• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I mean, frankly, that seems to be where Spears belongs at this point. As far as heels on their roster go, I wouldn't put him above Jericho or Pac or MJF. I think the feud and match with Cody successful re-invented him as a new character but it defines him down to a mid card level which is really probably where he should stay.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I really like the 1 hour show for B/R Live thing. It gives the up and comers a chance to display their talents and alleviates the jam of 1.5 hrs of TV time (after commercials) for a 60+ roster and how to showcase them all in one way or the other.
Also, the champs can be showcased on that show and eventually move between the main show to the B/R show and vice versa.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Well, he should think of it this way: He went from being nobody on nothing to at least now he's the jobber to the stars.

Silver lining.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
They've definitely cemented that.
I do think Spears is good and has proven that he can get stuff over(like stupid stuff such as TEN), but he is also limited somewhat in the ring and I don't think his heel run these past few months have really left a great impression. Hopefully he can rebound because he has shown potential in the past to be atleast somewhat over with a gimmick that fits.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
you can make good stories with losing streak. Look at Janela's promo "0-2!! im 0-2!!! i've waited this contract all my life and im 0-2!". I think that story is not over on Janela too, even more after losing the CRACKER BARREL CLASH OF DEATH

how will that work when the talent during their "time off" will probably be wrestling in other promotions?

In the end, exclusive contracts will happen in AEW just like WWE.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you can make good stories with losing streak. Look at Janela's promo "0-2!! im 0-2!!! i've waited this contract all my life and im 0-2!". I think that story is not over on Janela too, even more after losing the CRACKER BARREL CLASH OF DEATH

how will that work when the talent during their "time off" will probably be wrestling in other promotions?

They already do have exclusive contracts. Only a few that we know about aren't exclusive and they work outside the US anyway when not with AEW (Riho, Bea, I assume PAC etc.). Most of them are only working AEW once TV starts.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

They've already happened, most of the guys who work the indies have been wrapping things up for a while now. Once TV starts the only people who'll work for other promotions are the ones who're only part time (Riho, Yuka, Bea, etc) or have clauses in their contracts allowing them to work elsewhere (Jericho, Moxley, Omega, etc). We might also see AEW send people to their partnered promotions, like AAA or even OWE, but that's basically it.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
They already do have exclusive contracts. Only a few that we know about aren't exclusive and they work outside the US anyway when not with AEW (Riho, Bea, I assume PAC etc.). Most of them are only working AEW once TV starts.

They've already happened, most of the guys who work the indies have been wrapping things up for a while now. Once TV starts the only people who'll work for other promotions are the ones who're only part time (Riho, Yuka, Bea, etc) or have clauses in their contracts allowing them to work elsewhere (Jericho, Moxley, Omega, etc). We might also see AEW send people to their partnered promotions, like AAA or even OWE, but that's basically it.

Oh i see, i dont know that. Thanks.

Also, now that you mention OWE, looks like they are done? :(

I really wanted to see more of StrongHearts

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
AAA is having a show on Twitch tonight, for anyone interested:

ED88xBiX4AAavbw

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Someones needs to do the job. I'm sure Spears knew what he was getting into. He is at least going to be featured in their programming.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I'm not familiar with the website or whether they're credible but according to Wrestling Inc, FITE TV has confirmed that All Elite Wrestling's recent ALL OUT pay per view exceeded the number of buys as their inaugural event back in April, Double or Nothing. The estimated buys on standard television PPV were roughly 28,000, which did not include the viewers who watched on Bleacher Report Live. It was originally reported that ALL OUT performed weaker than Double or Nothing on FITE, but that is no longer the case.

Jan 10, 2018
Spears is exactly where he should be. A midcarder/upper midcarder who jobs to the real stars.

Spears should do the job at the end, but I think the feud ended too quickly. Let MJF be officially in his corner, cost Cody the match, which creates tension between MJF and Cody, let Arn Anderson be the failsafe who lays out MJF at the TNT rematch and Spears jobs out clean.

You would have a hot feud on TNT, more heat on MJF, Spears would have atleast a win, Cody goes over.

Now you have MJF barely involved, Spears got nothin and Cody a nothing burger against Guevara.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Just popped in to thank Chris Jericho on behalf of this thread and the world for being our champion.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
As if there was any doubt https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/07/aew-on-tnt-cody-rhodes-wants-quality-over-quantity-ign-first Cody spelling out to dumb wrestling fans who always need a reason to complain that yes, The Card Is Subject To Change and just because it's advertised as Cody/Jericho for the belt doesn't mean it'll 100% be that for either

Rhodes himself is getting a shot at Chris Jericho's AEW Championship at the Full Gear PPV, coming November 9, but, according to Rhodes, that match might not wind up being as advertised. "This is one of the positive uses of 'card subject to change,'" he said. "I'm coming off a win over Dustin, one of the best of all time, and coming off a win over Shawn Spears, who's an absolute stud. Those were two huge wins. So me going for the title makes all the sense in the world. But it may not end up being me versus Chris Jericho. Because Chris Jericho still has a title defense before that in Philadelphia. And it may not be me if I take a loss to Sammy Guevara on the premiere episode. I think Chris Jericho is probably going to get through his first title defense, but if he doesn't we're going to stick to our word about win/loss records being a deciding factor. It's really about the data and who has the best record."

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
As if there was any doubt https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/07/aew-on-tnt-cody-rhodes-wants-quality-over-quantity-ign-first Cody spelling out to dumb wrestling fans who always need a reason to complain that yes, The Card Is Subject To Change and just because it's advertised as Cody/Jericho for the belt doesn't mean it'll 100% be that for either
"But. but. i need a reason to complain about AEW before I go back to watching whatever dregs the WWE are throwing out this week. Didnt you know? Paul Heyman is back so its OK to watch WWE now!"

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I must say, I did not expect them to stick to this win/losses matter schtick to the point where it could legitimately change matches on a PPV. That is both a wonderful and scary prospect IMO but I'll let them do their thing and come to conclusions after a few months.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I must say, I did not expect them to stick to this win/losses matter schtick to the point where it could legitimately change matches on a PPV. That is both a wonderful and scary prospect IMO but I'll let them do their thing and come to conclusions after a few months.

I mean I think they have to say that, but I highly doubt they're going to let that change big advertised booking like this. If they're advertising Cody vs Jericho for the title at their PPV, they are going to deliver that unless something unforeseen happens (eg injury like with Moxley). The TV championship match is completely lame duck at this point, but I guess they accomplished what they wanted with announcing that (ie helping with ticket sales).

On that note, I have a hard time seeing who they even put up against Jericho on 10/23. From a win/loss standpoint, who can they even justify? I guess Moxley? Though he hasn't even had an official match there yet. Pac? It doesn't seem like either of them should be taking a loss at this point though. I'm sure they have a plan for that match but it seems they really booked themselves into a corner there. I wonder if the Moxley injury threw things off- eg, the winner of that was going to face Jericho at Full Gear, and Cody was being set up for the 10/23 match.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Is the title being defended the first week of TV? If not they can do a basic multiman contenders match. Then people will nitpick the people in the match and how they deserve a spot but I just want some fair and sensible booking. A title shot shouldn't just go to someone who gaped at the champs belt or the first midcarder to hit their titantron and make it to the entrance ramp. Like any entertainment make it believable enough for me to go with it and not rub me the wrong way.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Is the title being defended the first week of TV? If not they can do a basic multiman contenders match. Then people will nitpick the people in the match and how they deserve a spot but I just want some fair and sensible booking. A title shot shouldn't just go to someone who gaped at the champs belt or the first midcarder to hit their titantron and make it to the entrance ramp. Like any entertainment make it believable enough for me to go with it and not rub me the wrong way.

The first title defense is on the third TV show (10/16). The TV debut just has Jericho in a six man tag match.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I mean I think they have to say that, but I highly doubt they're going to let that change big advertised booking like this. If they're advertising Cody vs Jericho for the title at their PPV, they are going to deliver that unless something unforeseen happens (eg injury like with Moxley). The TV championship match is completely lame duck at this point, but I guess they accomplished what they wanted with announcing that (ie helping with ticket sales).

On that note, I have a hard time seeing who they even put up against Jericho on 10/23. From a win/loss standpoint, who can they even justify? I guess Moxley? Though he hasn't even had an official match there yet. Pac? It doesn't seem like either of them should be taking a loss at this point though. I'm sure they have a plan for that match but it seems they really booked themselves into a corner there. I wonder if the Moxley injury threw things off- eg, the winner of that was going to face Jericho at Full Gear, and Cody was being set up for the 10/23 match.

This is why every single promotion that ever tried to do shooty w/l record stuff eventually abandoned it. It just doesn't really work with a traditional wrestling promotion. It hamstrings you too much from a booking perspective. There are plenty of ways to make wins/losses matter without treating them like gospel.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"You guys wanna head over to Applebee's, make fun of poor people?"

I will never not love MJF.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone find it interesting that Kenny Omega has kind of taken a back seat to everyone else, I did not see that coming. I thought he would be the poster child for AEW.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Does anyone find it interesting that Kenny Omega has kind of taken a back seat to everyone else, I did not see that coming. I thought he would be the poster child for AEW.
Kenny is already a draw and over with fans. It's not hard to see that they're using Kenny to help push talent people may be unfamiliar with. He can take a backseat for a while and win the belt late next year or whatever. He'll have his redemption push and win the title in due time.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
Kenny is already a draw and over with fans. It's not hard to see that they're using Kenny to help push talent people may be unfamiliar with. He can take a backseat for a while and win the belt late next year or whatever. He'll have his redemption push and win the title in due time.

I hear you, but hes not getting any younger.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I think that since they are just getting started, they have enough time to feature some characters more than others. You know Kenny's getting his title run eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.