• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last one wasn't even DDT, just Ibushi being Ibushi at a random UK indie

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I know

I want to see ibushi being ibushi on TBS every tuesday nignt

Yeah, that's what I mean. Just hire Ibushi and let him do Ibushi things.

He should have a masked character for his crazy matches and come out as normal for serious matches, just because he does both so well

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tons of new stuff from Meltzer in the Observer this week:

- They are negotiating with two major cable networks for a live weekly two-hour show

AEW opened picking up sizable talent and there are very serious negotiations with two major cable stations for a weekly two-hour live prime time television show​
- The Jacksonville show is expected to take place in July, and the third show is expected to take place in Chicago in September

The second AEW show will be during the summer in Jacksonville, with a large percentage of proceeds going to benefit victims of gun violence. There is still a lot to work out for the show, but it will most likely be in July or closely related to that.​
The third show, as yet unannounced, is likely to be in Chicago, possibly back at the Sears Center, over Labor Day weekend with the idea of being the anniversary of the first All In, and would also be a PPV show.​
- They are unlikely to land Mayu Iwatani, but are looking at other Japanese women including bringing in Aja Kong

Women wrestlers from Stardom and other promotions have been contacted. One of the key ones was Mayu Iwatani, who is unlikely to come. ROH, which also has an affiliation with Stardom, paid for Iwatani's three-year U.S. visa so unless ROH and AWE make a deal, which will be difficult because they are competitors, Stardom feels it would be wrong to have her work against ROH, which also has booked Iwatani for its Madison Square Garden show.​
Several Japanese women have been talked about for at least certain dates, including Hall of Famer Aja Kong, but that deal is not believed to be completed. But the Japanese women are being heavily scouted.​
- Tuesday Night Dynamite probably won't be a thing

While Tuesday Night Dynamite was trademarked and that obviously meant Tuesday was the plan at that time, it is up to the station they sign with and right now Tuesday looks highly unlikely, but two hours of live prime time is still the plan with either deal.​
- The Young Bucks turned down a very unique deal from WWE

Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he'd have been pushed as one of its top stars. The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I've never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren't happy with their push.
Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn't have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he'd likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.​
Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn't turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.​

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the Bucks got that kind of deal, I wonder what they would offer to Omega?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Paul Levesque worked hard at getting all four into WWE. Page was offered main roster money to work NXT, where he'd have been pushed as one of its top stars. The Bucks & Cody were offered strong deals. The Bucks deal was for money roughly the same as WWE champion A.J. Styles, which would have also included BTE being made a regular weekly show on the WWE Network, as well as something I've never heard WWE concede on, which was a six-month window where they could have left their three-year contract if they wanted and weren't happy with their push.Of course, WWE was fully aware of the Khan deal as this was going down, which was one of the reasons they went so hard in locking up talent of late. The great offer with the six-month window was with knowledge that Khan was not doing the promotion without The Bucks & Cody and signing them would keep them from being opposition. Without them, Khan wouldn't have the star power and stars of All In, meaning he'd likely not have the openings to everything from television to top talent that was necessary.Those who work in WWE with knowledge of the deal were certain they wouldn't turn it down, and outright told me that they would be debuting at the Rumble, and had a Rumble-to-Mania significant storyline. When they made the decision to go to AEW, they remarked that it was mind-boggling that they would ever get an offer at that level, and even more that they were turning it down. But they did roughly 12 hours of talks with Levesque, who they heavily praised in how he handled everything, in particular seeing the comedy aspect in the skit they did where they superkicked Kazarian dressed up as him over-and-over in what was the public turning down of the offer on BTE.

This is so insane.

I would never have been able to turn that down...

Will be interesting to revisit if AEW flops.

Bucks and Cody are 5 years with AEW as well.

I bet separating Page from them factored in their decision to turn it down though.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me hopes they do a deal with TNT/TBS just for nostalgia's sake. I grew up watching wrestling on those Networks.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Before this takes off too crazy, it is worth noting that despite what Dave says about it being unprecedented, the belief is that WALTER's contract with WWE has similar language of him being able to leave if he feels unsatisfied.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
ohhhhhh man

I wonder if they can land Ibushi with a similar deal. I bet the "Here's a shit load of money.... and you can still work New Japan" contract is going to be very tempting.

New Japan won't be happy about using Ibushi as sporadically as Jericho. If Ibushi not doing the tours then New Japan should cut him loose.

OP
OP
Serene

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dave also says Double or Nothing tickets will go on sale in February and they will announce "a big main event" when they go on sale

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
If Vince cares about one thing, it's taking the legs out from underneath other rising promotions. If he signed The Elite, AEW certainly wouldn't be happening. Def props though for those aggressive offers. They certainly see them as legitimate competition it would seem.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this whole thing means WWE stop being cheapskates and actually classify the wrestlers as employees so they can get proper travel and healthcare benefits.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
That changed some time around All In. I think it took Jericho a while to realise how popular NJPW (and the Elite in particular) had become, even in the west. Once he did, he realised he could ride that wave and be treated like a star, not just the upper midcard gatekeeper he's been for years in WWE.

This kind of talk is just blurgh to me. WWE is Jericho's former employer, not his home. If AEW sticks around, pays Jericho well and treats him with respect, why should he go back? And why should we assume every wrestler should go to WWE? This WWE centric outlook of the wrestling industry is bad for wrestling IMO.

On the one hand, I think their brand of wacky is a million times more entertaining than the WWE's because it's written by far more talented people and Vince's brand of humour is trash.

But on the other, I agree and that's one of my concerns. I do think the talk of them using Mid-South as inspiration and making wins and losses matter is extremely encouraging though.

Vince has a bad sense of humor writing for others, but he, himself, is one of the funniest television characters of the last few decades.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Ibushi working without a contract in NJPW? It's a big part of the reason they never pushed him hard. He never wants to commit to a company.

Dude is just down for whatever so I can see him working AEW

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm finally going to return to watching wrestling. I'm stepping up from casual viewing to catching up on everything AEW related. This has got me excited about wrestling again, just like TNA did in the beginning.

Also, how the heck has Madison Rayne remained so fit over the years?! She might've been the slimmest I've seen her at All In. Her music in TNA was also fit (for a queen).

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
If that WWE offer to the Bucks is true then wow, Vince actually is a bit worried about AEW

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
If that WWE offer to the Bucks is true then wow, Vince actually is a bit worried about AEW
It was foolish of even the dumbass WWE Fans to think he and HHH wouldn't take it serious. Remember how overboard they went on UK stuff the moments after WoS revival was announced, and that had nowhere near the money or the talent we already know is attached to this. They wanted to stop this immediately

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I have to think the Bucks have in the back of their head that they can always take the WWE payday is AEW flatlines. If it will not work out, the whole thing will fold up well before the five year option on their contracts will be an issue.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WOW at that WWE offer, esp the fact that if they dont like their pushes before six months is up they could have up and left. I hope AEW is a success because I would hate to see this bite them in the ass. Kind of glad they didnt sign with WWE though, Vince and HHH have a tendency to do this
snLplqq.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Dallas,tx
This company thinks the Bucks wouldn't remember what they did to Zack Ryder's show. As far as the they can leave within six months if they are not happy with their push, even I see that they would do everything to make them happy only to depush them after the six months, so that part is worthless. I truly feel now that Vince and Hunter are going to do one final crazy offer to Omega. Without Omega who becomes the center piece for AEW??? Cody??

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How could the Bucks not jump at the offer of BTE being on the network after seeing how Long Island Iced Z turned out!

Status
Not open for further replies.