• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
goddammit.

oGYogb9.gif

Hopefully its not too serious.

It sure as fuck looks the part tho.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Kenny's coming back to AAA at some point to challenge Fenix for his Mega title. So if you liked today's fantastic Triplemania show, get psyched because it's not the end of AEW using the AAA partnership and it's not the end of Lucha Kenny, and next time we're even getting a singles match out of it!

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Was wondering if it would be up today, and looks like it will be. Surprised considering they traveled this weekend.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Omega vs Fénix two is going to be amazing.

The first one was one of my favorite matches of 2018, and my most liked Omega match of 2018.

There is a really high chance that he wins the AAA Mega Championship as AAA loves to do heel / arrogant foreigner wins the belt and face AAA wrestler needs to win it back.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of bummed Kenny is doing a heel run in AAA. Crowd seemed hyped for him.

Kenny is only going to be over in the big cities like Mexico City, Monterrey or Tijuana where people know him. The rest of AAA market is based on casual viewers that go to a wrestling show because it is the big event of the city that week.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Great to see Kylie Rae's training in the ring again (as of a couple weeks ago).

YuGbTfN.jpg
tH87T14.jpg

Last edited:

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
You know I've been watching New Japan's G1 Climax recently to get my wrestling fix and to follow what Moxley is doing in Japan. It's actually my first time watching New Japan, and I have to say that New Japan does such an amazing job "telling a story" in the ring. I've watched All of AEW's events and I watched some AAA recently, but, honestly, I feel like New Japan's G1 Climax is some of the best wrestling I've watched recently. It really does like feel like a sporting event. I love the camera work and the fact that mics pick up a lot more of the wrestlers in the ring. It feels like watching a boxing match if you know what I mean. I kind of feel like AEW billed itself as kind of what New Japan is doing. A more sport centric vibe where wins and losses matter and such....BUT I feel like that's not what they are actually doing. Would anybody prefer a New Japan style approach to AEW or do you think they are fine doing what they are doing now, which almost feels like they are trying too hard to be like attitude era WWE. Or am I completely wrong?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
You know I've been watching New Japan's G1 Climax recently to get my wrestling fix and to follow what Moxley is doing in Japan. It's actually my first time watching New Japan, and I have to say that New Japan does such an amazing job "telling a story" in the ring. I've watched All of AEW's events and I watched some AAA recently, but, honestly, I feel like New Japan's G1 Climax is some of the best wrestling I've watched recently. It really does like feel like a sporting event. I love the camera work and the fact that mics pick up a lot more of the wrestlers in the ring. It feels like watching a boxing match if you know what I mean. I kind of feel like AEW billed itself as kind of what New Japan is doing. A more sport centric vibe where wins and losses matter and such....BUT I feel like that's not what they are actually doing. Would anybody prefer a New Japan style approach to AEW or do you think they are fine doing what they are doing now, which almost feels like they are trying too hard to be like attitude era WWE. Or am I completely wrong?

New Japan has more talent than AEW and is the best wrestling on the planet. AEW can't compete from an in-ring perspective (no promotion can, much less one with 3 shows under their belt just getting off the ground), they simply lack the world class depth/talent outside of Kenny, the Bucks and Rey Fenix.

I'm sure being able to pull off something the quality of the G1 is the long term goal for them, but for now I wouldn't set my expectations that high. I think we'll get our first taste of how AEW does a tournament when they start their tag tournament on TV.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think they've been pretty true to their claims that they would be more sports-focused and that wins and losses matter. I don't think that ever meant a strict realistic simulation of a real sport. But it means the matches are presented with logic behind them, there are rules in place (eg time limits, billing the hardcore match as unsactioned), there is a reason for matches happening and a consequence to what happens thereafter. The presentation and the booking is a stark contrast to the WWE style where "it's fake so it doesn't matter if it makes sense." I think they've 100% hit that vibe out of the park. I still expect it to be over-the-top and what not, but grounded in its reality.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
New Japan has more talent than AEW and is the best wrestling on the planet. AEW can't compete from an in-ring perspective (no promotion can, much less one with 3 shows under their belt just getting off the ground), they simply lack the world class depth/talent outside of Kenny, the Bucks and Rey Fenix.

I'm sure being able to pull off something the quality of the G1 is the long term goal for them, but for now I wouldn't set my expectations that high. I think we'll get our first taste of how AEW does a tournament when they start their tag tournament on TV.
Not only this, but so far we haven't seen a lot about how will they incorporate the wins/losses and all the stats that they said they would do. I think that after All Out, they will lay out a lot of the details of how will all of this play into the whole "wrestling league" concept.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
That was tweeted last night and this morning he announced Boston and Philly

Maybe next year, Atlantans
Please. ATLiens. Get it right.

I think what they're doing now is almost closer to Lucha Underground in a way without the high concept fiction element. There's a dramatic feel to the promos they're releasing. Like a docudrama or a gritty action film if you recall the thing they did for Janela vs Moxley.

Also, NJPW wasn't the way it is now over night. They had to figure out what they were, too. AEW will have to find what sticks and figure out what they want to do with what hits with their audience. I think the things that they are doing work just fine for an American wrestling audience. Just copying NJPW is also disengenuous because then you havent really provided something new, which is something else AEW has said they're going for.

I love NJPW, and I think there are cues any wrestling promotion should take from them. I think I would end up more annoyed if they just lifted that whole cloth, though. I'm enjoying what AEW is offering and think there's room for a fusion of familiar and new. What they're doing now is pretty gripping. That last Road to All Out was really excellent story telling across the board. More like that and they'll be golden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.