• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
It's going to be very interesting to see how they are going to extend this to a weekly product.

Writing a TV show every week is not easy and they don't have experience with that. Looking forward anyway regardless of growing pains.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be very interesting to see how they are going to extend this to a weekly product.

Writing a TV show every week is not easy and they don't have experience with that. Looking forward anyway regardless of growing pains.

They could spend the first 10 minutes of each show having a match rather than a 25-minute opening tirade.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think they should try to bargin for 90 minutes instead of 2 hours. 90 minutes is perfect for a wrestling show

Uno Venova

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60-90 minutes. One show a week. let people actually starve for the next episode and want more, rather than making people sick of it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to predict a format not knowing how long a potential weekly show will be, but I could see it following the nitro format. Those shows usually had about 10 matches every week. Obviously you can tinker with that formula, make matches longer, do 6 or 8 man tags ala New Japan, etc.

Really hoping it's 60-90 minutes a week and 4 ppvs a year, at least to start. NXT format is perfect imo, big shows feel big, only feature relevant performers, no padding... and if someone great is absent it just makes the anticipation for the next show even greater.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the length matters so much. I remember some 3 hour Nitros flying by between angles, cruiserweights and some compelling matchups. They won't have a roster that deep though, so 1-1.5 hours will probably work. They just need to remember that not everyone has to appear every single week

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the length matters so much. I remember some 3 hour Nitros flying by between angles, cruiserweights and some compelling matchups. They won't have a roster that deep though, so 1-1.5 hours will probably work. They just need to remember that not everyone has to appear every single week

If youre on LSD.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60-90 minutes. One show a week. let people actually starve for the next episode and want more, rather than making people sick of it.

I'd like to see a main 90 minute show, then a 30 minute after-show which is a cross of NJPW style post-match interviews and "Talking Smack". The after-show would be streamed and be all talk. Maybe the occasional 2 hour special if they're doing a tournament arc (I think they should have their equivalent of the G1 and WTL)

Even at WCW's best, the 3 hour Nitros were too long by an hour, and AEW won't have a roster with the depth of WCW's. I don't think they'll have enough folks to fill 2 hours to start, so 90 minutes makes sense. Their roster right now is about ROH-level + Omega, and Omega can't be wrestling 20-30 minutes on TV every week.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme a tight 60 minutes.

Every wrestler doesn't need to be on every week. It can work

Give me The current NXT format basically. 60 min shows and major events once every 3 months. Make the big matches feel big. Give stories time to develop

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I don't think that is more important, its just a kideo game and there's plenty of good ones out there like some sweet MDickie joints

Garbage games by a garbage person, why would you direct anyone to that?

As far as a perspective TV show and regular schedule, I'd rather they get 2 hours for the show and have 6 PPVs, give them time to breathe and expand in.

Oct 29, 2017
I love WCW. But no show with Scott Norton, Ice Train and Stevie Ray flew right by.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My current worry is they are going to mess up their announce team.

The "hosts" they have had for these last 2 events have been terrible.

You can have all the talent you want in the ring but if the announcer sucks it will make everything worse.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

You can have all the talent you want in the ring but if the announcer sucks it will make everything worse.
This.

The guy in the mask seems pretty solid but the other two? They seem poisonously bad and bland.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018

Conrad isn't a commentator so you don't have to worry about that.

I assume the commentary team is going to be Excalibur and someone else.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
When could Kenny Omega be announcing his participation?

And no TV deals yet?

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Excalibur (the guy in the mask) is an absolutely fantastic announcer.

The other two were hosts and wouldn't be part of the announce team calling matches. I like Conrad Thompson but I listen to two of his podcasts and can understand why people wouldn't like him. He isn't an AEW employee. Alex Marvez, who's done stuff for NFL Network/Jaguars pre-shows/SiriusXM is fine for a pre-show role as a host, interviewer, etc. He used to cover wrestling for like 20 years in the Miami Herald and knows his stuff.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
"Writing" a two hour wrestling show is only as difficult as you make it, the hardest part aside from keeping things like angles/stories compelling and fresh (which letting talent actually be involved will help a ton) is the timing things out to for everything you want while ending exactly when it's supposed to and talent following it, unless they're going to be writing everything word for word for talent and commentary like WWE while pushing a dozen unrelated company buzzwords they're not going to come anywhere close to the issues WWE has.

WWE makes it look hard because they have 30 person "writers room" with an out of touch senior citizen/control freak running things who changes his mind more times than the wind blows and will call for "rewrites" as the show is going leaving them borderline incapable of doing much long term booking or sometimes week to week with any running, consistent storylines beyond "me want title, you have title, me gonna beat you for title RAWR" that's like 80% of their angles. If Vince ran an actual TV series the way he runs Raw the show he'd be fired/relieved of his duties in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Here's an old Raw script from 1999: https://imgur.com/a/Xjtyc

And one from 2009, years after the number of writers they have expanded greatly when Stephanie took over creative.

https://imgur.com/a/Oogji

Last edited:

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Writing" a two hour wrestling show is only as difficult as you make it, the hardest part aside from keeping things like angles/stories compelling and fresh (which letting talent actually be involved will help a ton) is the timing things out to for everything you want while ending exactly when it's supposed to and talent following it, unless they're going to be writing everything word for word for talent and commentary like WWE while pushing a dozen unrelated company buzzwords they're not going to come anywhere close to the issues WWE has.

WWE makes it look hard because they have 30 person "writers room" with an out of touch senior citizen/control freak running things who changes his mind more times than the wind blows and will call for "rewrites" as the show is going leaving them borderline incapable of doing much long term booking or sometimes week to week with any running, consistent storylines beyond "me want title, you have title, me gonna beat you for title RAWR" that's like 80% of their angles. If Vince ran an actual TV series the way he runs Raw the show he'd be fired/relieved of his duties in a heartbeat.

And one from 2009, years after the number of writers they have expanded greatly when Stephanie took over creative.

It's amazing how rigid they've become over the years...

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Dave's audio podcast with Kenny is up

"New Japan was the 3rd best option, the other 2 companies [AEW and WWE] were more excited to have me"

4 year AEW deal signed, he made sure his contract would allow him to do New Japan if that relationship ever comes together and they want him back

Ibushi has committments with his wrestling school in Japan but he expects him to show up in AEW at some point, just not at Double or Nothing

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

damn at the scripts

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I only have a few demands for Double or Nothing.

First among of them: The Bucks must job to the Lucha Bros, then get on the mic on their knees while crying and say they'll never be as cool or strong as Penta and Fenix.

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only have a few demands for Double or Nothing.

First among of them: The Bucks must job to the Lucha Bros, then get on the mic on their knees while crying and say they'll never be as cool or strong as Penta and Fenix.

giphy.gif

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Cody talks about AEW's desire to go for a "very sports-centric presentation"

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I hope their TV deal has international live broadcasts. It would be best if they landed on a streaming service like Amazon Prime or DAZN. The crowd that will be into them from the beginning won't accept a broadcast delayed by a couple of days I'd think.

As to the press conference - a major step up from the parking lot thing, but that pool in the background was begging for somebody to be pushed in there.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
I hope their TV deal has international live broadcasts. It would be best if they landed on a streaming service like Amazon Prime or DAZN. The crowd that will be into them from the beginning won't accept a broadcast delayed by a couple of days I'd think.

As to the press conference - a major step up from the parking lot thing, but that pool in the background was begging for somebody to be pushed in there.

With the deep pockets of some of the streaming services, a play for this and the ppv events would be interesting. Live "sports" is of known interest to a lot of them.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the pre registrations were over 12k and they were configuring for around that. MGM could hold closer to 20kz so will be interesting to see if they go for that and do a second round of sales later on

Last edited:

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
For those that missed the memo the OWE partnership is gonna be a major hit once they show it off.
OWE isn't just CIMA in china doin his thing with no talents. OWE actively recruits its wrestlers from Shaolin. Yes fucking shaolin. They are training the Shaolin to perform their stuff as wrestlers.

Seriously guys...OWE is gonna rock the shit outta matches running some of their guys out there for AEW. This is what those shaolin boys turned wrestlers get up to in the ring.

And yes they actually do legit wrestling, pacing, storytelling in the ring etc. What did ya think CIMA kept all his experience to himself in the locker room?
Just wait till you see Gao Jingjia and his insane vertical. Dude is like a chinese Ricochet.
Here's a link to a TON of the roster to browse
Enjoy the gif storm.

1wueZdC.gif
Ylp9dul.gif
YkjoXsT.gif
YbQDKfS.gif
wTiNN6A.gif
6AzYWtr.gif
8zZxcMk.gif
Z7QOgtB.gif
Hi8gLR2.gif

BTW...some of these look sped up. Fun fact...they're not.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the pre registrations were over 12k and they were configuring for around that. MGM could hold closer to 20kz so will be interesting to see if they go for that and do a second round
Would be interested to see what their roof here would be in regards to getting close to that 20k figure.

Go for it.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Kenny Omega just signed with AEW. Let the Monday Night Wars return.
We're a long LONG way away from that.

They got good money backing but don't expect them to explode into WWE's stratosphere of influence immediately anytime soon.

They're going to work their way up there and I hope they get there eventually but its important to have tempered expectations for the moment. They're going to be starting fairly humble despite some big advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.