was, 'Well what if I can come in earlier in the show and attack Kenny?' Cause that's the idea of kind of keeping this angle alive from the Tokyo Dome to the cruise and maybe elsewhere. And I just thought, 'What a great way of kind-of last minute promotion for the cruise?'"

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between Impact, ROH, and AEW the competition for #2 is going to be intense, and Impact's very likely to lose out due to lack of funds.

NJPW might be the tiebreaker in all of this- whether they stay with ROH or go with Kenny.

Indie talent is going to benefit heavily.

Dec 29, 2017
If any member of the elite leave WK13 with a title then we will know more clearly what their relationship with NJPW is.

I think Kenny's Quest won't air at WK13 because it seems NJPW are going to turn Kenny heel. The video makes Kenny look like the face. All the interviews with Tanahashi and Kenny keep bringing up Kenny as willing to turn heel. Either that or the video was too much of a spoiler for the match.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If any member of the elite leave WK13 with a title then we will know more clearly what their relationship with NJPW is.

I think Kenny's Quest won't air at WK13 because it seems NJPW are going to turn Kenny heel. The video makes Kenny look like the face. All the interviews with Tanahashi and Kenny keep bringing up Kenny as willing to turn heel. Either that or the video was too much of a spoiler for the match.

Yeah the video gets the feud completely backwards and also is terrible at informing the casual fan as to what it's all about.

Who is Tanahashi? What's a cortisol shot? Who is Harold Meiji? Why doesn't Ibushi want to help? What is literally any of the background to this match?

Oct 25, 2017
Between Impact, ROH, and AEW the competition for #2 is going to be intense, and Impact's very likely to lose out due to lack of funds.

NJPW might be the tiebreaker in all of this- whether they stay with ROH or go with Kenny.

Indie talent is going to benefit heavily.
If AEW really has a major TV deal in the works ( Hopefully from Paramount or TBS) no question it's the #2 Wrestling company in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.