• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No writers, huh? So the workers got creative control over their characters & what they say? Oh, that's gonna go over so well with the ego's the wrestling business breeds if that's the case.

This is how shit went before the modern era of WWE and...well...OK, it wasn't perfect, but it was way better than what we're getting now.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE
Cody says AEW isn't hiring writers: "We don't need to micro-manage and we certainly don't need to script a great deal of the product we're planning."

giphy.gif

I seriously wonder how this goes down when negotiating for a TV deal

Oct 28, 2017
Just as well. The use of Mike and Maria has been disappointing to say the least.

Like I get it was a slow start with Mike going to rehab and Maria getting pregnant, but even after that they've continued to give them nothing to do.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Did wcw have writers?
Does New Japan have writers?
No to both. Seems like some posters are conflating writing and booking.

I think we are talking about semantics. What did you call the creative team in the early 1990s WWF? Vince was the booker. But there was other creative.
A booking team? They certainly aren't writers if they aren't writing.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
AEW will obviously have a booker and direction for each of its wrestlers. Like Cody said, there will be "bullet points", but there will not be scripted promos like WWE where what is said is written down to the letter (except for guys like Cena).

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sign Aussie Open, you cowards. I'm scared WWE will sign then for NXT UK, or whatever Australia expansion they have rumored.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
[QUOTE

I seriously wonder how this goes down when negotiating for a TV deal

why would that be a bullet point when negotiating a tv deal?

at least theey tried out WWE. Wasn't Mike in rehab?

There were writers in the 90s. I'm not saying you need to have 25 writers or that promos need to be scripted. But you generally need someone to write out the shows.

of course they will. All promotions have a booker. The point Cody is making is that he doesn't want a team of writers who dictate what the wrestlers do. He wants the wrestlers to be able to have input in a story and be more involved in the creativee direction. In WWE, the current creative atmosphere is that thee writeers create storylines for thee wrestlers and the wrestleers have to act out the storyline how the writers wrote them and repeat the lines for verbatim how it's written down. Wrestlers in WWE get very little input in the direction of a story or what kind of story they can do unless you are a top TOP guy in WWE.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
We are talking about the same thing. I am not going to argue about the semantics of it.
No we aren't. You're the one who said doing a two hour weekly show without writers wasn't feasible, so why exactly isn't it? There's no reason to believe that just because Cody said the wrestlers will be the writers that that means it'll be the wild west with wrestlers doing whatever the fuck they want and no-one laying shows out.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
If there's no writers, isn't everyone just gonna argue over who gets to go over?

No? This has nothing to do with the agenting or booking matches. You lot realize that modern WWE is in the minority of promotions when it comes to having writers, right? AEW will have a booking committee of Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks, and Tony Khan, with everything having to pass through Khan. Everything will be booked out, probably many months in advance, and the wrestlers will be given bullet points to cover in promos to deliver in their own way. Just the same way they did it in the old days and still do in many promotions today. God, one of the biggest complaints people have with the WWE is the over scripted promos, that's thanks to the writers, who are the ones writing them.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
No? This has nothing to do with the agenting or booking matches. You lot realize that modern WWE is in the minority of promotions when it comes to having writers, right? AEW will have a booking committee of Cody Rhodes, the Young Bucks, and Tony Khan, with everything having to pass through Khan. Everything will be booked out, probably many months in advance, and the wrestlers will be given bullet points to cover in promos to deliver in their own way. Just the same way they did it in the old days and still do in many promotions today. God, one of the biggest complaints people have with the WWE is the over scripted promos, that's thanks to the writers, who are the ones writing them.

I know this is all premature, but assuming that AEW does decent business, gains a plush TV deal, and establishes a secondary presence in the market, and using the principle of no scripted promos -- will that force WWE to soften their stance on the scripted promos? I find them distractingly awful. Have the wrestler complained about this format? I think bullet pointing is the way to go. Lay out a feud, explain their grievance with their opponent, announce the venue, and if a title defense is involved, go into why they'll be the next champion.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017

Wait what? I didn't know that!

why would that be a bullet point when negotiating a tv deal?

at least theey tried out WWE. Wasn't Mike in rehab?

of course they will. All promotions have a booker. The point Cody is making is that he doesn't want a team of writers who dictate what the wrestlers do. He wants the wrestlers to be able to have input in a story and be more involved in the creativee direction. In WWE, the current creative atmosphere is that thee writeers create storylines for thee wrestlers and the wrestleers have to act out the storyline how the writers wrote them and repeat the lines for verbatim how it's written down. Wrestlers in WWE get very little input in the direction of a story or what kind of story they can do unless you are a top TOP guy in WWE.

I guess Jericho will be heavily involved in the overall creative process.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer is saying that no one in WWE who requests a release right now is expected to get it.

He also says that they have told certain indie talents that if they show WWE an offer on paper from another company, they'll match it, or even double it if the talent agrees to sign on the spot.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meltzer is saying that no one in WWE who requests a release right now is expected to get it.

He also says that they have told certain indie talents that if they show WWE an offer on paper from another company, they'll match it, or even double it if the talent agrees to sign on the spot.

Imagine Kenny Omega showing a ridiculous offer from AEW/NJPW, only to Vince offering him the double and more

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017

Are they trying to sign the whole world just to prevent them from signing with AEW?

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
For something I've seen argued to have no prospects (with TNA being their ceiling or something), AEW sure seems to have compelled WWE to resort to drastic measures.

Provided this ain't misinformation.

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir..._revival_asked_for_their_release_after_their/

Seems like The Revival asked for their releases too.

They definitely are a in a position to test the waters in other companies, after all the praise that they got in NXT, they were definitely misused in the main roster
Fuck yes, I'm ready for memorable tag matches again.

Are they trying to sign the whole world just to prevent them from signing with AEW?

That's pretty much what they did to the entire UK market in like the span of a year.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For something I've seen argued to have no prospects (with TNA being their ceiling or something), AEW sure seems to have compelled WWE to resort to drastic measures.

Provided this ain't misinformation.

The WWE has always done this, like the examples mentioned above of the WWE hiring lots of indie wrestlers from the UK to stop an upcoming promotion to gain momentum. So in that regard, is normal that they are doing this after a billionaire is announcing that they are going to start a new promotion with chances of a tv deal and hiring some of the most popular wrestlers in the business

I recall that the WWE hired mr perfect in 2002 just to stop an upcoming company from gaining momentum lol

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
PAC was basically the template of of the timeline of someone leaving WWE to go to AEW.

'let 'em rot'

Status
Not open for further replies.