• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm always reading people singing the praises of Final Fantasy IX, talking about how refreshing its charming visual style is, the beautifully woven story and characters, and how Ito deserves to be the director of Final Fantasy XVI.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I often wonder where were you all when the game was launched under a tirade of constant mockery and low sales?

I still remember how in nearly every forum I visited at the time, FFIX was being criticized for its "shitty muppets" designs and "Disney-fied" story. Even major gaming sites at the time were joining in the mockery, despite also giving it the high scores it deserved.

And then World of Final Fantasy comes out, and people were also quick to bash on the refreshingly charming art style once again, this time yelling at the game for looking like some Lego/Funko knockoff and hating on all the dialogue and characters (both which I personally found hilarious).

So when you're all wondering why Ito won't be named head director of FFXVI by now, well....it's your fault.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
This is a typical FF cycle. New game releases. Fans trash it and praise the old game. Time passes and now the old is gold and new is trash. Repeat.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
I was playing the game and fighting people who thought it looked too childish.

Also I was 13.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't this game sold like 5M copies? I'm sure Era has way less users than that.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it when it came out.

I've bought subsequent rereleases.

It's my favorite FF game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I was too young to post about it on forums.
I do all I can now though! Best game ever

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I knew I should have bought more than just one copy at the time.

...what an absolutely bizarre topic.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Bought it launch day, bought it again when it became a PS Hits or whatever. Bought the iOS version. Bought the PS4 version. Will be buying the Xbox version. I think I've done enough to support the game.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I got it for Christmas the year it dropped and since then I've bought it at least 2 more times.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I don't blame anyone for skipping on FF9 or World of Final Fantasy.

Art Style can impact someone's enjoyment and in the case of World of FF, that chibi style just isn't gonna fly with a lot of people. Especially at full-price or close to full-price.

As for FF9, in the west it came out pretty late much like FF12 did. Where most people were really on the next-gen kick. So even playing an older game wasn't seen as needed. Besides that when you started a new fanbase with 7 and 8 being Sci-fi and go back to actual fantasy. You're gonna have people not wanting to bother with it.

The fact that FF9 still sold well and is highly regarded I think is more than enough of a legacy. Sure it should be loved a bit more and not be so underrated. But at least it's known compared to other titles that don't even get that far in other genres.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I was 14 and just started to love RPGs that year thanks to a LTTP play of Chrono Trigger. I got FF9 two years later of the release and only because a friend made me promise I would give FF another chance (played FF7, and FF8; and I couldn''t bear their awful main characters).

So yeah, I was two years late. Sorry.

Last edited:

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I was like, 10, and I had an N64, not a PS1. But I did manage to play bits of it on my friend's PS1, and I loved the game enough to post a rumor (read: lie) online that you could get a sword called Excalibur 2 by playing it for over 100 hours and doing some obscure stuff. :)

It was the best Final Fantasy when it came out and it still is today.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I was in highschool I believe and picked it up day one. Didn't go on any gaming sites but I think the few magazines I read gave it good review and most of the kids I knew that enjoyed rpgs liked it. Game was absolutely beautiful for its time too. The intro cut scene was gorgeous. I figured it sold well?

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I... I've rented it like a dozen of times. I dunno why I didn't buy it back then (or my parents for that matter). Would've been cheaper. Got my own physical copy yeeears later.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I was loving it and wouldn't really have the internet for another 10 months to know that people didn't like it.

All my friends at the time were huge FFIV and VI nerds so it was a breath of fresh air to all of us.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Mockery? Low sales?

Who cares about all that in 2000? The internet was not really a thing yet. I was still a kid and played it with my friend and we both loved it. I never knew that it got such bad receptions until a decade later or so.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was playing it, but would've liked it more if not for the combat. Not one of my favorites, really.

Not until three years after release. Either way, it sold the worst of the PS1 mainline FFs.

It is but I think it's understandable coming after the completo different art style of FF VII and VIII.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it day 1, however I still like VII and VIII more than IX. Also, it was a huge departure stylistic from the previous two releases which turned a lot of people off.