• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
If you can get AEW + HBO + Turner + Warner Bros/Turner movie catalog for ~$15/month (or less) that'd be incredible.
I have to imagine they'll wrap DC Universe in with it too, so they'll also have some pretty good original DC shows.

It seems like it'll be a really great streaming service, pity WB are fucking horrendous at expanding worldwide.

But again the pin is booked. Are we all supposed to go back to being dumb marks and pretending it's all real?

tenor.gif
Uh yes? If you don't want to pretend it's real, you can always go watch WWE and get beaten to death with how fake everything is and how nothing matters.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017

Nick Diener (former lead singer/guitarist of The Swellers) wrote/recorded a theme song for an AEW wrestler

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I just realised this means we might, nay, will get interviews with people like Cody and Kenny on Conan. Fingers crossed!

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Really great interview with Cody and Brandi on the red carpet. Some talk about not having any scripted promos.

Also a really great snippet about Jim Ross and his input on Double or Nothing, Cody quoting Ross "It can't be good...it's gotta be great". I think having someone to light a fire under everyone's asses is an extremely good thing when you have so much at stake. He may not be what he once was on commentary, but he knows what it takes to be successful.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From the Observer:

Right now nothing is concrete past the point of a weekly two-hour live show. The day of the week is not official, although it will likely be either Tuesday or Wednesday night.

WarnerMedia is going to make the call based on market research to determine the value of going on Tuesday, with it being a "creature of habit" night for wrestling fans right now, with the idea of going 8-10 p.m. is the current Smackdown time slot. The downside of that move is TNT has NBA commitments on Tuesday. If it does go on Tuesday, it would likely mean, like was the case with wrestling in the WCW era, that during the NBA season it would likely be cut down. It would air, perhaps on one hour form some weeks, and probably just prior to the NBA game of the night.

On Wednesday, it is not as much a current destination of habit for two million wrestling fans, but there would be fewer time slot changes and they would almost every week be able to run the full two hours.

No start date was announced although the belief is it will be at the start of the fall season in October.
The deal also includes content on B/R Live, including PPV shows. The PPV content will be done more like UFC, where it will be a full price PPV at $49.95, and not undercutting the PPV providers' price. That may have been something that they had little choice on, because in cutting recent deals with inDemand, Dish and DirecTV, the contract stipulations likely called for an inability to undercut the price on streaming. WWE was able to do that by basically just doing it, and the PPV providers had to either agree to continue airing the shows or not. But WWE had leverage due to its long history which AEW wouldn't have had.

The price tag brought a lot of complaints, given wrestling fans are used to the WWE streaming at $9.99 per month and New Japan at even less for multiple shows. It's still less than UFC or boxing PPVs, although boxing PPVs are lessening due to DAZN.
The belief within the company is this deal will allow them to be profitable by 2020.
There will also likely be additional programming on B/R Live, although nothing has been worked out as to what that would be. The company wants a major push to B/R Live. One source at Turner noted that the ratings on TNT will matter but they are trying to leverage multiple venues, including B/R Live, and YouTube, with their main brands like Rick & Morty, Jokers and Conan, and AEW could fit into that.

Last edited:

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I think that they should have a series like BTE on the B/R Live app, witth new content on a weekly basis to complement the TV show. As pumped as I am for them, I wont pay a monthly subscription unless there is a lot of value content-wise.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Overall, the consensus seems to be that AEW got a great TV deal for a start-up company. If the company's expecting to be profitable by 2020, that obviously seems to be a good sign.

I would definitely go with Wednesdays rather than Tuesdays for the weekly show. The whole "creature of habit" thing for Tuesday nights won't mean much of anything if they're getting pre-empted for literally half the year by the NBA.

It also sounds like they didn't have much of any leverage at all in regards to undercutting the PPV providers with their streaming price, unfortunately.

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
Overall, the consensus seems to be that AEW got a great TV deal for a start-up company. If the company's expecting to be profitable by 2020, that obviously seems to be a good sign.

I would definitely go with Wednesdays rather than Tuesdays for the weekly show. The whole "creature of habit" thing for Tuesday nights won't mean much of anything if they're getting pre-empted for literally half the year by the NBA.

It also sounds like they didn't have much of any leverage at all in regards to undercutting the PPV providers with their streaming price, unfortunately.

Considering that LU was spending WWE levels of money on production with no return .AEW getting Turner to foot the bill is pretty great.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
$50 might be a deal breaker for me. I really want to support the show, but that's just too much. If they were including a Blu-ray of the show with it or a coupon to prowrestlingtees I'd be in.

Eden

Nov 15, 2017
I guess if they only do a PPV show every 3-4 months or something then maybe, but if they do them monthly then no way in hell.

Do we know how much DON will cost in Canada yet?

Jul 18, 2018
Ideally it should be 30-40 dollars IMO. If they are only going to have three or four ppvs a year that isn't too much to ask. Even at 50 bucks I doubt AEW is getting more than 20 dollars out of that.
Even if it's 3-4 a year, it's a new brand starting out. Why should we fork over $50 for a new brand of wrestling when that's how much some of the established boxing/MMA/UFC matches cost. We shall see how much they put into production values and such over WWE to see if the cost measures up.

Dec 29, 2017
Really great interview with Cody and Brandi on the red carpet. Some talk about not having any scripted promos.

Also a really great snippet about Jim Ross and his input on Double or Nothing, Cody quoting Ross "It can't be good...it's gotta be great". I think having someone to light a fire under everyone's asses is an extremely good thing when you have so much at stake. He may not be what he once was on commentary, but he knows what it takes to be successful.

Less talking, more wrestling it seems. They really are trying to be different from the WWE.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
But again the pin is booked. Are we all supposed to go back to being dumb marks and pretending it's all real?

tenor.gif

Wrestling isn't any more real than Game of Thrones. But within Game of Thrones fights and violence have consequence. If you kill a character, they shouldn't be back the following week to hold a conversation with the others. If you win a bunch of matches, you should be up for a title shot. If you lose a bunch--or like Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder, haven't ever won one--you shouldn't be up for one.

Edit:

The deal also includes content on B/R Live, including PPV shows. The PPV content will be done more like UFC, where it will be a full price PPV at $49.95, and not undercutting the PPV providers' price. That may have been something that they had little choice on, because in cutting recent deals with inDemand, Dish and DirecTV, the contract stipulations likely called for an inability to undercut the price on streaming. WWE was able to do that by basically just doing it, and the PPV providers had to either agree to continue airing the shows or not. But WWE had leverage due to its long history which AEW wouldn't have had.

The price tag brought a lot of complaints, given wrestling fans are used to the WWE streaming at $9.99 per month and New Japan at even less for multiple shows. It's still less than UFC or boxing PPVs, although boxing PPVs are lessening due to DAZN.

This is going to kill AEW's PPVs. I'm not spending $50, full stop.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wrestling isn't any more real than Game of Thrones. But within Game of Thrones fights and violence have consequence. If you kill a character, they shouldn't be back the following week to hold a conversation with the others. If you win a bunch of matches, you should be up for a title shot. If you lose a bunch--or like Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder, haven't ever won one--you shouldn't be up for one.

Edit:

This is going to kill AEW's PPVs. I'm not spending $50, full stop.
Cody mentioned DON being a good jumping on point for new people but at that price? Not really.

Most people are probably just going to wait for the TV show now. Can't blame em.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I would prefer the PPV cost was less than $50, but I'd pay it three or four times a year for a high quality wrestling show. I mean, I used to do that all the time with WWE before the Network came along. Now I don't even pay the $10 a month for the Network since the shows just make me miserable.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cody mentioned DON being a good jumping on point for new people but at that price? Not really.

Most people are probably just going to wait for the TV show now. Can't blame em.

I wouldn't be shocked if they aired DoN as a TV Special in a few parts closer to the launch of the actual show

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Wait. So in WWE when the wrestlers are looking at the hard camera they're reading from a teleprompter? No way. I've been following for nearly 30 years, why do I find this the most shocking thing :|

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Wait. So in WWE when the wrestlers are looking at the hard camera they're reading from a teleprompter? No way. I've been following for nearly 30 years, why do I find this the most shocking thing :|
Teleprompter usage in WWE is new info to me too

I don't see how that's possible. Especially when you have two guys facing opposite each other cutting a promo.

I'm not seeing anything in a Google image search aside from Hall Of Fame speech stuff unless I'm missing it.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
WWE wrestlers do not use teleprompters for promos lmao, anyone in the crowd would easily have seen this over the past several decades.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Ideally it should be 30-40 dollars IMO. If they are only going to have three or four ppvs a year that isn't too much to ask. Even at 50 bucks I doubt AEW is getting more than 20 dollars out of that.

WWE completely devauled major events/PPV with their network and others have followed suit since with similarly or lower priced streaming options, it's not going to do good numbers with only the most hardcore of audiences buying it. It might not be entirely on them but when it does a super low buy rate certain people will jump on it as "proof" of how low interest is in AEW.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
There was a time when getting a pay-per-view was an event. You'd do it 2-3 times a year, rotate between your and few friends' houses, split the costs and have a party. Still do that sporadically for some boxing matches, but haven't done that for a wrestling event in a long long time and UFC has fallen by the wayside, too. Vince and Dana really fucked shit up when they decided to start doing ppv's once a month. In summary, $50 is too much if you're planning on sitting at home alone but fine if you split it.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WWE does use teleprompters, but only backstage I believe. That's why all the fuck ups trying to remember scripts are in the ring.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I just remembered that my buddy is throwing a PPV party for Double or Nothing. So I'll likely just be going to see it there, unless my work schedule interferes.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
WWE completely devauled major events/PPV with their network and others have followed suit since with similarly or lower priced streaming options, it's not going to do good numbers with only the most hardcore of audiences buying it. It might not be entirely on them but when it does a super low buy rate certain people will jump on it as "proof" of how low interest is in AEW.

I sort of agree. And I think that it ultimately depends on how AEW handles PPVs. If they are treated as we traditionally think with wrestling, as sort of the culmination and climax to the storylines and angles that have been built up through TV, I do wonder if that hurts more casual interest in the TNT stuff, like if people start to feel that they have to pay $50 for the payoff to these stories they are being asked to invest in every week. That could be a big ask in 2019. Guess we'll have to see. I like a lot of what Cody and AEW are going, and some legit competition in the space is always good, but I have to admit I'm still a little dubious toward some of it. Yeah indie wrestling is as popular as it's ever been, but is that still a niche audience? Will AEW be able to translate that over into some more crossover mainstream appeal, which I imagine is the goal when you sign a tv deal with Turner?

Status
Not open for further replies.