• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled on PS4 Pro

2019062216231609yjjj0.png

20190622162504563ok3m.png
About CTR, it looks to me like it doesn't supersample automatically... Kinda hard to tell, like Spyro, but with supersampling "on" it seems a bit clearer.

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Again, my apologies for another long delay. I've added 18 more games to the list (and did a recount, which altered some of the totals). I'm working on the requested glossary and will add it to the OP soon. I'm going back through all the list entries to regularize my usage ahead of that.

Does anyone know if Observation is PS4 Pro enhanced? Soooo cheap on EGS now, but will get it for PS4 if its 4K.
Does anyone know if Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales has Pro support?
The official PlayStation site doesn't list either game as having Pro support, though that's not conclusive--they do get this wrong, in both directions. (That is, listed as having support but doesn't, or not listed and does.) However, for both titles my counting of screenshots showed only 1080p. Any benefits would have to be in an area other than resolution (unless the standard PS4 runs below 1080p).

Are you going to update Red Dead Redemption 2's HDR settings reflecting what Digital Foundry said about the latest patch?
I already asked about it time ago but I never received a clear answer. I try again: why RDR2 in the list is reported as 2160c when the final output it's just resolved to 1920x2160p?
Yes, I've removed the "maybe better, maybe worse" formatting from the HDR tag. As for resolution, it's listed as 2160c because the final output does not just resolve to 1920x2160. That's the usual resolution, but larger or smaller portions of the frame are often displaying single-pixel detail in the horizontal.

ucizze

Aug 6, 2019
On ps4pro you have to enable it yourself in the supersampling options in order to boost the quality, it does not automatically do so because the console only informs you that it works in the supersampling mode after switching it on. And in the description is that you do not have to force it. I understand it well?

I'm talking about Apex legends

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
On ps4pro you have to enable it yourself in the supersampling options in order to boost the quality, it does not automatically do so because the console only informs you that it works in the supersampling mode after switching it on. And in the description is that you do not have to force it. I understand it well?

I'm talking about Apex legends

Apex Legends supports native supersampling already, the OS option wouldn't be doing anything. The OS notification regarding supersampling (when you have the option toggled on) appears for the first game you boot, regardless of whether that game renders higher than 1080p, is Pro-enabled, etc.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
So.... no real announcement.

I really like this franchise but it doesn't make any sense to release like this. Guess it will be one of the worst types of shadow drop.

But I'm hyped!!!

They will have a formal announcement after Gamescom along with NFS I believe, they just mentioned that a GW game would be releasing sometime during the fiscal year. I forgot to say that it was an Alpha that was recorded.

Last edited:

Koralsky

Oct 28, 2017
Dev here - we released our game about a month ago for PS4 - it is called Elea. Previously we released versions for Xbox One (with full X support) and Steam.

This new/enhanced PS4 version is interesting because it's looking and performing better on PS4 Pro than on the Xbox One X (I know, this is a very rare case).

As a small two-person team from Bulgaria we used to have X devkit for a very short time, but we managed to get Pro devkit for a longer period, so we had more time for optimizations, specific to the Pro hardware (the memory limitations of the Pro (bandwidth and quantity), compared to X was the biggest challenge for us in 4K mode).

The game (it is a first-person old-school sci-fi adventure/walking sim) is using Unreal 4.

For both PS4/PS4 Pro versions, we are using dynamic resolution, but on Pro the resolution can go as high as native 4K in Quality mode at a very steady 30FPS (the game is using fully dynamic lighting model and PBR materials - there isn't any static light in the game at all). I must add that the Pro version is mostly gravitating in around 1440p though. We lifted our ceiling higher in quality mode, mostly because with the dynamic resolution we can hit native 4K more often (or always) on PS5. This is why even in the quality mode we are giving the option to play with unlocked framerate and the resolution ceiling still at a native 4K. I do not recommend to use quality mode with unlocked framerate on PS4 or PS4 Pro consoles though. Potential 60FPS/Native 4K is for Sony's next-gen only.
In performance mode we are targeting 60FPS (they are not locked 60 on both consoles, but in gameplay scenes, they are never below 50), again with dyn-res, but the res ceiling is lower.

Compared to the original PS4, Pro version is using better shadows, better AA, better anisotropic filtering, far better screen space reflections, and post-process profile.

Compared to the Xbox One X version, Pro version is far smoother while loading newer chunks from the game, stuttering is minimal while streaming or autosaving, the lighting model is updated, there are new assets, updated materials and we are also using DS4 speaker and lightbar.

Pro version is actually very, very close to ultra settings on PC. Of course, we are not just using ultra on every effect/element in the game for Pro - we have a special PS4 Pro visual profile. Like I said though, this is the best looking and running console version of Elea.

Regarding the game itself, I think the fans of writers like Stanislaw Lem and Arthur Clarke can potentially appreciate Elea for what and how the narrative is presented.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
"Using PS4 Pro, 4K TV owners can enjoy an enhanced Death Stranding experience with dynamic 4K resolution achieved through 4K checkerboard, while HD TV owners will benefit from increased image clarity through supersampling. Players with HDR displays can also experience the game in high dynamic range color, which provides a brighter and wider range of color detail for a more vibrant image overall."

Cotrip

Oct 27, 2017
The Long Dark will get Pro support next week:

CONSOLE VISUAL ENHANCEMENTS

With the Episode Three update, we are also including our enhancements to the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. These enhancements include HDR lighting (works on Xbox One X, XBox One S, PS4 Pro, PS4), and High Resolution support (4K on Xbox One X, 1440p on PS4 Pro). All versions of High Resolution support feature dynamic scaling.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Since I'm avoiding spoilers, can anyone tell me exactly how works DS on Pro?
I've only read that on 1080p you have a performance mode but no specific resolution.
I'm playing like that and there is a lot of aliasing so I think it's native 1080p with almost no AA (surprised since Horizon on base PS4 was quite clean) and still some cutscenes have stutters.

Again, just started playing so no spoilers pls, thanks <3

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Since I'm avoiding spoilers, can anyone tell me exactly how works DS on Pro?
I've only read that on 1080p you have a performance mode but no specific resolution.
I'm playing like that and there is a lot of aliasing so I think it's native 1080p with almost no AA (surprised since Horizon on base PS4 was quite clean) and still some cutscenes have stutters.

Again, just started playing so no spoilers pls, thanks <3

4kcb on 4k screens or system super sampling mode, 1080p locked 30fps without system super sampling. Performance is really good on 4k mode so you might as well use that for image quality.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
4kcb on 4k screens or system super sampling mode, 1080p locked 30fps without system super sampling. Performance is really good on 4k mode so you might as well use that for image quality.
Ok, I'll try that but game isn't locked at 30 at all on 1080p mode, at least in cutscenes.
I guess It's a camera movement stutter then, since it surely stutter, when you check BB in privete room or when you make a delivery and you drop out from the orders thing, or just at the beginning of the game, the scenes with the blond lady are reaaally stuttery on 1080p mode.

Really strange and disappointing.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Ok, I'll try that but game isn't locked at 30 at all on 1080p mode, at least in cutscenes.
I guess It's a camera movement stutter then, since it surely stutter, when you check BB in privete room or when you make a delivery and you drop out from the orders thing, or just at the beginning of the game, the scenes with the blond lady are reaaally stuttery on 1080p mode.

Really strange and disappointing.

Digital Foundry did mention that cutscene fidelity is higher and performance does take a hit, but in 4kcb the game performance is very solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
My most sincere apologies for the 5+ month hiatus from the thread. Unfortunately, events in my work life made it impossible for me to devote the necessary time to this thread during summer and fall. For the past month I've finally had free time, and have been working to catch up to the release schedule.

I've added 61 (!) games to the support list now, and made small updates to the introduction to make it more helpful. With these five dozen titles added, the number with confirmed enhancement for regular displays is now over 500. This doesn't include the 100+ games in the VR list, or the further 100+ titles which supposedly have support, but which I haven't been able to verify. This is enough titles that I'm going to have to rearrange things to accommodate them, plus all the new enhanced games still to come.

I'll start making more regular posts in the thread, even if I haven't found the time to do analysis on games. That way, it's more clear that I'm still alive and still working on this. I do intend to keep going until at least the launch of PS5.

Once more, I appreciate the patience shown, and sorry about the sabbatical. If there's any suggestions or comments you have, please feel free to share them. As I said, I'm going to attempt more activity here, and that includes discussion. And as always, screenshots (by you or found on the web) are extremely helpful. Notes on what's needed are in the OP, with games I'm especially interested in listed in Table 3. Thanks so much!

Why does KH 3 say it has HDR support when it doesn't?
I don't have an HDR-capable display to check with, so I have to rely on reports by others. I may have gotten mistaken information. Can anyone else confirm that there's no HDR support in Kingdom Hearts III?

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My most sincere apologies for the 5+ month hiatus from the thread. Unfortunately, events in my work life made it impossible for me to devote the necessary time to this thread during summer and fall. For the past month I've finally had free time, and have been working to catch up to the release schedule.

I've added 61 (!) games to the support list now, and made small updates to the introduction to make it more helpful. With these five dozen titles added, the number with confirmed enhancement for regular displays is now over 500. This doesn't include the 100+ games in the VR list, or the further 100+ titles which supposedly have support, but which I haven't been able to verify. This is enough titles that I'm going to have to rearrange things to accommodate them, plus all the new enhanced games still to come.

I'll start making more regular posts in the thread, even if I haven't found the time to do analysis on games. That way, it's more clear that I'm still alive and still working on this. I do intend to keep going until at least the launch of PS5.

Once more, I appreciate the patience shown, and sorry about the sabbatical. If there's any suggestions or comments you have, please feel free to share them. As I said, I'm going to attempt more activity here, and that includes discussion. And as always, screenshots (by you or found on the web) are extremely helpful. Notes on what's needed are in the OP, with games I'm especially interested in listed in Table 3. Thanks so much!

I don't have an HDR-capable display to check with, so I have to rely on reports by others. I may have gotten mistaken information. Can anyone else confirm that there's no HDR support in Kingdom Hearts III?

Can confirm it doesn't support HDR.

Starok

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for your work !
This thread has been very useful.

Chrisk

Feb 9, 2019

Hey! just to contribute that in the case of PVZ BN I have managed to count 3840 * 2160p in the regular gameplay, it is not very common, but it is definitely a resolution during the gameplay; it is usually between 1620p and 1700p; so the game runs at dynamic 4K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AwfH7ovVL4&t=631s
i add the VG Tech video to help my argument haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Hey! just to contribute that in the case of PVZ BN I have managed to count 3840 * 2160p in the regular gameplay, it is not very common, but it is definitely a resolution during the gameplay; it is usually between 1620p and 1700p; so the game runs at dynamic 4K
Thanks for the input. I do usually only get to pixel count a small number of frames from screenshots, as I don't have access to most games' direct feed. I analyze framerates based on Youtube or Twitch videos, where pixel analysis is much tougher. So I can easily miss dynamic res, and I really appreciate the help!

I'll change the PvZ entry when next I update. Have a good one!

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
If I'm reading this correctly, Horizon Zero Dawn has better reflections, DOF and "lights" when running in the 1368p Performance Mode compared to the 2160c mode?

OP
OP
Liabe Brave

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm reading this correctly, Horizon Zero Dawn has better reflections, DOF and "lights" when running in the 1368p Performance Mode compared to the 2160c mode?
That is correct.

I've made further revisions to the OP, and added 7 new games to the support list. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions. As always, any 4K screenshots for unlisted games you can take or point me toward help analysis. This is especially true for those games listed in Table 3 of the OP. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Chrisk

Feb 9, 2019
After an exhaustive work counting Need For Speed Heat, i can say that the game runs at dynamic 4K, I have seen it go down to 1528p (as the most recent Modern Warfare) and can get 4K of "usual" tide but the average is between 1800 / 1880p) I know this is not a thread of the One X, but in that console, it manages to reach 4K most of the time. The truth is that I am new in this of the counts, so the difference between CB or Temporal reconstruction ishard to tell for me, but like Modern Warfare it seems to me that it uses TR to reach 4K, but as i say im not totally sure.
Have a Good day :D