• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Let's start off with some quick background on AEW. All Elite Wrestling is a new wrestling company owned by billionaire Shad Khan who also owns the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars and Fulham of the Premier League. The Khan family has reportedly invested $100 million into starting up the company. They have signed stars such as Chris Jericho and are close to a substantial TV deal. Their first show will be May 25 in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena and sold out in 4 minutes. Basically this has serious financial backing and real chance at being a major alternative to WWE.

Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega, and Matt Jackson are all executive Vice Presidents of All Elite Wrestling.

Cody Rhodes mentioned in January that it'd be cool to the engine from the AKI N64 wrestling games used again, but with a modern roster. Comment gets thousands of likes with many fans pointing out to Cody that AKI is still in business under the name syn Sophia.

https://www.gamesradar.com/meet-kenny-omega-wrestler-every-gamer-should-know/
Kenny Omega said:
"Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 remains the best wrestling game ever, in my opinion."

Kenny Omega is one of the best wrestlers in the world. He's a huge gamer who's entered fighting game tournaments and works for ESPN doing e-sports coverage. A former IWGP champion (the most prestigious title in Japanese pro-wrestling), he's fluent in Japanese and lives in Japan. He asked syn Sophia to follow him on Twitter so he could consult/ask them some questions, and they surprisingly followed him.

ioLi1sh.png

Matt Jackson also replied yesterday with a thinking emoji to a fan comment about AEW making a wrestling game with syn Sophia.

It'll be interesting to see if they can license the old engine to let fans modify it for a retro-style game with the AEW roster, or whether we see a new full-blown modern syn Sophia pro-wrestling game at some point. Even if nothing happens it's exciting that there's a new professional wrestling company around kicking the tires on a potential collaboration.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I wouldn't put much stock into shit Kenny and Cody are saying yet.

I want this though. Especially if they do partner with NJPW (sorry Fire Pro, I need some gameplay)

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had better matches in yukes engine than in akis, don't @ me

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
They could be more popular than the WWE just based off the games alone if they do end up using the AKI engine. Hell make it a GaaS to get it out quicker and just add wrestlers and costumes over time. It would be a popular streaming game too with all of those match types that wrestling offers.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would be fucking awesome. Haven't played a wrestling game since the original Def Jam Vendetta on PS2. So hoping AEW takes off as WWE fucking sucks.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This begs the question of what is syn Sophia? I mean, how big are they and how much of their staff from their wrestling game days remain? Basically, could they even make the wrestling game we all want and do they even want to? (which I guess is the bigger question)
They pivoted away from wrestling in a pretty hard way so I guess I just would be surprised if anything really ever came from this. Would love to be wrong though.
There's still a lot of designers, animators and programmers at Syn Sophia from the old Aki days who worked on No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000, Def Jam, WCW/NWO, etc.

Oh really? Does still beg the question of how interested they would be though.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
There's still a lot of designers, animators and programmers at Syn Sophia from the old Aki days who worked on No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000, Def Jam, WCW/NWO, etc.
I wouldn't go as far as saying "a lot", especially when this was not a big company.
It's easy to check game credits. Some left the industry, some are now at Sony or Square-Enix, some are freelancers...

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
EL Ray Network should have done a Lucha Underground game with Syn Sophia.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
With Kenny being a big videogame fan, would love to see this happen. Especially since I'm a fan of the AKI engine. AKI's N64 wrestling games were the best! And Kenny's right. VPW2 is the best wrestling game ever!

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I wouldn't put much stock into shit Kenny and Cody are saying yet.

I want this though. Especially if they do partner with NJPW (sorry Fire Pro, I need some gameplay)

Fire Pro has the game play and now with the Fire Promoter mode you can create, manage and run your own version of AEW. Kenny and the Bucks are already in the game even.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will end up with Kenny Omega being a guest in Style Savvy.
Hopefully if this happened, they have good netcode unlike Fire Pro, which was so bad one of the wrestlers in the game trashed the devs.

Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks hint about AEW video game at C2E2

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Omega and the Young Bucks hint about an AEW video game featuring the AKI engine (starts at 47:20):

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those games were released 20 years ago. Geez, that staff, probably left the company, and the code is probably no where to be found.
This ain't happening buds.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Those games were released 20 years ago. Geez, that staff, probably left the company, and the code is probably no where to be found.
This ain't happening buds.

See my post above yours. Kenny has been in contact with AKI, prior to this Q&A taking place.

They would not have teased doing a new game with the same engine and "some of the same people that worked on all those games" if the response from AKI hadn't been favorable.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a long time since the company formerly known as AKI made any wrestling games, though? synSophia seems comfortable in their new niche, so I don't see any new game coming out of these tweets.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Fyi - They have used the engine and made a wrestling game as recently as 2008 (Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2 Tokumori ) and there have been rumors they wanted to keep making wrestling games but nobody approached them to do it. I know that's still a long time ago but I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a long time since the company formerly known as AKI made any wrestling games, though? synSophia seems comfortable in their new niche, so I don't see any new game coming out of these tweets.

They made a Kinnikuman game in 2008, and also a mobile wrestling game in 2014. And also the Yakuza Black Panther games, the last of which was released in 2012, used the AKI engine for their combat. There's still some interest there from AKI, and they clearly still have the engine.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, a return of the AKI engine on top of a major wrestling license would be amazing.

WCW NwO Revenge, WrestleMania 2000 and No Mercy at the holy trinity of wrestling games, and three of the best couch multiplayer games EVER.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If AEW can pick up the slack of WWE, it's video games.

Holy shit are they stalling in this department, make a fun wrestling game and I'm in.

Oct 27, 2017
You mean like people buying the game when it's out?
Crowdfunding is not needed at all here.

Yeah and how many people will need to buy the game especially one from a new company. Let's not make out wrestling games are popular like in the 90s. Even crap like WWE attitude or whatever it was called back then used to sell because WWE and WCW were popular.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Having following wrestling for a bit, I do know that when Cody (in particular) are throwing teasers like these around, they tend to be "in talks". Of course, the important caveat is that talks may not produce an actual product, but I think it would be safe to assume that AEW and synSophia are talking to each other about doing a videogame together.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
AKI ghost made the original 2 Def Jam games right? because i'd love a new game in that style besides a traditional Wrestling game.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Yeah and how many people will need to buy the game especially one from a new company. Let's not make out wrestling games are popular like in the 90s. Even crap like WWE attitude or whatever it was called back then used to sell because WWE and WCW were popular.
That doesn't change the fact that they're massively rich and even TNA or ROH didn't crowdund their games.
Come on now, they're not a small poor underdog as much as they'd like to proclaim it.

Deleted member 35071

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
we need this desperately

afaik once AKI broke up and stopped making wrestling games....Yukes (the ppl that make WWE games) hired former AKI & FirePro staff.
so the ppl that made those games are likely long gone from Syn Sophia. But the one thing they do have. is the AKI engine. They own it. I remember the ProWrestling X dude mentioned years ago he had looked into licensing the engine. And they wanted like a ridiculous amount of money to use it. Like something crazy like a million bux. The closest thing to it since Def Jam Vendetta was probably the WWE games on GameCube. WM 19/Day of Reckoning 1 & 2. They felt like the AKI games

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See my post above yours. Kenny has been in contact with AKI, prior to this Q&A taking place.

They would not have teased doing a new game with the same engine and "some of the same people that worked on all those games" if the response from AKI hadn't been favorable.

I would love Syn Sophia to go back to making wrestling games, but why did THQ ditch them, why did EA not do more games with them?
Why didn't Midway approach them when making that terrible TNA wrestling game that was supposed to be similar to the AKI games?

I'm sorry but unless the kahn's can find a publisher willing to help and make this happen, it ain't.