• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Speaking of, there's apparently some heat from a small indie having Luchasaurus telling them he's backing out.

Looks to be a bit of a nothing burger? I'm not how big a draw he's been, if he's gone previously etc. Looks like he refunded them everything but all that promotion etc.

iirc they have been complainin about that for a while. I think Luchasaurus pulled out himself though. The reason being related to AEW but not their decision. That's just if I remember right.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
By the way, my early Dynamite predictions:

-Cody over Guevara: Sammy is made to look like a million bucks in the loss, but Cody gets a strong win
-MJF over Cutler: MJF gets good mic time as part of this and a decisive win, but they build some groundwork for Cutler as a sympathetic underdog
-Pac vs Page: I think whatever the result, this is going to build to a larger blow-off at Full Gear. So, something like a time limit draw, double count out, or Page snaps and gets himself DQ'd.
-Riho over Rose: They'll play off the previous booking of Rose being physically dominant but her cockiness and inexperience opens her up to get surprised by Riho again.
-Jericho/??? over the Elite: Kenny takes the pin building on the angle they're doing with him/Moxley. Perhaps Kenny gets involved with Moxley during his segment earlier in the show which furthers the narrative that Omega is only focused on Mox (also this is a reason why I wouldn't do a similar angle regarding Cody/Jericho).

As for the mystery partners, I am still going to go with Santana and Ortiz, but the surprise element is going to fall flat since we've all been assuming it was then even before they were officially revealed to be part of AEW. That they've kept the identifies as a mystery makes me wonder if it's actually going to be somebody else, but then I can't think of who would otherwise merit surprise billing in the first main event of their TV program. Can anybody think of anyone else that are both available and would actually feel like a big deal?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Speaking of, there's apparently some heat from a small indie having Luchasaurus telling them he's backing out.

Looks to be a bit of a nothing burger? I'm not how big a draw he's been, if he's gone previously etc. Looks like he refunded them everything but all that promotion etc.

Yeah it happens somewhat often in these situations. Of course as the promoter you're going to be upset. The worker is going to do what's best for him in the end, he's about to have his career made. Pissing off an independent promotion in Alabama is probably worth it I'd have to say.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
As for the mystery partners, I am still going to go with Santana and Ortiz, but the surprise element is going to fall flat since we've all been assuming it was then even before they were officially revealed to be part of AEW. That they've kept the identifies as a mystery makes me wonder if it's actually going to be somebody else, but then I can't think of who would otherwise merit surprise billing in the first main event of their TV program. Can anybody think of anyone else that are both available and would actually feel like a big deal?

If the criteria are:

- Aren't under contract anywhere else
- True mysteries (haven't been linked to AEW yet)
- Would get a big pop

Picking are REALLY slim. Because the crowd is a bit more of a casual crowd, they aren't gonna pop for like........ Aussie Open.

Makes me think they're going for nostalgia, and Rock and Roll Express have both GCW and NJPW bookings this year and even worked LAX in GCW. Just saying

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
If the criteria are:

- Would get a big pop

Picking are REALLY slim. Because the crowd is a bit more of a casual crowd, they aren't gonna pop for like........ Aussie Open.

Makes me think they're going for nostalgia, and Rock and Roll Express have both GCW and NJPW bookings this year and even worked LAX in GCW. Just saying

I had thought about them, but ehhh.... a couple 60 year old guys, who really don't have a lot of mainstream value, when some people are already put off by a 48-year-old Jericho, seems like that wouldn't go over well.

It probably is, and should be LAX. They're likely headed to a face off with the Young Bucks sooner than later anyway so this plants more seeds to that. I just don't get why they're keeping with the mystery partner angle.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If the criteria are:

- Would get a big pop

Rock and Roll Express would be a good way to have everyone laughing at AEW.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
jericho is already in the match and they just booked Arn Andersonfor a huge run in spot
I'm fine with Arn doing a run in/out of ring stuff, spinebuster looked good.

Putting two guys that are that fricking old in the actual main event of your first show? Nah.

I've enjoyed their modern matches like them vs LAX but they absolutely shouldn't be in AEW.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor

Cody and Brandi will also be there
EFf_ineW4AA1fMc

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Cody knows a marketing/goodwill building opportunity when he sees one, that's for sure.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'm fine with Arn doing a run in/out of ring stuff, spinebuster looked good.

Putting two guys that are that fricking old in the actual main event of your first show? Nah.

I've enjoyed their modern matches like them vs LAX but they absolutely shouldn't be in AEW.

AA doing a run in during a middle of the card match is quite a bit different than having two 60 something year old guys come out as the big surprise of your main event of your first TV show.

Oct 27, 2017
My main concern with PnP is how closely it sounds to BNP, a far right racist UK political party. I can't help but make the association ever time I imagine it.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Viewership is going to be interesting when the only draw of the company with any legit name value for the more casual (potential) audience is Jericho. Cody's being undefeated in singles matches and the Bucks positions don't mean a whole lot outside of that audience that's been following AEW which is only a relatively small portion of a potential audience so either losing is just whatever, won't hurt them.

Would be worth it just to see Cornette blow a gasket.
Don't think he'd begrudge them getting a potentially sweet payday at this point unless they take part in something super stupid.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Cody's being undefeated in singles matches and the Bucks positions don't mean a whole lot outside of that audience that's been following AEW which is only a relatively small portion of a potential audience so either losing is just whatever, won't hurt them.

I'd argue that's exactly why they need to be booked strong. The mainstream audience isn't familiar with them the same way wrestling enthusiasts are. It WOULD hurt their mainstream credibility if these guys who are rightfully supposed to be big deals, are immediately presented as losers. Especially in a promotion that is going to highlight that winning matches is actually important.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I'm thinking we should probably close this thread and move the discussion over to the AEW on TNT thread within the next day or two, if that's ok with everyone.

Think it's been long overdue for a new thread anyways.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking we should probably close this thread and move the discussion over to the AEW on TNT thread within the next day or two, if that's ok with everyone.

Think it's been long overdue for a new thread anyways.

As long as we can always have a thread just for AEW discussion, I'm down with this idea.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
What if AEW forces WWE to get good. What then.
They already put NXT on USA live and expanded it to two hours where they're now busting their ass every week compared to the more "solid but we're just kind of waiting for the next takeover" tone the show always seemed to project before.

So I'd say AEW already did with that. Also a lot of underused guys are getting pushes out of nowhere treatment right now on the main roster which I'd say competition has helped with a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.