• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Micheal needs to go full Naito.

"No one likes you, Jebailey. The only promotion that did is no longer cohosting this show."

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't know much about Tony Khan, but to anyone in the know, what factors separate him from Ted Turner when he purchased Crockett and decided to challenge the WWF? How does AEW's talent stack up to WCW's talent led by Ric Flair? Booking, business instincts? How business savvy is Tony Kahn that separates him from a Dixie Carter or a Billy Corgan?

And for AEW to succeed in the long term, would it demand that he be as solid a prowrestling historian as well as a savvy businessman? Afterall, for all of Ted Turner's affinity to prowrestling, I don't think he knew intimately on the precise machinations of the business in general worked.

How much is Kahn going into this as a fan vs. a business person? And longevity wise, what has more solid long term prospects, AEW or the XFL reboot?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Shinsuke is getting paid big money to sit back and do nothing. I'm hoping he leaves since WWE does nothing with him, but I'm not so sure he wants to go back to that NJPW-style.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I don't know much about Tony Khan, but to anyone in the know, what factors separate him from Ted Turner when he purchased Crockett and decided to challenge the WWF? How does AEW's talent stack up to WCW's talent led by Ric Flair? Booking, business instincts? How business savvy is Tony Kahn that separates him from a Dixie Carter or a Billy Corgan?

And for AEW to succeed in the long term, would it demand that he be as solid a prowrestling historian as well as a savvy businessman? Afterall, for all of Ted Turner's affinity to prowrestling, I don't think he knew intimately on the precise machinations of the business in general worked.

How much is Kahn going into this as a fan vs. a business person? And longevity wise, what has more solid long term prospects, AEW or the XFL reboot?

Lots to unpack here, let me try to break it down:

"what factors separate him from Ted Turner when he purchased Crockett and decided to challenge the WWF?"
Ted Turner was a casual-at-best wrestling fan that put non-wrestling people in charge of his wrestling product while he fucked off to run the rest of his media empire. Tony Khan is a hardcore wrestling fan (he was a tape trader back in the day) who's directly involved in the day-to-day running of the promotion.

"How does AEW's talent stack up to WCW's talent led by Ric Flair? Booking, business instincts? "
I'd give Ric Flair the edge simply because the wrestling industry today is different than the territory days. Our modern indy promotions can't compare to the territory system for experience and exposure. Flair smartly surrounded himself with guys like Jim Ross and Jim Cornette, which certainly helps on the booking aspect, not that the Elite are slouches. Business-wise though, the guys Turner put in charge torpedoed any chance of WCW doing good. Guys like Herd and Scott had no business being in charge.

"How business savvy is Tony Kahn that separates him from a Dixie Carter or a Billy Corgan?"
Dixie was a money mark with no apparent wrestling knowledge, I don't know Billy Corgan's business model well enough to comment on it. Tony appears to have Dixie beat in this regard.

"And for AEW to succeed in the long term, would it demand that he be as solid a prowrestling historian as well as a savvy businessman? Afterall, for all of Ted Turner's affinity to prowrestling, I don't think he knew intimately on the precise machinations of the business in general worked."
Tony is both, he has been following the business since he was a kid. Turner had business chops, but WCW was horribly mishandled by those he put in charge and he was so hands off and not involved for his business acumen to matter.

"How much is Kahn going into this as a fan vs. a business person?
They have a business plan in place, and nothing suggests he's going into this blindly. He's hired many top talents, both on-screen and employees that will be needed to get this promotion off the ground.

And longevity wise, what has more solid long term prospects, AEW or the XFL reboot?"
The butter chicken in my slow cooker for dinner "has more solid long term prospects" than the XFL reboot. :P

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Kenny Omega just announced that Fyter Fest will be free on B/R Live

Also looks like they confirmed CIMA vs. Daniels for Fyter Fest

mRupAgJ.png

F1JkvdX.png

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If AEW ever secures a videogame license, who should be the publisher? And how long would they need to be in business for that to even be a consideration?

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
YES! I was expecting to pay like $20 but free is infinitely better. That rules.

Also that Joey Janela shirt is really fucking sick.

edit: damn, so is that Best Friends shirt haha.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
that tag team might need to lose the human throne thing tbh, they look like their gimp slaves lmao

auicc

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to guess they are calling all the pre-shows "The Buy In" because they liked the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.