• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't care whether the main protagonist is white, yellow, black, man, woman, all of that combined. I think it changes absolutely nothing and people need to stop believing they make society progress by changing the skin of a character. They don't.
Filmmaking or game making are entertainment. Helping society progresses and reducing discrimination you can do by helping people in the real world.
All those questions are just a waste of time from spoiled people who have time to think on their hand meanwhile some are actually truly helping other that need it in the real world.
Game development is not digging a pit in an abandon zone in Central Africa to help population that may need it. It is not winning a lawsuit against a discriminating group either. It's entertainment.

And the gamer perspective would add that diversity doesn't provide you a better game or a better gameplay, and this is what matter.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Why are you people surprised that non-white fathers and the non-white fatherhood experience is vastly different ?

data west

Oct 25, 2017
You should be more concerned why seemingly every 'strong female lead' in western gaming seems to be a sexually ambigous white woman with red hair

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I'm not really looking at this from a racial angle like the OP, I'm strictly looking at it from the overplayed father figure role. Although the large amount of white male protagonists is definitely its own issue within the industry that should be addressed as well, I personally don't think having a colored father figure story is the answer for better storytelling. I don't see stories like ones from Telltale's The Walking dead with Lee and Clementine to differentiate that much from the trope. It's one in the same with all of them to me, which is why I included it with the list of games I mentioned.

By all means, it is more welcomed to have a colored male protagonist than once again introducing another white male character that we've seen time and time again, but I definitely feel we can innovate further. Like for example, a mother figure protagonist.

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kratos isn't even white:
DY5ZEBUU8AAumuv.jpg

The dude is grecian. He is a spartan. That means Mediterranean which is a caucasian sub race. But that's where race becomes so tricky. Caucasian as a biological taxon and Caucasian as the US social system understands it are not the same thing.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's quite a generalization, how many of these are actually about parenting at all? TLOU is about a guy finding a reason to live, acting selfishly to have his surrogate daughter. Bioshock: Infinite is devoid of any actual fatherly moments (much to its detriment)... like yes the dadification of gaming is real, but its only a surface detail, Like only The Witcher 3 and God of War in recent years are actually about parenting in a significant way, and even in The Witcher 3 there is so much going on that the Geralt-Ciri relationship never feels as committed or big a focus as Kratos-Atreus in GoW. These games are about vastly different things beyond the surface.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The dude is grecian. He is a spartan. That means Mediterranean which is a caucasian sub race. But that's where race becomes so tricky. Caucasian as a biological taxon and Caucasian as the US social system understands it are not the same thing.
If your going to go that far, then what does "white" even mean at this point?

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All those lazy unemployed black and brown dads just not working and hanging out with their kids all day. They wouldn't understand.

I myself hope to someday become a hardworking white man that misses his kids.

Last edited:

gimbles123

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disagree with a lot of the applied context in the OP. The emotional growth that the statistically small portion of games that focus estranged parent child relationships revolve around aren't specific to any race.

The OP saying we need different perspectives feels like is has less to do with the surrogate parent story, and more with what color that parent is. I don't even agree that the best examples of this archetype are that similar in perspective. GoW, TLOU, Assassin's Creed, Walking Dead, Witcher 3 are pretty decently different in the relationships between parent and child.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
I am actually offended by the anti- white racist shit in this thread. "Dad" games should be universal, not "digestible" for certain people. We should all take offense with some of the comments in this thread. At Era, this stuff should not be tolerated.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Dads are really not all that prominent in games.

I mean i get wanting more diversity, i do too.

But indepth parent-child relationships really aren't that prevalent. Even calling it a trend is a stretch when there's not even a handful of high profile ones in the last 5 years.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Again, that wasn't my intention. I'm not implying that black people wouldn't be able to identify with fatherhood -- that's wildly off the mark. I'm saying these stories are from white guy perspectives and largely for white people because that's MOSTLY what the industry is. Hell, I'm working on a tiny indie game that features a sad dad. I'm a middle-aged white guy. It has a lot of my concerns and personal feelings in it. I'm not saying these games are bad.

What I AM saying is I want to see more games about, you know, maybe some sad moms! Or some happy moms! Or a gay/lesbian child-free couple! Or stories told from a black perspective because I do not know the black perspective, because I'm not black. I can write black people in my games (and I do), but it's still the perspective of a middle-aged white guy.

I'm just wanting to see more diversity in perspective and relationships in games, especially in the mainstream game industry because it's all feeling pretty samey to me by now. Maybe that's partly because of film and stuff too, but the point is I'm eager to see other prominent stories told by some different kinds of voices and from different perspectives.

Again, I think we absolutely need more diversity among authors and developers (but looking at God of War, for example, the combat director is black and the guy gave the entire industry a lesson, so we're getting there) but I don't really see the connection with the "sad dad trope".

In short, I don't see why if we had more middle aged black guys at the helm of videogame productions and less middle aged white guys we would necessary have less stories about sad dads. I don't think fatherhood and the struggles it brings would be any less relevant to black authors (and black players).

Another thing to consider is that the "dad angle" works both ways. I've been watching a lot of Let's Plays of God of War (incidentally mostly from black and female youtubers) and I've heard more comments along the lines of "Kratos reminds me of my dad" rather than "Atreus reminds me of my son".

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All these people getting defensive and I'm just mad that The Evil Within 2 is barely mentioned. That was a good sad dad game. I do think we need more diverse leads but we also need more diverse teams to PUSH for those leads and skip the focus testing.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am actually offended by the anti- white racist shit in this thread. "Dad" games should be universal, not "digestible" for certain people. We should all take offense with some of the comments in this thread. At Era, this stuff should not be tolerated.

I don't think anyone is being anti-white. It's a call for more diversity in a medium overly dominated by white male characters.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Off the top of my head.
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Telltale Walking Dead
  • The Last of Us
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Bioshock 2
  • Asura's Wrath
  • Yakuza
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Dishonored 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Gears of War 4
  • Fallout 4
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Tekken 7
Well there it is.

A huge chunk of the highest profile games are dad games.

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, we can agree to disagree on that.
I mean I feel like I could present pretty strong arguments that The Last of Us is Joel's story over Ellie's.

Remember the scene where Joel keeps glancing at his broken watch and then Ellie eventually makes the comment "your watch is broken"? If this is Joel's story, I think we can indunce the point of the scene is: to highlight that decades later, Joel is still thinking about his daughter every day and Ellie is now intimately tied into his old life vs. new one situation that's going on in his brain by sarcastically commenting on his most important keepsake. And this is Ellie's story, we can induce that:...Ellie is really good at pointing out broken watches? This scene would just be weird and doesn't tie into the story and the themes involved from begging to end.

I feel like I could do this for virtually every scene. Ellie is just along for the thematic exploration of Joel ride.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I never requested that
ok then, what makes Dad of Boi only "Easily Digestible to 17-32 years old white males" ??

Why are you people surprised that non-white fathers and the non-white fatherhood experience is vastly different ?
cause, fatherhood is different from everyone, disregarding race. like, really, not even 2 white dad will have the same fatherhood experience
unless im wrong, and then please tell me so things only "non white Parents" have to live with during parenthood/ raising a child?

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Dads are really not all that prominent in games.

I mean i get wanting more diversity, i do too.

But indepth parent-child relationships really aren't that prevalent. Even calling it a trend is a stretch when there's not even a handful of high profile ones in the last 5 years.

Great post.

More diversity is needed, yes, but what in the world does that have to do with fathers in games.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
You should be more concerned why seemingly every 'strong female lead' in western gaming seems to be a sexually ambigous white woman with red hair

I don't know about the white women with red hair. The last few games with female leads I played were pretty diverse.

And about the "sexually ambiguous" part, for some reason I see mostly women advocating for it these days (Hell, a lot of voice actresses ship their characters with other girls).

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
I think the minority perspective of LIFE is different. There are different concerns, different issues. As an example, a recent topic of discussion is about black families having "the talk" with their kids about police. That's not something I ever had to deal with. Other than in rare situations, I'm used to being the majority in my school -- I haven't come home upset about kids calling me names for being white. My parents haven't had to address that. I haven't had the sneaking suspicion that I'm being treated worse by people in positions of authority because of my skin color.

And how would american police brutality take effect in any of these fantastical games where america or police doesn't exist or matter in any meaningful way?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Can you actually argument that, aside from using one liners?

How is the white and nonwhite fatherhood experience "vastly different", expecially in relation to storylines like TLOU or God of War? What makes those stories relatable for "white dads" and less relatable for black dads?

Oct 24, 2017
I mean I feel like I could present pretty strong arguments that The Last of Us is Joel's story over Ellie's.

Remember the scene where Joel keeps glancing at his broken watch and then Ellie eventually makes the comment "your watch is broken"? If this is Joel's story, I think we can indunce the point of the scene is: to highlight that decades later, Joel is still thinking about his daughter every day and Ellie is now intimately tied into his old life vs. new one situation that's going on in his brain by sarcastically commenting on his most important keepsake. And this is Ellie's story, we can induce that:...Ellie is really good at pointing out broken watches? This scene would just be weird and doesn't tie into the story and the themes involved from begging to end.

I feel like I could do this for virtually every scene. Ellie is just along for the thematic exploration of Joel ride.
...I never said that Joel wasn't a major character. I just said I felt it was Ellie's story more than Joel's because I related to her a lot.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head.
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Dead Rising 2
  • Telltale Walking Dead
  • The Last of Us
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Bioshock 2
  • Asura's Wrath
  • Yakuza
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Dishonored 2
  • Heavy Rain
  • Gears of War 4
  • Fallout 4
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Tekken 7

Half of this list is a damn stretch to be boiled down to a "dad game". I played Dishonored 2 as Emily, she is a sad dad? Secobdly, of the list that does qualify, how many do it exceptionally well? Not a lot. We should be praising games like God of War for bringing great, personal tales to the medium. Not berating them for being the "wrong" great, personal tale.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I definitely didn't mean there were none (though looking back I kind of wrote it that way) - I've actually really been meaning to play Hellblade and Before the Storm. From what I've played of that group though, can't really agree about Lara / Chloe / Emily / Ellie. While they are certainly not all goody two shoes, they're not the kind of people who actively make really dubious choices like Joel or Kratos wind up doing. Overall I do think the industry is more comfortable with writing flawed male characters than female ones, but that's kind of a different issue. Even still, good group of games there, thanks.

Oh I mistook what your intention behind "flawed" was.

But yeah. It's easy to forgot how many strong female protag titles exist and are stunningly good at that. I purposfully left out Horizon because you mentioned it but it's another to add to that list of female led games. As are Mirrors Edge, Assasins Creed Liberation and Syndicate and Origins, Bayonetta, FF13 trilogy, Neir 2, Witcher 3, Darksiders 3, Primal, ReCore etc etc

The list is pretty big tbh and has all many of female protags. While I don't disagree gaming as a whole has some issues, to ignore the diversity to fit a narrative as people so often tend to do is a disservice.

If your going to go that far, then what does "white" even mean at this point?

Which is exactly my point. Jumping on the "too many white men make games and it's a problem" band wagon is short sighted. It for one ignores all the strong female talent in the industry who do have a very large say in how games are made. A few influence people off the top of my head

Bonnie Ross - The head of 343i
Kiki Wolfkill - Another 343i studio head
Shannon Studstill - Head of sony santa monica (the people who made the big sad dad game)
Amy Hening
Karla Zimonja

and there's big pushes to get women into game development as a whole with female only hackathons and microsofts womeningaming push with it's own award shows and events and countless others.

Do more men exist in the development pool in general yes but that's because women don't persue careers in STEM fields and related fields as much and that isn't always the fault of those fields it's just that as a society there's a difference between male and female culture and certain job roles are less attractive to each. I won't deny that a problem of misogyny existing in game development but like all social problems that are "hot topics" i think it's blown largely out of proportion which isn't to disregard it because it's shit but that's what happens when you have a society in which certain people are ignorant shit heads and like with anything you won't change their view. It's not institutionalised or as endemic as people make out.

Last edited:

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm happy to see the industry has grown to include more adult themes such as parenthood. The color of the skin doesn't really affect me nor does the sex of the protagonist. Success with these types of stories will naturally expand to include more variety as sales are found in the genera.

I've been really enjoying God Of War. It's the story of a Greek man / God slayer and his half Norse son. I haven't played any old white father games yet unless Last of Us is included in that description. Tell Tale's Walking Dead game featured the older man / child dynamic featuring African American protagonists. Season one was amazing. Still need to play season 2.

OP
OP
Pooh

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
All those lazy unemployed black and brown dads just not working and hanging out with their kids all day. They wouldn't understand.

I myself hope to someday become a hardworking white man that misses his kids.
Jesus, you're trying really hard here, but come down from the mount

If you guys want to say that being a POC parent is the same as being a white parent in today's day and age... well, not sure what to tell you

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a better way to phrase this is "Where's all my mom games!". I think the OP is close to a point: A lot of the most highly praised "story" games are coming from an angle of a father like figure connecting with a child. The Witcher, God of War, The Walking Dead S1, and The Last of Us are all part of this. It's not bad that they do it, but it's slightly troubling when it feels like that's the main sticking point for "higher concept storytelling" in gaming.

I also think it's a little more nuanced than one would think. It's easy to say "oh this is just because designers are dads now!' That's probably true, but I think it's also a reflection on years of hyper-masculine themes. It's not that these games necessarily break that trend, but the idea of framing these male protagonists around something that actually cracks their shell of hyper masculinity is the product of having designers getting tired, or reflecting on those stories of years past. I agree that it's a good step, but boy, we have a long way to go.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because caring for your children is a species wide constant. Your skin colour does not change that prospective.

This is true to an certain extent, however in reality people of color dont get the same opportunities as white people and this would significantly affect the difficulty of raising a child. Games based on these lines would be very different to our current dad games.

Enazrat

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
All this energy put on those useless thoughts while most of you just ignore the guy dying in the cold down the block.
The only think that matter is the quality of the product and changing skin is not changing anything about that.
If you want to help diversity, help people irl, build an association, make your voice heard because of the quality of your work, serve as an example, help south economic countries grow and so on depending on your position.
But for christ sake let media and art in peace and let people tell the story they want without forcing any moral knight thoughts on those. Kratos is a spartan, he is not black or chinese.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
And how would american police brutality take effect in any of these fantastical games where america or police doesn't exist or matter in any meaningful way?

Yeah this is true, though ironically enough one of the "dad" games that some are attacking in this thread, The Witcher 3, can approximate the minority experience because of how Geralt faces a lot of prejudice.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I think saying vastly is a stretch, but if I've learned anything from my non-white friends, there's diversity that comes with different cultural upbringing. Having said that, cultural upbringing definitely changes without race needing to, people just tend to use that as a marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.