• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Thanks for the rehost! I can now see that the screen is full 4K. There's a lot of chromatic aberration present, and the soft shadow lighting is being calculated at a lower resolution. These things interacting with the compression is why my earlier count was much blockier.

There's aggressive TAA present, so it's very possible the overall resolution is being achieved through temporal reconstruction. (With a shot like this where most things are still, the results should be nearly indistinguishable from native rendering.)

I uploaded a few more gameplay screenshots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I uploaded a few more gameplay screenshots.
Thank you! Anthem seems to be running at 1800c. There are artifacts that indicate use of CBR, but they're not particularly bad. I don't see as much distortion from TAA as in the title shot, though this may be due to coincidence. Other things I noticed were a little nice POM, and decent-but-not-great console-level AF. There's little to work from so far, but it seems environmental reflections may be cubemap-based. (Take that with a grain of salt, though.)

If anyone has any questions, or material to contribute to the thread, please feel free. As always, much appreciated!

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
The Forest: I guess it is 1080p and there's a performance mode in the game that makes it run at an unlocked framerate (60 fps cap), although with LOTS of screen tearing (No V-sync?). Anyway, since the performance mode is an option for the normal PS4, maybe it does not have Pro support at all.

https://abload.de/img/theforest_20181220234t0fvc.png
https://abload.de/img/theforest_20181220235luec6.png

I also uploaded some screenshots from Darksiders 3 (patch 1.05) to help you determine the resolution of the game:

https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_2018122ocdk3.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_2018122q3djz.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_2018122g3frj.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_20181222xeo4.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_20181220mczn.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_2018122zscno.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_2018122icfhm.png
https://abload.de/img/darksidersiii_201812238e1i.png

Last edited:

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
So I got Lego DC super villains for Christmas and it says it's pro enhanced. On the xbox one x enhanced page it says it has hdr. Does the ps4 version have it as well?

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Vermintide 2:

Ao4MLF.png

Ao4Ya3.png

This game is 30fps, stable even with a lot of enemies on screen.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Tales of Vesperia Definitive screenshots courtesy of Tyaren

These are 1080p however, hopefully this allows counting if the game supports super sampling (or even a higher resolution in the first place).

32808329478_d0726bb212_o.png

32808329688_8a666ff251_o.png

32808329348_576fd6df40_o.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Could the resolution of Vesperia be something like 1440p on Pro? I just compared images of it with corresponding images of the Switch version, which is definitely 1080p, and while I could make out aliasing steps on both PS4 Pro and Switch, I counted more steps on the same slanted line in the Pro version image.

Ruin

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I can safely say that the implementation of system wide Supersample on the PS4 Pro is BAD. It fixes the aliasing, but makes the overall IQ VERY blurry, I have witnessed it in multiple use cases, the latest being RDR2, AC rogue and dishonored 2.

From my understanding the issue is an artifact of CBR (fake 4k) ? if the game reconstructs itself from a certain resolution to 4k, the console supersamples the reconstructed 'fake 4k' image, instead of the native resolution, which is causing the blurriness.

So after all, this features is doing more harm than good imo, since some dev will just rely on it to do the supersampling.

Thankfully a lot of developers such as of the new AC games, do their own supersampling.
But I do fear future games using 4k reconstruction methods and relying on the system to do the work.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
How is the RE2 demo on Pro? Wanna decide if I want to play it on my ok-ish PC or on my pro.

Runs at a flawless 60 fps likely at 1080p. Surprisingly has better IQ than Xbox X for the same demo. Demo does not have a 4K/30 mode but reportedly the final full game will.

Have played the demo twice on my Pro already, will check the PC demo after work today to see if my PC can handle it better there, the ridiculous VRAM usage requirements from the PC demo thread are a bit concerning.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused is Okami HD not native 2160p?
OP says it has the same technique as Bound and Gravity Rush 2. Seems weird they'd go for a technique like that for a PS2 game
okamihd97fc9.png

This is great, thanks! The game is 1440p, and--from other research--with a higher framerate on Pro as well. I'll add it to the list as soon as I get time, but I wanted to let you know that I saw and appreciate your screenshots.

I hadn't put it on the main list because while I did find native 4K screenshots, they were from before the game was released, and didn't definitively come from the PS4 Pro (there's a PC version as well). And though there were claims of "4K support", that doesn't always mean rendering resolution. But in that case it should've been on the "need more info" list. My apologies for the omission.

Fortunately, I've now been able to track down post-launch shots, and can say with some certainty that the game is indeed 2160p. (Though this is hampered a bit by some very low-res texture assets, as well as dithering that's baked in at 1080p.) I'll add it soon as well--thanks for reminding me!

This post makes it sound like it could be native too?

Jan 13, 2019
Absolutely brilliant thread man! Everything I want to know all in one place! Great work man!

Any possible chance of an edit to the first post(s) on page one to include a key of all the an acronyms? AO? LOD? etc etc

Thx loads in advance! :-)

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I am extremely sorry for my very long absence from the thread. My job has been eating up my time, and while I could read along I didn't have time to sit down and do research and analysis. I should've posted something to that effect to be transparent though, so please forgive my dead silence.

Unfortunately, it looks like there's still a month or two more to go with this major project I'm on, so posting of new games will continue to be intermittent and occasional. Please feel free to continue to post screens and links, and I'll get to them as soon as I can. Thank you all for your patience!

I can upload these same screenshots from a PS4 PRO output to 4K monitor if that's useful for anything?
Thanks so much for these! Yes, pixel counting can only measure up to the resolution of the screenshot being used, so if a game is above 1080p the screenshot needs to be, too. (Technically there are ways a smaller screenshot can reveal higher resolution, but they're uncertain and very hard to analyze effectively.)

Could the resolution of Vesperia be something like 1440p on Pro? I just compared images of it with corresponding images of the Switch version, which is definitely 1080p, and while I could make out aliasing steps on both PS4 Pro and Switch, I counted more steps on the same slanted line in the Pro version image.
Yes, Vesperia is 1440p. It's been added to the list.

The new Hitman HD collection runs at 2560 x 1440 and natively supersamples:

https://www.ioi.dk/hitman-hd-faq/
Thanks so much! I haven't been able to analyze shots myself, but this info from the dev is so specific and detailed that I think it can be trusted. I've gone ahead and added the game, even though I usually don't do that based solely on the word of a developer.

I'm confused is Okami HD not native 2160p?
OP says it has the same technique as Bound and Gravity Rush 2. Seems weird they'd go for a technique like that for a PS2 game

This post makes it sound like it could be native too?
So "geometry rendering", the technique I abbreviate with "g", does use extra samples like native higher resolutions. However, this extra detail is only rendered for the geometry in the scene, the actual edges of objects. The surfaces of things, like textures, aren't improved. (This includes alpha textures used to simulate objects, e.g. grass sprites or light trails.) And this is what Okami looks like it's doing, with the much sharper vertices but most of the screen lower-resolution than that. As I said, there's even dithering at 1080p still visible in the "4K" mode.

That this modern technique would be applied to a PS2 game is I think due to how the HD version works. When it was updated for PS3, the game had 4x MSAA added. This basically means taking a lot of extra samples near edges, but you don't render all of them. You just use the value they would be to adjust the values of rendered pixels along the edge. Because of the averaging, the transition is more gradual and smooth, removing flickering.

One straightforward way to achieve geometry rendering is to force MSAA samples to be rendered fully, adding in the small detail. But since this isn't done across the whole image, it's cheaper than full supersampling.

Absolutely brilliant thread man! Everything I want to know all in one place! Great work man!

Any possible chance of an edit to the first post(s) on page one to include a key of all the an acronyms? AO? LOD? etc etc

Thx loads in advance! :-)
Yes, that's a good idea. But due to the work situation I described above, it will likely be weeks before I can implement it. I'm sure if you have specific questions posting them in the thread will get explanations from others.

Ace Combat 7 - https://youtu.be/1iDQEf5CHrU (PS4: 972p, unstable 50 ~ 60fps/ PS4 Pro: 1080p, almost locked 60fps)

Btw, couldn't find Life is Strange 2 on the first page. No Pro support for it?
Thanks! Added to the list. As for LiS 2, given that Before the Storm had Pro support added you'd think the full sequel would too. But it's not listed as such on the PlayStation site (though they're often wrong), and I haven't found anything where the developer or publisher has claimed it. And the screenshots I've looked at have been 1080p, even when outputting at 4K from Pro. There may still be support, though, as games can have benefits besides higher res.

One other note about what I added to the lists. The first Vermintide game ran with an unlocked framerate, and so did the beta for the sequel. But every piece of footage I've found of the final release of Vermintide II has been 30fps, even if the video was captured at 60fps. Does anyone know if there's a graphical option to cap framerate in the game? Or perhaps the developer just decided to cap it for everyone. (The prior game and beta were not stable at all, sometimes swinging well upward but with big drops during action; a cap can feel better in these cases.)

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
One other note about what I added to the lists. The first Vermintide game ran with an unlocked framerate, and so did the beta for the sequel. But every piece of footage I've found of the final release of Vermintide II has been 30fps, even if the video was captured at 60fps. Does anyone know if there's a graphical option to cap framerate in the game? Or perhaps the developer just decided to cap it for everyone. (The prior game and beta were not stable at all, sometimes swinging well upward but with big drops during action; a cap can feel better in these cases.)

There is no performance mode, game is pretty much locked 30fps. I didn't realize the beta was unlocked intentionally so it did feel like 60fps in the intro area while the full game.

Last edited:

felipecaol

Jul 5, 2018
I am extremely sorry for my very long absence from the thread. My job has been eating up my time, and while I could read along I didn't have time to sit down and do research and analysis. I should've posted something to that effect to be transparent though, so please forgive my dead silence.

Unfortunately, it looks like there's still a month or two more to go with this major project I'm on, so posting of new games will continue to be intermittent and occasional. Please feel free to continue to post screens and links, and I'll get to them as soon as I can. Thank you all for your patience!

Thanks so much for these! Yes, pixel counting can only measure up to the resolution of the screenshot being used, so if a game is above 1080p the screenshot needs to be, too. (Technically there are ways a smaller screenshot can reveal higher resolution, but they're uncertain and very hard to analyze effectively.)

Yes, Vesperia is 1440p. It's been added to the list.

Thanks so much! I haven't been able to analyze shots myself, but this info from the dev is so specific and detailed that I think it can be trusted. I've gone ahead and added the game, even though I usually don't do that based solely on the word of a developer.

So "geometry rendering", the technique I abbreviate with "g", does use extra samples like native higher resolutions. However, this extra detail is only rendered for the geometry in the scene, the actual edges of objects. The surfaces of things, like textures, aren't improved. (This includes alpha textures used to simulate objects, e.g. grass sprites or light trails.) And this is what Okami looks like it's doing, with the much sharper vertices but most of the screen lower-resolution than that. As I said, there's even dithering at 1080p still visible in the "4K" mode.

That this modern technique would be applied to a PS2 game is I think due to how the HD version works. When it was updated for PS3, the game had 4x MSAA added. This basically means taking a lot of extra samples near edges, but you don't render all of them. You just use the value they would be to adjust the values of rendered pixels along the edge. Because of the averaging, the transition is more gradual and smooth, removing flickering.

One straightforward way to achieve geometry rendering is to force MSAA samples to be rendered fully, adding in the small detail. But since this isn't done across the whole image, it's cheaper than full supersampling.

Yes, that's a good idea. But due to the work situation I described above, it will likely be weeks before I can implement it. I'm sure if you have specific questions posting them in the thread will get explanations from others.

Thanks! Added to the list. As for LiS 2, given that Before the Storm had Pro support added you'd think the full sequel would too. But it's not listed as such on the PlayStation site (though they're often wrong), and I haven't found anything where the developer or publisher has claimed it. And the screenshots I've looked at have been 1080p, even when outputting at 4K from Pro. There may still be support, though, as games can have benefits besides higher res.

You are amazing, Liabe Brave! Thanks so much for so much effort to make this list and give us all this information for so long time. Congratulations from a brazilian friend.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
Question, for a 1080 display, should I leave the supersampling mode in the ps4 settings always on, or just turn it on for games that don't automatically downsample like rdr2? Would it being on affect games that automatically downsample like GoW?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Question, for a 1080 display, should I leave the supersampling mode in the ps4 settings always on, or just turn it on for games that don't automatically downsample like rdr2? Would it being on affect games that automatically downsample like GoW?

That's also something that I'd like to know. With unfortunately more and more games not automatically downsampling anymore (because of the implementation of the forced supersampling mode?) and Digital Foundry or NX Gamer not analysing every game and often simply omitting to mention supersampling on 1080p TVs, I often don't have a clue which mode to pick and which resolution I am actually looking at. I'd leave the forced supersampling on all the time, but since it in some cases does do a poor job, I am worried it'll also mess up supersampling that a game would automatically do. It's actually kind of stressing me out each time a new game releases.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
That's also something that I'd like to know. With unfortunately more and more games not automatically downsampling anymore (because of the implementation of the forced supersampling mode?) and Digital Foundry or NX Gamer not analysing every game and often simply omitting to mention supersampling on 1080p TVs, I often don't have a clue which mode to pick and which resolution I am actually looking at. I'd leave the forced supersampling on all the time, but since it in some cases does do a poor job, I am worried it'll also mess up supersampling that a game would automatically do. It's actually kind of stressing me out each time a new game releases.

Leave it on, it doesn't affect games that automatically supersample since they render at a certain resolution no matter the display.

Jan 13, 2019

Thx for the reply man! :-) Totally understandable.

Do you, or anyone else know, the differences between Skyrim VR on the PSVR and PRO since the patch in 22nd June 2018? As the main page is written before then and I'm wondering if it's only supersampling still or if anything else is better on the pro too?

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, can some frame rate issues with games be fixed through system software updates or do they all have to come from the developer through software updates. I'm referring specifically to The Last Guardian. As old as it is there will most likely not be another patch to fix frame rate drops. Otherwise I guess I just have to wait for the PS5 to fix issues?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious, can some frame rate issues with games be fixed through system software updates or do they all have to come from the developer through software updates. I'm referring specifically to The Last Guardian. As old as it is there will most likely not be another patch to fix frame rate drops. Otherwise I guess I just have to wait for the PS5 to fix issues?

Game updates will mostly (or exclusively) come through the game patches itself. System updates are usually for general system (OS/UI) performance and patching possible exploits or patching in new system level features (like super sampling etc). Most "stability" updates you get on PS4 are probably just system maintenance patches or updates to make PSN functionality not fuck up or something I guess.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have not had time to read up on this in depth recently because of KH3 and other stuff but I am getting confused,

I play PS4pro on a 4k tv, i am so confused on whether or not to turn 2160p down to 1080p, and having supersample on or not, or boost mode on or not. People are telling me that my copy of Red Dead Redemption 2, or Kingdom Hearts 3, on PS4PRO would look best with 1080p mode, but sometimes turn supersample off? Sometimes have it on? Idk. I decided recently to just leave the system at 4k resolution and super sample on because it sounds "good" , and hdr on obviously.

i have no idea how i am supposed to play with the best visuals on my system and why i would even need to turn 4k down to 1080p. (i understand that checkerboard 4k is not full 4k, i get that), But is the difference seen so much that ppl are suggesting me to turn it to 1080p for playing RDR2 and KH3 ?

Hopefully my comments here are understood.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
In the case of Kingdom Hearts 3. You have a few choices.

Best visuals: Play the game with your PS4 set to 2160p. In-game you have a choice for either a stable 30 FPS mode which has bad frame pacing (will cause notable stutters) or an unlocked frame rate that doesn't get anywhere close to 60.

Best performance: Manually go to your PS4 display settings and change resolution to 1080p and run the game in the unlocked frame rate mode from the in-game settings. You will get a nearly locked 60 FPS experience though at a reduced resolution of 1080p.

Super Sampling is a non-issue if you're running on a 4K TV. Your PS4 won't even show you the option to enable or disable it. That option is only available for TV's or displays which can only do 1080p. If you're on one of those TV's and want to play KH3 with the best possible performance, *then* you need to disable that option.

However: KH3's resolution increase in the "4K" mode is so insignificantly small (1080p to 1280p) that you are much better off going for the best performance route.

-

Red Dead Redemption is similar to the above in terms of *performance*. Forced 1080p with super sampling disabled yields a 100% locked 30 FPS performance. Though on the visuals front it's an opinionated thing. I prefer the cleaner look of the 2160p mode, some people prefer the slightly 'sharper' yet rougher look of the 1080p mode there.

Last edited:

ussjtrunks

Oct 25, 2017
How well does kingdom hearts 0.2 run on pro from those that have played it, 40-60 seems like a rather wide variation. Is there no 30fps mode?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Here are some developer comments on PS4 Pro support for today's release of Xing: The Land Beyond:

2D mode:
I can't image not making use of the extra hardware in the Pro. It really makes quite the difference, and is very well suited for VR.
Even on a television, the Pro runs at either 1080p @ 60hz with the highest settings (what you are seeing in the trailer) or 4k @ 30hz locked at highish settings, user choice. The base PS4 runs at 1080p at either unlocked 60hz medium settings or locked 30hz at high.

PSVR mode:
We think we have! Hehe, due to some optimizations I've gotten the base PS4 to run it slightly better than the basic Rift / Vive settings, and the PS4 Pro running at 140 - 160 percent super sampling, with mediumish settings. That's not far off of what I can do on my GTX 1080 really, and the PS VR screen is marvelous.

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost of a Tale will be Pro enhanced, according to the dev blog post:

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X will benefit from improved textures and higher resolution (compared to the basic PS4 and Xbox One). Framerate will still target 30fps on all platforms.

Wonderbrah

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
does lego city undercover have pro support? apparently it's on the back of the box but i couldn't find any information on what's actually enhanced.

-Raven-

Jun 26, 2018
It would be fun if this was native 4K for the sake of the character models.

This would be helped even more with ESRGAN, though. I wonder if we might see devs following modders' lead with that.

Well I'm new at count pixel and resolution, but its giving me 1920x792p

2560x1440p

PS: Trying to help Liabe a little
Edit: Oh he already post this...sorry

Anthem:

WWBuVT.png

WWBoAz.png

Also here is a BFV screen on lensdump with movement:

in my count, Anthem 3328x1872p, but all this chromatic A. is giving me a headache...i dunno if its correct...

I counted 2944x1584 in the first screen, and 2688x1440 in the second one. So basicaly is dynamic like FarCry 5 and all DLC

but like i said, take it with a grain of salt...I'm new in this kind of stuff

Last edited:

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Apologies for asking as I couldn't find any confirmation on this; are the Persona Dancing games Pro enhanced?