• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
AEW Plus is now available via Fite. £4.89/month in the UK. Signed up and ready for episode 1, can't wait.

One thing I hope AEW will improve over time is their entrance themes. Outside of Jericho's (which is his own song), I don't think there are many memorable ones. I like Kenny's, but it takes ages to get to the "the best bout machine" part where the theme really kicks in. Feels too slow before that. Page's and Cody's themes are okay too.

I think my issue with them is none really have an instant signifier at the start where you can go "Yep, that's _____". WWE was very good at this. Austin's glass shatter. The Rock's "If ya smell". The opening notes of Kurt Angle's theme. There are loads of examples. Right now AEW doesn't really have anything that starts their themes off where you can instantly tell who's about to walk down the ramp.
Eeeh, I used to hate a lot of those entrance starters, particularly the catch phrases. Booker T's theme was immediately recognisable, yet they still ruined it with the stupid catchphrase.

Also, possibly unpopular opinion: I really hope AEW doesn't hire Jim Johnston like a lot of internet fans want. I was never a fan of his.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
That is just basic story telling. Think more important is that AEW benefits more when Guevara wins. It would shock people, put Guevara over and spread the notion of AEW having hot new wrestlers people haven't seen yet.

People have seen Cody. He doesn't need a win. Him having to do some soul searching, while Guevara has the plucky underdog story, is more interesting.

Fantasy booking will be the death of me.

I missed this. And the answer's no. We're already telling this story with Kenny, and that's too much tbh. The guys you know can't all be losers out the gate.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
They should be careful. It's understandable not to want to be like the other companies and book themselves as invincible. But there are times to win and times to lose. Don't just give a loss up just to do it.
I getcha on them doing too many samey stories. But Cody eating a loss to put over a younger talent isn't exactly gonna read like that when he can get a wins in the following weeks. If anything it's a great move to get folks interested in following where Sammy goes after a high profile win right out of the gate.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
If they had to choose between putting over Guevara or Private Party in the first two weeks, I would go with the latter. There's more of a near-term upward trajectory where I could legitimately see Private Party go for the tag belts. Whereas there's really nowhere for Guevara to go. He wins, he faces Jericho (which would be a heel vs heel match-up) and loses and then you're building him up lower in the card. Seems like the same difference as just having him lose but have an impressive performance against Cody, without the expense of having your first big title contender lose in the build-up to his match.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
If they had to choose between putting over Guevara or Private Party in the first two weeks, I would go with the latter. There's more of a near-term upward trajectory where I could legitimately see Private Party go for the tag belts. Whereas there's really nowhere for Guevara to go. He wins, he faces Jericho (which would be a heel vs heel match-up) and loses and then you're building him up lower in the card. Seems like the same difference as just having him lose but have an impressive performance against Cody, without the expense of having your first big title contender lose in the build-up to his match.

This. Also, Cody's undefeated in singles matches. Don't start off snapping win streaks because it's "unpredictable" .

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'd want the build to the Full Gear title match being protected above all. What does it do for the build to have Cody lose? You want the champion to be the one potentially vulnerable, not the challenger. We can agree or disagree with Cody being chosen as the guy to face Jericho, but he's the guy so they should keep him strong so that when Jericho beats him, it means more and in turn eventually means more when somebody beats Jericho. I would agree, a Guevara win adds shock value but doesn't fit the overall picture they're building towards.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the build up needs to be so protected that Cody can't eat a loss to someone he's underestimating. His ego is clearly at play here. That's character work. It's a TV show with drama and character arcs still. That stuff has it's place within a larger narrative they want to convey. Even if this particular circumstance seems obvious I think the position they are putting these two people in is meant to be table setting for how they want some of the kayfabe level wins/losses stuff works and how match making comes from the results of that. More things are being conveyed here than just a build up to Cody vs Jericho.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I understand the desire for a shock value statement of Sammy beating Cody but as others have already said it's better to keep the title challenger strong.

And they need to keep at least one top face strong right now.

Page has been instantly demoted from the main title picture, he's not getting another shot until he strings a few major wins together. You've also got Omega on this pseudo losing streak, Mox is still out and for all we know Mox could be rushing back, which leaves himself open to another spell out.

Keeping Cody strong is the only thing to do at this point, he has to win, make Sammy look great in defeat but Cody has to win.

If Sammy wins what do you even do with him?

You shouldn't put him in the title match for winning just one match even if it is over Cody.

Who would he feud with? Spears? Who wins that match/feud? The guy who people think needs a win after losing to Cody or do you immediately beat the guy that beat Cody? Spears is already set to eat another loss to Mox should Mox be ready to go for October 9.

What's best right now is for Cody to win and Sammy to look great in defeat and establish himself as one to keep an eye on in the mid card in the imminent future.

If you wanna do the shock value thing and progress a storyline then have Sammy beat Omega instead.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
You guys have to remember -- they're establishing teirs. If Cody loses and the clear story being established is that Cody's mind isn't here he's getting ahead of himself that doesn't make Cody look bad. That makes Cody look distracted. You have Sammy lose to someone like Kenny to further establish power rankings within the roster.

Don't forget -- they're still establishing bedrock elements of what this show and cast is. They have to convey these things through the story as they become relevant.

If I'm wrong about this, then hey! Fine. Cody looking strong isn't exactly a negative either.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Also after thinking on who Sammy could face after Cody -- CIMA. He had a loss to Kenny. That has potential to be an interesting match up.

Last edited:

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
You guys have to remember -- they're establishing teirs. If Cody loses and the clear story being established is that Cody's mind isn't here he's getting ahead of himself that doesn't make Cody look bad. That makes Cody look distracted. You have Sammy lose to someone like Kenny to further establish power rankings within the roster.

As pointed out, if Cody loses, then they literally don't have a top baby face tier. As of now, he's really the only guy in that tier so they need to protect that. I would disagree that Cody losing because he's distracted doesn't make him look bad. It does, and it takes away from the build of the championship match, because if he can't beat an unknown, why would he be able to beat a dominant Jericho?

Really, how they've arrived at this already shows that they're different from WWE. Cody is the challenger because he has the best record. Not because he randomly attacked Jericho. Not because he won a random guantlet match or five way match. This style of booking already differentiates them from the competition. Frankly, Cody losing to Guevara IS WWE style booking. It favors shock value in the moment, and giving a win to a guy who in the follow-up is going to have to lose anyway, over logical booking. Don't get me wrong, I want unpredictable, but IMO that isn't the moment for it.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer says in the Observer that "Dynamite" was the name of the weekly TV show when Tony Khan fantasy booked wrestling as a kid (efed? TNM?)

Also says there are plans for a couple "big angles" for week one. No backstage sketches although things might happen backstage.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Meltzer says in the Observer that "Dynamite" was the name of the weekly TV show when Tony Khan fantasy booked wrestling as a kid (efed? TNM?)

Also says there are plans for a couple "big angles" for week one. No backstage sketches although thinks might happen backstage.

I anticipate the first challenger for the women's belt to come out after the match between Nyla and Riho, and for Moxley to be involved in something significant. He needs to be in the top 3 mix with Cody and Jericho. Yes, he's a former WWE guy, but he's still one of the hottest and most charismatic faces they have.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Eeeh, I used to hate a lot of those entrance starters, particularly the catch phrases. Booker T's theme was immediately recognisable, yet they still ruined it with the stupid catchphrase.

Also, possibly unpopular opinion: I really hope AEW doesn't hire Jim Johnston like a lot of internet fans want. I was never a fan of his.

Yeah, early 2000s WWE was particularly bad about that sort of thing. Austin's glass shatter or Jericho's countdown are among the very few entrance starters that I would consider good. They still do that sort of shit now way too much like with Seth Rollins theme who has had probably one of my favorite wrestler themes that has been tainted by the stupid "Burn It All Down" garbage at the start of it.

I also have what are probably unpopular views on wrestler entrance themes in that I think most of them are terrible, particularly most modern themes. I would say that every 9 out of 10 wrestler themes that have lyrics are hot garbage and SO many wrestler themes have lyrics now. One that I used to like was Bray Wyatt's theme but I feel like the only person in the world who hates the new version of his theme. It's such early 2000s sounding trash to me and I just think his entrance is way worse because of it.

Also, side tangent, I like The Fiend but I feel like people have lost their shit over The Fiend in a way that I don't understand. Excluding the entrance theme it's a clear improvement but that character is still essentially that character. It's a better executed version of that character which is cool but doesn't change the fact that some of the most boring matches I've seen in recent memory were Bray Wyatt matches.

I'm with you. I like Guevara but right now I have a difficult time viewing him as a top guy. Which raises the question of what other belts are they going to roll out? A women's tag belt seems inevitable and I assume they have to roll out some sort of Intercontinental title equivalent at some point, right? AEW has been kind of leaning into its WCW connection so do they roll out US, TV and Cruiserweight belts at some point? Do they try to one up WWE by also rolling out Women's equivalents to those belts? Either men or women do they have the roster size to support having that many belts? It's exciting to see a new company come together like this.

Anyway my point being that I don't think Guevara is quite there yet. This match feels to me like the equivalent of HHH defending the world title against Matt Hardy on Raw back in the early 2000s. It'll be a fun and exciting match but I wouldn't go into it expecting Guevara to come up with the win.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Cody already has a victory he shouldn't since he beat Shawn. That feud had more juice in it and they closed the book on it quick. Might as well keep his streak going until he loses to Jericho.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Also says there are plans for a couple "big angles" for week one. No backstage sketches although things might happen backstage.
One of the angles must be having Kenny turning heel by turning on the Young Bucks. Have Jericho pin Matt Jackson while Kenny is knocked out of the Ring and LAX take out Nick Jackson and proceed to beat the shit out of him in the ring. Then have Kenny run in and instead of scaring away the heels, have him watch intently while they continue (LAX and Jericho should have a confused look on their faces but should continue the beatdown) and then have Kenny join them in beating the shit out of Matt and Nick. The show should end with Kenny standing in the middle of the ring while the Bucks are at his feet beaten.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Shawn Spears should've went over, Cody is already made
I thought the same but because Mox was injured that threw away all plans and they had to go with Cody who was the one face that had the best record so far and have him beat Spears was the better decision at the time. The thing is that now Spears will most likely lose again vs Mox on October 9, so you need to build him up right away after that with some credible wins or else he actually is a good hand like Cody said and all that build up was for nothing.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think the Spears thing follows the same as with Guevara. Knowing the direction they've decided on Page and Omega, they really had no choice but for Cody to win that match because otherwise there is no challenger to Jericho. And the follow-up for Spears isn't going to be going after the title. I think their booking decision to have Pac go over rather than Spears was the right move. Pac you can buy as a legitimate top level heel, for Spears even with a win over Cody nobody is buying that yet.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
One of the angles must be having Kenny turning heel by turning on the Young Bucks. Have Jericho pin Matt Jackson while Kenny is knocked out of the Ring and LAX take out Nick Jackson and proceed to beat the shit out of him in the ring. Then have Kenny run in and instead of scaring away the heels, have him watch intently while they continue (LAX and Jericho should have a confused look on their faces but should continue the beatdown) and then have Kenny join them in beating the shit out of Matt and Nick. The show should end with Kenny standing in the middle of the ring while the Bucks are at his feet beaten.

Well, that would certainly be shocking but I'm not sure a good idea. I'm already a little iffy on the direction they've gone with Kenny, but taking one of their biggest, freshest stars and making him a heel right out of the gate when Jericho is already a dominant heel champion and Pac is another heel that has beaten Omega just doesn't seem like a good use for him. As we've been discussing with Cody, there's a bigger need for strong babyfaces. They're obviously delaying Omega's big push but he should probably not go heel right now.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Can you even call yourself a true fan if you aren't willing to watch a live show 4 days after everyone at 8 AM on a Sunday that's censored to accommodate morning time standards?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
True, I feel like it isn't completely over though. I could see Shawn going the route of claiming that Arn is the only reason Cody really won.

We're gonna get fuckery in the first ever AEW match with Spears running in to ensure Guevara winning? I'd prefer Guevara winning, Spears coming through the crowd and attacking Cody after the match is over.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We're gonna get fuckery in the first ever AEW match with Spears running in to ensure Guevara winning? I'd prefer Guevara winning, Spears coming through the crowd and attacking Cody after the match is over.

but if wins/losses really matter now, him losing to unknown Guevara should take Cody out of the main event of Full Gear

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
If it's happening constantly -- I can see that being a concern. I think trading wins as a tool for an interim story on the weekly show before the PPV works out fine and gives Sammy the rub to make him a compeitior in that upper middle card spot. And if he's trash in his match with Cody, then it's as simple as having him play up the heel aspects of his character and getting Cody to squash him in a rematch and cut a shit hot promo. Baby faces losing isn't some death sentence for that kind of character.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
Just have Spears come out to the bottom of the ramp mid-match with a chair and sit down. It keeps Spears going as a thorn in Cody's side and lets Guevara get a clean victory over a distracted Cody

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Say Sammy wins, who does Cody then have to beat to get the title shot back?

Sammy rematch? 50/50 booking. No-one benefits.
Spears? A third loss in a row.
Cima? Why would beating Cima mean something? Even downward spiralling Kenny beat Cima.
Janela? Same as Cima. Page? PAC?

There's nothing to be gained right now in Cody losing against Sammy, Cody is currently AEW's sole strong face and should be kept that way until he loses to Jericho. When Mox is back and/or Kenny sorts himself out then is a good time for Sammy to beat a guy on Cody's level. There's a lot of guys in AEW at the moment who have nowhere to go and beating them means nothing and having them beat a Cody is something that shouldn't happen unless they're being primed for a major push. I'm not seeing that with Sammy in the short term. Sammy should be beating guys like Sabian and Kiss to show that he stands out from that pack then gradually moved up.

Hell they've already done the Cody underestimates his opponent story with Darby too, they shouldn't do that story again so soon and Cody shouldn't be underestimating another guy again so soon after Darby.

I think people are being worked into thinking Sammy has a chance, it's an unusually good build with a story focus for a throwaway TV match, I think the match itself will just be Cody and Sammy going 15-20 mins and Cody wins simply because he's better.

Oct 27, 2017
PAC beats Hangman
Sammy beats Cody
PAC vs. Cody at Full Gear (title shot opportunity)
Sammy vs. Jericho at Full Gear (for the title)
Kenny vs. Mox at Full Gear
Hangman vs. MJF or something

I dunno, something along those lines. Could use this as a means of a MJF turn on Cody after losing to Hangman, maybe Cody wasn't there during the match and he comes out and costs Cody the match against PAC.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Hell they've already done the Cody underestimates his opponent story with Darby too, they shouldn't do that story again so soon and Cody shouldn't be underestimating another guy again so soon after Darby.
This is a fair point.
I think people are being worked into thinking Sammy has a chance, it's an unusually good build with a story focus for a throwaway TV match, I think the match itself will just be Cody and Sammy going 15-20 mins and Cody wins simply because he's better.
Perhaps you're right! I'm just thinking that it could work out fine as a story for both Sammy and Cody as something to get us to Full Gear. I don't think 50/50 is poison here if it's used as a tool for a longer story. Because eventually it naturally stops being 50/50 when they inevitably meet in the ring 1 on 1 for a third time, right? Unless it's a draw lol

I personally think Cody getting caught off guard by Sammy and us seeing potential in those lower card, less visible guys makes for a more interesting story than just having Cody look unstopable until he reaches Jericho.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
but if wins/losses really matter now, him losing to unknown Guevara should take Cody out of the main event of Full Gear

Not necessarily. I'm good with the logic either way: the match has already been signed and is happening regardless of what happens between now and then, or Cody gets taken out of the match because of incurring a loss that worsens his record. I'm fine either way and won't go into complain mode because "But AEW said wah wah wah and it needs to fit my understanding of what that means!"

Just have Spears come out to the bottom of the ramp mid-match with a chair and sit down. It keeps Spears going as a thorn in Cody's side and lets Guevara get a clean victory over a distracted Cody

That's a decent idea but gives me WWE vibes of that time period when they kept going back to the DISTRACTED BY SOMEONE ELSE'S ENTRANCE MUSIC well.

impiri

Oct 25, 2017
That's a decent idea but gives me WWE vibes of that time period when they kept going back to the DISTRACTED BY SOMEONE ELSE'S ENTRANCE MUSIC well.
Yeeeeeah, good point. I just want a way for Spears to avoid getting nothing out of that first feud other than a match where he's the third most interesting person involved

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Since someone mentioned tiers and ranks in AEW earlier, here is how I currently see the singles roster.

Main Event

Jericho
Kenny
Moxley
Cody

Upper Mid (Will get main event matches from time to time until they fully step up)

PAC
Hangman
Pentagón
Fenix

(I know they've only worked as a team in AEW but Lucha Bros are guys that work well as singles too, that's why they're included)

Mid card

MJF
Spears
Sammy
Dustin
Janela
Sabian
Darby
Havoc
Cima

Lower

OC
Kiss
Cutler
Nakazawa
Avalon

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
This is a fair point.

Perhaps you're right! I'm just thinking that it could work out fine as a story for both Sammy and Cody as something to get us to Full Gear. I don't think 50/50 is poison here if it's used as a tool for a longer story. Because eventually it naturally stops being 50/50 when they inevitably meet in the ring 1 on 1 for a third time, right? Unless it's a draw lol

I personally think Cody getting caught off guard by Sammy and us seeing potential in those lower card, less visible guys makes for a more interesting story than just having Cody look unstopable until he reaches Jericho.
Since someone mentioned tiers and ranks in AEW earlier, here is how I currently see the singles roster.

Main Event

Jericho
Kenny
Moxley
Cody

Upper Mid (Will get main event matches from time to time until they fully step up)

PAC
Hangman
Pentagón
Fenix

(I know they've only worked as a team in AEW but Lucha Bros are guys that work well as singles too, that's why they're included)

Mid card

MJF
Spears
Sammy
Dustin
Janela
Sabian
Darby
Havoc
Cima

Lower

OC
Kiss
Cutler
Nakazawa
Avalon

My boy Brandon Cutler is a mid-carder, man! You're lumping him in with the Librarians and body oil man? :(

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Cutler needs to do something with his look cuz as it stands now he kinda reminds me of the default wrestler from those old N64 games. lmao

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I like generally like Cutler, how they're billing him for this and play D&D, too. But I'm just saying he could do a little to stand out, is all.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Cutler is most certainly a jobber and looks like one too. Just like it was pointed out with the Cody/Sammy build, they're just doing an unusually good job putting some effort to build up what have traditionally just been throwaway TV matches.

As far as involving Spears in the Cody/Sammy match, I don't like it. Maybe or maybe not they go back to Cody and Spears sometime, but now doesn't seem the time. Cody won definitively, and they're moving to a feud with Jericho. Spears has Moxley to focus on now. Spears costing Cody the Guevara match starts to get way too convulated when there's no way to pay that off anytime soon.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
This is a fair point.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

I look at Cody vs Sammy like I look at Undertaker Mania matches of old.

For me, if Sammy goes out and loses but puts on a killer match with Cody and looks good in defeat then Sammy gets the rub.

That's one thing I appreciate about a lot of NJPW matches, the loser very rarely comes out looking bad and it's typically a case of one mistake was made or the other guy was slightly better on this particular day. Ideally this is what I want from AEW.

I suppose it depends on what you value more, the performance or the result.

I think the performance does more for Sammy than the result in the eyes of new fans.

If they give him the win then should he get a title shot? Beating Cody would give him his first win in AEW. Should someone get a title shot after winning just one match? Does the first win being against Cody matter more than say if he beat Sabian? Obviously it does but we don't have clear defined rules other than "wins and losses matters" right now.

Jericho had to beat Omega.
Page had to win a battle royale.

How much does the context of the matches, the competitors in the matches, weigh into who gets title shots?

This is why I keep coming back to that I'd rather Sammy lose in a valiant, star making effort. If he does that then he'll stand out and work himself out of the mid card

If he beats Cody then there's no where to go in the immediate but down, AEW already has Hangman and PAC and tag team wrestling filling up the cards.

People remember matches for the moments, drama and performances rather than the result.

If Sammy wins but goes nowhere then back to the mid card as would happen right now, people will eventually forget beating Cody ever happened and it will have been all for nothing.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Just wanna say another couple of things on the Sammy/Cody thing.

I'm not dead set against Sammy beating Cody but if they're gonna do it then they better have a good plan for both guys coming out of it. I don't want it to mean nothing for Sammy but I don't think they should do anything to hurt the viability of Cody's title challenge either so if Cody is gonna lose then he's gotta do something impressive in the weeks building up to Full Gear for me to buy into him again. Maybe he has to beat PAC and Hangman to get the shot back.

Something I completely forgot about....

Jericho has a title defence scheduled for Dynamite in 3-4 weeks, so if they were gonna have Sammy beat Cody I guess they would do Sammy vs Jericho on Dynamite.

Status
Not open for further replies.