• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Finally got my hands on a Pro, read the FAQ and just want to confirm:

I have a 1080p TV so I set up the 'boost mode' (that should work on games that are not made for the Pro) but I am not sure if I should toggle Downsampling or not? Seems like the best thing to do is choose the mode in a game by game basis (because the game modes vary a lot), but then it seems that this option has no use. I am confused.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017

I have a 1080p TV so I set up the 'boost mode' (that should work on games that are not made for the Pro) but I am not sure if I should toggle Downsampling or not? Seems like the best thing to do is choose the mode in a game by game basis (because the game modes vary a lot), but then it seems that this option has no use. I am confused.
I think there are some cases where if the game already supports supersampling by default and you activate the supersampling at a system level, the game looks... blurrier?

I personally toggle it in a game by game basis.

Deusfaux

Apr 28, 2019
ONE MINOR BUT SIGNIFICANT CHANGE REQUEST:

Can OP please properly alphabetize the lists? There are several instances where titles are out of order and it makes browsing the list more difficult than it ought to be.

Specifically the rule is that single words come before combined words using the same beginning. Dark Souls should be listed before Darksiders. Also there are just some straight up errors with where titles are placed.

If it helps for someone (me) to alphabetize it for you, I'll do that. Thanks!

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Days Gone:

WsnvKQ.png

WsnSwA.png

WsnntM.png

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I think there are some cases where if the game already supports supersampling by default and you activate the supersampling at a system level, the game looks... blurrier?

As far as I know, and as far as it was explained to me by people who are more tech-savvy than me: If the game automatically supersamples the system-wide supersampling doesn't apply, even if it is turned on. An already supersampled image output by the game can't be supersampled again by the console. So you can just leave system-wide supersampling on, it'll apply when needed.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

As far as I know, and as far as it was explained to me by people who are more tech-savvy than me: If the game automatically supersamples the system-wide supersampling doesn't apply, even if it is turned on. An already supersampled image output by the game can't be supersampled again by the console. So you can just leave system-wide supersampling on, it'll apply when needed.

Correct.

1. BFV: Renders at dynamic 1800c no matter what screen so supersampling has no effect.
2. Rocket League: 2160c only for 4k displays so PS4 Supersampling takes effect when enabled.

Leaving it on will only affect games like RL which have locked options for display type and you change it manually to access 4k or 1080p locked modes.

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the clarification guys. I really wasn't sure, but glad that i was wrong so i can leave the option checked all the time from now on.

m0dus

Truant Pixel
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
2MD:VR Football on pro features higher texture resolution, soft shadowing, longer shadow draw distance and higher MSAA (4x) as well as shorter load times.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
has Square said anything about if they patch FFX/X-2 & FFXII with the improvements both games received for the X?

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing No Man's Sky and the frame-rate seems pretty bad especially when using the terrain gun. What are the pluses and minuses to selecting the frame-rate limit option. Will it just make it more steady? Does it effect my resolution? I play on a 4K display.

wiggler

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been playing No Man's Sky and the frame-rate seems pretty bad especially when using the terrain gun. What are the pluses and minuses to selecting the frame-rate limit option. Will it just make it more steady? Does it effect my resolution? I play on a 4K display.
Pretty sure it just locks the framerate to 30. I don't think it affects resolution at all. I prefer it over higher but unstable framerate.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It locks the frame rate to 30 I believe, you can also change the resolution to 1080p for better frame rates.

Okinau

Oct 27, 2017

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
Yep, its the same res.

About Rage 2
On PlayStation 4 RAGE 2 runs at 1080p with a framerate cap of 30 FPS.
We focused on speed, so on PlayStation 4 Pro that cap is raised to 60 FPS, and the game runs at 1080p

Great News, at least for me

Great news if it consistently hits 60 FPS. But if it goes down a bunch, we might as well have 1440P locked at 30 FPS.

Jan 11, 2018
How does Xenon Racer run on PS4 Pro with and/without Boost mode? According to PR it's 60 fps in performance mode and 30 fps in graphics mode, both at 4k. But... well, the PR for this game...

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
My sincere apologies for the even lengthier delay than last time. However, my job responsibilities have gone back to normal now, so I've had time to work on the thread. I haven't completely caught up, but I've added 32 games today. Expect more regular updates going forward, on a weekly basis or so. I'll also begin answering queries and counting screenshots again--thanks to everyone who's continued to help in my absence! Finally, I'll be adding the glossary that was suggested when I last posted.

Thanks again for your patience, and please let me know if you have any questions about the dozens of new games. Have a great one!

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
My sincere apologies for the even lengthier delay than last time. However, my job responsibilities have gone back to normal now, so I've had time to work on the thread. I haven't completely caught up, but I've added 32 games today. Expect more regular updates going forward, on a weekly basis or so. I'll also begin answering queries and counting screenshots again--thanks to everyone who's continued to help in my absence! Finally, I'll be adding the glossary that was suggested when I last posted.

Thanks again for your patience, and please let me know if you have any questions about the dozens of new games. Have a great one!

Start a Patreon, professional PS4/PS5 graphics and framerate information gatherer. Looking for $100k+ in yearly subs.
Nxxr.gif

felipecaol

Jul 5, 2018

You are the best!! Thanks Liabe!

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017

As always, I appreciate all your work here. This database is incredible!

Btw, I will post some Ghost of a Tale screenshots later, it seems the latest patch changed the resolution on the PS4 Pro.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I've added another 20 titles to the lists today. There's now over 500 games listed with Pro enhancements. Even ignoring Boost Mode (where literally thousands of games might benefit), my list is still definitely incomplete. There's over 100 games in the OP's Table 3, which is titles claiming to have support, but where I can't find good screenshots to check. If you are of a mind to help, please just take a second to go over that list. If you happen to own any of the games there, and can provide 4K screens, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks for everyone's support.

Now to respond to posts I previously missed:

Here are some developer comments on PS4 Pro support for today's release of Xing: The Land Beyond:
Thanks! So they say there's a constant increase of graphical settings with VR lowest, followed by standard PS4 unlocked framerate, capped 30fps, Pro unlocked framerate, and finally Pro in quality mode. That last step is the only one where I can see anything notable--plus you also get better resolution--but the framerate has minor issues so it's not a complete win over the standard version. The fps differences are pretty slight, though.

does lego city undercover have pro support? apparently it's on the back of the box but i couldn't find any information on what's actually enhanced.
The game has appeared on the Boost Mode list since the start. Resolution is definitely not raised on Pro, but performance is better. It can be difficult to tell, because the game is unlocked but has double-buffering. That means it can only be 30fps or 60fps, nothing in-between. Pro spends a lot more time at 60fps than standard PS4, but any time the framerate would dip even a little--which is pretty often--it drops all the way to 30fps.

Given what the box says this might be an intentional mode rather than the passive Boost working, but it's not certain--those box markings have been inaccurate before. So for now I'm not going to move the game to the main support list.

Well I'm new at count pixel and resolution, but its giving me 1920x792p

2560x1440p

in my count, Anthem 3328x1872p, but all this chromatic A. is giving me a headache...i dunno if its correct...
I counted 2944x1584 in the first screen, and 2688x1440 in the second one. So basicaly is dynamic like FarCry 5 and all DLC

but like i said, take it with a grain of salt...I'm new in this kind of stuff
You're doing fine! As you've discovered, pixel counting is actually really easy in theory. It's just that post-processing can really obscure the edges you're trying to see. But it doesn't take a wizard to do it, just a keen eye, and I encourage everyone to give it a shot if they're interested. I posted some instructions and an explanation of pixel counting earlier in the thread, which should be a good starting place.

Warhammer Chaosbane beta:

Game has been a solid 60fps so far.
Thanks! As noted this is 1080p, so if the framerate is steady and high I don't know what Pro support would be adding.

XENON RACER has Pro support, Francesco Bruschi just replied this to me via PS Blog:
"For the PS4 Pro, there are a Performance mode (steady 60 FPS) and a Quality mode (steady 30 FPS), both running in 4K. Quality mode has superior graphic settings, which makes it look a bit better."

Great to have options!!
How does Xenon Racer run on PS4 Pro with and/without Boost mode? According to PR it's 60 fps in performance mode and 30 fps in graphics mode, both at 4k. But... well, the PR for this game...
I've added Xenon Racer to the list. It has official support so Boost Mode doesn't do anything. But for the actual enhancements...I don't believe it runs in native 4K in either mode on Pro. I believe it's checkerboarded for Quality mode, as there's a ton of artifacting. (This could be from dithered motion blur, but the distribution onscreen makes me think CBR.) For the Performance mode I could only find 1080p shots; if it ever runs higher--dynamic res or reconstruction being more likely than native--then I couldn't find it. (That doesn't mean it never does, of course.) The splitscreen mode runs even lower res, below 1080p. But both it and the Quality mode are improved on Pro versus standard PS4.

As another quirk, I found different segments of footage within the same video running at either 30fps or 60fps target, several times. These were continuous let's plays with no visible stop to change modes. I don't know if those were just edited out and I didn't notice, or if perhaps some tracks run at 30fps even when in Performance mode. I saw this oddity for both Pro and standard PS4 captures.

Path of Exile for Pro from the devs ama: The resolution target is 1080p, 60fps with Dynamic Resolution scaling. HDR isn't supported.
The framerate is considerably better on Pro, usually by about 15fps and often even higher. But even then it doesn't stay near 60fps, especially with high-level characters during intense combat. Standard PS4 can dip into the teens in those cases, while Pro stays above 30fps in every event I've seen.

Can OP please properly alphabetize the lists? There are several instances where titles are out of order and it makes browsing the list more difficult than it ought to be.

Specifically the rule is that single words come before combined words using the same beginning. Dark Souls should be listed before Darksiders. Also there are just some straight up errors with where titles are placed.
The lists are alphabetized using dictionary order. It's different than your preference, but not less correct. However, I'd be more than happy to correct any outright errors you've found. The lists are long and I'm not infallible. Just let me know.

(Also, if you're looking for specific titles the lists are searchable.)

2MD:VR Football on pro features higher texture resolution, soft shadowing, longer shadow draw distance and higher MSAA (4x) as well as shorter load times.
Thanks so much! It's especially difficult to get details for VR games, so I really appreciate the input.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
This appears to be 1080p, with some very aggressive AA--it's some of the softest IQ I've seen recently, which is why I only say "appears". There's a chance it could be even lower and upscaled, though my own conclusion is that it's 1080p.

Ghost of a Tale (after the latest patch)
This is definitely 1080p. Whatever changes were made in the patch, they don't appear to have been related to resolution. (Though there could be dynamism I'm missing, but these shots are all the same res.)

A Plague Tale: Innocence
This is an interesting visual approach. The game is rendering at native 2160p without AA, but then the 4K image is shaded in a very painterly fashion, which obscures texture detail and softens edges, especially in the backgrounds. There's also a lot of film grain and vignette blur. It's clearly an intentional "hand-drawn" look, undergirded by high resolution.

Rocket League on PS4 and Pro was recently updated with HDR support
Thanks! I'll add this point, and the games from above, very soon.

All the input is much appreciated, any contributions like this are welcome!

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting visual approach. The game is rendering at native 2160p without AA, but then the 4K image is shaded in a very painterly fashion, which obscures texture detail and softens edges, especially in the backgrounds. There's also a lot of film grain and vignette blur. It's clearly an intentional "hand-drawn" look, undergirded by high resolution.

It's amazing that they hit a native resolution. Considering how good the game looks, I thought it would surely use a reconstruction technique on both mid-gen upgrades. I'm hoping to finally have some time to start it tonight.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that they hit a native resolution. Considering how good the game looks, I thought it would surely use a reconstruction technique on both mid-gen upgrades. I'm hoping to finally have some time to start it tonight.
Well, there's always the possibility I'm wrong! Some reconstruction techniques are extremely hard to differentiate from standard rendering in scenes with little motion, which is what these shots appear to be.

Further, there are some aspects of these images which could indicate reconstruction: stochastic noise along vertices and within faces, and "ghost" images adjacent to objects. These are features which I'm instead interpreting as intentional noise/"inaccuracy" to achieve a particular look. The reasons I feel they don't point to reconstruction are:

* the solidity and sharpness of other geometric edges, devoid of the above aspects
* the "artifactual" noise on objects shows no bias to patterning, when even "stochastic" reconstruction tends to have visible kernels at larger scales
* a lot of the noise is definitely from chromatic aberration, film grain, and edge-enhancement, not reconstruction
* if the very sharp edges are assumed the end product of reconstruction, then the shots would likely need to be moving slowly or not at all...but temporal reconstruction ghosting artifacts only generally appear during considerable motion.
* the ghosting happens preferentially in the backgrounds, when due to parallax you'd expect more obvious motion trails in the foreground. For this reason, I believe the afterimages are a stylized DOF approximation, where adjacent low-contrast duplication suggests focal plane disjunction. In other words, I'm interpreting it as a modern version of an old technique, seen for example in PS2 games like Final Fantasy XII.

(You can see lightly duplicated geometry here next to Vaan's hair, or around Kytes and the balcony he's on. This is not motion blur, as the camera is moving very slowly at that time.)
zdof1pupdr.png

So I have (what I find to be) good reasons and stick by my description. But as always, there's a certain amount of interpretation inevitable when asserting rendering technique based solely on analysis of the final buffer. I'm not infallible.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Well, there's always the possibility I'm wrong! Some reconstruction techniques are extremely hard to differentiate from standard rendering in scenes with little motion, which is what these shots appear to be.

Further, there are some aspects of these images which could indicate reconstruction: stochastic noise along vertices and within faces, and "ghost" images adjacent to objects. These are features which I'm instead interpreting as intentional noise/"inaccuracy" to achieve a particular look. The reasons I feel they don't point to reconstruction are:

* the solidity and sharpness of other geometric edges, devoid of the above aspects
* the "artifactual" noise on objects shows no bias to patterning, when even "stochastic" reconstruction tends to have visible kernels at larger scales
* a lot of the noise is definitely from chromatic aberration, film grain, and edge-enhancement, not reconstruction
* if the very sharp edges are assumed the end product of reconstruction, then the shots would likely need to be moving slowly or not at all...but temporal reconstruction ghosting artifacts only generally appear during considerable motion.
* the ghosting happens preferentially in the backgrounds, when due to parallax you'd expect more obvious motion trails in the foreground. For this reason, I believe the afterimages are a stylized DOF approximation, where adjacent low-contrast duplication suggests focal plane disjunction. In other words, I'm interpreting it as a modern version of an old technique, seen for example in PS2 games like Final Fantasy XII.

(You can see lightly duplicated geometry here next to Vaan's hair, or around Kytes and the balcony he's on. This is not motion blur, as the camera is moving very slowly at that time.)
zdof1pupdr.png

So I have (what I find to be) good reasons and stick by my description. But as always, there's a certain amount of interpretation inevitable when asserting rendering technique based solely on analysis of the final buffer. I'm not infallible.

Sure you could be wrong but you certainly outlined good reasons for your conclusion. Having just played some of the game, it definitely has an abundance of post processing effects. It's almost distracting at first but clearly kept to the edges while not being so offensive in the focal point of the screen. The art and texture work is also high quality considering the scope of the game. Though some details are lost due to the mentioned post process effects. Definitely a gorgeous game when all is said and done.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Are you going to update Red Dead Redemption 2's HDR settings reflecting what Digital Foundry said about the latest patch?

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I already asked about it time ago but I never received a clear answer. I try again: why RDR2 in the list is reported as 2160c when the final output it's just resolved to 1920x2160p?