• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
wRXsN7K.gif

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Karl was a just guy New Japan at most she was just a mid card guy. Don't let pointless New beginning main events fool you.

Karl Anderson in no way was a star in new Japan. Kenny Omega was a key part of their 2018 like he was their key part of their g1 this year a main event in almost every show comparing Kenny Omega situation to those guys is completely different because the companies in a different place. They need Kenny Omega if they want to push in North America.
A mid carder who was booked strongly and main evented a number of shows. It's almost as if he was an... upper middle carder. Come the fuck on, he was a star, that's why when Devitt left, they made him and AJ the Bullet Club's co-leades.

It's also funny you're calling New Beginning main events pointless today of all days.

I never said Kenny wasn't a draw, so I have no idea why you're going on about him. Him leaving will definitely hurt NJPW, particularly in the US, but AGAIN if they can lose two main eventers (one of whom is still far more popular than Kenny even though he wrestles in purgatory) and an upper middle carder at once and come out even stronger after rebuilding, I have no doubts they'll be fine. Gedo has an incredible eye for talent and ability to make new stars.

There was a popularity poll in Japan. The top 5 NJPW were those 4 and Hiromu. Kenny was a legit draw in Japan. Kenny and Ibushi were really popular with women (but Naito and Hiromu were just as popular)
Yeah and Naito and Tanahashi were over twice as popular as everyone else. Okada was surprisingly low but the poll was taken right at the end of his title run so I'm guessing that was mostly because everyone was exhausted by his run. At shows he's FAR more over now than he was back then.

Omega would have been bigger if they let him cut promos in Japanese. NJPW wouldn't let him do interviews and promos in Japanese because he was a foreign heel.
You mean before he turned face? What makes you think NJPW specifically prevented him from speaking Japanese? Kenny's a pro, he wouldn't undermine his character and story like that.

Oct 29, 2017
They really need to add an second night in Vegas. It will sell out too. I'm thinking about plunging in on the Hotel package if it's still available. Memorial Day weekend in Vegas is expensive so might as well go All In.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah I saw a post on Reddit that mentioned Kenny was involved with that. It was from his recent interview with Meltzer I think (Don't sub to the observer so can't check.). Seems he was responsible for for getting Yuka due to his relationship with DDT and Nyla because he met her in Japan when Nyla was part of the idol wrestling drama and he liked that she made non-professionals look good.

Oct 27, 2017
14k is going to be a wrestling record in that building. The previous record was Halloween Havoc 97, which was main evented by Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper. Pretty good competition they are topping.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You mean before he turned face? What makes you think NJPW specifically prevented him from speaking Japanese? Kenny's a pro, he wouldn't undermine his character and story like that.

Kenny was told early on to drop the otaku side of his character entirely- as it wouldn't fit with Bullet Club. You could see early heel Kenny struggle with character stuff, then gain popularity as he got a bit more goofy. It ended up helping with his redemption arc , which was a year and a half long (started with Okada/Omega I loss).

NJPW you don't really get to test out your gimmick that much, you gotta learn it on the fly. It took Jay a few months to figure out who Switchblade was, he didn't really get it until the G1.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Kenny was told early on to drop the otaku side of his character entirely- as it wouldn't fit with Bullet Club. You could see early heel Kenny struggle with character stuff, then gain popularity as he got a bit more goofy. It ended up helping with his redemption arc , which was a year and a half long (started with Okada/Omega I loss).

NJPW you don't really get to test out your gimmick that much, you gotta learn it on the fly. It took Jay a few months to figure out who Switchblade was, he didn't really get it until the G1.
He was? Huh. I figured that was just something he figured out on his own to, as you say, fit with the Bullet Club. His earlier character would've been a complete mismatch with what the Bullet Club was back then.

But yeah, watching wrestlers figure out their gimmicks on the road is one of the cooler parts of NJPW IMO. It comes off far more authentic and relatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.