• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 25445

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone else obsess about all the money they feel they could have saved throughout their life?
I even grew up really poor and I still find myself wasting money and it hurts

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah. It's of no use to me once I'm dead. Might as well enjoy it.
I am still more frugal than I wish I was though.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
Stop wasting your money and put it towards something you want to do/have?
I thought this a few months ago and got myself into gear and booked a holiday to Japan next year.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I sometimes think about it but it's a balancing act between living and saving. If I were to be a miserable miser until I'm 70 and sitting on a pile of cash would I look back and be happy with my decision? Probably not.

I just divert enough savings to meet my retirement goals and try not to worry too much if I blow the rest. Can't take it with you.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't even want to think about how much my wife and I have spent on Funko POP figures.

But, no I don't think about it too much. I practice frugality when appropriate but I'm not going to restrict myself from splurging on things from time to time.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Don't look back, it is meaningless. Just start budgeting if you feel this way. It's always good to have a budget.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not as much as SNL money.

Only Kenan knows for sure

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
After having a child it's not so much a case of wishing we'd saved more, it's a case of wondering where the hell it went when there was just the two of us?!

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Not really...was poor all my life, kinda still am. If anything there are times when I was being extremely frugal when spending a tiny bit would've improved my life a lot. I've tried to be better about that in recent years.

I do think maybe I should've invested some of my savings a few years ago. But for various reasons this job has never really felt safe or stable even though it's the longest I've ever worked in one place (4 1/2 years).

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
money is what you trade your life essence for
your-money-or-your-life.jpg

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm here to enjoy the ride as much as I can. Money come and go. Life flies.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
As long as there's enough to pay the bills then I don't really care. Anything after that point is bonus, so I don't spend a lot of time stressing over it. Money isn't all that important.

Now time, THAT's something that's actually valuable.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I am very frugal, but not miserly. Heck, my parents even compliment me all the time on it. So when I choose to spend, I usually feel good about it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I have a friend that saved pretty much everything he got as gifts growing up, and used it to pay for most of his college. I bet that was nice, but he has always lived a fairly simple life and never really did anything extravagant.

On the other hand, most of the frivolous stuff I've spent money on are things to enjoy. Be responsible, but at least enjoy life. Someone told me that they saved money most of their life and didn't start to travel until they were older, and kind of regretted it since they don't have as much energy at that age.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nope! The dumb shit I spent money on was for personal enjoyment and mental survival. When it's all said and done, at least we got to say "we ran up the digits we ran up the money".

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you're spending it on. For example, the biggest amount of extra spending I'm to make all year involves a trip to visit some of my friends, and I've never traveled before. What you're using money for matters.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it's good to examine what you've spent your money on.

Was it worth it? Was it wasteful? If it was wasteful, how can you prevent yourself from making the same mistake?

I wish I hadn't bought that racing wheel because I don't use it. But most of the purchases I've made this year have been at least good purchases. I may not be using them myself, but most of them are in use.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
I learned to be really frugal from my dad. I inadvertently picked up a lot of bad shit from him, but the frugalness has been 95% more of a blessing than a curse.

Also, more things = more responsibility = more anxiety for me. I splurge on my PC (and formerly sneakers as well but I'm kind of over that) but that's pretty much it.

Deleted member 59245

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
California
Not really. My mindset is any money I spend, I'm going to make again. And I didn't "waste" money if I bought something. I don't have the money but I have whatever I spent it on.

And once I'm dead it won't matter how much money I or anyone else has. It's morbid to think about, but we're all gonna go in the same ground and decompose the same and be eaten by the same bugs. Doesn't matter if you have a billion or a penny to your name when you die.

Money is important in a social sense, you need it to basically do anything, especially in America. Whether it's as important as getting medical help, or something as dumb as buying a new video game, it all costs money. But don't let money control you. When you break free of thinking about money and wealth all the time, you'll have a much happier, productive life. Which usually leads to making more money.

Nope! The dumb shit I spent money on was for personal enjoyment and mental survival. When it's all said and done, at least we got to say "we ran up the digits we ran up the money".
This boy gets it.

No greater legal or financial authority than Young Thug this is a fact.

Oct 27, 2017
As long as I put my annual goal for retirement I don't feel bad about spending some money here and there. I don't spend a whole lot, though, as most of what I enjoy to do (walking, hikes) cost little to no money. Otherwise, I'm pretty minimalist and like it that way.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Not really. I feel like I've only ever wasted a little money here and there, like most people. Essentially, the experiences we have had (and will have) were made possible by the money we spent, taking some of the sting out of it if not totally making it worth it.
  • We spent a nice chunk of money for our wedding/honeymoon a couple of years ago. At the time and shortly after, I thought we could have tightened the budget on some things, but the wedding and honeymoon were unforgettable and awesome, and they made us happy, so I don't regret our choices.
  • Also, earlier this year we finished our basement media room and nailed our budget except for some unexpected electrical costs. We spend so much time down there already, our friends love to come hang out for movie nights, and our (growing) family will enjoy the space for years down the road. It makes us happy and was a good investment in our home, so again, no regrets.