• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly don't think Omega, the Bucks and Cody can carry a promotion that expects to do anything mainstream they are super ultra cheesy.

Omega's weird whisper promo thing looks real bad IMO

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
LoL people really think NJPW is going to suck because the Elite left.... what kind of fans are these, NJPW was great before them and will stay great after. even if Omega ends up leaving.

LittleTokyo

Oct 30, 2017
I just hope AEW compells WWE to present a more compelling product at its most mainstream level(RAW, Smackdown). I want to see AEW and all the other promotions out there currently thrive and have this be a new golden era of wrestling.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Omega was the only real valuable one , and he is one of the reasons NJPW is more popular , but The Elite as a whole really didn't do anything worthwhile (and the less said about Cody, the better). I am just reacting to what some funny fans say about how NJPW is going to crumble because they left.... which is a funny joke really.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Modern WWE sort of reminds me of AAA in the nineties, with their bloated roster and creating/copyrighting their workers names, limiting their ability to draw outside of AAA. I'm not surprised a promotion like AEW is springing up.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
It's not even a matter of judging it by a modern lens. All The AE did was rip off ECW with way shittier wrestling. The product just wasn't good but because Heyman didn't have the money Vince did WWF exploded while actively stealing ideas, storylines, and talent from ECW.
There' nothing wrong with that if it worked, which it did

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Omega was the only real valuable one , and he is one of the reasons NJPW is more popular , but The Elite as a whole really didn't do anything worthwhile (and the less said about Cody, the better). I am just reacting to what some funny fans say about how NJPW is going to crumble because they left.... which is a funny joke really.

Hilarious. The success and failure of New Japan goes way beyond what Omega or the Elite do.

FFS I have seen New Japan implode before when it had amazing wrestlers on the books.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Hilarious. The success and failure of New Japan goes way beyond what Omega or the Elite do.

FFS I have seen New Japan implode before when it had amazing wrestlers on the books.

Their Japanese audience will be fine. Okada, Naito, and Tanahashi are there.

Their western audience on the other hand, the one with the sea of Bullet Club shirts at the US G1 show, might have an issue. It's the reason why they're trying to push Switchblade to the moon.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their Japanese audience will be fine. Okada, Naito, and Tanahashi are there.

Their western audience on the other hand, the one with the sea of Bullet Club shirts at the US G1 show, might have an issue. It's the reason why they're trying to push Switchblade to the moon.

I think Jay's a great wrestler, but he's not anywhere near as charismatic as Kenny. Juice might have been a smarter bet- even if Juice is a notch below Jay or Kenny in-ring (still very good though) , he's got the chasima.

The AAA comparison listed above is very interesting- I remember AAA's shitty La Parka ripoff. Penta is also a victim of that AAA.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
With word on how much they're offering wrestlers, the Elite guys (Bucks, Cody, and Omega) might not even be the focus of AEW in terms of drawing power. I mean when Jericho says AEW offered him the best deal he's ever gotten in wrestling, you know they're doing something right.

Oct 28, 2017
With word on how much they're offering wrestlers, the Elite guys (Bucks, Cody, and Omega) might not even be the focus of AEW in terms of drawing power. I mean when Jericho says AEW offered him the best deal he's ever gotten in wrestling, you know they're doing something right.
I think their best bet would be to poach one or two big guys from WWE who aren't being used right. It would grab some headlines and legitimize the brand in the eyes of fans who won't be familiar with a bunch of ex-NJPW/ROH/indie dudes.

Rusev seems to be upset about his contract and standing in the company about once a year, maybe AEW could capitalize on the next one and snatch him up. If they can offer dudes like Joe and Nakamura similar schedules with better money, they could probably poach that caliber of wrestler.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I think Jay's a great wrestler, but he's not anywhere near as charismatic as Kenny. Juice might have been a smarter bet- even if Juice is a notch below Jay or Kenny in-ring (still very good though) , he's got the chasima.

The AAA comparison listed above is very interesting- I remember AAA's shitty La Parka ripoff. Penta is also a victim of that AAA.

La Parka (LA Park), Mosco de la Merced (now X-Fly), then there is Psicosis (same guy who was in WCW), El Alebrije, and Histeria (Super Crazy), who are up to their 3rd version. They even considered using Black Abyss as a full replacement for Abismo Negro (having him appear as Abismo Negro and Abismo Negro II on untelevised house shows) until Abismo was found dead in a river.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

Dw45XxAXQAExVS5.jpg:small

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
We asked Cody how he feels All Elite Wrestling will differ from WWE's brand of over-produced corporate Sports Entertainment .

"I grew up in the world of sports entertainment myself because my main career experience is with WWE," he said. "But when I say sports entertainment, I have a love for the side of the business that skews more towards sports. You find that a lot in New Japan Pro Wrestling, you find that a lot in early 90's WCW that I am always notoriously raving about, I find it a lot in my father's product, the same with Bill Watts – it's more of the sports side of it. Pro wrestling is absolutely sports entertainment but it's also pro wrestling. I think that's the direction that we'd like to lean."
At the Double or Nothing Rally earlier this month, Cody stated that wins and losses will be a big part of All Elite Wrestling. Digging into that topic further, Cody revealed that AEW is considering the possibility of featuring win/loss records and rankings.

"This is preliminary, but I can tell you that we have talked about rankings and we have talked about records. As a kid, we probably all read Pro Wrestling Illustrated and the different mags where they'd have the rankings. Everything we'd like to do is an effort to engage the audience. Not in a way that insults their intelligence. It is something that's been discussed. I can't confirm that we'll do records, or we'll do an analytical take on it, but I've seen some mock ups for some pretty cool stuff."

"If you really think about it, somebody like Chris Jericho who just signed with All Elite Wrestling, that's a really cool record to take a look at. Analytically, it's a really unique outlook on his career, it's incredibly impressive. New Japan does it in their own unique way, with Tag League and with G1 and you notice the fans get really into that. They want something they can sink their teeth into. I can't confirm but we're definitely looking at records and standings, it's a very strong possibility."
https://www.sescoops.com/cody-aew-win-loss-records-rankings/

Dec 29, 2017
It's starting to sound like AEW is going to have a G1 type of competition. I'm so glad to hear what he's saying. I just hope he can back it up.

Hopefully if they can get their TV deal done by February and start airing in March/April, they can start a tournament for their titles. With the finals for the championships at Double or Nothing. It would be a good way to introduce the wrestlers and start feuds.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully if they can get their TV deal done by February and start airing in March/April, they can start a tournament for their titles. With the finals for the championships at Double or Nothing. It would be a good way to introduce the wrestlers and start feuds.

I wouldn't expect them to start airing until closer to the end of the year, if not early 2020.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I hope they can keep the buzz going with just 1 or 2 shows. A whole year is a long time to just have their talent sit around.

The plan is three shows. Double or Nothing, the Jacksonville show in July, then another Chicago show in September. Then they'll start TV in the fall.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be awesome if they do some serious tournaments in AEW. I appreciate hunter trying to put some on in nxt and stuff but most of them are just 5-10 minute matches at best until the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.