• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they don't sign an actual tv deal with anyone.

Do like a netflix or hbo streaming deal instead or something like that. I can't give anymore shit for local or cable tv. Its nearly impossible to stomach RAW with all the ads.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Hope they don't sign an actual tv deal with anyone.

Do like a netflix or hbo streaming deal instead or something like that. I can't give anymore shit for local or cable tv. Its nearly impossible to stomach RAW with all the ads.

VagueNearAyeaye-small.gif

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
He talked to him about the first All In and Vince told him he wished Cody would have called him and spoken to him about it so he could have given him advice
That was probably before he realized Cody was going to get backed by a guy richer than him, sign contracts and have TV deals lined up though.

Wonder if Rhodes actually called him about AEW specifically at any point.

"Nice job, kid. You....wait, you're doing what now?"

Malajax

Oct 27, 2017
He talked to him about the first All In and Vince told him he wished Cody would have called him and spoken to him about it so he could have given him advice
At the time All In and NJPW weren't direct competition, but I'm sure the thinking was the same as it is now: this is good for wrestling.

Let Jericho or whoever get their money now. For Jericho he'll end up back home. For everyone else they'll be in WWE when it's their season. And if WWE starts to decline it'll shift with the times. They're a long ways from going out of business.

All of this is good for wrestling.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wrestling cool again? Not when they continue to book stuff like WWE if not even cringier.
I have no doubts about the technical quality it will have or the match quality, but the entertainment so far, at least on All In, BTE and the Rally was WWE to the bone and I don't really like that.
Penis druids and mascot segments are more cringy then cool. Hope they will be a bit more different here in the end.

This. It's still wacky. If they want to attract a combat sports audience they need to produce a product which is nothing like the WWE. I'm not sure someone is brave enough to do that in the US.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
At the time All In and NJPW weren't direct competition, but I'm sure the thinking was the same as it is now: this is good for wrestling.

Let Jericho or whoever get their money now. For Jericho he'll end up back home. For everyone else they'll be in WWE when it's their season. And if WWE starts to decline it'll shift with the times. They're a long ways from going out of business.

Yep.

Assuming AEW doesn't shit the bed and sticks around for awhile, wrestlers are about to make a fuck ton of money and probably feel more valued than they have in awhile.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Oh! I didn't even know about that. 12 months ago he was saying he would never work on American soil unless it was for Vince.
That changed some time around All In. I think it took Jericho a while to realise how popular NJPW (and the Elite in particular) had become, even in the west. Once he did, he realised he could ride that wave and be treated like a star, not just the upper midcard gatekeeper he's been for years in WWE.

This kind of talk is just blurgh to me. WWE is Jericho's former employer, not his home. If AEW sticks around, pays Jericho well and treats him with respect, why should he go back? And why should we assume every wrestler should go to WWE? This WWE centric outlook of the wrestling industry is bad for wrestling IMO.

This. It's still wacky. If they want to attract a combat sports audience they need to produce a product which is nothing like the WWE. I'm not sure someone is brave enough to do that in the US.
On the one hand, I think their brand of wacky is a million times more entertaining than the WWE's because it's written by far more talented people and Vince's brand of humour is trash.

But on the other, I agree and that's one of my concerns. I do think the talk of them using Mid-South as inspiration and making wins and losses matter is extremely encouraging though.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly in order for this to take off it can't just be WWE rejects/Bullet club rehash.

They need to make this a marketable adult product that you can sell to people.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I see these three names suggested a lot. Does anyone even know when their contracts are up?

Gallows and Anderson are up September of this year.

Problem is from what I've heard of these two talking, they don't really want to go anywhere. They're not out to prove anything in the industry, and seem perfectly content to just rake in cash to wrestle maybe two or three times a week off TV. Of course WWE would need to have interest in keeping them, but if they do I think it may be tough to leave the security of WWE.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
I see a few people getting hung up on the whole Joey Ryan segment at All In.

It was a payoff to a very long running storyline that actually started in DDT where someone tried to lowblow Ryan and he repelled the attack with his dick. It got over huge on the internet and became a running joke on BTE to the point where on the show Hangman Page eventually killed Ryan.

The whole penis suits bit was a parody of Undertaker's druids as Ryan was resurrected through his dick.

At face value, I get the comparison to shitty Vince humor. Yet the fact that they built up a massive storyline over several months that was legitimately funny into a payoff that was a straight parody done for laughs pushes this well beyond anything Vince's writing crew has done. It was just done so well and led to a satisfying payoff in the ring that it worked.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joey Ryan's mental breakdown into a isolated mess drinking his own piss when hangman called him a penis pretender was a good bit. It was a fun dumb story.

I wonder if Joey Ryan gets a deal. One of the nicest dudes on the indies.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Joey Ryan's mental breakdown into a isolated mess drinking his own piss when hangman called him a penis pretender was a good bit. It was a fun dumb story.

Joey Ryan wearing the Stardust outfit was by far one of the funniest things I've ever seen in wrestling. His DDT Ironman Championship run was pure gold.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

I hope not, I can't stand his character, and the style that's been suggested doesn't lend itself to that sort of comedy. He can stay in DDT and those sort of comedy promotions. I also don't see a TV station letting them get away with giant penis druids. :p

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Here's a pick for AEW: Candice LeRae

The way they've booked her in NXT is goddamn criminal.

If her and Joey Ryan can reform The World's Cutest Tag Team I'd be all for it.

I hope not, I can't stand his character, and the style that's been suggested doesn't lend itself to that sort of comedy. He can stay in DDT and those sort of comedy promotions. I also don't see a TV station letting them get away with giant penis druids. :p

XJKSGfo.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
If her and Joey Ryan can reform The World's Cutest Tag Team I'd be all for it.
On that note, I wonder if intergender wrestling is in consideration at all. I know it's forbidden completely in WWE as men hitting women would upset their sponsors with them targeting a younger audience and all, but if AEW is going for something totally different tonally maybe they could work it in.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On that note, I wonder if intergender wrestling is in consideration at all. I know it's forbidden completely in WWE as men hitting women would upset their sponsors with them targeting a younger audience and all, but if AEW is going for something totally different tonally maybe they could work it in.

If they get on a major cable network, it ain't gonna fly

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Intergender matches is basically the one of the reasons why Lucha Underground couldn't get a better station.

They thought they were being revolutionary but most networks saw it as a strike against them.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Intergender matches is basically the one of the reasons why Lucha Underground couldn't get a better station.

They thought they were being revolutionary but most networks saw it as a strike against them.

not only that but it killed their ratings. Seeing Pentagon jr. absolutely destroy girls for 90% of the match is not fun TV.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
not only that but it killed their ratings. Seeing Pentagon jr. absolutely destroy girls for 90% of the match is not fun TV.

It didn't help that they pushed the wrong woman. Sexy Star is a garbage human being.

The best episodes were easily when they brought in Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo (Sane), and Mayu Iwatani.

That was the episode that dropped a ton of viewers though

That's really shitty. I guess people just weren't ready for that.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Weren't the Black Lotus Trio or whatever they were called canonically KILLED in LU lore? Pentagon being a serial killer is a bit much.

Corey31

Oct 25, 2017
So does Adam Cole, yet Britt Baker just signed with AEW.

Britt Baker has some extenuating circumstances in that she is also a full-time dentist. She'd have to leave that job to go to NXT whereas AEW is more likely to be a lighter schedule that will allow her to do both.

Gargano and LaRae are both full time wrestlers so don't have those extenuating circumstances. I'm sure they could make it work if she left for AEW but at the same time I would think it's doubtful.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

the penis druids are probably a bit much but i wonder where "magic penis that performs wrestling moves on other people" falls in the rating system.

I wouldn't mind DDT-esque super ridiculous comedy matches once in a while just to keep things fresh. New Japan, which is real-ass sports-ass wrestling, does it with Yano and he is beloved. I think a lot of that stuff would be super SOCIAL MEDIA HASHTAG TRENDING friendly. Like imagine this shit in AEW:

giphy24csdyr.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.