• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Oh goddammit.

They went from having all the energy after the TNT official reveal to botching their run of PPV's before the weekly show.

I mean it still might be pn Twtich too, but an article in Variety had B/R Live saying they'll be streaming AEW shows in June and Jul, and that's the CEO show and the Jacksonville show.... it might still be free though we'll see

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone explain this "wins and losses matter" thing to me. How does a booked event with booked outcomes use wins and losses to do anything? All I can see is oh Kenny gets a title run because he won his last 20 matches. Which just translates to Kenny was booked for a title run but we dragged it out. And what happens to the poor jobbers who never get booked to win. The losses matter for them because they never get gold opportunity's

I can't get my head around it

Dec 29, 2017
Someone explain this "wins and losses matter" thing to me. How does a booked event with booked outcomes use wins and losses to do anything? All I can see is oh Kenny gets a title run because he won his last 20 matches. Which just translates to Kenny was booked for a title run but we dragged it out. And what happens to the poor jobbers who never get booked to win. The losses matter for them because they never get gold opportunity's

I can't get my head around it

My guess is it's the NJPW style. Pin a champion in a tag match or a tournament match and you get a title shot.

They are also planning of some sort of stat tracking system. I'm thinking a possible AEW Fantasy Pro Wrestling league for the fans similar to NFL Fantasy Football.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is it's the NJPW style. Pin a champion in a tag match or a tournament match and you get a title shot.

But again the pin is booked. Are we all supposed to go back to being dumb marks and pretending it's all real?

tenor.gif

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
$50 is way too much, I want these guys to succeed but if that's the direction they're going in they are in for some rough times.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way

I'm up for a year-long ban bet or a namechange-bet.
OK - what's the bet then?
Ban bet seems fine. I don't see what the big deal is, it's not like I'm saying they'll pull a million.

But a cable channel in nearly as many homes as USA, more hype than Impact ever had, already more support from their channel than Impact ever had, 5 months of advertising and PPVs to go, I'd be shocked if they got lower than 775K.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming we're looking at week 1 AEW ratings, getting over 800k viewers seems like a slam dunk especially considering TNA managed to get 600k on a backwater TV station.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
Dave says 400-500k is considered a success? On TNT? Wrestling on TNT for the first time in decades?

Shit. Minimum 600k average regularly. TNA managed that on POP when nobody outside of here ever even heard of the station being called that before

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not getting into this madness but let me be the third party who hashes out the fine print.

Are you folks discussing AEW ratings for week 1 or average over a sustained amount of time?
First week I bet is under 775k viewers via Nielsen. Not youtube views, etc. Just gotta make sure we hash it out

Thanks OhSatan

We doin it Bronx! We'll check back in later this year once it airs! I'm excited!

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I win, AEW does well. If I lose, I don't have to see any of PoliEra's god-awful opinions for a year.

This is what we in Vegas call a win-win scenario.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
I want to support AEW/Double or Nothing, but $50? Yeah no thanks. For that price I could subscribe to NJPW, DDT, AJPW, Stardom, and Dragon Gate for a month. Like it or not, WWE changed the perceived value of wrestling with the Network. $50 PPVs don't fly anymore.

Dec 29, 2017
One could wish $50 was just a mistake and $50 is actually a "Season Pass" like what BR Live does with other sports. One could wish. Then again they are charging $25 for a T-Shirt.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Meltzer talks about the AEW TNT deal on the Observer Boards:

It's a complicated deal but it's easily the best deal anyone but WWE has ever gotten. There is a downside on the ad revenue which you can call the rights fee plus I never expected paying for production. That's got to be $20 million right there if it's a $400,000 budget. That's if, most arena shoots I've seen are higher budgeted and this may be as well. That's the number Vince is getting from his TV partners. WWE's production runs about $1 million per taping. I'm sure they won't get close to that. Even WWE doesn't get production paid for, not that they need to with the deasl they have.

I was expecting 20-30M in rights fees with it all going to barely cover production as a first year deal and early losses until they can build the rest of their business such as international and such. I don't see.house shows or PPVs being big moneymakers, haven't asked what the B/R deal is but the PPV business would be just a usual split. Video game to me is possible but iffy. The value of this appears at the high end of my expectations, depending on what we don't know, which is actual production budget and actual split on ads, what they can charge ads for. There's also international deals and such, although U.S. is obviously the key deal.

The idea this is a time buy, or they're not getting paid at all isn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.