• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
random indie fuckboys about to be making more than most main roster performers

i'm sure locker room morale is going to be just awesome at that company

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
WWE already underpays its talent compared to the revenue it makes, and they just signed a stupidly lucrative deal with Fox.

If anything, rather than creating animosity, it's going to force WWE to step its game up when it it comes time to re-sign people.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys expect AEW to be Impact-tier or exceed it?
Qualitywise? Probably better.

They're looking for a real network deal (not like landing on some obscure channel apparently), hopefully they can get the production values to match it though I would be willing to obviously cut them some slack on that in their first year.

With all of this money being thrown around now, can't help but think about the possibility of it creating some resentment among the people already on the roster in terms of their salary.

Viper is supposedly singing with NXT UK for a salary that already exceeds all the other women on that roster, just because AEW showed interest in her. Have to think that a few people may not be too happy about that.

I mean the wwe talent has buy out their contracts or get themselves fired.

All the women should really just walk out in a power move, it is in their best interest, the gap is just too big to wait another contract negotiation.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I mean the wwe talent has buy out their contracts or get themselves fired.

All the women should really just walk out in a power move, it is in their best interest, the gap is just too big to wait another contract negotiation.
Thing is, plenty of wrestlers have walked away from WWE mid contract and have had no issues in the subsequent lawsuits (most didn't get that far as WWE had to concede pre-trial), because everyone is a private contractor.

It is just a question on how well you can afford a good lawyer.

Thing is, plenty of wrestlers have walked away from WWE mid contract and have had no issues in the subsequent lawsuits (most didn't get that far as WWE had to concede pre-trial), because everyone is a private contractor.

It is just a question on how well you can afford a good lawyer.

Yup, Rey Misterio proved that you don't even need good money to win the dispute. That Pac didn't went there worries me that they have changed something, but the private contracting have been their undoing in the past.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a website I can find WWE wrestlers contract status?

Curious to see who's deal is up soon.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Rival WCW in its heyday?

Not sure they are going for that same type of product but we will see. The focus might be more on the in-ring quality, which wasn't really the case for either WwE or WCW during the attitude era. The biggest question for me is what AEW's storytelling look like. Will it be like New Japan? ROH with a bigger budget?

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Meltzer is saying that no one in WWE who requests a release right now is expected to get it.

He also says that they have told certain indie talents that if they show WWE an offer on paper from another company, they'll match it, or even double it if the talent agrees to sign on the spot.

Its a shame that Kevin Nash is retired

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious where Kenny Omega will end up. Heard his deal is up Jan 31 with Japan.

Feb 1st will be exciting.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Curious where Kenny Omega will end up. Heard his deal is up Jan 31 with Japan.

Feb 1st will be exciting.
One of the recent episodes of BTE basically teased at the end that Kenny would be going to AEW. I'd be shocked if he goes anywhere else.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I expect WWE to come in and buy everything up in 2 years when it all falls apart.

Won't have the longevity of something like TNA.

klonere

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's just a gimmick. Tranquilo

It's a money mark promotion that'll get a 1 year TV deal against a company getting money from the two biggest networks in the US for many many years, that have effectively unlimited money to spend on talent and that will soon have sub-brand promotions on three continents to maintain a strangehold on the development of new talent.

It's already over guys, it's cute you think this could ever work.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Vince is going to have Cody back in the Stardust costume by the end of next year and The Bucks will be jobbing to Lucha House Party on 205 Live.

Tony "The Mark" Khan will fold like a house of cards once network execs see the audiences getting smaller and smaller from Double or Nothing onwards and he realizes the only channel they're going to get is one less than five people have heard of it and its on in the dead of night and drawing sub 0.3 ratings.

Why would anyone want to go to AEW? TNA failed, Lucha Underground failed, they would just be putting themselves in another hole when they could go to WWE and make guaranteed good money.

Wrestling fans will never get a big business alternative to the WWE, the conditions for that sort of thing to manifest have long passed and the sooner they accept that, the easier it will be on them.

The WWE have everything they need to swat away AEW at every turn. This may be their dream job but its not reality.

All kidding aside, I think its got a better chance than people think. Klonere's post though made me wonder whats the bleakest outlook I could have thought about and typed out.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm less concerned about the quality of the wrestling and more concerned there isn't an audience for what the Young Bucks, Old Man Jericho and Cody Rhodes have to sell. I've read Jericho's books and he has loads of cheesy-as-fuck ideas and the Bucks/Cody, well...I'm just concerned it's going to come out and be this weird parody of wrestling (which is of course a weird parody of real combat sports) like Lucha Underground that will have a bunch of buzz in it's first few years before it dwindles.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm less concerned about the quality of the wrestling and more concerned there isn't an audience for what the Young Bucks, Old Man Jericho and Cody Rhodes have to sell. I've read Jericho's books and he has loads of cheesy-as-fuck ideas and the Bucks/Cody, well...I'm just concerned it's going to come out and be this weird parody of wrestling (which is of course a weird parody of real combat sports) like Lucha Underground that will have a bunch of buzz in it's first few years before it dwindles.

This is a concern I have too and is probably the one I focus on the most. Can they attract a larger audience than the ones that go to Indy shows and watch New Japan World. If they are going on a high tier cable company, they are going to be expected to do that.

When the story broke out on AEW, Dave said if they got a TV deal that the "Goal is Mid South Wrestling vibe ". And that it will be the exact opposite of BTE. But nothing has shown me that they are capable of achieving that style seeing as how they are always tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
If this all pans out and they succeed, one day in our lives we're gonna see Goldberg vs. AJ Styles. It's gonna be surreal.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't get my hopes up on Styles. Five years ago or so he probably would have been all in for AEW to try to reignite that spark from TNA but now AJ is 42, making good money and has a high spot on Mcmahon's roster. He's going to finish out his WWE tenure and retire to be with his family.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
If this all pans out and they succeed, one day in our lives we're gonna see Goldberg vs. AJ Styles. It's gonna be surreal.

If they get Goldberg, it doesn't have to be in a wrestling capacity, he's done color commentary for a number of MMA promotions before. I feel that would be a better use for him given his age, and they can always do the retired color guy stands up for the nonwrestler announcer angle if he wants to get in the ring once in a blue moon and have a match.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Tonight the role of Sunny will be played by klonere.
ciC1dDM.gif

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Rival WCW in its heyday?

That would be hard to do (I'm assuming you mean "Formation of the NWO" time period). I'm betting they will do better than Impact is doing, and probably better than it did when it was TNA. Not having a complete failure like Russo writing sub-Jerry Springer crap already gives many people hope.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Do you guys expect AEW to be Impact-tier or exceed it?
Greatly exceed TNA/Impact. WWE hasn't had this kind of reaction to a competing company since WCW. AEW is for real.

It will certainly enjoy some initial success that will dwarf what TNA was doing, but obviously the real test will be if they can sustain a company like that over time. It will be a legitimate challenge to last as long as TNA/Impact has, with their roach-like super power to live on no matter what.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Wouldn't get my hopes up on Styles. Five years ago or so he probably would have been all in for AEW to try to reignite that spark from TNA but now AJ is 42, making good money and has a high spot on Mcmahon's roster. He's going to finish out his WWE tenure and retire to be with his family.
Yup. There's literally zero reason for AJ to leave.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
AJ has always been a guy who's openly said he'll go where the money is but at his age and considering he seems happy with what WWE does with him, I don't think he'd jump to AEW unless they offered considerably more for him than WWE would. So he's basically in a place where he could say "I'm making enough money" and stick with WWE until retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.