• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

onanie

Oct 27, 2017
Inside a game engine, scenes are described in great mathematical detail. Your screen that the game will be displayed on doesn't have resolution that high, so the game decides what color each pixel will be by taking a sample from the underlying scene description. These samples can be taken in all sorts of patterns. A regular grid is the simplest to imagine, but using simple patterns can exaggerate the sharpness of transitions between color zones, the results being perceived as aliasing or shimmer.

Jittering is when the the sample position is moved around slightly each time, so that you get less predictable, less harsh transitions. But you probably don't want to just take samples at random, so often the "jitter" is repeated over and over in larger units. This is what I think we might be seeing on edges in Ys VIII. Here's a 400% zoom that shows what I mean.

ysartifactsicscs.png

Note how there's not a sharp edge, nor a gradually smooth edge, but noise broken up into chunks along the outline. It's not impossible that this is artifacts from checkerboard rendering (CBR). But it really doesn't look like it to me. As the name implies, CBR uses a regular grid. When it messes up, its artifacts are gridlike too. Here's a 400% zoom of a waving flag:

wd2artifactsx8std.png

(Note that CBR is almost never this bad; Watch_Dogs 2 has by far the worst CBR artifacting I've seen. I picked it precisely because it's unusual, an extreme example that's very obvious.)

Keep in mind that I include these details because I observed them and I try to be open about my analysis. In practice, even the worst case may be barely visible, from viewing distances on a regular screen. The noise in Ys VIII is not necessarily bad; it does soften edges and reduce aliasing. And on Pro, the game has a much higher resolution than on standard PS4. My personal feeling is that the tradeoffs are worth it, but you should make your own decisions. Here's the full 4K shot my zoom comes from. Check it out without zooming and see if it bothers you.

1506634118-ys-viii-lacrimosa-of-dana-ps4-tm-demo-20170928174908.png

You're right, it's always been phrased weirdly. I was trying to compact too much info into too few words, and the image didn't help. I've made revisions to both; please let me know if it's clearer now.

I apologize, but I won't have time to rectify the footnote problem today. It seems to control the alignment properly I'll have to make them part of the images again. This will increase the vertical extent of the lists, but they're too unruly otherwise. I should have this done tomorrow.

As always, any screenshots or video you can provide would be much appreciated. Any issues, comments, or suggestions are also welcome. Thanks!
Very informative. Thanks!

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Good job from Bethesda, after the disappointing Pro support in Prey, Dishonored 2 and Evil Within 2
Huh? What is so disappointing about increased graphical effects and a higher resolution, respectively? I'd use the word "disappointing" if there were no Pro support at all. Applying your definition of "disappointing" would cover most of the titles that have support.

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh? What is so disappointing about increased graphical effects and a higher resolution, respectively? I'd use the word "disappointing" if there were no Pro support at all. Applying your definition of "disappointing" would cover most of the titles that have support.
might be the lack of downsampling for 1080p displays

ClintStevens

Oct 27, 2017
Yes this thread is back thanks OP! I was so upset when it was taken down at the old site. Seriously this is such a great resource I'm very glad it's back.

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
The thread I was waiting for! It's great you decided to continue your work here, Liabe. Thanks for that!

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hurrah! Liabe is back =)
Glad to see your work found its place here.

Back to contributing: Spintire Mudrunner has Pro enhancements (written on the box at least). I can't compare it to the standard PS4 version though... I'll try to post a screenshot later.

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
It seems a new patch for Assassin's Creed Origins added HDR support.

From a reddit post:

Gameplay

Added parry ability to Aya playable character

Improved playable character, NPC's, and animal navigation

Balanced damages when executing an Overpower Chain Throw

Prevented sandstorm from appearing over water

Prevented playable character from changing stance during dialogue scenes

Fixed various issues with the playable character being stick in overheat stance, in haystack, or in the world geometry under certain circumstances

Fixed issue preventing players from picking up arrows in certain circumstances

Fixed issue preventing players from interacting with loot bags dropped inside cages

Fixed issue where screen would briefly turn black when entering plause menu in Stone Circle activity

Fixed issue where the thrown weapon could sometimes not hit the intended enemy when using the Overpower Chain Throw ability

Fixed issue with Critical attack ability where playable character could sometimes not reach his target

Fixed issue with caged lions attacks not dealing any damage

Fixed issue with Ledge assassination on sleeping enemies

Fixed issue with Sickle swords, heavy blunt & scepter classes not able transition from Charged heavy attack to Charged light attack

Fixed visual effect on Sickle sword's charged light attack

Fixed issue where arrows could sometimes not hit a moving enemy when locked on him

Fixed some inconsistencies when using the Parry ability with Sickle swords

Fixed weapon rotation when releasing a Charged heavy attack

Fixed camera movement when being on a to an enemy

Fixed issue where the playable character could lost health when parrying

Fixed issue with Captains throwing knives not dealing damage

Quest

Improved various cinematic transitions

Improved level of detail during several cinematic sequences

Fixed issue with the interaction with NPC's the Cat and Mouse quest

Fixed out bound issues in Present Day

User interface

Added back button icon to locked menu pages

Added category filters in the gear page of the store

Added a completed activity panel to some activity location

Added indication of the currently equipped gear in the shop upgrade menu

Added a hold gauge to Follow Road input representation

Improved Photo mode grid to follow Rule of Thirds principle

Improved the loot icon when purchasing a Heka Chest

Reduced text size in Arena wave display to prevent display issues in some languages

Disabled photo mode when in Stone Circles

Disabled critical messages when in Photo mode

Fixed some critical messages from appearing even if HUD is set to minimal

Fixed health bar display when aiming at Ptolemaic Champions

Fixed mission Quest icon in Daily Quest

Fixed issue preventing research folders from opening in Present Day menu

Fixed material icons display when deploying Senu

Fixed ellipsis glyph in Japanese, Korean, and Traditional Chinese fonts

Fixed various visual and functionality, menu issues

Graphics & Audio

Added HDR TV Support

System

Improved stability and performance

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn....a lot of fixes for ACO. Just wish they give me on/off option for individual HUD options like Compass, Enemy Detection Meter, etc. Have played through the prologue/Siwa region and this is really my only major complaint thus far.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's hoping the ACO patch's performance fixes do something about the cut-scene frame rates.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for your effort, Liabe.

Try Wipeout or The Last Guardian. Also Battlefield 1, if you enjoy the genre.

Ghost Recon Wildlands is pretty great.

Elder Scrolls Online is by far the worst.

After careful consideration I think I'll go with The Last Guardian as my next HDR game, thanks y'all

Horizon and FFXV were amazing HDR experience for me!

GT Sport by a long shot has the best HDR. Breathtaking stuff.

047.gif

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Genuinely cannot thank you enough for this list! Been very helpful over the past couple of months and thank you for bringing it with you!

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if boost mode screws with the PS2 games?

I'm having trouble with GTA 3 and just thought if this now.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Has anything been said about Call of Duty WW2?
The beta a couple months back was dynamic 1620p on Pro and dynamic 1080p on standard (resolution drops on both were only in the horizontal). I have not been able to track down any more recent information.

I've fixed the footnote problem now (if perhaps a little inelegantly), and added a couple new games, WWE 2K18 and Metal Gear Solid V. Note that MGS is listed as the Definitive Experience version, since both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are Pro-enhanced in this collection. Phantom Pain's first release also has support, but the earlier standalone Ground Zeroes does not.

Now that most of the format conversion and teething problems are hopefully done with, I can focus on adding to the lists. This requires input of video, screenshots, and other info about games potentially being added. If you can capture them yourself, or have links, please post them here. This would be greatly beneficial to the thread. Thanks, and let me know if you have any questions or comments.

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
From Vg Tech (WW2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85Yg5klWemw&app=desktop

The version tested was 1.04 for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

The PS4 version uses a dynamic resolution with the native resolution ranging from 960x1080 to 1920x1080. Some of the more demanding cutscenes on PS4 appear to render at 1920x1080 without any dynamic resolution scaling.

The PS4 Pro version uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest pixel count found being approximately 960x2160 and the highest count found being approximately 2640x2160. The PS4 Pro downsamples when outputting at 1080p.

On both versions there also is a temporal reconstruction technique used that improves the resolution for parts of the frame that are similar to previous frames and with this technique pixel counts can reach 3840x2160 on PS4 Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Yay, best thread.

Thanks again for your tremendous work

MultiverseMob I'm game to throw some money in appreciation of all the hard work.
Awesome to hear. Hey Liabe Brave this is xenorevlis from the previous home. Was wondering if you ever got around to getting a PS4 Pro, or if you'd be willing to accept us banding together to get you one as a thanks for all the hard work.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to hear. Hey Liabe Brave this is xenorevlis from the previous home. Was wondering if you ever got around to getting a PS4 Pro, or if you'd be willing to accept us banding together to get you one as a thanks for all the hard work.
I do not have a Pro, nor will I soon. I would never be so rude as to refuse a generous gift, but I want to emphasize that no one should feel any obligation to me. I knew what I was getting into when I started this, and it's my choice to continue. I will continue for the foreseeable future, regardless. I also can't promise that owning a Pro would noticeably improve or expand this thread. Beyond that, everyone should feel free to act as they wish.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Well, how about this: would it noticeably improve or expand your experience on the TV you have? So - for the games you play?
My standard PS4 has been broken for months, so I haven't been playing on my TV; mobile and DS for me right now. Anything would be an improvement (though I do not have a 4K screen). But I'm sure there are people less fortunate than me who would deserve it more, if that's what you're asking.

In any case, if you have more questions for me I'd prefer direct messages. It feels weirdly arrogant to speak about my personal situation in public when generosity is on offer.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't matter at all for the game that it is, but just out of curiosity, did the recent FF IX PS4 port have any Pro enhancements? :P

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Btw, nobody knows Fate/Extella's enhancements still?

That's crazy, I platinumed it months ago, and it made my Pro quite noisy during gameplay and cutscenes with character models. I assumed it was native 4K because there was never a jaggy in sight, never any artifacts or blockiness in the visual fx either. It has surprisingly good level of AF as well.

Still crazy that there is no official word and no detailed reports.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows if Tokyo Xanadu EX will have pro support? after the love that YS VIII got, will be dissapointing to see another vita game without those standards