• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

a966f4d587ac378df62459fc837b6249.jpg

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain how adhering to win/loss records as gospel hamper booking? I've never gotten that argument.

If you want someone out if the picture, book them to lose... And vice versa. And shoot fights have had grudge matches and fueds that don't necessarily revolve around their records or titles either.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
In a way he's right, NXT crowd is identical to the AEW crowd, and they were selling out arenas with NXT Takeover shows. Showed the market was there with hardcore fans

Interesting take.

I'm all in for AEW yet I've never watched an episode of NXT nor a Takeover.

Edit: even when I was wasting my money and time subbing to the network.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
That was my personal MOTN. I love the variety (a word WWE doesn't even know how to spell, let alone provide it) AEW provides. There should always be a place for the occasional hardcore match.
Variety is the thing I enjoy most about AEW shows to date, and what I hope the promotion continues to be about. I'm still not sure if that style is for me - Moxley and Janela left me cold since it felt like random violence with no story, but then the three-way at All Out was one of my favorites of the night. I'm glad it's part of the menu even if I'd never seek it out otherwise.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I know I sound like Jim Cornette, however I just am over the whole thumbtacks and staple guns and that sort of thing. I never watched ECW in its heyday (excluding buying one DVD from Sam Goody) so my first exposure was seeing Abyss do that kind of thing.

It just became tiresome. I did however like the Clockwork Orange matches and I did like some of the early 2000s WWF stuff with the 24/7 rule.

I used to be a HUGE fan of Ryuji Ito in BJW and thought he was amazing with how he could innovate using the light tubes. The problem there was that he was the only wrestler in that promotion I cared about.

AEW needs to be an alternative to WWE, but they need to have consistently great wrestling to separate them from the storyline garbage that WWE produces in my view.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The grand saga of Triple H and Indie Wrestling continues...
ed2.png

The audience for indie/foreign wrestling was already growing even before NXT blew up. Hell, NXT only really started to gain that much traction when it began to move away from it's initial status as a developmental program and became just a showcase of all the hot indie talent WWE hired. If anything, NXT wouldn't exist in it's current form if there wasn't already a palpable hunger for a product that wasn't the stale dogshit of main roster WWE or the straight poison of Dixie-era TNA.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
They (WWE) are nervous but also AEW needs to cut the Cracker Barrel Hardcore crap immediately. That has no place on PPV.

They print t-shirts that say AEW is for Everyone. For better or worse, it will be a variety show. If you don't like a match or character, just wait ten to fifteen minutes and see if you like the stuff after it. This is what we're getting, and I'm good with it. I just hope their PPVs get shorter. All Out would have benefited by being 20-30 minutes shorter.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think it's fair to say that the popularity of NXT probably helped AEW get a TV deal as quickly as they did. But NXT doesn't exist in a vacuum either, and it's no coincidence that the four guys that started this thing are the same four guys that raised the profiles of both NJPW and ROH higher than they've ever been in the states before.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

I am not against hardcore entirely. I like things such as Texas Death matches or Last Man Standing or stuff like that as a means to sell a feud. I don't mind blood but compared to my view as a fan say ten years ago, I think the idea of staple guns, stop signs, VCRs, light tubes, tacks, is a detriment to the success of AEW.

I think what some people are getting out of me criticizing AEW is that I want it to fail which is completely false. I want them to succeed. These days, other than monthly PPVs on the WWE network, I really only listen to shoot interviews and podcasts. I hardly watch Raw, Smackdown, or NXT.

While we are at it though, what is the general opinion on Starrcast? In November, it will be No. 4 in Baltimore. Are they doing too much, too soon?

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I am not against hardcore entirely. I like things such as Texas Death matches or Last Man Standing or stuff like that as a means to sell a feud. I don't mind blood but compared to my view as a fan say ten years ago, I think the idea of staple guns, stop signs, VCRs, light tubes, tacks, is a detriment to the success of AEW.
I disagree. I really enjoyed the match and there are a bunch of people who did as well and like those kind of matches. I can't see how you could come to that conclusion when it was only 1 match out of many in the show.

Deleted member 35217

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
That might have been my favorite match of the show and something that would drive me to a PPV.

New Talk Is Jericho this morning about the bubbly, the belt and going viral.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I wouldn't mind seeing them go a little heavier into the AAA partnership anyway, at least once they've established the product. I think using more of their AAA talents would help AEW stand out as a product different from WWE with more unique characters. I don't know, would bringing in some of the clowns or the minotaur at some point be too much?

tbh AAA has a stronger talent base on it's roster (and of course great connections across Mexico) and AEW should certainly exploit that.

As far as hardcore matches go, we already know that TNT isn't going for it, so I don't mind it being an occasional PPV thing. I mean, the Havoc/Darby/Janela match was basically just plunder, it wasn't exactly a deathmatch. Especially not compared to what you would see in GCW or FREEDOMS or whatever nowadays. The whole "UGH WWE IS PG THAT'S WHY ITS BAD" thing has always been dumb but doing a more hardcore product does have a significant market value

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I can't see Sammy really taking the step into stardom. Extremely punchable face, bad promo, bad wrestler......... even people who like him would admit he's divisive.

Not that he's a bad guy or anything, but man that face.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I wish his in ring character was more congruous with the look we get of him in his vlogs. He's a dirtbag youtuber in the ring. But he's such a sweet guy IRL.

The dirtbag youtuber thing is great! But it kinda feels weird watching both.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I wish his in ring character was more congruous with the look we get of him in his vlogs. He's a dirtbag youtuber in the ring. But he's such a sweet guy IRL.

The dirtbag youtuber thing is great! But it kinda feels weird watching both.

He's obviously still young and learning but when he went to DDT and was doing weird "you're racist because I'm white" promos it really made me question if he'll ever figure out a character haha

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Am I alone in thinking all the AEW merch has been straight trash so far? That Brittsburgh shirt gave me second hand embarrassment looking at it...

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If there is no Canadian TV deal announced this week I am just going to assume something fell through and we will just have to get it on Fite.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I disagree. I really enjoyed the match and there are a bunch of people who did as well and like those kind of matches. I can't see how you could come to that conclusion when it was only 1 match out of many in the show.

Oh no, it didn't hurt the PPV overall in my view. The PPV seemed solid and thus far, and it appears all of their offerings have been solid. I don't want to seem also that just because there is a match like that on the show, it means the whole show is terrible either.

I am glad JR is part of their team, Tony Schiavone, Justin Roberts, and I was happy with them crowning Jericho as their first World Champ.

I don't want people here to think because I say something negative that it means "Oh he hates the promotion entirely."

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I can't see Sammy really taking the step into stardom. Extremely punchable face, bad promo, bad wrestler......... even people who like him would admit he's divisive.

Not that he's a bad guy or anything, but man that face.

That face makes him a perfectly memorable heel. I think he's going to pop big on TV for this reason. That first match against Cody is going to get some eyeballs for sure. The panda entrance gear alone will piss some people off.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Am I alone in thinking all the AEW merch has been straight trash so far? That Brittsburgh shirt gave me second hand embarrassment looking at it...

The only ones I liked are the standard AEW logo shirt and the "AEW is for Everyone" shirt. Otherwise, yeah, embarrassing stuff.

That said, I just bought this...(not official AEW)

9o4uf2jrmxk31.jpg

First wrestling shirt I've bought in 5 years.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand people not enjoying the style but I mean, hired guys like Jimmy Havoc and Joey Janela for a reason.
I'm totally fine with hardcore matches but some people make it sound like Joey can't go without props when he's had a lot of fun matches that weren't like that in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.