• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Kenny Omega vs. Rey Fenix on 10/19 in AAA:

EEnFqi9XoA0nsKx.jpg:large

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
wow

I feel like that's an All Out main event tier matchup. those dudes are gonna kill each others.
I don't think Fenix will be doing any major singles stuff in AEW anytime soon. Which I'm fine with honestly. Tag team wrestling shouldn't be looked at as something that holds you back in AEW.

Glad to see him to get to flex that here tho.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, that card for the first show isn't worth traveling for, I'm only taking the amtrak but still, I thought it would be better for the first show

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not gonna lie, that card for the first show isn't worth traveling for, I'm only taking the amtrak but still, I thought it would be better for the first show
Not every card will be a PPV quality card, and I think it's a great idea to introduce your newer talent from the very first day. Also, you can expect more matches because matches won't be as long as their PPV's have been.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
It's not too dissimilar from the Fyter Fest card (eg The Elite vs Lucha Bros/Laredo Kid, Cody vs Darby, Moxley vs Janela).

Regardless, a lot will come down to presentation and how they book it. There are ways to make compelling television without a WrestleMania caliber card every week.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't feel like a really strong show yet.

The main event should be great. Nyla/Riho and Cody/Sammy could both beat expectations and be pretty good.

I do think they'll do something fun as a dark match after the show.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think you can definitely make the argument that they could have made the card stronger for their first TV show. I do think they needed to strike some sort of balance because if you stack the card, you're obviously not going to be able to follow that up with a similar type of card every week, so that could do more harm than good if you hook people in but then relatively disappoint in the follow-up. I think it's perfectly fine because I'm already invested in the product and characters but for a newcomer I could see where that card doesn't jump off the paper.

I'm curious about Jericho's partners. All along I was expecting it to be LAX but it's a little curious that they haven't announced it as such even though they've now been revealed as joining AEW. I think they're still the most likely partners but is there anyone else that we could reasonably expect might be brought in?

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
By the way, I also like the addition of the MJF match. It seems clearly designed to showcase him. I think it's important that they do that early because if they're going to go with this Cody partnership, they really need to define clearly that MJF is a heel and his friendship with Cody is an act. If they lead with the Cody friendship, I can see that getting confusing for people who haven't followed the product closely.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
They're cutting it close in regards to announcing a name for the TV show

It's not a huge deal since the commercials for the TV show have already gotten the message across well, but it's still a little odd

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
They're cutting it close in regards to announcing a name for the TV show

It's not a huge deal since the commercials for the TV show have already gotten the message across well, but it's still a little odd
I just hope that means it's something simple like AEW on TNT. Having it closely associated with NBA on TNT branding would give it instant legitimacy too.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
The updated AEW schedule features:

10/2 in Washington, DC at the Capitol One Arena featuring Chris Jericho & Mystery Partners vs. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega, Cody vs. Sammy Guevara, Nyla Rose vs. Riho to crown the first AEW Women's Champion, Jon Moxley to appear, MJF vs. Brandon Cutler and more.

10/4 in NYC - AEW Champion Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Awesome Kong, Nyla Rose, Brandi Rhodes and Jungle Boy at New York Comic Con.

10/9 in Boston at Boston University's Agganis Arena featuring The Young Bucks vs. Private Party in the first match in the AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament, Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears and more.

10/16 in Philadelphia at Temple University's The Liacouras Center with first-ever AEW Title bout and a AEW Women's Championship bout.

10/23 in Pittsburgh, PA at the Petersen Events Center with Tag Team Championship Tournament Semi-Finals, Jon Moxley in action and more.

10/30 in Charleston, WV at the Charleston Coliseum West Virginia with Tag Team Championship Tournament Final, AEW Champion Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley and more.

11/6 in Charlotte, NC at the Bojangles Arena.

11/9 in Baltimore, MD - Full Gear at the Royal Farms Arena with Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley.

11/13 in Nashville, TN at the Municipal Auditorium.

11/20 in Indianapolis at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.

11/27 in Hoffman Estate, IL at the Sears Center.

12/25 - AEW TV pre-empted due to TNT Christmas programming.

1/20/20-1/24/20 - Chris Jericho Cruise (unconfirmed, but looks like they're taping a TV episode on the cruise)

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Shit, if Jerichos partners were Lax (or PnP?) It'd be announced already. Now I'm excited again after assuming it would be them

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
I just hope that means it's something simple like AEW on TNT. Having it closely associated with NBA on TNT branding would give it instant legitimacy too.
The main barrier to calling the show "AEW on TNT" is in regards to when the show airs on TV channels outside of the U.S. that are not TNT (ie ITV, TSN, etc). For that reason alone, I can understand why calling the show AEW on TNT may not be the best thing on a global scale (although I do like the simplicity of the name).

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The updated AEW schedule features:

10/2 in Washington, DC at the Capitol One Arena featuring Chris Jericho & Mystery Partners vs. The Young Bucks & Kenny Omega, Cody vs. Sammy Guevara, Nyla Rose vs. Riho to crown the first AEW Women's Champion, Jon Moxley to appear, MJF vs. Brandon Cutler and more.

10/4 in NYC - AEW Champion Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley, Awesome Kong, Nyla Rose, Brandi Rhodes and Jungle Boy at New York Comic Con.

10/9 in Boston at Boston University's Agganis Arena featuring The Young Bucks vs. Private Party in the first match in the AEW Tag Team Championship Tournament, Jon Moxley vs. Shawn Spears and more.

10/16 in Philadelphia at Temple University's The Liacouras Center with first-ever AEW Title bout and a AEW Women's Championship bout.

10/23 in Pittsburgh, PA at the Petersen Events Center with Tag Team Championship Tournament Semi-Finals, Jon Moxley in action and more.

10/30 in Charleston, WV at the Charleston Coliseum West Virginia with Tag Team Championship Tournament Final, AEW Champion Chris Jericho, Jon Moxley and more.

11/6 in Charlotte, NC at the Bojangles Arena.

11/9 in Baltimore, MD - Full Gear at the Royal Farms Arena with Kenny Omega vs. Jon Moxley.

11/13 in Nashville, TN at the Municipal Auditorium.

11/20 in Indianapolis at the Indiana Farmers Coliseum.

11/27 in Hoffman Estate, IL at the Sears Center.

12/25 - AEW TV pre-empted due to TNT Christmas programming.

1/20/20-1/24/20 - Chris Jericho Cruise (unconfirmed, but looks like they're taping a TV episode on the cruise)

Ayeee Indy, nice, I tweeted out to Cody about coming to Indy and I'll just believe my tweet made them come

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
EEoqutpXYAAdmgm.jpg:large

The Garfield x Pro Wrestling crossover event that Jeff Gerstmann always dreamed of

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I guess they don't wanna keep themselves stuck with a Wednesday name incase they want to movie nights one day.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Young Bucks are heading to the Victorville Cracker Barrel? Any chance we can get them to visit the local Victorville Film Archive, (world's largest film archive) and get an appearance by film expert Gregg Turkington?

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Rhio vs Rose should be the main event since it's crowning the first AEW women's champ. It's strange to me that match isn't going on last.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I feel like Rhio vs Rose should be the main event since it's crowning the first AEW women's champ. It's strange to me that match isn't going on last.

I think it makes sense in that it's the safer choice. The main event has their biggest stars in it. The women's match is for a title, but neither of them are established at all. While from a prestige standpoint, the title match should go last, it's less of an attraction and would potentially fall flat with viewers. It definitely would be a big statement if they made it go on last but I don't think their women's division is built for that right now.

One of the goals for them as a promotion should be to make all of the divisions - men, women, and tag team - be able to stand alone as a main event for a show.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I am ready for an announcement on where I will be watching the show in Canada.

Cody tweeted this week that Canada will be very happy soon, or something along those lines. It has to be soon because they're running out of time. I wonder if they got TSN, Sportsnet, or something else entirely. I hope the shows will be up on BR Live if possible.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I hope sammy guevaras popularity takes off. Really liked his appearances so far and its dope that he gets the tv debut vs. Cody

He should win too. It would be big for him and set up an angle that rhodes is unfocused and stretched thin or some shit

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I hope sammy guevaras popularity takes off. Really liked his appearances so far and its dope that he gets the tv debut vs. Cody

He should win too. It would be big for him and set up an angle that rhodes is unfocused and stretched thin or some shit
He SHOULD win. Cody can still have a string of victories and fight his match against Jericho and you make Sammy into a legitimate future contender right off the bat.

fallingedge

Oct 25, 2017
Cody should squash the geek and look strong going into his match with Jericho. Don't do what they did with Page vs Sabian.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
But where do you go with that? Sammy's not going to be world champion any time soon. If Sammy can beat Cody, why wouldn't Jericho be able to? Why would it matter if Jericho beats Cody, if Cody can't beat a lower card guy like Sammy? Why have Cody beat Spears if you're just going to follow it up with him losing to a guy who's presented as lower in the card? I mean, they already set the stage for a Cody loss meaning he'd lose that title shot, so then who replaces him in that match? I just don't see any logical booking that results from Cody putting over Sammy.

I think they need Cody to win to keep him strong going into the Jericho match. They're already doing the losing streak/unfocused angle with Kenny Omega. Page just took a big loss too. They need at least one of their upper tier faces to look credible. I think the match can serve the purpose of putting Sammy in a good light and look impressive even in losing. Realistically, he's not going to have a title to go after until they introduce a midcard belt so in the early going it's more about establishing some character and putting him into view for a larger audience.

Last edited:

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
But where do you go with that? Sammy's not going to be world champion any time soon. I think they need Cody to win to keep him strong going into the Jericho match. They're already doing the losing streak/unfocused angle with Kenny Omega. Page just took a big loss too. They need at least one of their upper tier faces to look credible. I think the match can serve the purpose of putting Sammy in a good light and look impressive even in losing. Realistically, he's not going to have a title to go after until they introduce a midcard belt so in the early going it's more about establishing some character and putting him into view for a larger audience.
Yeah, that sounds very logical also. It's a bit difficult because I want everyone to succeed since the beginning but Sammy can have a great showing like Darby did and maybe get into a program with Darby himself.

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're fine with Sling ($25 a month regularly, currently the first month is on sale for $15. I think there's a free week trial too, there was when I tried the service) https://www.sling.com/
Thanks, I'll definitely check this out when I have the chance.
AAA streams most of their big shows on twitch. Just don't listen to the English commentary.
I've been a sub for their twitch channel in Spanish for a few months now. Worth every penny.
It will be free to stream on Twitch live
YESSSSSS
I'm so ready for more Kenny

Jun 14, 2019
i wonder how much of the show will have promos etc be interesting to see how they weigh up match time vs backstage promos etc.

also is this going to be the usual wwe air time for uk like 1 in morning ?

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Yeah, that sounds very logical also. It's a bit difficult because I want everyone to succeed since the beginning but Sammy can have a great showing like Darby did and maybe get into a program with Darby himself.

I think they can still push Sammy without him winning. He can hit some high spots, give Cody a run for his money, and he's now somebody that has looked good in front of a large audience. The vignette they did on him recently was great. He has a lot of personality they can show in that kind of way, and they can follow it up with matches lower on that card that he can win (eg Cutler, which they have been hinting at for a while) and do a slow build. Guevara would be a prime contender for their midcard belt whenever they introduce it.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
i wonder how much of the show will have promos etc be interesting to see how they weigh up match time vs backstage promos etc.

also is this going to be the usual wwe air time for uk like 1 in morning ?

They've mentioned a lot that they want to keep it in the ring as much as possible so I'm not expecting a lot. I really hope they at least make time to fit in the segments they've been showing on the "Road to..." series. They can fit in a few minute vignette here and there. That stuff is great and really will do a lot to build characters and fueds (see above for Sammy).

Status
Not open for further replies.