• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like Taeler Hendrix is lobbying pretty hard to be signed to AEW on twitter, I don't know much about her but I'm assuming that would be a good hire?

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017

My man Dominique Wilkins congratulating Joey Janela??!?!

What a time to be alive

Oct 25, 2017
9oEHJp1.png
Should have put a pic of Vince

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Bro, WWE was always aimed at children. Yes, even during the Attitude Era.

Totally. That stuff was written to appeal to 12-14 year olds who want to watch shows that make them feel like big boys. I don't understand why people think adding more promos about 'puppies' and 'pie' would make the product better.

If by "edgier" you mean blood, boobs and chair shots to the head then no, thankfully. WWE was a good promotion in the late 90s in SPITE of that gross shit, not because of it.

I think they got a lot of people on board because of it. Late 90s-early 2000 was all about being edgy. WWE rode on the coattails of a culture that also made Limp Bizkit and COPS successful. Wrestling was so popular in that era that it was able to get by when the product sucked (people don't seem to remember a lot of the garbage from the attitude era). It's not like now where the ratings really take a hit when things aren't humming.

Oct 28, 2017
Jeff Gerstmann opened up the news section of this week's Giant Bombcast by talking about All Elite Wrestling, and it's pretty cool to see how excited he is for it.

It's also pretty telling when you can get Jeff excited about something in the world of wrestling these days.
Speaking of Jeff, his Twitter postings just taught me a whole lot about Lars Sullivan

That dude can fuck off forever

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
Wait. Does WWE not pay the bills when someone gets hurt in action?

I recall hearing that they'll cover any wrestling injury that occurs at their events. IIRC, they do not cover things like ongoing back pain, bodies breaking down, etc. So it sounds like AEW may not be that different? It was a while ago that I heard that and I don't recall the source, so don't take that as gospel.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

target audience for attitude era was obviously drunken college bros. thing is, the most successful kids products are ALWAYS aimed at college aged bros. because kids want to be cool. has always been the case, always will be the case. this isn't hard.

shockingly, making a wrestling product with pee pee and kaka jokes where the main character is a 40 year old dressed like a 4 year old has been bleeding viewers, ESPECIALLY younger viewers. the main audience for wwe today looks like this:

hqdefaultw3d1f.jpg

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm interested in getting back into wrestling but modern WWE seems pretty gross to me. So I'd be up for a new league, new faces.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I recall hearing that they'll cover any wrestling injury that occurs at their events. IIRC, they do not cover things like ongoing back pain, bodies breaking down, etc. So it sounds like AEW may not be that different? It was a while ago that I heard that and I don't recall the source, so don't take that as gospel.
If they offer health insurance, it would help cover the costs for long term/on going issues that many wrestlers deal with. Even things like illness. Not just for specific incidents that occur at shows. So it would be very different actually.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Christopher Daniels is getting a nice payday out of this.

Dude deserves it.

Wait. Does WWE not pay the bills when someone gets hurt in action?

They do, and they never cut people who are injured (I think there was one exception in the mid 2000s), so they continue making their downside while they recover, and only release them after they are fully cleared to return to the ring (if they were someone on the bubble). Hell, they take guys who's careers are over due to injury- like Jason Jordan and Droz- and move them into other roles in the company- with Droz being in charge of Online stuff for a decade and Jason Jordan being an agent

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
If they offer health insurance, it would help cover the costs for long term/on going issues that many wrestlers deal with. Even things like illness. Not just for specific incidents that occur at shows. So it would be very different actually.

I was referring to the tweet posted above that had Cody saying 'anyone hurt in an AEW ring will be "covered"'. It suggests that only in-ring injuries will be covered, but of course I don't know the details of AEW health plan or if they will even have one.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They do, and they never cut people who are injured (I think there was one exception in the mid 2000s), so they continue making their downside while they recover, and only release them after they are fully cleared to return to the ring (if they were someone on the bubble). Hell, they take guys who's careers are over due to injury- like Jason Jordan and Droz- and move them into other roles in the company- with Droz being in charge of Online stuff for a decade and Jason Jordan being an agent

Yeah.

Now that I think of it there would be way more uproar if WWE wanst doing it.

Didnt TNA get in shit once when Dixie said she would take care of that guy who broke his neck and then cutting him off not too long later

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember how CM Punk had to keep going in the ring while damaged cause the WWE hired Doctor's said he was fine no matter what?

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, I would be fine getting paid for not working, but I wouldn't be fine not working. I like having a career and improving myself.

If I could go somewhere else and actually work on my career while still getting paid (even if it means taking a pay cut), I'd do it. There's more to a job than the paycheck.
Dude, most of them have families and bills to pay. They aren't all wrestling to satisfy marks like you lol.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
I was referring to the tweet posted above that had Cody saying 'anyone hurt in an AEW ring will be "covered"'. It suggests that only in-ring injuries will be covered, but of course I don't know the details of AEW health plan or if they will even have one.
Khan says they don't have the healthcare thing ironed out yet so they're only able to say right now that you would at least get everything that WWE would offer

But it seems like they are aiming to give more than that and they'll probably announce it in the future

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Khan says they don't have the healthcare thing ironed out yet so they're only able to say right now that you would at least get everything that WWE would offer

But it seems like they are aiming to give more than that and they'll probably announce it in the future

NFL team owners probably have some kind of "in" with insurance companies to provide coverage for athletes.

Oct 28, 2017
He just said something to the effect of "Lars Sullivan should just share the stage with Hulk Hogan because they have a lot in common" so I did a Google search for "Lars Sullivan racist" and apparently he had some old message board posts where he said immigrants just wanted free stuff, that black people had a victim complex, as well as claiming he had "gotten with" Stephanie.

tm24

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will attest that Technical Wizard Joey Ryan was amazing and teenage me loved to booo him

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He just said something to the effect of "Lars Sullivan should just share the stage with Hulk Hogan because they have a lot in common" so I did a Google search for "Lars Sullivan racist" and apparently he had some old message board posts where he said immigrants just wanted free stuff, that black people had a victim complex, as well as claiming he had "gotten with" Stephanie.
Oh

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Dude, most of them have families and bills to pay. They aren't all wrestling to satisfy marks like you lol.
I think the argument people are making is that there are two things to consider:

1) a wrestlers worth can diminish by being booked poorly or not appearing at all.

2) a lot of wrestlers care about their legacy and building up their worth and careers.

Money is of course important but wrestling to many wrestlers is an art form and getting paid isn't the only thing that's important or needs considering. Also if they get dropped by wwe and have been booked like jobbers for years (if at all) then their potential to continue their career elsewhere is greatly diminished.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Just remember though...Trevor Lee is still a free agent.

RHGoAmX.gif

Yeah...please never bring him onboard if he plans to sell like that again on the air lol.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Did the BIG DAWG Andrew Everett end upnsigning with MLW, speaking of Trevor Lee?

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think they got a lot of people on board because of it. Late 90s-early 2000 was all about being edgy. WWE rode on the coattails of a culture that also made Limp Bizkit and COPS successful. Wrestling was so popular in that era that it was able to get by when the product sucked (people don't seem to remember a lot of the garbage from the attitude era). It's not like now where the ratings really take a hit when things aren't humming.
Sure, it definitely helped the ratings and to get kids to think it's cool. But as you point out, that stuff was almost all garbage, the actual parts of WWE's Attitude era that were good could've been done in PG. The entire nWo invasion of WCW was PG after all.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Status
Not open for further replies.