• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
The only Outlaws I accept are the Las Vegas Outlaws

WFIpisz.png

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even like the NFL (FREE KAEP), but the Oakland Raiders got the hardest team name/logo/colors in professional sports.

Dallays Cowboys and the Oakland Raiders have the slickest names in the game

Im not saying the NFL names suck, quite the opposite, im using well established names that we have come to accept that are not too different from the names we're seeing here.

What makes "Cowboys" and "Raiders" less cringey than "outlaws"?

What makes "Valiant" suck more the "Patriots"? What makes "Fusion" more shameful than "Chargers"?

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Those are pretty cool. Hope this sticks around and makes some waves in the esports scene. Will it be televised? What channel?

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Im not saying the NFL names suck, quite the opposite, im using well established names that we have come to accept that are not too different from the names we're seeing here.

What makes "Valiant" suck more the "Patriots"? What makes "Fusion" more shameful than "Chargers"?

I never said they were worse on a comparison basis. Most team names in general are bad, IMO

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
some of the names like NY Excelsior are fucking terrible lol.

aside from the names, the OWL venture is something I've been skeptical of since they announced that insane buyout. I guess Blizzcon will be the first major test for it.

OP
OP
Crushed

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized that the Florida logo isn't just meant to be an M for Mayhem; it's an O for Orlando and an M for Miami.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Outlaws and Spitfire are my favorites as far as logos go.

Still laughing at Excelsior. No, calling it "NYXL" does not make it better.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Love the London logo, looks like those emblems they use in football

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm Dallas fuel seeing that they have the only Australian in the league.

Custa is sick though

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Gotta say, not a fan of them doing this. Much prefer the silly and crazy names that you find in the DOTA2 esports scene. Always disliked the naming conventions used in American sports.

I think you aren't in the audience this is aimed at then. These names are good. Adding city affiliations should help with a sense of local pride.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Yup, New York get's played with that logo. We the capital of the universe son and we get a default decal from a racing game. Korea and L.A. Gladiators get popping logos. And how the hell freaking Boston gets love with their logo, Boston.

MrMatt555

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF at the two LA teams. Guess the trend extends to esports now as well. Oh well. I don't follow it enough yet to have a knee jerk reaction as to who I'm rooting for. Guess I gotta watch and see (Reinhardt is cool tho).

AbbaZabba

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

These 2 have the problem of "what do you call an individual player?" There's probably a term or phrase for it, but a member of the Chargers is a Charger, same for the Patriots. What do you call a member of the Valiant or the Fusion? I'm pretty sure that's something that a lot of people don't like (looking at you OKC)

rakkadakka

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, New York get's played with that logo. We the capital of the universe son and we get a default decal from a racing game. Korea and L.A. Gladiators get popping logos. And how the hell freaking Boston gets love with their logo, Boston.

The logo AND the name.

New York Excelsior? Are they a chess team?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still confused by the naming for these teams, they don't represent the areas that they are playing under the name of (particularly Cloud9/London) and the American sport naming convention also does no favours for trying to make it seem like a global league.

Masaru

Oct 28, 2017
Outlaws and Dragons are pretty dope. Lotsa blue-colored teams though, I think it'll be a bit confusing.

Sealtest

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for London Spitfires. My Grandfather worked on them in WW2 for Canada and even my local OHL team is called the Spitfires.

I'm kinda annoyed they went with just Spitfire instead of Spitfires to symbolize the entire Team/Fleet but I guess they must've had a reasoning behind it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15848

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NY got the worst logo and name and its not even close lol We're also owned by the New York Mets Jeff Wilpon so I expect failure and disappointment just by association.

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gotta say this whole system seems pretty dumb to me.

and that's not even mentioning the fact that they seem to be putting the cart before the horse wrt their competitive scene vs the overall health and popularity of the game. i've played more overwatch than any other game in the last 5 years so i'm definitely the target market but it's not even a good pro game to watch.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
So the cities each team are aligned to is absolutely meaningless? I mean the London team is Cloud 9 which probably doesn't even have a player that has stepped foot in the UK.

boston is owned by kraft group. dallas and houston owners are from dallas. los angeles is owned by the group that owns the rams. other los angeles owners are based there. NY is owned by owner of the mets. philadelphia is owned by the owner of the fliers. san francisco is based out of california. chinese team is owned by a chinese company. south korea team's owner is from south korea too. so i guess just london and miami are completely random.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Houston has the best logo by far.

I'll be rooting for Houston and Seoul because I've lived in both of them.

Last edited:

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017
Expect Korea to dominate the first season of OWL, except for the Dallas Fuel, no one will be anywhere near close to touching the Top 3 or even Top 5.

1. Seoul Dynasty

Seoul just picked up a ridiculous DPS duo that they sorely needed. Esca was the back of the team, he was not only the mentor but the caller for the team, but he lacked the aim for that level of play. Whoru is now on Lunatic-Hai 2 until he is 18 (Lunatic-Hai from now on) as they are gonna play on Apex. Fleta and especially Munchkin absolutely destroy, and i would argue that Munchkin is on the level of Effect, the best tracer in the game. They have the best Support combo in the entire game by very.. very.. very far. And one of the best if not the best Tank Combo. Up until getting the new DPS duo, they were always known for playing around their Tanks and Supports, they do whatever is needed to keep their Supports alive, as they are the reason the Tanks (mostly Miro) get to do so much work. Signing xepheR is probably the most questionable decision in the entire league, ahem, besides the Boston Uprising roster.

2. London Spitfire

Cloud 9 picked up initially the entire Kongdoo Panthera roster, and just a few days before the deadline to sign new players, they signed the winners from Apex Season 4 and Apac GC Busan and they are asbsolutely ridiculous, destroying both Lunatic-Hai twice 3-0 (before they upgraded their DPS), and Kongdoo Panthera 4-0. I am absolutely mind-blown with that roster, if Seoul aren't careful they will lose the first place to the London Spitfire. Birding, Rascal, Profit and Hooreg. The only DPS that is only so-so is Hooreg, and even he destroyed the old Kongdoo Panthera and Lunatic-Hai on Apex. Profit is on the same level as Munchkin and Effect. HaGoPeun is AMAZING on Zenyatta, and Woohyal might be one of the best Flex in the entire game. They also have Bishop as their coach so there is that.

3. Dallas Fuel

Dallas is a weird one, they signed players just for the sake of it it seems. Their core is ridiculous, but outside the game, you need to have marketable players, players that are "e-famous" and are popular on Twitch and Youtube, and for those niches you have Seagull and xQc, but let's be clear, none of them are on the level of the rest of the team, much less to be part of a Top 5 OWL team. Custa is great, and he is genuinely good at remaining calm and focus calling. Unfortunately, i don't see Mickie getting much use on this team, i can see them triple DPSing with Effect, Taimou and Seagull. I genuinely don't get them signing xQc, yes his Winston is aggressive which they sorely needed as Cocco is pretty passive on the ape, but he an absolute mess calling wise, takes absolutely random decisions, overextends like a mofo.

4. New York Excelsior

New York, or Luxurious Watch Blue need to get their shit together, i am putting them at 3rd based on their roster, but they had 4 seasons of Apex to win and they had none. Saebyeolbe, Libero and Pine are amazing, keep an eye on Team Korea at the World Cup to see a bit from Saebyeolbe. Mano is considered the best Winston in the game currently, and Winston is the most important pick in the game as of present meta., so much so that he got the Team Korea place instead of Miro (Questionable?).

5. Shanghai Dragons

Weird one.. Shanghai Dragons could had just picked up the entire roster of Miraculous Youngster yet.. they didn't. Their roster is great yet they could had gotten a much better one by picking at least a few players from MY. Highly, highly questionable in my opinion.

6. Houston Outlaws

Pretty exciting roster, it's basically the FNRGFE roster with the additions of Rawkus, Jake, Mendokusaii, SPREE and Linkzr. The roles they were lacking they filled with some of the best options in the market. Linkzr is one of the best if not the best Tracer in the west. Jake is highly flexible though not perfect on any hero. Rawkus is extremely solid, as far as backlines go, it's one of the best the west can offer.

7. San Francisco Shock

This team is surely gonna be on the top half of the table however i don't understand their signings.. and for that reason, i am putting them at 7th. They have 5 DPS and none of them are considered the best at their heroes. Sinatraa is ridiculously overrated, IDDQD is washed up and hasn't been seen playing a single scrim/match in ages, and he was always a one trick pony on McCree. Nevix, Danteh and Babybay are.. ok at best. I understand getting Nevix, he is one of the most versatile players in the entire game, he has played practically every role from Support to Flex to DPS. dhaK is a weird one, while he is one of the best Lucios in terms of mechanical skill (he is great at getting behind the other team, opening space for his team and so on), that's not needed at all at this level, you don't open up with a Lucio, and any Lucio that plays that aggressively at this level is begging to get put in his place. I much, much prefer and highly rate a player such as Tobi, he plays extremely intelligently and never dies which is what a Lucio needs to do.

8. Florida Mayhem

Misfits are a team that will most likely put up a fight against better team but choke incredibly hard against worse teams. Their roster is pretty meh though there are rumors of them having signed a few players from Gigantti. Zebbosai is one of the worst Lucios of the league, is extremely inconsistent and is known (especially in TF2) for being unstable, he wakes up from day to day wanting to play a different role, there are also rumors that he back-stabbed Reinforce. Logix is supposed to be their triumph yet.. he was terrible against a much much better LiNkzr. On the other hand, TviQ is extremely inconsistent, he does have moments where you could put him at the top at his hero pool but he needs his entire team to open space for him, he can't play carry, he chokes pretty hard when trying it. If his team and especially Logix do their job, TviQ will help them get some wins. All in all, they are gonna be pretty meh the entire season.

9. Los Angeles Valiant
10. Philadelphia Fusion
11. Los Angeles Gladiators

None of the above teams (9th-11th) are worth mentioning as of now. The roster from the Philadelphia Fusion is not known, but aKM is definitely not on the roster as he is looking for a team for Contenders Season 2, same for Knoxx. They need to get some seriously good players, and there aren't that many left. Hopefully they got the entire roster of Runaway, or at least part of it. It's rumored that Stitch is on OWL, so he would most likely be on this team.

12. Boston Uprising

LOL! What the hell is going on here, how did the Kraft Group get a spot on OWL for $20 million dollars + Salaries + Staff + Accommodations + Everything else, yet.... they signed the absolute worst roster in OWL. It's genuinely laughable, you can build better teams with Tier 2 players, or with the rest of players that didn't get signed into OWL such as Shadowburn, aKM, Kryw, Knoxxx, plenty of Korean players and so on. They are the mascot of the Overwatch League, and absolute joke. I personally blame the "President of Gaming" Huk (LMAO). He is not gonna keep that job for much longer.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Honestly been disappointed with a lot of OWL news. This is the first thing in a while to get me excited about it.

Really dissapointed w the NY team and the lack of putting a focus on localities in rosters. I know, sports, right? But I coulda swore OWL was announce with a focus on that right? Maybe I just read into it wrong and set myself up for dissapointment with weirdo expectations.

That NY name is a joke, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_New_York

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow didn't expect it to be like Los Angeles X and Houston Y. Thought it was going to be like more traditional like Optic Gaming and all that. Very cool, like the colours too