• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
Am I alone in thinking all the AEW merch has been straight trash so far? That Brittsburgh shirt gave me second hand embarrassment looking at it...

I think I bought the Double or Nothing shirt as well as the just AEW type of shirt. Otherwise, the only other shirts I've purchased were Haoming x stuff I believe?

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, most wrestler specific merch in general is lame/nerdy/cringe worthy. That's not specific to AEW. The plain AEW logo stuff isn't too bad though. I might get a shirt or hoodie someday if I'm feeling wacky enough.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
That Spray Painted MOX t shirt is pretty cool, not that I'm dweeby enough to wear wrestling merch

Okay, so they're not ALL super embarrassing. Based on my personal tastes, these are shirts I'd actually wear in public...(the Leva Bates one is iffy, but I dig the 80s aesthetic)

aew1107-t_1.png
aew1095-t-1b6f_1.png
aew-t.png
aew1091-t_1.png
aew1082-t.png
aew1064-t.png
t05_1_1.png
t06_1.png
aew1041-t_1.png
aew-t_1_.png
don_thumb.png
t_5_5.png

Okay, they have more shirts I'd wear than I thought. Some of these would be gym shirts, some would be house-only shirts...but I'd feel comfortable wearing all of them in public to varying degrees...

Last edited:

ExKage

Sep 9, 2019
To be honest that looks more like poster material than an actual thing I'd want on my chest as a shirt?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
The AEW x Haoming merch has easily been the best merch so far:

aew1064-1_1.png

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
We never did get that Janela vs MJF match.

Time for THE APPLEBYS APOCALYPSE match at Full Gear.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
re: the merch

should note that if you wear a shirt with just a company name on it you are a total mark

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
He's obviously still young and learning but when he went to DDT and was doing weird "you're racist because I'm white" promos it really made me question if he'll ever figure out a character haha
I don't watch enough DDT to have ever seen this. I agree that does seem a weird angle. Especially considering he's latinx. Dirt bag vlogger is a fun shtick when taken in that context. He's always improving which is a large part of why he does the vlog anyway.

re: the merch

should note that if you wear a shirt with just a company name on it you are a total mark
I have a genuine question. Why do you even post in here? You clearly seem intent to let people know you don't enjoy this and only come in here to let people know. No one here seems to be overly markish. At worst just generally excited wants to enjoy this warts and all. I know that's why I'm here. Criticism is welcome with discussion but you always put things down as your way or nothing else. But you always seem to want to come in here and put down others general enjoymment. This passive aggressive stuff gets frustrating to scroll past on a near daily basis. So what gives?

I mean there's criticism and all but your taste is just so overly specific and clearly this will never be for you. Like... just go be happy. Go to the places that are talking about the things you enjoy. Why not just let people enjoy stuff you don't the way they want or leave the thread if you wanna put others down like this? This is genuinly one of the more obnoxious things I've seen you say. Maybe I'm not supposed to take you so seriously because of some unspoken shitty forum gimmick? It really doesn't end with you. I come home from a hard ass day of work carrying my office as one of the few competent people there and I have to see gate keepy shit like this? Wether joking or not that sucks.

EDIT: And just to be clear -- this isn't a "think of the brands!" sentiment. I could give a fuck about brands. AEW could die right now and that would be a shame. I'll still follow the people I like because of it. It changes nothing. Let people wear a shirt for a show they're interested in.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't watch enough DDT to have ever seen this. I agree that does seem a weird angle. Especially considering he's latinx. Dirt bag vlogger is a fun shtick when taken in that context. He's always improving which is a large part of why he does the vlog anyway.

I have a genuine question. Why do you even post in here? You clearly seem intent to let people know you don't enjoy this and only come in here to let people know. No one here seems to be overly markish. At worst just generally excited wants to enjoy this warts and all. I know that's why I'm here. Criticism is welcome with discussion but you always put things down as your way or nothing else. But you always seem to want to come in here and put down others general enjoymment. This passive aggressive stuff gets frustrating to scroll past on a near daily basis. So what gives?

I mean there's criticism and all but your taste is just so overly specific and clearly this will never be for you. Like... just go be happy. Go to the places that are talking about the things you enjoy. Why not just let people enjoy stuff you don't the way they want or leave the thread if you wanna put others down like this? This is genuinly one of the more obnoxious things I've seen you say. Maybe I'm not supposed to take you so seriously because of some unspoken shitty forum gimmick? It really doesn't end with you. I come home from a hard ass day of work carrying my office as one of the few competent people there and I have to see gate keepy shit like this? Wether joking or not that sucks.

I like you.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017

EDIT: And just to be clear -- this isn't a "think of the brands!" sentiment. I could give a fuck about brands. AEW could die right now and that would be a shame. I'll still follow the people I like because of it. It changes nothing. Let people wear a shirt for a show they're interested in.

Heh.

Sometimes I hit the show ignored content button for fun, especially when I see posts like this responding to the usual suspects, never surprised to see those who get quoted.

Good times

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

AbB3m9O.gif

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc

Heh.

Sometimes I hit the show ignored content button for fun, especially when I see posts like this responding to the usual suspects, never surprised to see those who get quoted.

Good times

Listen, if you want a fan group, go to Facebook. I'm a major wrestling nerd, the markiest mark of them all, of course I'm going to want to talk about one of the biggest promotions in the world with some of my favorite wrestlers in the world.

Wrestling is a dumb subculture. I mean we are all nerds for liking it. Calling someone a mark isn't calling them out, it's part of being a wrestling fan.

Now, that being said, I don't intend to gatekeep anyone from liking AEW or anything. I just hope that people use AEW as a launch pad for other wrestling that I do love. Like if you're excited for MJF/Janela, watch old Dojo Wars! If you think Darby Allin is awesome wait until you see his Ethan Page feud from EVOLVE!

Besides honestly if your enjoyment of an entire wrestling company is ruined by one guy just repeatedly saying "actually Yuka Sakazaki should be champ you nerd" then maybe you're just a little insecure in your hobby.

Btw I'll make sure to post pictures in a few weeks since I'll literally be attending the first TV show in DC live as a fan.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Now, that being said, I don't intend to gatekeep anyone from liking AEW or anything. I just hope that people use AEW as a launch pad for other wrestling that I do love. Like if you're excited for MJF/Janela, watch old Dojo Wars! If you think Darby Allin is awesome wait until you see his Ethan Page feud from EVOLVE!

OK, but the implication that watching a single promotion isn't enough IS gatekeeping. Yes, for some people watching AEW will lead to watching more/different wrestling but getting into this hobby deep is time consuming. I don't currently watch WWE and I am watching an average of 10-13 hours a week of wrestling. On heavy weeks, following multiple promotions that can spike big time. One of the ways that WWE chased folks out of this hobby was with the time commitment they were looking for people who were all the way in on their promotion. Raw, Smackdown, NXT, 205 (RIP in peace) and a PPV per month is what, an average of 9 hours a week? AEW is asking two hours a week of people and is promsing quarterly PPVs and occasional additional specials. For some, that's the time they have available and that's how they get back into wrestling.

Let people like things the way that is right for them. If someone comes knocking and says "Hey, AEW made me curious. Please point me in some directions." then great. Offer your suggestions. If not, realize their investment and passion is good enough and doesn't need to be validated by checking other stuff out.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Not only that.. but saying those same people have to go search out random indy footage is kinda offputting.

A lot of these fringe indy feds are not the easiest to find or the most accessible. Theres a big difference between catching something on live broadcast or cable TV and some smaller scale indy stream.

Its a lot of hoops for the average person to jump through.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beyond my full time job and full time college, I watch hundreds of hours of tv and movies and read comics and play video games. All I'm going to watch is AEW, by choice, because I just don't have time. Fuck gatekeeping.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Not only that.. but saying those same people have to go search out random indy footage is kinda offputting.

Fucking this. One of the biggest hurdles for me as I got deeper into this was the level of research associated with finding promotions I wanted to bother to follow. Who's wrestled there? Who holds the book? What rep do they have? Are any matches in the promotion rated? Is there any Twitter buzz around their shows? Then all of that shit has to be weighted against the tendency for hyperbole that most of all wrestling writing/criticism seems weighted with. (Meltzer's recency bias and recent statement that Miyahara is the best wrestler in the world 'that just does wrestling moves' and comparing him to Ric Flair spring to mind.) So with the obscurity of the information, unreliability of easy free ways to preview a promotion's content, myriad of billing platforms and wrestling writers and fans tendency to engage in hyperbole it is patently ridiculous to expect someone to go all in on wrestling as a BASELINE for fandom.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

That tease at the end! Also I LOVED the opening with Sammy. I hope they keep this up, it really lets you get to know the wrestlers more.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

giphy.gif

"These guys existed other places" is the dumbest argument I've heard against AEW.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
OK, but the implication that watching a single promotion isn't enough IS gatekeeping. Yes, for some people watching AEW will lead to watching more/different wrestling but getting into this hobby deep is time consuming. I don't currently watch WWE and I am watching an average of 10-13 hours a week of wrestling. On heavy weeks, following multiple promotions that can spike big time. One of the ways that WWE chased folks out of this hobby was with the time commitment they were looking for people who were all the way in on their promotion. Raw, Smackdown, NXT, 205 (RIP in peace) and a PPV per month is what, an average of 9 hours a week? AEW is asking two hours a week of people and is promsing quarterly PPVs and occasional additional specials. For some, that's the time they have available and that's how they get back into wrestling.

Let people like things the way that is right for them. If someone comes knocking and says "Hey, AEW made me curious. Please point me in some directions." then great. Offer your suggestions. If not, realize their investment and passion is good enough and doesn't need to be validated by checking other stuff out.

Watching one promotion is totally fine, but I judge AEW in comparison to the wide world of wrestling, not in a vacuum. Comparisons to other wrestling is literally part of any discussion when the world is so interconnected.

A lot of these fringe indy feds are not the easiest to find or the most accessible. Theres a big difference between catching something on live broadcast or cable TV and some smaller scale indy stream.

Its a lot of hoops for the average person to jump through.

I would understand if this was 1993 and you needed to trade tapes but literally every promotion in the world is available online easily, and a lot of it for free!

It's like, if your younger brother only watches MCU movies, that's totally fine. It doesn't devalue the movies. But one day you might want to have him watch The Matrix.

giphy.gif

"These guys existed other places" is the dumbest argument I've heard against AEW.

Watching one doesn't preclude you from the other

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Loved Road to TNT episode 2. They made Sammy Guevara look like a star and I think that Cody overlooking him is actually a mistake. Sammy only has to worry about that match on October 2. Cody has this match, his EVP responsabilities, his match at Full Gear, a show to produce etc. This match will be quite good, me thinks.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
Watching one promotion is totally fine, but I judge AEW in comparison to the wide world of wrestling, not in a vacuum. Comparisons to other wrestling is literally part of any discussion when the world is so interconnected.

I would understand if this was 1993 and you needed to trade tapes but literally every promotion in the world is available online easily, and a lot of it for free!

It's like, if your younger brother only watches MCU movies, that's totally fine. It doesn't devalue the movies. But one day you might want to have him watch The Matrix.

Watching one doesn't preclude you from the other
You seriously understate how difficult it cam be to seek out some of this stuff.

Seriously, stop with the superiority complex.

For many, wrestling really isnt about the in ring.
Its the producrion, the spectacle. Seeing that same product in a small, dimly lit gym isnt going to hold the same appeal.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Loved Road to TNT episode 2. They made Sammy Guevara look like a star and I think that Cody overlooking him is actually a mistake. Sammy only has to worry about that match on October 2. Cody has this match, his EVP responsabilities, his match at Full Gear, a show to produce etc. This match will be quite good, me thinks.
I appreciate the build they are doing. I'm looking forward to it too, which good on them, because on paper it didn't sound exciting.

I hope they keep up with this presentation on TV.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I appreciate the build they are doing. I'm looking forward to it too, which good on them, because on paper it didn't sound exciting.

I hope they keep up with this presentation on TV.
Now I hope that they feature the other participants on the first show the same way they did Cody/Sammy. Especially we need some Moxley stuff and we DEFINITELY need a piece on Riho.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Count me as someone that absolutely can't get into most indy wrestling. Part of why AEW has appeal is that it has the promise to be a mainstream promotion with the type of production values you expect from that, but actually a good wrestling product. That's why this is such a big deal for a lot of us. Because WWE has killed mainstream wrestling in America.

I love the Road to... series and this is no exception. It's amazing how easy it is to make an otherwise "random" match between Cody and Sammy to feel like a big deal. It's really that simple. Present both guys as worthwhile competitors who have something at stake and spell out the implications of the match. It's weird to think about just a TV match actually getting a build, and not something that's just announced the day of or the night of the show. I really hope this style of storytelling remains as part of the TV broadcast.

I do think it'd be nice if they focus hard on some other people in the next couple weeks. I love Cody and feel he has arguably been the MVP of AEW so far, but he is definitely by far getting the most promotion and at this point there are other people that could use some of this precious YouTube time.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
You seriously understate how difficult it cam be to seek out some of this stuff.

Seriously, stop with the superiority complex.

For many, wrestling really isnt about the in ring.
Its the producrion, the spectacle. Seeing that same product in a small, dimly lit gym isnt going to hold the same appeal.

I find that everyone likes wrestling for different reasons. Personally, in-ring is what I like! And that's why I like the promotions I like. I think in 2019 really everyone can find a promotion tailored to their tastes. I do agree that sometime soon production value goes a long way though. I think that's why BritWres promotions took off a few years back.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Listen, if you want a fan group, go to Facebook. I'm a major wrestling nerd, the markiest mark of them all, of course I'm going to want to talk about one of the biggest promotions in the world with some of my favorite wrestlers in the world.

Wrestling is a dumb subculture. I mean we are all nerds for liking it. Calling someone a mark isn't calling them out, it's part of being a wrestling fan.

Besides honestly if your enjoyment of an entire wrestling company is ruined by one guy just repeatedly saying "actually Yuka Sakazaki should be champ you nerd" then maybe you're just a little insecure in your hobby.

Btw I'll make sure to post pictures in a few weeks since I'll literally be attending the first TV show in DC live as a fan.
You lost me when you when you went after people who wear swanky logo shirts.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017

Okay, I'll open here. You're making me pretty mad. Facebook fan page? This is the reason half of us ignore you. You're so rude and talk down to people all the time in this thread and the monthly wrestling thread. You don't even engage with others. You take cheap pot shots.

The fact you ignore the main criticism of my post and go straight to saying others are insecure for disliking your attitude really shows off how egotistical you are about this stuff. You're calling people that want to wear an AEW logo shirt marks? Dude... grow up. That is like the obnoxious scene kids in high school judging people for their band shirts or some other dumb shit. Sub-culture shmub culture. Who gives a shit? That shit is classically toxic and you're bringing a lot of that shit that makes me avoid that exact subculture here. I don't think any one of us like you or your posts enough for you to call us a mark without assuming you're looking down your noses at us.

This isn't about the product. It's about you!

All of us are going to enjoy and criticize this shit whenever you come in here to put it down. I'd add the caveat about you lifting up the things you like but I really haven't seen it. Most everyone here knows the other promotions are online and readily available! Like I watch plenty of different promotions whenever it sounds like their big show will be something to tune into. I happily do that regularly and I bring friends when they can join. People come here because it is the interesting new thing. That means different interest levels and literacy about how the sport works. This whole hyper negative attitude without much deeper discussion on those things with a generally uninviting demeanor is what makes the discussion you bring dour and you hard to approach.

There's this attitude you have that some things just don't stack up to other things for you. And that in itself is okay. But, I don't have infinite time and find to watch every promotion under the sun. I don't have time to go back and dig through the history. To assume others do too is presumptuous. You clearly have a pretty high bar for what you think makes a match good and that's cool. However if you presented this stuff and talked about it differently it would be admirable. But this isn't what you do. You have to put other things down to lift your favorites up.

I genuinely could not TELL you who your favorites are based on the posts I've seen of yours. Not going to act like I see every post and page in the thread or around Era, but I honestly come up with a blank.You'll probably go and dig them up like that time Sweeney called you out, and whatever. At this point I don't care because that's then and a different matter entirely at this point because the thing that's actually at matter now is how insultingly low you clearly think of the rest of us.

I am genuinely astounded you're going to the premier taping. Based on how generally down on the shows I've seen you be it's truly strange and feels like more a move to make just go because you can. If I'm wrong literally nothing I've seen you say has ever gestured to the contrary. Have fun. I hope you enjoy yourself. Really, I do. I expect it to be a fantastic night and hope you come out loving wrestling as much as you ever have in your life and I look forward to the pics.

Just consider yourself talked to over the general icy feeling you put off. Perhaps review and make nice instead of pointing fingers the other way.

Last edited:

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fair to say that the popularity of NXT probably helped AEW get a TV deal as quickly as they did. But NXT doesn't exist in a vacuum either, and it's no coincidence that the four guys that started this thing are the same four guys that raised the profiles of both NJPW and ROH higher than they've ever been in the states before.
Except AEW has been a far bigger success than NXT ever was. You guys are massively overestimating how popular and influential NXT is.

There's a bunch of things that probably led to AEW getting their TV deal including NJPW making the Bucks and Kenny stars, Bullet Club merch outselling WWE merch, All In's huge success making a lot of non-wrestling fans take note of what they were doing, Tony Khan's connections, TV networks being desperate for live programming (especially if they've got an online service like BR Live that needs content) and even WWE's ridiculous TV deals possibly making TV execs take wrestling a bit more seriously. But NXT? lol no.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Except AEW has been a far bigger success than NXT ever was. You guys are massively overestimating how popular and influential NXT is.

There's a bunch of things that probably led to AEW getting their TV deal including NJPW making the Bucks and Kenny stars, Bullet Club merch outselling WWE merch, All In's huge success making a lot of non-wrestling fans take note of what they were doing, Tony Khan's connections, TV networks being desperate for live programming (especially if they've got an online service like BR Live that needs content) and even WWE's ridiculous TV deals possibly making TV execs take wrestling a bit more seriously. But NXT? lol no.
Don't forget the GOAT.
Ez1UkGb.jpg

(I just noticed that even though it's a generic thumb from a YT vid, it does the infinite Cassidys thing his t-shirt does)

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I really think it would be cool for Sammy to beat Cody in that first match. You would give Sammy such a big bump going forward and you could play up the angle that Cody just has too much going on to focus on Jericho and beat him.

Status
Not open for further replies.