• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hello everyone - I've been following the work of Liabe Brave since the previous forum and wanted to share my gratitude for all of his hard work.

From the beginning, many of us were aware he was running on a regular PS4, but at the moment he is actually without a working main console :(

I invite whomever can (I've messaged some of you already) to join together and help get Liabe a PS4 Pro!

From everyone I've been speaking to, we're already half-way to the MSRP of a PS4 Pro in the US (where Liabe is based).

Our current plan for this is donating over PayPal directly to Liabe. You can message me for the info, or message Liabe.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone - I've been following the work of Liabe Brave since the previous forum and wanted to share my gratitude for all of his hard work.

From the beginning, many of us were aware he was running on a regular PS4, but at the moment he is actually without a working main console :(

I invite whomever can (I've messaged some of you already) to join together and help get Liabe a PS4 Pro!

From everyone I've been speaking to, we're already half-way to the MSRP of a PS4 Pro in the US (where Liabe is based).

Our current plan for this is donating over PayPal directly to Liabe. You can message me for the info, or message Liabe.

Let's continue to make ResetEra a force for good!

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping Elite Dangerous sees a 4kish patch for Pro. Frontier were coy about it being a possibility in an interview around the launch of ED PS4.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I'm really hoping HDR isn't exclusive to Xbone X for Rise of the Tomb Raider :/

Wouldn't surprise me with the shit they pulled for the release of the game.

Liabe Brave ill be on the look out for a PS4 Pro, sometimes we have great deals on them. Do you have CEX where you live? Because if not, they sell used current-gen consoles in very mint condition. There is one in my town and another one in a town to a friend that ill be visiting on Saturday. if you want, i can check up and see if they already used Pro's laying around.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

I'm broke at the moment but when I get some extra cash, I'd be happy to contribute what little I can.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Hoping Elite Dangerous sees a 4kish patch for Pro. Frontier were coy about it being a possibility in an interview around the launch of ED PS4.
Perhaps now that the XB1X is out it would make more financial sense for them to create a patch for both platforms.
I'm really hoping HDR isn't exclusive to Xbone X for Rise of the Tomb Raider :/

Wouldn't surprise me with the shit they pulled for the release of the game.
Then again...

Fatal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've already discovered what the Evil Within 2 upgrades are, but here's a few before/after screenshot comparisons if anyone wants to see:

http://gearnuke.com/evil-within-2-pre-vs-post-ps4-pro-patch-4k-screenshot-comparison/

Again, an almost non-existent update for resolution. In this case, setting your Pro to 1080p via system settings to get a bigger FPS boost seems like the better way to go.

Good god, why don't they build in a performance mode into the game instead of burying it behind system settings that impact your entire console and games. Dare I say it...LAZY

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We've already discovered what the Evil Within 2 upgrades are, but here's a few before/after screenshot comparisons if anyone wants to see:

http://gearnuke.com/evil-within-2-pre-vs-post-ps4-pro-patch-4k-screenshot-comparison/

Again, an almost non-existent update for resolution. In this case, setting your Pro to 1080p via system settings to get a bigger FPS boost seems like the better way to go.

I see hardly any differences. :/ Only the in-door areas have different ambient occlusion. (Or is the light flickering?) It actually looks reduced post patch though...

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I see hardly any differences. :/ Only the in-door areas have different ambient occlusion. (Or is the light flickering?) It actually looks reduced post patch though...
There's basically no difference. I know it's against the rules here to call developers lazy but there's really no other words to describe Bethesda's PS4 Pro support.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
How's Origins support? I've heard that with patch 1,04 the game suffered a huge downgrade on pro.
If its true its a shame because i was almost buying.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The problems with Origins 1.04 are so severe I can't believe that it was intentional. I fully expect 1.05 to return it to the way it was before.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
They made a nice post about the "Power of the X comes to Bethesda games" before it's launch the other day, things that make you go, hmmm.
Doesn't have to make you go hmmm. MS themselves have been vocal about approaching loads of developers, so it's likely they have helped out a few devs financially by using their own engineers to help create some sort of X1X patch - and as far as market competition goes this is probably a justifiable expense to them.

However, as Digital Foundry, NX Gamer, and others have suggested having 2 systems with additional SKUs (as well as a lower-end system to target with the Switch) it will likely become more common to see support from developers as they design games in a way that allows more substantial use of the extra GPU, CPU, and RAM resources with a shared baseline for logic, player count, etc. (in most cases).

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I've added several games to the lists. Evil Within 2 looks to still be in flux, and I don't have framerate results, so it's still unlisted.

Note that there's an interesting quirk for .hack//G.U. Last Recode. The geometry renders at 1620p, and the textures generally much softer than that because they're smoothed PS2 assets. But the game has very high texture filtering (I'd guess 16xAF), so as glancing textures get further away, they actually get sharper. Eventually they show single-pixel-scale details, so more like native 4K. In stills it can give the impression of higher resolution for parts of the image. But in motion what the filtering shows changes abruptly, leading to noticeable shimmer.

I still need more material to check, but as a preview I believe NFS Payback is using CBR (or maybe some other form of temporal accumulation, but it looks like checkerboarding to me). Exact res and other details to come.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I second this. Followed his thread in the old country and do it over here since it's just priceless and hands down the best overview on the web. My donation is out to him <3

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where to post this question, and I don't want to start a thread for it, so maybe y'all can help. Does the PS4 Pro come with the vertical stand pictured in all of the marketing? Any listing I find for it doesn't list the stand as "included in the box" and I also can't seem to find the stand listed anywhere as an accessory available for purchase (at least not in Canada).

Thanks!! :)

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure where to post this question, and I don't want to start a thread for it, so maybe y'all can help. Does the PS4 Pro come with the vertical stand pictured in all of the marketing? Any listing I find for it doesn't list the stand as "included in the box" and I also can't seem to find the stand listed anywhere as an accessory available for purchase (at least not in Canada).

Nope, it's sold seperatly.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017

You can buy a cheap one for about $10 but I found the official one. I had my PS4 Pro standing vertical without the stand for months and my fans were always like a jet engine. I just bought the stand a week ago and my Pro is whisper quiet now.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What happened? Impressions on the previous page are positive.
Huh ? It's been smooth sailing on my end, what exactly are you referring to?
Sorry for the late reply...

The last patch caused some serious LOD problems for a lot of people, where objects and lighting are staying at "far" settings even when the player is right next to them.

The fact that it's not consistent (including the usual round of "it's not happening to me" posts) tells me that it's a bug of some kind, but no one can figure out what's triggering it. Hopefully they can get it sorted in the next patch.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a 1080p tv and am considering upgrading to a Pro or an X1. I would prefer to get a Pro do to my current library and preference for Sony 1st Party output but based on what I'm reading it seems like third-party 1080p titles will fair better on X1 due to the OS-level supersampling? Is this correct? I'm also a PSVUE subscriber and would love to put my OG PS4 in my bedroom to replace the PS3 but I'm just weary that the Pro purchase for 1080p display won't prove a big enough upgrade to make me happy. What are your thoughts?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I have a 1080p tv and am considering upgrading to a Pro or an X1. I would prefer to get a Pro do to my current library and preference for Sony 1st Party output but based on what I'm reading it seems like third-party 1080p titles will fair better on X1 due to the OS-level supersampling? Is this correct? I'm also a PSVUE subscriber and would love to put my OG PS4 in my bedroom to replace the PS3 but I'm just weary that the Pro purchase for 1080p display won't prove a big enough upgrade to make me happy. What are your thoughts?
While OS level SS is nice, it really comes down to the AA solution that exist for whether or not the image quality will drastically change. For example, Uncharted 4 looks fantastic even on just vanilla due to the AA implementation. If you're able to make the change without impacting your wallet retroactively, let alone if you will be playing with friends or not, then its really up to you.

Personally the sheer number of exclusive games I plan to get, already own, play online with friends, the improvement for PSVR, and the minor differences between X1X and PS4 Pro (especially since I have a PC that is over 2x the power of X1X and Pro combined) means I'm happy with my purchase - and I game on 1080p screens.

If you want to chat about this more how about over PM, or in a thread about getting a Pro for 1080p folks specifically? It will help keep from derailing this thread too much.

PabloTheThird

Oct 25, 2017
I asked Mob this personally but I wanted to ask some people here about it if that's ok. Why hasn' there been too many checkerboard games out this year is it too difficult to implement and are there confirmed checkerboard games going into 2018?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

The Xbox One X is the more powerful console and it does support downsampling for every game out of the box. That is indeed not a given on PS4 Pro. How much better games on the X look varies on how much effort developers put into optimizing a game for it. Shadow of War and Tomb Raider are two games that one has to admit look a good deal better on the X than on the Pro where the resolution is significantly lower and no 4K textures are being used. Funnily enough games like AC Origins however, which was foremost marketed for the X, doesn't actually look that much better than the Pro version as a recent Digital Foundry analysis showed. Basically just the image is a little crisper and shadows draw in a bit farther into the distance. That's basically it. Downsampled on a 1080p TV you would probably not make out much of a difference between the two versions.
In my opinion games like Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Final Fantasy XV or the Witcher 3 look already really pretty and clean on my Pro, downsampled to my 1080p TV. I honestly don't know how much better the X could even make them look. Especially Sony games are imo already among the prettiest games, even compared to PC games.
About 85% of all games do downsample on the Pro by the way (I counted it some weeks ago), that is a big chunk and in my case so far only The Last Guardian didn't downsample as a game that interested me. All other games that I planned to buy did downsample. Well, there's Injustice 2, lol. No one is really sure if it downsamples or not. Even on a 1080p TV and maybe not downsampled it looks significantly better on the Pro than on base consoles. Really crisp and clean, great textures and texture filtering and high quality motion blur...

Last edited:

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the late reply...

The last patch caused some serious LOD problems for a lot of people, where objects and lighting are staying at "far" settings even when the player is right next to them.

The fact that it's not consistent (including the usual round of "it's not happening to me" posts) tells me that it's a bug of some kind, but no one can figure out what's triggering it. Hopefully they can get it sorted in the next patch.

You are ofcourse right, I decided to load up the game to see what all the fuss was about and it was immediatly noticable. :(

WilltheFo

Nov 11, 2017
Great thread. Been following it since Gaf, but finally decided to stop lurking.
Could I suggest a short section (I'm talking a few sentences) of the post detailing some basic guidelines for submitting screenshots/videos etc?
For instance, preferred file formats (.png) and resolutions, hosting services, whatever else.
I feel as though including these things somewhere might help standardise some of the work being done by other members. It may also increase the number of submissions overall if people are more informed as to a preferred process.

As an aside, I will probably start working on some screenshots myself in the next couple of weeks, as I now have access to a PS4 Pro and a normal PS4. Not sure how long that will last, so I will try to get some information from it.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if/when Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting HDR support on the Pro? I'm getting a new TV next week and wanted to replay it but if it's getting HDR I'm going to wait.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017

Good showing on the pro . The X looks slightly better with improved shadows and AO but these kind of differences are not drastic definitely not a Wolfenstein 2 situation.

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if/when Rise of the Tomb Raider is getting HDR support on the Pro? I'm getting a new TV next week and wanted to replay it but if it's getting HDR I'm going to wait.
I hope it comes to PC too. Really annoying as it was actually shown with HDR on PC in 2016 but it never materialised :/

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
it is definitely on the list of upcoming enhanced X games. I think it was added later
It was on the list. Hoping it happens. Bethesda and their studios are awful about communication for Pro and X enhancements until they come out. Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II were announced to have HDR over the summer and it hasn't happened and not a word has been said about if it's coming or not. Doom is one of my most wanted games to get Pro support and I think it would scale up really well.

Oct 27, 2017
it is definitely on the list of upcoming enhanced X games. I think it was added later

It was on the list. Hoping it happens. Bethesda and their studios are awful about communication for PRO and X enhancements until they come out. Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein II were announced to have HDR over the summer and it hasn't happened and not a word has been said about if it's coming or not.

10-4. I would like to think it would be supported as well, or there will be a meltdown, rightfully so.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
For South Park: The Fractured But Whole the game is listed as "2160geo" I'm curious what that means?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe it means that the edges and geometry are 2160p. Someone correct me if this is wrong as I am not sure if thats correct
Yeah, it means the Geometry is rendered at 4K but everything inside it is not. I've noticed on games like Bound and GR2 that this technique works great. However, I'd dare to say that South Park does not use this and is an actual 4K native res that is implemented.

PabloTheThird

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it means the Geometry is rendered at 4K but everything inside it is not. I've noticed on games like Bound and GR2 that this technique works great. However, I'd dare to say that South Park does not use this and is an actual 4K native res that is implemented.
I noticed Bound is free, Im gonna check out the game to see this implementation