• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While I like all the wrestlers, personalities and think this is great for the business theres this bit that feels like a "get rich quick scheme" to me and it bothers me.

Like, I dont begrudge them for it one bit, but I still get that impression.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
While I like all the wrestlers, personalities and think this is great for the business theres this bit that feels like a "get rich quick scheme" to me and it bothers me.

I don't really get why you would think that.

Cody, The Bucks, Omega and even Tony Khan (look him up, he's the billionare funding them and a huge mark) have a serious love for and history with the business.

They're 100% serious about doing this. If they wanted money, WWE was willing to give it to them in spades. They turned it down to found AEW which is a huge risky venture for them. Its not a guaranteed success.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
If someone wanted to get rich quick, starting a wrestling promotion would be one of the dumbest things to do

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
They haven't figured it out yet but at the same time, they haven't even had their first show yet so I'm willing to cut them some slack upfront.

We won't really see how good they are with long term storytelling until after Double or Nothing and potentially a tv show, for now, what they're doing is fine.

Right now it should be about establishing the roster/finding chemistry and great matches.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They haven't figured it out yet but at the same time, they haven't even had their first show yet so I'm willing to cut them some slack upfront.

We won't really see how good they are with long term storytelling until after Double or Nothing and potentially a tv show, for now, what they're doing is fine.

Right now it should be about establishing the roster/finding chemistry and great matches.

That's a pretty fair point. Double or Nothing should lay the framework of how the product will be in the future.

Well, there is something to be said about the khans wanting to chase the WWE TV rights fees...

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get why you would think that.

Cody, The Bucks, Omega and even Tony Khan (look him up, he's the billionare funding them and a huge mark) have a serious love for and history with the business.

They're 100% serious about doing this. If they wanted money, WWE was willing to give it to them in spades. They turned it down to found AEW which is a huge risky venture for them. Its not a guaranteed success.
Yeah Im well versed in everybodies backgrounds so Im not lacking on info but when I hear Omega is a VP I roll my eyes and go "lol of course"

It could just be a bias I havent identified yet, Im certainly for these guys to go out there and make their money.

Deleted member 3761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aew1021-t_1.png
Good grief how have they not spent some of Kahn's money on a graphic designer yet.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AEW is extremely risky. This is about changing the world, it's not just a catchphrase with all of them.

AEW working with AAA means AEW and NJPW are now rivals. NJPW refuses to work with AAA due to their long partnership with CMLL, and CMLL and AAA hate each other.

It's looking like two blocks of promotions are forming

NJPW/CMLL/ROH vs AEW/AAA/probably Impact/some Japanese fed (DDT or Dragon Gate most likely)

This will be an exciting time, and all the promotions within the blocks and the different bookers will help keep people fresh, not to mention the possibility of some folks jumping ship. (Imagine say, ZSJ jumping to the other side at some point, or Fenix signing with NJPW)

I'm upset I can't hit CEO this year now.

What will AEW's demographics be? And could that effect whether or not fans will get behind an lgbt performer?

The new breed of wrestling fan is a lot more liberal and open. The NJPW show I went do had a fuck Trump chant start. Kenny's fans are very liberal as well for the most part, and the Khans oppose Trump. I don't think they'll do too much bottom of the barrel stuff- and they'll reign Cody in if he goes down that route. (Cody's the most likely to use traditional tropes- I'm not saying Cody's a bigot in any way, shape, or form- he's just the most oldschool. Corny's a huge liberal and he uses some old tropes)

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Im well versed in everybodies backgrounds so Im not lacking on info but when I hear Omega is a VP I roll my eyes and go "lol of course"

It could just be a bias I havent identified yet, Im certainly for these guys to go out there and make their money.
Seems like you're just cynical and assuming they're old school carnies like Hogan, Nash, etc to me. There's no reason to believe they're just out to milk Tony Khan of his money, especially when they turned down huge offers from the WWE. Most of the current generation of wrestlers seem to me like very genuine people. And of course the main four got executive positions, the promotion is being built on the back of what they've been doing over the last couple of years (though they really should've negotiated to each get a small stake in the company, just look at how much Joe Silva made from the UFC's sale).

Anyway, some really cool signings but it fucking suuuucks they've basically made a NJPW deal near impossible. AEW already has a pretty amazing roster but still, they're no New Japan. No more Kenny vs Okada, Tana, Naito, Ishii and so on. It fucking sucks. And honestly, the lack of those potential matches makes Kenny seem a lot less special to me.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
eh, i still think they'll work together eventually. it doesn't have to be entire roster+related promotions vs entire roster+related promotions. they're already working together via jericho. it could just be one guy at a time for one match at one show.

if kenny wants to do a big new japan match, and new japan wants kenny, they'll make it happen. if aew gets a big time tv deal and actually has a strong start, I fully expect aew and njpw to work together in 2020.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
If someone wanted to get rich quick, starting a wrestling promotion would be one of the dumbest things to do

I seem to recall Cornette saying something along the lines of "Want to make thousands of dollars in the wrestling business? Invest a few million in starting your own promotion".

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Possible card thus far:

-Omega vs. Jericho
-Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros
-Hangman vs. PAC
-SCU vs. Stronghearts
-Kylie Rae vs. Nyla Rose
-MJF vs. Janela

I wanted to see this live, but I needed the sleep, I just watched it now.

Ok some thoughts, MJF is a grade A asshat, I don't really mind who he feuds with as long as they kick his ass. Janela is still injured, right? Give him Havoc, seeing Havoc destroy MJF would be great.

PAC vs Page is shaping up nicely, PAC's promo was great.

Lucha Bros vs Bucks should be fun, tag division is still a bit on the thin side, but this is a fine starting point.

I need to get on YouTube and check out OWE, I'm a mark for Kung Fu flicks and wrestling, so this sounds all kinds of amazing., SCU are a good team to match them with for introducing Strongheart to Western audiences.

I'm not familiar with Kylie Rae, what I have seen of Nyla is very impressive. Yuka and Aja Kong are good signings.

Finally the most obvious signing is confirmed, it's Kenny and he's executive vice president. Alpha vs Omega rerun is good and it keeps Omega out of the title picture initially.

Sammy Guevara is a good signing, is he going to wrestle the heavyweights or are we going to get some more cruiserweights?

Never heard of Sonny Kiss before, I will have to check him out on YouTube.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like you're just cynical and assuming they're old school carnies like Hogan, Nash, etc to me. There's no reason to believe they're just out to milk Tony Khan of his money, especially when they turned down huge offers from the WWE. Most of the current generation of wrestlers seem to me like very genuine people. And of course the main four got executive positions, the promotion is being built on the back of what they've been doing over the last couple of years (though they really should've negotiated to each get a small stake in the company, just look at how much Joe Silva made from the UFC's sale).

Anyway, some really cool signings but it fucking suuuucks they've basically made a NJPW deal near impossible. AEW already has a pretty amazing roster but still, they're no New Japan. No more Kenny vs Okada, Tana, Naito, Ishii and so on. It fucking sucks. And honestly, the lack of those potential matches makes Kenny seem a lot less special to me.

I was with you til that last sentence. He's literally faced ALL of those guys. Do we need another Kenny/Okada match? Last year feels like the best version of that we'll ever get. These are much fresher match ups we're opening the door for.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Even if there is no deal with NJPW, they can still steal some of their roster sometimes, i mean if WWE could.. I'm sure Japanese stars will be way more exposed there.
And there are the freelancer ones anyway.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Can I get a summary of what went down?
funky

AAA partnership announced on Twitter before the pre-stream

Sonny Kiss comes out and announces he'll be at Double Or Nothing Very happy to see Sonny get a chance on a bigger stage than LU https://www.sportskeeda.com/pro-wre...tive-wrestling-couple-national-coming-out-day
Cody comes out, presale signup for codes on the site now through Sunday, Monday through Tuesday is fan presale, general onsale Wednesday. Introducing AAA cruiserweight champ Sammy Guevara to promote the AAA partnership and say he'll make an impact in AEW like he has in AAA
Hangman Page apologizes for not coming out in full gear like he promised on Being The Elite. fire him ASAP!!! PAC interrupts him again, this time via satellite, and challenges him for Double Or Nothing. Page accepts
Bucks come out, want the best tag division in wrestling, ask if tag team wrestling can be the main event? Introducing Best Friends Chuck Taylor and Trent Beretta, changing the world through the power of friendship. Lucha Bros Pentagon Jr and Rey Fenix surprise attack the Bucks, having an issue with the Bucks calling themselves the top team
Brandi Rhodes comes out, confirms Aja Kong and Tokyo Joshi Pro's Yuka Sakazaki for Double Or Nothing. Neither could make it tonight, but two people could, introducing Kylie Rae and Nyla Rose. They get separated before they can come to blows. Very happy to see Nyla get a chance too https://www.washingtonblade.com/2017/06/21/the-shift-features-trans-actors/ https://dctheatrescene.com/2017/01/16/two-trans-actors-from-mosaics-charm-tell-their-truth/
Excalibur introduces SCU. SCU All Night hosted by SCU is the Double Or Nothing afterparty. They then play a promotional video hyping OWE, and introduce three more people: the VP and the CEO of the company, and the legend himself CIMA. Daniels challenges CIMA to find two partners and have a trios tag match against SCU at Double Or Nothing, CIMA accepts. SCU vs StrongHearts pls
Kenny Omega's phone finishes counting down and he comes out. Full-time member of AEW. Chris Jericho interrupts and they come to blows before being separated

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I was with you til that last sentence. He's literally faced ALL of those guys. Do we need another Kenny/Okada match? Last year feels like the best version of that we'll ever get. These are much fresher match ups we're opening the door for.
Um, yes? We've had what, nine or ten Okada/Tanahashi matches over the last 7 years? And each one of them has been different from the last and amazing because in NJPW each match builds on the previous ones and the fact they only wrestle each other once or twice in an entire year keeps things fresh. If they announced Omega/Okada V tomorrow, it'd be just as fresh as the last four times they wrestled.

Regardless, my point was that NJPW is an extremely unique case in that they've got the best wrestlers in the world working there and pushing each other to get better. While AEW already has a great roster and I'm sure it'll get even better, I don't think there's much chance their main event scene will get even close to NJPW's.

All these executive positions, they wouldn't dare book themselves a la Triple H late 2002-2005? Would they?
They make fun of themselves and put others over constantly, the idea some people have that they're just going to be the Kliq 2.0 isn't based in reality.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
They make fun of themselves and put others over constantly, the idea some people have that they're just going to be the Kliq 2.0 isn't based in reality.
Young Bucks literally got reckt by Lucha Brothers, live on stage, in this very conference!

They walked up and Cero Miedo'd and Animo'd them in front of all the fans, and they aren't even exclusive talent.

Won't be surprised if LB win their feud.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
They've set up Double or Nothing better with just two rallies, than Raw does with 4 three hour shows for their PPVs.

I'm convinced, unless they snort coke and hire Russo the booking will be fine.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I know they don't have much choice, but it's amazing that AEW have partnered up with the only company that could be considered carnier then WWE

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AEW seems to want to be open to everyone regardless of bad blood and seem open to wrestler's personal demands

But this is the start, and I wonder if they launch strong and hit popularity and success if they'll still be as willingly

Time will only tell I guess

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Much like classic WCW/ECW, AEW seem to want to offer a lit bit of everything to everyone, wrasslin-wise, but refined, cognizant and respectful of what worked and didn't work with promotions like WCW/ECW.

They'll have problems at some point for sure, because no promotion is ever perfect, but they've accomplished quite a lot in only six weeks. So excited to see where they'll be a year from now, for example.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I just want AEW to be successful, because AEW becoming a success is good for everyone.

Fox318

Oct 25, 2017
AEW seems to want to be open to everyone regardless of bad blood and seem open to wrestler's personal demands

But this is the start, and I wonder if they launch strong and hit popularity and success if they'll still be as willingly

Time will only tell I guess
Unfortunately things will change once people are told they have to lose. Its the nature of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.