• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I haven't been updating, the PS5 BC thread has swallowed my time. I plan to work on this thread this weekend. Thanks for your patience!

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
May I ask where it is captured that Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima have new modes when played on PS5 ? Are those the only two games that have that?

AnderITA

Feb 18, 2018
I have different games that not are in the list, If anyone tell me how to help with the list you are welcome! I tryed to put some uhd hdr video that I've recorded with the console but seems ps5 only upload @ 1080p

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Worth posting the Hitman 3 info from the DF topic on Era.

Surprisingly, the PS4 Pro version seems to be pulling in double duty, running higher visual settings and also providing an optional, surprisingly good, 60 FPS mode, making it the best last-gen version.

img[

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017

Surprisingly, the PS4 Pro version seems to be pulling in double duty, running higher visual settings and also providing an optional, surprisingly good, 60 FPS mode, making it the best last-gen version.

img[

I heard someone say they were being inconsistent listing PS5 resolution which is actually 3200x1800

Edit: never mind, that was more relevant when saying Series X is 4K and PS5 1800

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

img[

This really doesn't make even a lick of sense. So the PS5 version gets worse shadows and 40% lower resolution, which seems completely unjustified by the specs, but the Pro matches the One X while adding better texture filtering and an extra 60fps mode on top?

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about the PS4 PRO on a 4K screen.
I noticed some games look really fugly with lots of jaggies and shimmering on my 4K screen. The Supersampling doesn't work anymore on a 4K screen.
Is there any way to force 1080P and supersampling?
I'm sure 4K content will look absolutely amazing on my UHD screen but 1080P games look like shit without supersampling.
Sharpness is off, by the way. I know the settings of my screens.

Last edited:

Dynamo

Jan 1, 2021
I'm not sure I undestand your question.
There is no supersampling for 1080p games, they render at their native resolution.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I have a question about the PS4 PRO on a 4K screen.
I noticed 1080P games look really fugly with lots of jaggies and shimmering. The Supersampling doesn't work anymore on a 4K screen.
Is there any way to force 1080P and supersampling?
I'm sure 4K content will look absolutely amazing on my UHD screen but 1080P games look like shit without supersampling.
You've got it mixed up, supersampling works down, not up. Supersampling is only of benefit to 1080p users, supersampling/downsampling a 4K (or higher resolution than 1080p) image down to that 1080p display.

Also, is your TV properly calibrated? In my experience 1080p content looks perfectly fine on a 4K display, not a mess of jaggies or shimmering. Sounds to me like your sharpness settings are blown way out of wack.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You've got it mixed up, supersampling works down, not up. Supersampling is only of benefit to 1080p users, supersampling/downsampling a 4K (or higher resolution than 1080p) image down to that 1080p display.

Also, is your TV properly calibrated? In my experience 1080p content looks perfectly fine on a 4K display, not a mess of jaggies or shimmering. Sounds to me like your sharpness settings are blown way out of wack.
Thanx. No. I know how it works. I worded it wrong. I had a 1080P screen before and the downsampling made the games (that had a higher resolution) look really good.
It works like aa in these cases. Less jaggies and less shimmering. Sharpness is off. I always turn all the extra idiot features off.

Supersampled games looked better on my 1080P screen than without supersampling on my 4K screen. I hate the jaggies and shimmering.
So is there a way to fool the PS4 into thinking i have a 1080P screen? Just for some games.

I'm not sure I undestand your question.
There is no supersampling for 1080p games, they render at their native resolution.
Yeah sorry, worded that wrong. They have to be games with a higher res for supersampling to be able to work.
Some of those games looked better with supersampling on a 1080P screen than on a 4K screen (as the supersampling acs like AA).

Thanx though. By the way, maybe you can answer people directly. That way i get a notification. I only noticed your reply by accident.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to set your PS4 to output 1080p resolution, and not 4K. That'll let you select the Supersampling Mode option. Of course you'll have to go back and set it to 4K when you need it.
Thanx. Yeah that's what i thought. But the PS4 still recognises my screen as a 4K screen so supersampling simply never becomes available.
I don't think it's possible. But thank you fr your help.

LeVeL5

Sep 21, 2018
After the announcement of the free games for PS Plus today, I came to check the game's details and I didn't see Concrete Genie in the list...

This tweet from developer Pixelopus https://twitter.com/Pixelopus/status/1169883170277212162 confirms the game supports 4K but not HDR. I've googled but haven't been able to find indications that HDR has been patched in, or details regarding the actual resolution. When it's released next week I'll check it out and share more information and screenshots.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanx. No. I know how it works. I worded it wrong. I had a 1080P screen before and the downsampling made the games (that had a higher resolution) look really good.
It works like aa in these cases. Less jaggies and less shimmering. Sharpness is off. I always turn all the extra idiot features off.

Supersampled games looked better on my 1080P screen than without supersampling on my 4K screen. I hate the jaggies and shimmering.
So is there a way to fool the PS4 into thinking i have a 1080P screen? Just for some games.

Yeah sorry, worded that wrong. They have to be games with a higher res for supersampling to be able to work.
Some of those games looked better with supersampling on a 1080P screen than on a 4K screen (as the supersampling acs like AA).

Thanx though. By the way, maybe you can answer people directly. That way i get a notification. I only noticed your reply by accident.

I'm not an expert when it comes to these matters but I don't think that makes any sense. If I understand it right, supersampling works because it's rendering at a higher resolution then the amount of physically available pixels on your display and thus having a higher amount of information available to render a smoother image.
Since your display has a higher amount of pixels, the image needs to be upscaled. Rendering it at above 1080p, then downsampling to 1080p, then your tv upscaling it back to 4K would probably make it look worse.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not an expert when it comes to these matters but I don't think that makes any sense. If I understand it right, supersampling works because it's rendering at a higher resolution then the amount of physically available pixels on your display and thus having a higher amount of information available to render a smoother image.
Since your display has a higher amount of pixels, the image needs to be upscaled. Rendering it at above 1080p, then downsampling to 1080p, then your tv upscaling it back to 4K would probably make it look worse.
Yeah probably. As it's a 4K native resolution device. I just wish i could have some of the AA supersampling gives, haha... I watch / play on a big screen so i see jaggies more clear if they are there. But you guys are right.

LeVeL5

Sep 21, 2018
After the announcement of the free games for PS Plus today, I came to check the game's details and I didn't see Concrete Genie in the list...

This tweet from developer Pixelopus https://twitter.com/Pixelopus/status/1169883170277212162 confirms the game supports 4K but not HDR. I've googled but haven't been able to find indications that HDR has been patched in, or details regarding the actual resolution. When it's released next week I'll check it out and share more information and screenshots.

Concrete Genie doesn't supersample automatically on 1080p displays: inside the game options screen, there's a "4K" toggle that's greyed-out and off unless supersampling mode is on.

LeVeL5

Sep 21, 2018
I was looking for information on Miles Morales and I found it odd that it was missing from the list. I haven't found any definitive numbers on the web, but if it's the same engine as Spider-Man 2018, I figure the numbers should be about the same, between 1440p/1584p at 30 fps.

Last edited:

Hovahtsug

Backwards Compatible
Oct 11, 2020
Brazil
I was looking for information on Miles Morales and I found it odd that it was missing from the list. I haven't found any definitive numbers on the web, but if it's the same engine as Spider-Man 2018, I figure the numbers should be about the same, between 1440p/1584p at 30 fps.
Unfortunately Liabe is missing from Resetera, we hope he can return.

Any chance of adding what all the abbreviations mean into the main post i.e AO AF LOD WCG etc?

cheers :-)
AO: Ambiente Occlusion - its a shading technique to improve shadows and lighting
LOD: Level of Detail - its the object quality based on player distance
AF: Anisotropic Filtering
AA: Anti Aliasing
FOV: Field of View
DOF: Depth of Field

LeVeL5

Sep 21, 2018
Cheers for those Hovahtsug :-)

A few missing still though like WCG, MSAA, HBAO for instance?

Thx to anyone that helps :-)

WCG: Wide Color Gamut - means a wider color palette (more colors), it requires both, TV hardware and game support.
MSAA: Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing - an anti-aliasing technique variant, a bit more efficient than "brute force" super-sampling
HBAO: Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion - an AO technique variant, provides higher image quality than SSAO (screen space ambient occlusion)